Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
2015-10-19 13.32.10.jpg
Set of this morning from Bridlington to do a section of the Way of the Roses. Following the blue signs navigated my way out of Bridlington 1 error so a short loop round the block then realised I should be going up the dead end road but no sign to confirm it .Back on track headed out on some lovely quiet lanes to Driffield via places like Burton Agnes , several miles were on lanes where the level crossing were closed for cars so completely traffic free . Roads were also virtually empty and I had then all to myself .Got to Driffield and stopped for refreshment.
2015-10-19 11.11.41.jpg

Lovely sausage sandwich :hungry: and a latte at a lovely cafeon the high St . After a wonder round a quick visit to the bike cave to drool over some merida bikes . Nearly bought one of there shirts they were quite cool . Time to retrace my steps back . noticed straight away a lovely headwind for the return . The scenery reminded me of the fens but with a few more gradients thrown in but quite dull really
2015-10-19 09.55.49.jpg

A view from a high point out towards to sea the camera phone Dosn't do the light justice .Back to Bridlington 39.3 miles done it 3 hours . I packed all my winter gear for the holidays but today could done with shorts a ss top it was that nice

Old jon

Guru
IMG_1001CC.jpg

The puncture fairy paid a visit last night. Nope, paid is wrong and it could have been any time after about 2:00 pm when I put the bike in the shed. Anyway, wheels out the bike and discovers a flat front tyre. It took three quarters of an hour to simply change the tube, I just had immense difficulty finding the cause which was a very small sliver of Gordon's gin bottle green glass.

A bit of a think, 'I'll go to Lotherton Hall.' Dewsbury Road, Jack Lane, Marshall Street, Water Lane and Great Wilson Street and I was pointed towards Cinder Bridge (long gone) and John o' Gaunts, Oulton, Woodlesford and Garforth, all fairly busy roads but you cannot have everything. Back via Aberford, Barwick, Scholes, Thorner Lane and Red Hall lane, quietish roads, and then the A 58 and the yuk through central Leeds. 29.6 miles in all and a bright blue sky with accessory cotton wool clouds.
And a picture of Dad Stag.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Note to self:
Now if I had a log burner (which fortunately I don't - all that cleaning, chopping, sawing, splitting, storing :stop:) I would maybe be sorely tempted to come along in the middle of the night with a trailer and 'liberate' a few logs. However, there appears to be a security device in use on the logs - it's a red line, painted on the top layer - I wonder how it works :wacko:

View attachment 107383

On a cycle trip through France last month I was amazed at the amount of log piles one would see. There were piles 10 times the amount in your pic. Whole barns full of them.
Stacking of logs seems to be a national rural France pastime.

On a cycle trip through France last month I was amazed at the amount of log piles one would see. There were piles 10 times the amount in your pic. Whole barns full of them.

Yep, we just finished restocking the woodshed here too, back-breaking work but worth it come January.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
That's because the French much prefer burning wood than gas or electric. It is much cheaper and reserves of wood in France are colossal. There are more trees in France now than 1000 years ago.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
That's because the French much prefer burning wood than gas or electric. It is much cheaper and reserves of wood in France are colossal. There are more trees in France now than 1000 years ago.

Interestingly the forestation % in UK is at its highest since 1750 (about 12.5%) and close to that recorded in the Doomsday Book (1086) of 15%. France's % is about 1/3 I think, a level we haven't seen in UK since before the Bronze Age. UK % was as low as 5%; mainly due to us chopping down trees to build ships to fight.......the French

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I used the Raleigh for the commute today in order to test out a new purchase; a Brooks Team Pro Classic.

The rides both ways were pretty straightforward with nothing really to report. I meant to get some photos as the scenery looked interesting this morningwith the low lying mist, but neglected to do so due to tinkering with the bike set up instead.:blush:

The saddle feels really weird after being used to the B17, but not uncomfortable and I think it could be very good when I can break it in a bit. I think it would also feel better with the handlebars set lower so the new stem bought at the same time will need fitting quite soon.^_^

I've been taking it easy on the commutes the last couple of weeks due to having overworked my knee again (not the same as earlier in the year) so it was a pleasant surprise this trip to find I'd averaged 2mph quicker on the round trip without really trying and the knee feels almost completely better this evening. Must be doing something right.;)

When putting the bike away there was an ominous cracking sound as I removed one of the lights and as suspected the mount has broken. I have another of the same design which failed exactly the same way a couple of years back so I know a repair is possible - time for some fettling.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Hectic day at work, so when Mrs ND asked if I was going out on the bike before tea, how could I refuse?

That half hour in the saddle did me more good than a week in a therapists chair. Decided early in the ride that I was going to ride for the sheer enjoyment of it, so no frantic attempts to set PB's just a decent ride out into the countryside and back, admiring the red sky and the setting sun. First time it's been properly dark when i got back, but the new front light seems nicely up to the job.

7.3 miles in a fraction under 29 minutes at an average of 15.1mph (so hardly any slower, despite not charging about).

And when I got home a delicious lamb bhuna was waiting for me... :biggrin:

robjh

Legendary Member
I'm off work this week, and decided to ride down today to visit my Dad who lives near Dartford. Starting from home which is near Cambridge, I headed south, skirting close to Stansted airport then through the Rodings to Brentwood, and then the A128 all the way to Tilbury. The traffic was quite light, the riding was easy but it was a very dull and slightly chilly day, and no-one would go to south Essex or Tilbury docks for the scenic value. I eventually found the terminal for the passenger ferry across the Thames to Gravesend - I like the novelty of taking a ferry on a ride, but the Thames today looked very grey and forlorn.
I threaded through a sprawl of industry and suburbs the 8 miles westwards to Dartford, where I met my Dad for lunch and had a very pleasant 3 hours with him, before he had to get his bus and I headed on towards London. From here on much of it seemed like a Fridays night ride in reverse (and in the daylight), as I recognised numerous places from midnight routes to Whitstable. I passed Welling then climbed over Shooters Hill, before turning down to Greenwich and the glorious Royal Naval College. Then it was on through Deptford, a loop round the Rotherhithe peninsula, and up to the city via Tower Bridge, which was raised when I got there to allow a sailing vessel through. The final leg home was on a Greater Anglia train from Liverpool street. I did just on 90 miles over the course of the day.

Tilbury ferry at Gravesend; London skyline from Shooters Hill
20151019 (11) Tilbury-Gravesend  ferry.JPG
20151019 (12) Shooters Hill view.JPG

Rotherhithe tunnel entrance
20151019 (20A) Rotherhithe Tunnel.jpg

Tower Bridge - view of the City, and waiting while the bridge is up
20151019 (26) Tower Bridge.JPG
20151019 (28) Tower Bridge.JPG

the route
upload_2015-10-19_23-19-50.png

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I'm off work this week, and decided to ride down today to visit my Dad who lives near Dartford. Starting from home which is near Cambridge, I headed south, skirting close to Stansted airport then through the Rodings to Brentwood, and then the A128 all the way to Tilbury. The traffic was quite light, the riding was easy but it was a very dull and slightly chilly day, and no-one would go to south Essex or Tilbury docks for the scenic value. I eventually found the terminal for the passenger ferry across the Thames to Gravesend - I like the novelty of taking a ferry on a ride, but the Thames today looked very grey and forlorn.
I threaded through a sprawl of industry and suburbs the 8 miles westwards to Dartford, where I met my Dad for lunch and had a very pleasant 3 hours with him, before he had to get his bus and I headed on towards London. From here on much of it seemed like a Fridays night ride in reverse (and in the daylight), as I recognised numerous places from midnight routes to Whitstable. I passed Welling then climbed over Shooters Hill, before turning down to Greenwich and the glorious Royal Naval College. Then it was on through Deptford, a loop round the Rotherhithe peninsula, and up to the city via Tower Bridge, which was raised when I got there to allow a sailing vessel through. The final leg home was on a Greater Anglia train from Liverpool street. I did just on 90 miles over the course of the day.

Tilbury ferry at Gravesend; London skyline from Shooters Hill
View attachment 107413 View attachment 107414

Rotherhithe tunnel entrance
View attachment 107415

Tower Bridge - view of the City, and waiting while the bridge is up
View attachment 107416 View attachment 107417

the route
View attachment 107418
I was born at the top of Shooters Hill......

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Interestingly the forestation % in UK is at its highest since 1750 (about 12.5%) and close to that recorded in the Doomsday Book (1086) of 15%. France's % is about 1/3 I think, a level we haven't seen in UK since before the Bronze Age. UK % was as low as 5%; mainly due to us chopping down trees to build ships to fight.......the French
And the Spaniards, after a game of bowls.

Top Bottom