Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Part 2 of yesterday's ride.

So I have some freedom whilst my OH returns to the café to get his gloves... and time to enjoy the downhill and a few photos...

IMG_4289.JPG

Back the way I have come and the obligatory wing mirror photo ;)

IMG_4290.JPG

The obligatory Frog Rock photo and today he is looking really good!

IMG_4293.JPG

The fog has gone, but the loch is still amazingly calm and this is the view from our next rest stop. Liarn Farm is opposite and in the sunshine right now.

IMG_4294.JPG

Looking good in the sunshine.

IMG_4299.JPG

The view back down the loch towards Rannoch Moor where we were not that long ago. It is starting to cloud over now, but still looking beautiful but it is time for woolly hat and gloves. It is cold out of the sunshine.

IMG_4305.JPG

And the view up the loch to where we have to cycle to get back to. It is rare to see the loch so calm.

IMG_4309.JPG

We have finally made it to Kinloch Rannoch and another rest is in order. My legs are starting to tire and I need some more food. It is further than I have cycled for quite a long time and on top of that, my average speed is higher than it has been since my back went almost 12 months ago.

IMG_4314.JPG

Those mountains in the distance are actually on the west coast on the other side of Rannoch Moor!

IMG_4315.JPG

A touch of autumn colours, but the day is getting cold now and it is time to get home after a glorious day on the road. I am also getting the 'warning signs' from my OH about his patience levels and my photography. At the end of the day I have only taken +70 photos from today's ride... :whistle: I would count that as a good day on the road! :laugh:

Anyhow, somewhere around the 34 mile mark and an average of 9.3mph before the track up to the holiday cottage knocked me back to 9.2mph. But those new tyres seem to have made the world of difference to my speed despite all of the stops for photos! https://www.strava.com/activities/412717471

So I have some freedom whilst my OH returns to the café to get his gloves... and time to enjoy the downhill and a few photos...

View attachment 106797

View attachment 106798

View attachment 106799
The fog has gone, but the loch is still amazingly calm and this is the view from our next rest stop. Liarn Farm is opposite and in the sunshine right now.

View attachment 106800

View attachment 106801
The view back down the loch towards Rannoch Moor where we were not that long ago. It is starting to cloud over now, but still looking beautiful but it is time for woolly hat and gloves. It is cold out of the sunshine.

View attachment 106802
And the view up the loch to where we have to cycle to get back to. It is rare to see the loch so calm.

View attachment 106803
We have finally made it to Kinloch Rannoch and another rest is in order. My legs are starting to tire and I need some more food. It is further than I have cycled for quite a long time and on top of that, my average speed is higher than it has been since my back went almost 12 months ago.

View attachment 106804
Those mountains in the distance are actually on the west coast on the other side of Rannoch Moor!

View attachment 106805
A touch of autumn colours, but the day is getting cold now and it is time to get home after a glorious day on the road. I am also getting the 'warning signs' from my OH about his patience levels and my photography. At the end of the day I have only taken +70 photos from today's ride... :whistle: I would count that as a good day on the road! :laugh:

Anyhow, somewhere around the 34 mile mark and an average of 9.3mph before the track up to the holiday cottage knocked me back to 9.2mph. But those new tyres seem to have made the world of difference to my speed despite all of the stops for photos! https://www.strava.com/activities/412717471
Awesome pictures SNSSO

Last edited by a moderator:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Today's 100 km ride was ... cancelled! :sad:

As I was getting ready, I got a call from a courier to say that he would like to deliver my new laptop battery this afternoon. I asked if he could do it tomorrow but he replied that he is going on holiday tomorrow so if he didn't do it today, there would be a long delay. Oh, super!

I toyed with putting up with the delay but then the local anti-coagulation clinic contacted me to say that someone would be ringing me this afternoon to discuss some queries that I had raised. Where I had intended to ride has several phone reception blackspots so I could not risk going out anyway.

I am now stuck here with the sun shining, and not knowing when I will be able to get out. I'll try to do a couple of hours post-call and post-delivery.

I hope that I will do the metric century ride in the next few days and will report on it below if I do.

Grrrrrrr! :cursing:

PS Rather than make another off topic post, I'll tell you here what happened with the delivery of my laptop battery ...

The courier who rang to tell me to be in for the delivery did not even bother to knock. I saw the van arrive and was on my way to open the door when he shoved the bag through the letterbox. The hallway floor is tiled so the package would have fallen on to a hard surface if I had not leapt forward and caught it mid-air!

When I opened the bag, I discovered that the battery was inadequately wrapped in a thin sheet of polyurethane foam and would almost certainly have shattered on the floor. That would have been bad enough, but take a look at some videos on YouTube of what can happen when you damage a charged Li-ion battery (it had a 50% charge when delivered)! :eek:

Last edited:
Awesome pictures SNSSO

Thank you. It's a good little camera that Canon Powershot G15.

I am utterly shattered today. No energy whatsoever. My OH has gone out for a quick spin around the loch by himself. I don't care. Yesterday was simply stunning and for all I care right now it could rain for the rest of the holiday and it wouldn't matter!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I utility ride into town today, popped into the gym for a swim to try and loosen up the muscles from the run on Sunday, coincidently I rode past a runner who was wearing his free Oxford Half Marathon T shirt, so I had a quick chat with him, he ran it in 1:37, I was most impressed. Then popped into the town centre to the bank and the co-op. Not the most interesting of rides, and no photos today.

Gym.jpg

Motobecane

Guru

View attachment 106797

View attachment 106798

View attachment 106799

View attachment 106800

View attachment 106801

View attachment 106802

View attachment 106803

View attachment 106804

View attachment 106805

Stunning pictures! Looks like you are having a brilliant holiday.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
My plan of driving to Windsor Great Park, a mere 4 miles away, and having a ride around started badly. My driving route should have avoided the school run mums, but I hit the level crossing at a bad time leading to 4 miles taking 20 minutes. I could have cycled there faster!! A chilly start to the day, certainly in the shady area's around the lake, but my ebay bargain Altura Transformer jacket performed well and kept the wind off. Dog dodging was the order of the day around the lake, before heading off to the other side by the Royal School where it's much quieter.
Misjudged the distance a little and ended up doing just over 11 miles. It's been a while since I've cycled around the park, so wonderful to have a change of scenery. Sorry for no pics (again), the Stag was out in deer park and the youngsters tend to be inquisitive of cyclists so I don't like to stop.
Back to the commute in the morning

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7.2 miles my distance today, still on antibiotics so not lots of energy for setting any pace today, just a lively sortie among fields and farms. A 20 or so mile segment is being added to the bicycle trail, taking it from Normal to Towanda and ultimately Lexington. That will really open up some countryside for travel by bicycle. I went my usual route, the Trek 7200 doing a fine job as it so often does. At the start of yesterday's commute, a Brompton was locked to the bicycle rack next to my Schwinn. Not a common sight in these parts.
67F
19C
Winds N 10
relative humidity 31%
30.04 barometer
Sunny

@SatNavSaysStraightOn , those pics deserve more than a mere like. Stunning, as others have said; and they are going to cost me a trip to Loch Rannoch in the near future whilst those colours are still on show. Hopefully before this spell of weather breaks.
It is a great place to visit. We can't actually work out how long we have been coming here but we are certain it is more than a decade. It's one of those places that the first time you visit you think there is not much to do, the next time you visit you find something more and the more and more you visit you realise there is loads to do in the area.
There are a couple of cafes which you can venture into as well. The one at Rannoch Station is open 6 days a week (closed Fridays) and the one in Kinloch Rannoch is also open 6 days a week and closed on Mondays.

If you cycle in (or for that matter drive really) do yourself a favour and come in from the Calvine/Trinafour road and not the Loch Tummel Road (which is the Queen's view road). It is a much better route to cycle, more open, nicer, easier, better road surface and actually shorter! Or come in from Schiehallion and through Aberfeldy. Again it is a much nicer road and if the weather is good, then there are great views from both of these roads (@Fubar will confirm that the Calvine/Trinafour road is much nicer than the Queen's View/North Loch Tummel road).

First proper commute this morning on the 1X10 converted XLS;still have to sort out the rear mech but it shifted ok even on the smaller cassette fitted to the Mavics.The Challenge Grifos ride ok on tarmac but really come in to their own on the loose surface of the cycle path along the Cam;still stop-start along there though as the rowers are back in full force so have to ease up here and there for the 'coaches'.

Oh and the Axiom mudguards held up ok although the rear is a tight-ish fit with the Grifos.

https://www.strava.com/activities/413345052

The 'nine' bike^_^:becool::bicycle:;

IMG_20151015_075252331.jpg

Top Bottom