Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
No photos, I was too busy watching it. There's plenty of videos on YT or at least there soon will be. I'd sooner have the experience than the photos.
And that was actually the last? Feck. Glad I went then!

mooseracer

Guru
A bodge of the cleat and off I went this morning in very different, and more typical, Cornish weather - cloud and a strong wind.

I convinced myself it was the relentless up and down that was making it hard work and not last night's "rugby watching refreshments". 38 miles and blooming heck it was hard work.

https://www.strava.com/activities/406046340

Quite glad to now be back in the Cotswolds - aka the flatlands. Cornwall and I have unfinished business the next time the weather is good and there's a room free at my parents.

mooseracer

Guru
I did that climb out of Portreath this summer its hard .Kudos on attempting a 100 on those roads and HILLS . I had just done coast to coast and rode to the cafe at Godreivy the ride along the cliff tops is stunning .Shame the ride had to be cut short it would have been epic . The elevation chart on strava makes interesting viewing :surrender:

Today's profile is worse!

gavgav

Guru
A milestone ride for me today, with my 1st imperial half century in 2015, my longest solo non-event ride and 2nd longest ride ever ^_^. Also had about 20 miles of brand new territory and is up there with the best rides I've ever done.

I had a lie in, due to the forecast fog and when I got up at 10am I pulled the curtains back, expecting to still see the fog trying to clear, but it was in fact glorious sunny blue skies :okay:

Donned the shorts and a jacket, which turned out to be perfect attire on a warm October day that only felt cool on downhill sections in the shade.

Took the cycle paths to Shelton and then joined the busy B road to Montford Bridge, where I had my only close pass of the day from a roller skate masquerading as a Mercedes. Happy with that considering I had some busy roads to contend with later in the ride.

I followed NCN route 81 to Shrawardine and Pentre, before continuing along lanes to Kinnerley.

Lovely day for a ride
image.jpeg

At 16 miles into the ride I joined new roads and headed up to Knockin, pausing for a photo of the cricket ground where I scored my highest ever league score back in 2002 (48 runs....I'm a bowler!!)
image.jpeg

I then turned out onto busier roads for a short section, before getting back onto lanes again to Woolston. I paused for lunch shortly after and had a friendly chat with some walkers who remarked on the fabulous weather.

Lunch stop looking towards Wales
image.jpeg

Next was West Felton and then Grimpo and Rednal, where i joined some fabulous wide smooth and almost traffic free roads, meaning I could press on a good rate and keep the average speed up to a respectable level. This was my favourite section of the whole ride.

I continued through Hordley and Tetchill, before finding a few hills to climb over towards Lee and then Whitemere, where there were lots of boats out on the Mere.
image.jpeg

I crossed the busy A528 with no problem and headed towards Colemere, before a right turn and some more climbing up to English Frankton. From there I descended to Loppington and a quick left and right onto the Noneley road.

Loppington Church
image.jpeg

I took a left at Noneley and headed towards a place called Tilley, pausing for another food stop, whilst watching some light aircraft flying from the nearby airfield.

When I arrived in Wem I was back onto roads that I knew, but hadn't used in this direction. I wasn't particularly looking forward to this section, as it involves busy main roads to Shawbury, with a horrid crossing of the A49 to contend with as well. However the traffic gave me loads of room and the A49 cross roads was trouble free. The only downside was that I was cycling into the strengthening Easterly breeze, which made it hard going.

I arrived in Shawbury and crossed the A53 towards Bings Heath, where I could feel my energy levels depleting, so I stopped for some Fizzy Cola Bottles that I'd popped in the bag at the last minute :tongue:

An audience watching me consume sweets
image.jpeg

It was hard going up Ebury Hill and then East Haugmond, before the descent to Upton Magna and Uffington, where I joined the old canal path, which was way too busy with walkers and dogs for my liking, so I diverted up Sundorne Road and then down the cycle paths to Reabrook.

There was then a short section through Sutton Farm, arriving back home tired and saddle sore but having throughly enjoyed a fabulous ride in glorious sunshine.

57.8 miles at 12.0mph avg, which I was chuffed with over that distance.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Had a day off the road bike and ventured over to Epping forest with my two Daughters three Grandchildren and my better half. Was the first time the two elder grandaughters have ridden there own bikes in the forest we covered 10 miles including a stop at The Royal Forest Hotel for some light refreshment, A beer for me, then a gentle ride back to my daughters for an ice cream, Lovely afternoon out.
the%20girls.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A milestone ride for me today, with my 1st imperial half century in 2015, my longest solo non-event ride and 2nd longest ride ever ^_^. Also had about 20 miles of brand new territory and is up there with the best rides I've ever done.

I had a lie in, due to the forecast fog and when I got up at 10am I pulled the curtains back, expecting to still see the fog trying to clear, but it was in fact glorious sunny blue skies :okay:

Donned the shorts and a jacket, which turned out to be perfect attire on a warm October day that only felt cool on downhill sections in the shade.

Took the cycle paths to Shelton and then joined the busy B road to Montford Bridge, where I had my only close pass of the day from a roller skate masquerading as a Mercedes. Happy with that considering I had some busy roads to contend with later in the ride.

I followed NCN route 81 to Shrawardine and Pentre, before continuing along lanes to Kinnerley.

Lovely day for a ride
View attachment 105759

At 16 miles into the ride I joined new roads and headed up to Knockin, pausing for a photo of the cricket ground where I scored my highest ever league score back in 2002 (48 runs....I'm a bowler!!)
View attachment 105760
I then turned out onto busier roads for a short section, before getting back onto lanes again to Woolston. I paused for lunch shortly after and had a friendly chat with some walkers who remarked on the fabulous weather.

Lunch stop looking towards Wales
View attachment 105761

Next was West Felton and then Grimpo and Rednal, where i joined some fabulous wide smooth and almost traffic free roads, meaning I could press on a good rate and keep the average speed up to a respectable level. This was my favourite section of the whole ride.

I continued through Hordley and Tetchill, before finding a few hills to climb over towards Lee and then Whitemere, where there were lots of boats out on the Mere.
View attachment 105762

I crossed the busy A528 with no problem and headed towards Colemere, before a right turn and some more climbing up to English Frankton. From there I descended to Loppington and a quick left and right onto the Noneley road.

Loppington Church
View attachment 105763

I took a left at Noneley and headed towards a place called Tilley, pausing for another food stop, whilst watching some light aircraft flying from the nearby airfield.

When I arrived in Wem I was back onto roads that I knew, but hadn't used in this direction. I wasn't particularly looking forward to this section, as it involves busy main roads to Shawbury, with a horrid crossing of the A49 to contend with as well. However the traffic gave me loads of room and the A49 cross roads was trouble free. The only downside was that I was cycling into the strengthening Easterly breeze, which made it hard going.

I arrived in Shawbury and crossed the A53 towards Bings Heath, where I could feel my energy levels depleting, so I stopped for some Fizzy Cola Bottles that I'd popped in the bag at the last minute :tongue:

An audience watching me consume sweets
View attachment 105767

It was hard going up Ebury Hill and then East Haugmond, before the descent to Upton Magna and Uffington, where I joined the old canal path, which was way too busy with walkers and dogs for my liking, so I diverted up Sundorne Road and then down the cycle paths to Reabrook.

There was then a short section through Sutton Farm, arriving back home tired and saddle sore but having throughly enjoyed a fabulous ride in glorious sunshine.

57.8 miles at 12.0mph avg, which I was chuffed with over that distance.
:bravo:

Diggs

Veteran
OK so not many miles in this weekend as yesterday was the Diglets first Go Ride at the Olympic track in Hadleigh. Now it's open it looks a fantastic venue
They enjoyed the pumptrack more than the mountain biking but, hey, little steps ,little steps....
pumptrack.jpg

Fortunately the sun was still shining today so I took off for a bit of a local bridleway loop post mini rugby whilst Mrs D was pottering in the garden.
The really muddy bits I encountered last time I did this route had been resurfaced but little did I realise how energy sapping deep loose chippings on a steady incline would be...

mtb.jpg

field.jpg

church.jpg

brook.jpg

13 rider

Guru
A bodge of the cleat and off I went this morning in very different, and more typical, Cornish weather - cloud and a strong wind.

I convinced myself it was the relentless up and down that was making it hard work and not last night's "rugby watching refreshments". 38 miles and blooming heck it was hard work.

https://www.strava.com/activities/406046340

Quite glad to now be back in the Cotswolds - aka the flatlands. Cornwall and I have unfinished business the next time the weather is good and there's a room free at my parents.
I think we both can confirm Cornwall is officially hilly

Mike_P

Guru
First time out on the bike for a week today so made up for last Sundays flat Vale of York ride with some nice downhills including a new one for me, Dacre down to Darley Mill
Dacre.jpg

and obviously followed by a climb (yet again starting round a bend) to Darley itself
Darley Mill.jpg
Darley 2.jpg

Headed east to Ripley and NCN67 on which the dedicated cycleway section was full of slow cyclists (young and old) bar the guy I followed, three horses and various dogs including a West Highland Terrier whose direction of travel was thankfully slower than its legs could move at
wht.jpg

Now after last Sundays problems with my Garmin I should have learnt my lesson and used the mobile for Strava but I did not. The Garmin went way off route yet again, despite having previously tracked perfectly along the road in question. More annoying was that Strava failed to pick up any sections of note and oddly the ride comes out as 23.5 miles on Strava and 22.4miles on Garmin Connect - both agree on 1473ft climbed. Plotting the ride on Strava gives 22.9 miles but 2400ft climbed!

Last edited:

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
This Sunday's (041015) ride was the 75 mile route on the Aviva Tourride from Worcester. I thought it really well organised, with a closed road for the start, nice welcome home at the finish, and near faultless signage on the route. On top of all that, a really nice day weatherwise too!
One or two interesting hills where I had to pedal quite a lot, but the bike did what was expected of it and got up without needing to stop!

https://www.strava.com/activities/406362476

Quick note on a couple of rides to report;

First a sunny(but chilly at first)club run with a nice group and good pace;

https://www.strava.com/activities/405345195

And more importantly the other halfs proper first ride on her new Avail 3;a nice easy(for me^_^) 60km ride to and back from Denver sluice.She was flagging a bit at the end but kept going nicely(despite me nagging her to stop free-wheeling:rolleyes:),think she did really well and a bit more 'pace' to come I reckon.
Also all done on flat pedals and trainers so I reckon she'll do even better once she gets some proper shoes and pedals sorted;one step at a time though.

IMG_20151004_121247086_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151004_121729170_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151004_124408969.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride as usual.

I needed to get out on the bike to clear my head and stretch my legs a bit. With no particular route in mind, I headed along the Washlands cycle path and through the town via the riverbank cycleways to the banks of the Grand Union Canal on my CX.
As I rode through Pineham towards a bridleway I use occasionally, I saw a riding mate heading out in his truck to a Sainsburys supermarket somewhere or another. A quick toot and a wave, plus a text an hour later confirmed our seeing each other. I think he was jealous :whistle:

Once through Duston I popped in to Harleston Firs to try out a few of the trails there. As it was a sunny Sunday, there were loads of people enjoying the place, so headed for the far end, where it was a bit quieter, and played around for a short while.
Leaving the Firs via the golf club bridleway, I decided to drop into Pitsford for an ice cream.

DSC_2465.JPG

The res was really busy as well, with loads of folk riding, walking, jogging, fishing and sailing around the place..

DSC_2473.JPG

There's plenty of trout for the fly fishermen there, though I didn't see anyone getting pulled into the water from their boats today!

After dodging all the weekend visitors, I couldn't decide which way to ride, and ended up in Moulton Village and then Sywell Aerodrome.

DSC_2476.JPG

IMG_20151004_142422.jpg

They had loads of old American Cars on display in the car park, plus a lass in period clothes being photographed by all and sundry, including me.

Back home from there with a few lefts and rights down the lanes on 44 miles, yet again wishing I'd have worn shorts!

https://www.strava.com/activities/406114477

:smile:

Top Bottom