Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Arrived home from work last night just before midnight, & as I've done a few times coming home late, thought nice night for a ride. So last night I decided 'Sod it' I'll go for a ride, so came in changed my work trousers & set off at midnight for a 7.5 mile ride around the block. Beautiful, pitch black on the country lanes & 30 mins riding with zero traffic. I'd certainly recommend it ^_^

sanddancer

Arrived home from work last night just before midnight, & as I've done a few times coming home late, thought nice night for a ride. So last night I decided 'Sod it' I'll go for a ride, so came in changed my work trousers & set off at midnight for a 7.5 mile ride around the block. Beautiful, pitch black on the country lanes & 30 mins riding with zero traffic. I'd certainly recommend it ^_^

I did a midnighter up the lane a while back. Steep 2 mile climb at the start. I wouldn't recommend it after a bottle of red though :biggrin:

sanddancer

A bit of a ride around the back lanes today. 32.3 miles taking in the Oakwood Clock, Canal Gardens, Shadwell up that really difficult hill, Wike, East Keswick and Linton. On to Wetherby and back home bouncing off Boston Spa ( turn right on the outskirts for Clifford ) Bramham, Thorner with the usual Red Hall Lane so I can WHEEEE !! down Boot Hill. Couple of pics to show for it, and the video.

View attachment 107476
View attachment 107477

I choose to take a close up of a rather pretty fork crown and it shows up the muck !! Ah well.

I like the name "old jon" old jon :biggrin:
and nice bike. The colour is unusual, looks like the mrs ford fiesta :smile:

Old jon

Guru
The colour is sort of accidental. When I went to order the bike I was told they had a ten week waiting list. But they had the model I wanted in the correct size for me in stock. I really wanted metallic orange with magenta lug lining . . . but did not want to wait ten weeks. So, ivory and black lining it is.
The name is all I could think of.

sanddancer

The colour is sort of accidental. When I went to order the bike I was told they had a ten week waiting list. But they had the model I wanted in the correct size for me in stock. I really wanted metallic orange with magenta lug lining . . . but did not want to wait ten weeks. So, ivory and black lining it is.
The name is all I could think of.

What bike is it ?

Ivory ?
The mrs car is a strange goldy, greeny, creamy :biggrin:
I wanted a black defy but at £300 less I settled for the blue :biggrin: it has grown on me :smile:

I like yours, looks very retro .

Old jon

Guru
It is an Ellis Briggs Randonneur 105. Made locally to me (14 miles away) in Shipley, West Yorkshire. The receipt says ivory, black lug lining. For the ten years before I retired I worked about three quarters of a mile away from the shop. Last May we walked by the shop, I looked in the window and saw two bikes fitted with mudguards, Barbs said 'Why don't you buy one?' So I did. Lucky me.

galaxy

Veteran
It is an Ellis Briggs Randonneur 105. Made locally to me (14 miles away) in Shipley, West Yorkshire. The receipt says ivory, black lug lining. For the ten years before I retired I worked about three quarters of a mile away from the shop. Last May we walked by the shop, I looked in the window and saw two bikes fitted with mudguards, Barbs said 'Why don't you buy one?' So I did. Lucky me.
Lucky Man, i bet she made you pay for that in the long run.Lol

gavgav

Guru
My regular suburbs route, but done the opposite way to my recent trips along it. Battled through the roadworks into Sutton Farm, then down to Meole Brace, climbed up to Nobold, through Radbrook, Copthorne, Porthill and into the Quarry. Along the towpath to Heathgates and back along the cycle paths home.

Things to note, carpet of wet fallen leaves were quite slippy and so took it gingerly for a lot of the ride. Woman stepped out from Reabrook Nature path, without looking, which wouldn't have been a problem if she didn't extend the lead her dog was on, across my path in the cycle lane! Emergency stop avoided crashing into dog :stop::thumbsdown:

12.9 miles

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I haven't been posting regularly in this slot since I sorted out my back problem, because Monday - Friday I've now been doing 20 mile 'virtual' commutes out to Falkenham and back to Ipswich before I settle into working at home and there hasn't been much to say (or photos of anything special), but today's requires reporting because of the unbelievable insanity of the driving.
Instead of going out in the morning, I was on #2 bike by about 2.30 this afternoon and had some school traffic catch me up as I headed back from Kirton to Bucklesham.
Just as I'm approaching the left-hand turn I need to take, a car overtakes just after a blind bend and turns left.
No complaint from me - the driver did nothing really upsetting, even if it was a bit of a close pass.
The next car in line accelerates past and has to brake hard to make the turn.
A bit of commonplace BMW action, I'm thinking - but I'm still vertical and smiling.
I signal.
The next car in the group attempts to overtake me - while we are both turning into the lane, neither of us can see what is coming, and the driver obviously thinks trying to 'push' me into the ditch to avoid any possible oncoming traffic is apparently quite acceptable!
I gesticulate, yell and make it clear they'll have to back off.
Wish I'd had a camera to record the indifference on the driver's face.
Hope to have a happier write-up for Monday. (Half-term cycling pub-crawl planned.:cheers:)

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Only about 2 miles today. I had dentist visit, then I owned a Dahon Pathfinder (early model) for a few minutes before it was fixed up and I sold it. I also traded my Trek 7200 for a Raleigh Technium 460 (1986) and found an Electra Classic Deluxe 3 speed (at a mattress warehouse that also happens to sell used bicycles). So my two miles were testing the Dahon after repairs, as well as a trip or few around the block for the Electra and the Raleigh, both of which I love. Hated the Dahon, as it was an early model, and had 16 inch wheels. I'm about 6'2", so that handled like a shopping cart with me aboard.
80F
Winds SW 14,G23
41%relative humidity
30.11 barometer
partly cloudy

[QUOTE 3965526, member: 9609"]Part Two-

then it was on to Stirling University and through the grounds, what a beautiful place.
GE_9151_zpsidnnoi0x.jpg

and my favourite road sign, every road in britain should have these, and become the law.
GE_9157_zpsi6n1anop.jpg

Then for the big climb into the Sheriffmuir Hills, 400 foot ascent in the first 0.6 mile (122m in 1 km) was a real test piece, it was a further 3 mile to the top, but thankfully not as steep as the first bit. weather had now become quite overcast and was threatening rain
A look back at the monument
GE_9164_zpsxdnzagqt.jpg

then it was through the moors, I felt back at home here with no cars
GE_9168_zpskwfbemki.jpg

at look back at the hill section,
GE_9172_zpsar1zem96.jpg

Then it was through Blackford, and then the pretentious Glen Eagles golf resort - what a horrid place.

I had intended making it to perth, but I had wasted too much time, especially watching the wonderful bats at the canal tunnel. So I cut the day short and caught the train back to Linlithgow from Glen eagles station - 50 mile + 2100' ascent, so a good day out.
GE_9178_zpsg6jvouab.jpg
[/QUOTE]
You look like you had a great day for the autumn colours and light. I even like the railway shot in page 2 (last shot) and that is saying a lot from me. :biggrin:
Lovely pictures and great write up, thank you.

[QUOTE 3965526, member: 9609"]Part Two-

then it was on to Stirling University and through the grounds, what a beautiful place.
GE_9151_zpsidnnoi0x.jpg

and my favourite road sign, every road in britain should have these, and become the law.
GE_9157_zpsi6n1anop.jpg

Then for the big climb into the Sheriffmuir Hills, 400 foot ascent in the first 0.6 mile (122m in 1 km) was a real test piece, it was a further 3 mile to the top, but thankfully not as steep as the first bit. weather had now become quite overcast and was threatening rain
A look back at the monument
GE_9164_zpsxdnzagqt.jpg

then it was through the moors, I felt back at home here with no cars
GE_9168_zpskwfbemki.jpg

at look back at the hill section,
GE_9172_zpsar1zem96.jpg

Then it was through Blackford, and then the pretentious Glen Eagles golf resort - what a horrid place.

I had intended making it to perth, but I had wasted too much time, especially watching the wonderful bats at the canal tunnel. So I cut the day short and caught the train back to Linlithgow from Glen eagles station - 50 mile + 2100' ascent, so a good day out.
GE_9178_zpsg6jvouab.jpg
[/QUOTE]
A like for reminding me of the time I spent at Stirling University, the campus must be one of the most beautiful anywhere, thanks.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another grey day it would be nice to see some sunshine.

Another ride out today to meet up with some bicyclists on one of their weekly coffee mornings. This week they met up at the Waterside Restaurant along side the River Thames in Benson. As the roads were fairly dry I decided to take the Trek Madone and set off for the 11 mile journey, via Blewbury, Aston Tirrold, South Moreton and Wallingford, there was a good turnout at the cafe, I had a nice pot of Earl Grey tea and a Pain au Raisin, a chat with a few of the riders the set off towards Dorchester, though I took a wrong turn and headed back towards Wallingford, rather than retrace my ride, I headed towards Didcot and came home that way, not the nicest of roads but it was OK. A nice 23.41 mile ride, at leas it stayed dry.

1-IMG_0790.JPG

Those clouds look quite cross.

2-IMG_0791.JPG

The rolling stock and engines wrapped up for the winter at Wallingford Steam Railway.

3-IMG_0793.JPG

Wallingford Town Hall and Church

4-IMG_0794.JPG

This is supposed to be a water fountain.

5-IMG_0795.JPG

The Thames at Wallingford.

6-IMG_0796.JPG

7-IMG_0797.JPG

They must have long arms to reach that bike rack.

Untitled.jpg

Top Bottom