Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Excuse cross posting from show us your newbie progress
Did the Epic- Box Hill Sportive.
It was only 8 days since legs of steel, and could still feel the after-effects slightly.
I rode conservatively, though as it went I still foud it very tough.

First was an ascent of Box Hill, very routine for me. Then the rather steeper Ranmore Common climb.
There was a norther loop up through Effingham and Ockham and West Horsley, then a climb of a hill called perhaps Shere Hill I had not done before, quite tough

Then a smaller climb near Albury called Radnor Road climb
There were Ravens at the top (quite uncommon in Surrey)
THe next 60 odd miles were what looked on the profile to be undulating terrain. However it was quite wearing, there were few flats and by the time the proper hills started again, was quite tired in the legs
Route followed a typically loopy sportive route, via Carnleigh, Godalming, Hascombe, and down to near Billingshurst in Sussex.

Serious hills again were Box Hill and White Downs
The latter I found quite hard, and there were a few shell shocked cyclists at the finish

NOt a ride for quick times!

102.86 miles @ 13.3 mph
Feet climbed were 7615 feet, most I have done
https://www.strava.com/activities/411001082

@Stonechat

Good ride - I miss reading about your rides as I don't go to Newbies much these days. No particular reason tbh. Keep x-posting! :smile: Unless it's against the rules of course.

Last edited:

Diggs

Veteran
Ok it's been a busy weekend so here we go..
Firstly a quick blast on the Saturday social
IMG_20151010_134759.jpg

Another early start this morning as Sunday is all about the kids again (excuse the non-cycling related post....post geddit )
rugby.jpg

Then back home for the Diglets to get their homework finished and for dad to sneak out and have a little bit more of the lovely October sun
IMG_20151011_153547.jpg

IMG_20151011_153752.jpg

Group of three rides from yesterday.

First a steady 20 odd kms with the better half;she's still getting used to her Avail and had a tumble at a junction but much better at holding a nice cadence now.She's also got some bargain Giro shoes coming off the 'bay so will have to get some pedals soon;prob going for Look keo classics.

https://www.strava.com/activities/410831159

Then after we got back I went out on my own as I had missed the club ride on Saturday due to a bit of sickness(and the club curry night!),nice ride but ran out of team a bit at the end probably due to the sickness I had but pleased with the 31 kmh average;

https://www.strava.com/activities/410831159

And the third was just a warm-down on the way home,defo needed that bath after:laugh:;

https://www.strava.com/activities/410831220

Surlydave

Über Member
Another great ride around East Suffolk yesterday, 63 miles, sunny weather and a nice breeze to help us home. Ipswich to Valley farm, Wickham Mkt, then on to cafe at Sizewell. Tea stop at Parham air museum, on the way home, where there was a 1940s dance in full swing with most in period dress.
Unfortunately I don't know how to put link to Strava or photos on Cyclechat to share with you.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I went on my first ever cycling holiday last week to Catania in Sicily. Fellow CCer @BRounsley organised it; 7 riders in all. The plan was to eat and drink plenty in Catania and do a bit of cycling too. The area is dominated by Mount Etna and you can't really come to the region without going up it. 99.9% of people do it by car or bus. The 0.1% who are idiots do it by bike.

I'll just do the Day 1 ride for now, there will be a few more when I've got time. Basic idea was to do the hardest ride on the first day (Monday) while we were still fresh and hadn't eaten or drunk too much by then. Straight out of the apartment at sea level, all the way to the top of the road up Etna, turn around, then back to the apartment. Sounds a piece of cake. Except as soon as you leave the main bit of the city the climbing is constant. The climb is 28km at an average of 6%. There are flatter bits, but there are also 10% bits. The road goes up to about 6,000ft

And it was hot. It was probably 23 degrees when we set off. We stopped in Nicolosi on the way up for coffee and cake. By the time we started the "official" climb there (which is only 18km) it was about 30 degrees. By then our group had whittled down to 4. The other three (having to deal with 10km climbing just to get to the official climb start) had bailed.

So off we set. I had 2 full litres of water with me, took the helmet off and slung it on the handlebars, unzipped the shirt all the way, pro style.....and we were on our way. Brian disappeared into the distance and I didn't see him again. The first 6km were manageable but I was guzzling water at an alarming rate. The second 6km were unbelievably hard. Probably 8-9% average and still really hot. The third third is the easiest with loads of hairpins and it was getting much cooler.

By the time I got to the top all my water was drunk. Brian was waiting for me and a few minutes later the other two arrived. We had a nice snack and drink at the ski station. Then the best bit...the decent. For those who know me, I'm not really built for climbing but I'm a good shape for descending. An hour and three quarters up, 20 minutes down

Here's the view of the ski station at 6000ft. Extremely barren as Etna is, apparently, Europe's most active volcano

20151005_151132.jpg

This is Etna summit. Not much to see. You can go to the top by walking, 4WD or cable car. I was happy just to sit down and not expire completely

20151005_151205.jpg

Obligatory selfie. You can just about make out the coastline at Catania in the distance

20151005_151604.jpg

And finally, me "a repose" on a park bench in Nicolosi waiting for the other more tentative descenders to get down off the mountain

20151005_154756.jpg

Old jon

Guru
Day off yesterday, the bike had a clean and oil, other than that I got on with different stuff. Warm (sort of) and bright this morning, all the encouragement I needed to pedal off. 38.9 miles in all, I under estimated the length of the ride a bit.
John o' Gaunts, Oulton, Swillington, Garforth, Lotherton, Towton, Tadcaster, Boston Spa, Bramham, Thorner and home again. Quite tired after all that. Some of the scenery might be worth a look at though.

Last ride for a while, a few days in London to come.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Here's day 2 (Tuesday)
The plan was to ride from Catania to Messina (which is about 70 miles north along the Sicilian coast) with a stop off in Taormina. Taormina is very pretty which is the good news. The bad news is that it sits about 800ft up overlooking the sea. So a bit of a climb is needed. The motivation was provided by the discovery of a bar that did good craft beers in Taormina so we were all up for it.

Another hot day. Even hotter in fact, max was about 31 degrees. But it was flattish other than the Taormina climb so should be OK. In truth the first 25 miles were pretty slow as some were feeling the heat and a couple of us pulled away a bit and did the climb. It was very nice, just 6-7%, loads of hairpins which were almost flat on their outsides for a bit of respite.

And the beer was delish...a strong stout, so I had a couple. They certainly gave me some courage on the technical descent.

At that time, all but three of us decided it was just too damn hot to do the 35 miles to Messina so that left us to push the pace up. Really good run, right along the seafront averaging about 18mph. When we got to Messina it was rush hour which in true Italian style is properly chaotic. But we managed and got the Messina - Catania train we had planned to get. After the mega-tough climb up Etna the day before it was good to get a relatively easy one in the next day....and Day 3 was planned to be a tough one too

Here's the view across the bay just before the start of the Taormina climb. We had ridden through the town across the bay so we'd already done a bit of a climb to get to that point

20151006_125409.jpg

Here's Taormina looking up from the same point, you can see it's perched on the cliffs

20151006_125418.jpg

And finally just to prove this isn't a figment of my imagination....here's me at the lookout point. Isla Bella down below and the road towards Messina along the coast in the distance. Actually there's a cable car up from there to the town but I did ride my bike up, honest

20151006_131242.jpg

And contrary to popular belief, Italian drivers are very considerate of cyclists. They don't drive fast, they pass wide, they toot their horns to let you know they are catching you and are going to pass. And they let you have right of way at junctions and roundabouts, even when they should have it. I just had one close pass all week and in the chaotic cities I never had a single problem, nor did anyone else in the group

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
......and Day 3 dawns

This was always going to be a hard ride. Only the four fastest in the group were doing it (I just about qualified). 70 miles, 5,000ft of climbing, virtually all of which was on the outward leg to Centuripe. This is a beautiful hilltop (more like mountaintop I think) village, quite unspoilt and in a place with beautiful views.

Climbing started straight out of Catania and never really stopped all the way to the plains below Centuripe. It looked a long way off and a long way up. Tiny, quiet little lanes flanked by orange groves, little lizards scuttling away as we rode closer. It was even hotter that Tuesday, 32 degrees. As Centuripe, the location of the really hard climb of the day was about half way, we got there about 1pm. And it was boiling with virtually no elevation to reduce it.

The climb was about 2,500ft. For those who know them, it was a bit like climbing Holme Moss. Then when you get to the top you find someone has stuck Snake Pass on the top. So it was hard, really hard. And at various times the road sort of had collapsed off the side of the mountain.

Made it to the top and it was worth the climb. A really lovely, unspoilt little town. Only one restaurant open at lunchtime and we had a couple of beers (again) and a local speciality; risotto made into balls and then covered in breadcrumbs and fried. Called Arancini
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxf_D9Eha3-dEDIeOt-RSbIsn21Iwi51crPzzLyneO-Ur9UOKQ.jpg

They were much nicer than this stock photo. After lunch, a 10km, fast descent back to the bottom and then a flat run all the way back to Catania. And that was when we found that the wind had got up with all the heat. And it was a tailwind! A massive tailwind! It must have been at least 20mph. Enough to mean we could ride along at 25mph without any real effort. We flew back

Here I am at the top of the climb feeling pleased with myself. Apologies for the flash of gut. Etna in the far distance

20151007_145409.jpg

View of the town

20151007_145559.jpg

Probably the best day's ride of the holiday. Tough route, ridden hard. Great little town, lovely views and a fast ride home with a tailwind

Top Bottom