Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
And the Spaniards, after a game of bowls.
Reminds me of the time I visited Plymouth and regaled, at some length, my son (who was about eight) with the story of Drake and the game of bowls, it ended
Son- "so who won?"
Me - "Eh?"
Son - "the game of bowls, who won it?"
I was stumped by that one. Anyone know the answer, and score preferably?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
250px-DrakeMonumentTavistock.jpg
51242552-circa-1585-the-english-pirate-and-admiral-sir-gettyimages.jpg

Drake supposedly said There is plenty of time to win this game, and thrash the Spaniards, too.
So one would think he was ahead on score.
But actually, the game was played in the rubbers, and Hawkins beat Drake, and said
There-Vice Admiral, you're beaten, and that's the rubber. Pay up three dollars, Old High Flyer.
This according Dingley, in Touchers and Rubs(1893)
quoted in Pretsell, Game of Bowls, Past and Present(1908)

Last edited:

sanddancer

Having not rode for a month I decided to get my kit ready last night and set the alarm half an hour early for work this morning (05:45)

Yes my first commute by bicycle for over 20 years :biggrin: only 8 miles and along the river cyclepath but I must say I quite enjoyed it and felt refreshed :smile:
bit of a sweat on since I had a few stellas last night knowing I didn't have to drive :biggrin:

Just the journey home now after a 12hr shift :biggrin:

Oops ive done it again :biggrin:
wondering if I will commute for my two night shifts wed thurs now :smile:

Old jon

Guru

A bit of a ride around the back lanes today. 32.3 miles taking in the Oakwood Clock, Canal Gardens, Shadwell up that really difficult hill, Wike, East Keswick and Linton. On to Wetherby and back home bouncing off Boston Spa ( turn right on the outskirts for Clifford ) Bramham, Thorner with the usual Red Hall Lane so I can WHEEEE !! down Boot Hill. Couple of pics to show for it, and the video.

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

I choose to take a close up of a rather pretty fork crown and it shows up the muck !! Ah well.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Making the most of the last of the decent weather it was another of my regular midweek sorties around the New Forest today, taking in Minstead, Emery Down, Brockenhurst, Beaulieu & Lyndhurst.

A pleasant 33 miles with a couple of moments of note, both on a small stretch of road between Brockenhurst & Beaulieu: Firstly was a lorry coming towards me being overtaken by some blonde bimbo in a 4x4 who absolutely flew past me (its a 40mph limit on this road) & as I passed the lorry the driver & I both gave a WTF sort of shrug of the shoulders to each other. The second was that this lorry was the last vehicle I saw for a while as further down the road a young calf has decided to stand in the middle of the road & clean his arse, thus stopping any more vehicles from passing. I smiled to myself as I rode past the first few cars but this turned into a near on full blown laugh as the queue went on for over a mile! If only they knew why they had stopped! :laugh:

https://www.strava.com/activities/416741069

005.JPG

004.JPG

Saluki

World class procrastinator
2 ride logs for the price of one today.
Firstly Saturday's ride.
https://www.strava.com/activities/416889322
Short and sweet. Hubster faffed, faffed and faffed some more so by the time we actually got out, the sky was not a nice colour. We got to Trimley and it hacked it down so we came home again. My CX needs a new rear tyre. Happily I have some work tomorrow and can get a new rear tyre for Eric the CX.

Then we have today's ride. I may have got a bit lost, hence the wibbling about.
https://www.strava.com/activities/416889437
I followed the cyclepath sign instead of going the way that I know. I ended up at Morrisons, then followed a sign that turned out to be a crescent and brought me back out at Morrisons, then I ended up on a roundabout to the A14 - I don't think so! I retraced my wheeltracks and went the way that I knew and done with.
I found the renal unit at the hospital OK though. This ride should be 12 miles and not 14.3. I will know next time (Thursday probably if the rain isn't torrential)

Nice to be out on the bike again.

My "quick spin" turned into 72 miles!! It was so nice that I just kept on going. Nothing spectacular, just visiting some of my regular Kentish haunts. Kept thinking that I might not have a day like today for a while!! All this on the Claud Butler- wonderful time!

Katherine

Guru
I actually did my first metric century on Sunday!!

35 miles were with The Manchester Cycle group social ride to Hollingworth Lake, (Rochdale) from the Velodrome. That was hard, cycling 10 miles to meet them with the lady on Google maps in my pocket taking me through the roadworks in the centre of Manchester. A lovely social ride with cake. Then I decided to ride up to Prestwich and do the reverse of my normal route that I do there. In hindsight, it was too hilly after already doing lots of hills north of Manchester and my legs were getting more tired than I was expecting. The last 10 miles were hard, and I could barely sit down for the last few, but I made myself keep going. I had to keep adding extra loops at the end until I'd done enough miles! 70.5 final total. My previous longest ride had been 55 miles and it was definitely a big jump. With an average speed of 11.5 mph but with lots of stops to look at Google maps and eat more cake it took all day! I'll have to find a flatter route and speed up next time. Trouble is that when we renewed our house insurance, they would only cover my bike if I always use a D lock, so that was extra weight too. Anyway, I gave myself a downhill finish which was nice. Got home just as Mr. K was just getting up as he was on nights last weekend, he was surprised that I'd been out so long.
IMG_20151018_115745221.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I actually did my first metric century on Sunday!!

35 miles were with The Manchester Cycle group social ride to Hollingworth Lake, (Rochdale) from the Velodrome. That was hard, cycling 10 miles to meet them with the lady on Google maps in my pocket taking me through the roadworks in the centre of Manchester. A lovely social ride with cake. Then I decided to ride up to Prestwich and do the reverse of my normal route that I do there. In hindsight, it was too hilly after already doing lots of hills north of Manchester and my legs were getting more tired than I was expecting. The last 10 miles were hard, and I could barely sit down for the last few, but I made myself keep going. I had to keep adding extra loops at the end until I'd done enough miles! 70.5 final total. My previous longest ride had been 55 miles and it was definitely a big jump. With an average speed of 11.5 mph but with lots of stops to look at Google maps and eat more cake it took all day! I'll have to find a flatter route and speed up next time. Trouble is that when we renewed our house insurance, they would only cover my bike if I always use a D lock, so that was extra weight too. Anyway, I gave myself a downhill finish which was nice. Got home just as Mr. K was just getting up as he was on nights last weekend, he was surprised that I'd been out so long.
View attachment 107515
:bravo:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Congratulations.

Quick question was the bike ever out of your (out some one in the group) sight? If not don't both working about your home insurance.. It makes life much pleasanter and easier.
I detest all insurance with a passion. Don't even have house contents cover so no cover for the bikes either. I will take my chances and, no doubt when I work out what I would have spent on insurance over the years I could replace the item anyway. Only have buildings cover and car insurance nothing else.

I detest all insurance with a passion. Don't even have house contents cover so no cover for the bikes either. I will take my chances and, no doubt when I work out what I would have spent on insurance over the years I could replace the item anyway. Only have buildings cover and car insurance nothing else.
We are the same. I will probably have to get buildings insurance and I do have separate camera insurance but otherwise bare minimum here as well! Few companies will cover the bikes to the extent I need anyhow and they are really the only things of value that we own other than my camera. We literally still have very little and last time I tried looking at insurance for the bikes they wanted 4 figures a year to insure them. I can replace a bike a year and be better off than that! Never mind...

Top Bottom