Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
On Holiday in Bridlington so some new roads to be explored . Up early so extended ride to fetch the Sunday papers .Out of Bridlington via Swerby Hall and onto ncn1 rode out to Bempton to the Rspb reserve . Quick look about then retraced my steps via papershop and back to apartment before anyone else is up . 11.1 miles done in overcast conditions . Planning on doing part of the way of the roses tomorrow.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@ColinJ i drove over to Harlech this morning, had a walk around and found the 2 "hills" you mention.......crikey they look steep!!
Indeed! I was on foot when I was in Harlech so I haven't ridden them yet. I think that I could manage Twtil (just!) but the other climb looked mega-hard!

D

Deleted member 1258

Second ride of the weekend this morning, 50 miles with a stop at the Barby Garden center, breezy grey day with damp roads at first, initially I looked out the window and went back to bed, got up late and was in two minds but eventually got the bike out and went. Legs were fading a bit as I crossed the A45 and started the climb to the Water Tower, a combination of yesterdays miles and a poor breakfast, I couldn't be arsed to make porridge and just had a bowl of cornflakes instead. Leaving the Cafe the legs felt better but as I rode into Coventry past the speedway and through Binley Woods the legs were fading again, for a couple of miles on the Binley road I kept up with traffic and made getting on the right easier for the right turn into Hipswell Highway and finished the legs of completely then crawled the rest of the way home. Not the best ride I've done but pleasant enough, My cycling mojo is missing at the moment so getting motivated enough to get out on the bike is a bit of a bonus.

Yesterday's ride: Home to Carlisle station Train to Hexham. Hexham to Newcastle quay and on to Central station Nice easy ride in ideal conditions. Surprised to see as many cyclists between Corbridge and Wylam. Train was rather expensive as I did not book in advance. Train back to Wetheral. Still not sure of either the Tannus rear tyre or the ISM saddle, I think lowering the saddle my help may help. Realy jury still out.

U

User19783

It was the Abingdon marathon today,
I saw the runners on my way to gym , going around Abingdon , they were looking fresh, but by time I went out for a ride at 12:30, i had to ride against the tide of tried runners, on the ncr5 path , there was a lot of pain going on for them , but that was at the 21 mile mark,
Good luck to them all, :notworthy:

Sorry didn't take a photo s of the runners,

I did the same ride as on Thursday and Friday, along the ncr 5 ncr 544 and the Ridgeway on my Genesis cdf .
Another enjoyable ride.

Same photo but a different bike
IMAG0018.jpg

Slightly quicker,
Screenshot_2015-10-18-15-32-18.png

Same route

Screenshot_2015-10-18-15-32-43.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Came home from my brothers this morning, a spot of gardening and then out on the tandem with Mrs Dave. We caught up with a ride that was at funeral pace in Bourn, the back markers had Sustrans hi viz tabbards on. We turned off behind them and headed up and down the helter skelter to Caxton. It was around now that I realised I had no tool kit..... I kept quiet!
At The Gransdens we made our way down to Gamlingay which was inhabited by a few impatient winkers. Up to Waresley and a stop for tea and cake at the garden centre (hanging round with the Notts CTC is having an effect!)

Back through the Gransdens after more up and downyness. We stopped for a minute in Longstowe for Jo to stretch her legs and then it was a nice little headwind up the drag through Toft, and then the long drag back to Hardwick.

image.jpeg

We look like we've escaped from the special school!

27.5 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/415513841

robjh

Legendary Member
Came home from my brothers this morning, a spot of gardening and then out on the tandem with Mrs Dave. We caught up with a ride that was at funeral pace in Bourn, the back markers had Sustrans hi viz tabbards on. We turned off behind them and headed up and down the helter skelter to Caxton. It was around now that I realised I had no tool kit..... I kept quiet!
At The Gransdens we made our way down to Gamlingay which was inhabited by a few impatient winkers. Up to Waresley and a stop for tea and cake at the garden centre (hanging round with the Notts CTC is having an effect!)

Back through the Gransdens after more up and downyness. We stopped for a minute in Longstowe for Jo to stretch her legs and then it was a nice little headwind up the drag through Toft, and then the long drag back to Hardwick.

View attachment 107300

We look like we've escaped from the special school!

27.5 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/415513841
Mrs 123 looks a lot happier in that picture than you do. Are you tickling her? We can't see your hands.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Mrs 123 looks a lot happier in that picture than you do. Are you tickling her? We can't see your hands.

I had enough to do just taking the picture, concentrating is hard!
I'd also mentioned cake.....

Old jon

Guru
I dunno, I go away for a few days, and someone has been messing with Yorkshire !! Leaves missing from trees, degrees missing from temperature, whatever has gone on?

Little to say about my ride today, my default route to Otley and back, 28.2 miles, was quite enough for a return to two wheels. A bit of a dull morning, enlivened by a rain cloud that Lawnswood must have saved especially for me. Camera on for the drop down the new Chevin (a.k.a. Leeds Road) but a raindrop was stuck to the lens cover, made a total mess of the picture. Tomorrow will be better.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
After 50 quikish miles in the hills yesterday with 400bhp of this parish on the road bike, today was perfect for a test ride around Macc forest with the new dropper on the Mtb. I ain't a technically proficient off road but always happy to have a go. My mate is a bit keener but doesn't have the bike fitness I do so we compliment each other reasonably well.
The ride took in some of the local iconic mtb trails/bridal ways including Charity Lane, Oven Lane, Danebower Hollow, Cumberland Brook and the descent through Macc Forest. The weather was chilly damp and foggy and a hot chocolate was in order at the Cat and Fiddle half way around where we had a bit of a giggle listening to 4 guys who turned up in Ferraris talking loudly about how wonderful their cars were.
The dropper worked well and made hanging off the back on the technical downhills a hell of a lot easier.
Only about 12 miles but with 2000 feet of climbing and a lot of technical off road it certainly wasn't easy.
IMG_20151018_113137.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Sunday. Not a day of rest in our house...

Up at 5.45am to watch the MotoGP - I won't spoil things if you haven't seen it, but what a race!!!! If you don't have BT Sport, try to catch the highlights on ITV4 tomorrow.

After the race, I was getting ready to go out on the bike (road bike again, the hybrid must think it's done something wrong...), Mrs ND shouted up did I want a bacon sarnie for breakfast? Now i was planning to be good and have a big bowl of cereal before heading out, but I didn't want to appear rude, so grudgingly accepted :whistle:

Anyhow, Peter Gibbs doing the weather forecast on BBC breakfast said it would be a grey day but that you'd be unlucky to get caught in one of the few isolated scattered showers that were about. I think we'll return to this later.

Out up Coal Road, then Skelton lane and down lumpy bumpy hill to Thorner, where the church bells were ringing and the smell of woodsmoke was in the air - a very English autumn day. Out up Milner lane and then turned right at the fork towards Bramham but took the left to Collingham.
This is usually a very quiet almsot single track country lane, but it was positively busy this morning. First a jogger, then two horse riders, then a car, another jogger, then two more cars! Oh, and it started raining. Not to worry - this must be one of those isolated scattered showers and must surely soon pass...
Onto the A58 and turned left this time for the run down into Collingham itself (the A58 is a narrow road and not much fun, but at least it was quiet this morning), then right at the Old Star before taking another right for the road to Linton.
I know I wasn't overly impressed by Linton in yesterdays post, but it's a handy way to add a few extra miles on generally quiet roads so what the heck.
Into Wetherby and up Horsefair, then out towards Walton before taking the fork to Thorp Arch and on over the river to Boston Spa.
Did I mention it was still raining at this point? Perhaps the shower was following me?
The long way to Clifford, then Bramham, up Town Hill and out on the Tadcaster Road.
Then right again, leading to the bridge over the A64 where I stopped for an energy bar and this photo:
IMG_20151018_1013234872.jpg

Back on the bike, I flew down the hill to Stutton, taking the obligatory plunge down Fanny Lane, then out to the A162 and the uphill drag to Towton. Heading down the hill was a decent sized mixed peleton, got quite a lot of "hello" and "morning"s. As I reached the top of the hill a police van on blues and two's headed the other way after the peleton - what had they been up to??? ;).
At this point a large goldish circular shaped thing appeared to be trying to get through the clouds - was it the sun? At least it stopped raining !
Through Towton, past the battlefield site and down into Saxton and back out along Coldhill Lane (no sportives today, thank goodness), then right to Lotherton Hall and the run into Aberford.
Then the usual route back via Barwick and Scholes - two very nice drivers between Aberford and Barwick, one in a Renault Captur hung back on a twisty bit of road until I waved him though (being on the bike I could see further ahead) and I got a cheery wave, then a flash of the hazards as he pulled back in. Then a Peugeot driver hung back as I took the S bends at the bridge over Cock Beck as fast as I dare in the damp conditions and then gave me loads of room when she passed afterwards.
Heading up to Scholes a muppet in a Jag XF passed within millimeters of my elbow though, so there are still some drivers who haven't been to Specsavers yet.:cursing:
Down Leeds Road and then I took a detour through the Pendas and Manston to avoid the Ring Rd/ Barwick Rd roundabout as I was going to get my new mudguards fitted (third time lucky?). Onto the £29 million cycle way and it's still as lumpy and poorly laid out as ever.
Dropped the bike in and they said to give them 40 mins, so I nipped to BK to get a drink and use the free wi-fi, although I did feel a little overdressed in my bib tights and fluoro top. ;)
Back in, picked up the bike and having checked the price of the mudguards online and got them to price match - then apply my BC discount :okay:.
Cycled back via Cross Gates and out on Manston lane to test the mudguards and push the miles over 40.
Loop back via Pendas Fields and up to home.

42.16 miles (new record distance) in 2hr 50m at an average of 14.8mph, with 1722ft climbed.
Really, really pleased with that - so my next challenge is an imperial half century.
And I was only stuck in an isolated, scattered shower for 16 miles........:rain:
18102015.jpg

Report on the mudguards (Road Racer 2's) - seem great so far and rattle free, so fingers crossed they've done the trick.

Top Bottom