Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
image.jpeg
Climbed 445m

This is my favourite hill climb at the moment. Shame it's alway hard to see gradient in photos, but that is definitely "up", not flat...

image.jpeg

Hogtrough Hill should be a one way road IMO, or at least have several warnings of the crossroads (which I'm standing on to take that photo) coming up. I nearly died the first time I rode down it.

Pretty much the same but for other reasons when I went the other way too.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
So, after yesterdays fun and games, it was out on the hybrid.
I know I've joked about it, but shamefully the last time the hybrid saw the light of day was a month ago on September 26th... :blush:

To Scholes via Wood Lane and I immediately noticed that the 'new' Marathon tyre has less grip on the slippery stuff than the Tyrago it replaced. Anyhow, huffing and puffing up the hill, then onto Main Street and a quick(ish) run down to the Coronation Tree and out onto the bridleway at Bog Lane.
Through the countryside and a very enjoyable downhill blast before the climb onto Manston Lane, then Nanny Goat lane and the bridleway under the M1 and out to Barwick Road at Garforth.
Left, over the M1 bridge, through the S bend over the beck and up onto Parlington Lane towards Aberford.
It was quite busy on there today, unsurprisingly given the nice weather. lots of dog walkers and joggers, plus quite a few MTB'ers.
Muddy in places too, but good fun. Through the haunted tunnel and then through some glorious autumnal woodland before dropping into Aberford and turning right up the hill to the Almshouses for a breather and a pic:
IMG_20151025_095509166_HDR2.jpg

Refreshed, returned via the same route, encountering more Sunday strollers all of whom were friendly, except one nobber who on seeing me descending the last rocky hill on that section decided that he wasn't going to move slightly to one side, but was going to stand directly in the middle of the lane and stare at me.
Perhaps it was the luminosity of my flouro yellow jacket, or the front light strobing that hypnotised him?
I gave him a cheery thanks as I went around him, which seemed to confuse him no end.:dry:
Back via Long Lane and the bridleway over the golf course, before Manston Lane and through Pendas Fields and up to home.

14.47 miles in 1hr 16m at an average of 11.4mph - and yes, it did feel that slow. It's amazing the difference fatter, treaded tyres and a different riding position make. Oh, and being off road.
I checked the tyres when I got home and the were both down to around 30psi, which won't have helped...:headshake:so I've pumped them both back up to 65psi and we'll see how that goes next time. I need to raise the saddle an inch or so too. Funny how I struggled to get on with the riding position when I bought the road bike and now it's the hybrid that seems odd.

I did notice that riding a different bike gives you a different perspective. Pretty much all the roadies who I saw today ignored me on the hybrid, whilst I normally get a decent amount of hello's, mornings or even nods when I'm on the road bike. Conversely lots of MTB'ers were very chatty today.:scratch:

Good news though - the bike shop have phoned and the road bike is not only fixed and ready to collect, but there is no charge! :okay:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'm back in North Norfolk for a few days so decided on a short scoot up to Wells-Next-The-Sea and back here today.

Dry and bright, a complete contrast to yesterday's soaking freeze fest.
image.jpg

The long drive approaching Holkham Hall from the south. (On the Google Earth Flight simulator, I like to land an F:16 jet on here. It's tricky but doable, though I often take out the obelisk at the far end!)

image.jpg

Holkham Hall. I'd forgotten its some school holiday or other next week here, and the place was busier than usual. I can normally breeze through here without seeing a soul. Luckily, as most folk drive here, (though there were plenty on bikes too which was good), they only really lurk within about 50 yards of their cars, so escaping any crowds is never a problem.

Wells was busy too so I beat a hasty retreat to the solitude of the back country lanes and tracks.

image.jpg

Near North Creake I was astonished to find a field of yet to be harvested barley. Don't think I've ever seen uncut barley so late. There- who said there's not much to see in Norfolk?! Anyway, I wondererd if the farmer simply CBA!

15 leisurely miles here today.

Mike_P

Guru
There was a strange chugging noise as a waited to join a road this afternoon and then this went by
old car.jpg

Headed to Ripley where approaching the crossing of the A61 by NCN67 it suddenly dawned on me that I had forgot the pump, spare inner tube and tool kit. Suddenly NCN67 seemed an attractive proposition on the basis that if the p fairy did visit at least someone would be passing appropriately equipped. Decided to head to the western limits of the non road section cycleway which was delayed by a group of horses on cycleway rather than the adjacent bridleway
horse.jpg

My return to Ripley was a PR, suppose it was due to knowing the cycleway was free from obstructions (other than horses, dogs and people). In fact if had been people less I would have knocked more time off. Continued on NCN67 with slow progress despite ringing the bell but did manage another PR south from the viaduct over the Nidd. Heading homewards a chugging noise was heard again
old car 2.jpg

Just 12 miles but at least no puncture!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
https://www.strava.com/activities/420177913/segments/10109953258

The sun was shining and I NEEDED to get out and enjoy it. Hubster had to pump his tyre up, there is no hole in that tube so it must have just got bored and gone flat to entertain itself.
I've quite fancied doing this for a couple of weeks and we have the hang of the CXs again now, I showed Himself the route and he seemed happy to give it a go. Whinged within 100 yards of hitting the rough stuff though and kept grumbling all the way along the Deben, although we did stop regularly as I remembered the camera.
We'd gone along about 1/4 of a mile here.
DSCF7560%20800x600.jpg
I thought that these old bits of breakwater looked interesting so went down for a closer look. Covered in seaweed.
DSCF7563%20598x800.jpg
Looking back up at some bloke with his bike (Hubster)
DSCF7564%20600x800.jpg
We rode along a bit more and there was this jetty thing made from planks and old 40 gallon drums.
DSCF7565%20800x600.jpg
Getting towards Hemley, and the end of where we were riding along, we saw boats with reflections. Very pretty, we thought.
DSCF7578%20532x800.jpg

From Hemley we rode to the village via the muddiest track in the world. Should have stayed up on the riverside path, longer but not disc deep in clay-mud (which took an age to shower off - you should see the state of my bathroom :cry:) then via a nice dirt track and then a narrow track with stinging nettles and then a field which brought us out at Newbourne Village Hall.
From there we turned left and headed home. A couple of lovely hills - I enjoyed them anyway. When I got to the top, I turned around and went back for Hubster, who was muttering darkly about 'bloody hills' under his breath. Now I am 3 stone lighter, I am starting to actually enjoy riding up them. Don't tell anyone though.
DSCF7581%20598x800.jpg
I know it doesn't look like we have climbed very much but it was enough to have Hubster off his bike and walking, when I met him.

Once we got to the footbridge over the A14, I took the house key and headed off home, as my knees were aching a bit with the cold. Osteoarthritis causes only a few problems for me as I keep fit and take care of my knees. I am not allowed Brufen or anything like that so I need to stay fit and active to keep it at bay. I've had osterarthritis for about 20 years now and it's a plan that has worked well so far.

18.08 miles in just shy of 2 hours in the Autumn sunshine. I will certainly ride that route again. Maybe on the way to meet Hubster from dialysis. It was great fun. He hated it, I loved it.

One of those Autumn days that should not be missed, if you didn't ride, it would be regretful. When the wind is this light it matters not where you go, so a last minute decision to do a meandering route out to the Vale of Belvoir. Glorious colours, sun shining, not too cold for dr_pink [who should have been at the National Hill Climb but was just too tired and had very little training time] who suffers from cold hands.
A typical scene
5782EB7E-A939-4829-A5B4-33FCF0551D81_zpsscgdcz3u.jpg

At 37 miles in having just descended into The Vale, we pass 2 cyclists going the opposite way who we recognised immediately, some friends of ours from Sheffield! They had ridden down from near Worksop, so we showed them to one of our tea stops.
E3E91152-16BA-4E70-80B5-490138D990F9_zps98sqycob.jpg

Timed it perfectly, about 20 - 30 cyclists were just leaving. We stayed chatting for way too long, so after setting them off in the right direction we decided to take a shorter route back. Normally we leave the vale via a more gentle climb but longer route, I made the stupid decision to leave via a road that we had never tried but could see it rearing upwards in the distance, the approach,
E5D401E0-FAC4-43AE-832B-BEEA56C996FB_zpscdyqv5py.jpg

The end, having just come up an estimated 17 - 18%, on fixed, will check that at some point in the future.
8BEFC40D-301B-4222-A77E-6114D0FF36F0_zpspivxodam.jpg

70 hilly miles, probably not the best medicine for someone feeling tired, but a lovely ride anyway.

13 rider

Guru
One of those Autumn days that should not be missed, if you didn't ride, it would be regretful. When the wind is this light it matters not where you go, so a last minute decision to do a meandering route out to the Vale of Belvoir. Glorious colours, sun shining, not too cold for dr_pink [who should have been at the National Hill Climb but was just too tired and had very little training time] who suffers from cold hands.
A typical scene
5782EB7E-A939-4829-A5B4-33FCF0551D81_zpsscgdcz3u.jpg

At 37 miles in having just descended into The Vale, we pass 2 cyclists going the opposite way who we recognised immediately, some friends of ours from Sheffield! They had ridden down from near Worksop, so we showed them to one of our tea stops.
E3E91152-16BA-4E70-80B5-490138D990F9_zps98sqycob.jpg

Timed it perfectly, about 20 - 30 cyclists were just leaving. We stayed chatting for way too long, so after setting them off in the right direction we decided to take a shorter route back. Normally we leave the vale via a more gentle climb but longer route, I made the stupid decision to leave via a road that we had never tried but could see it rearing upwards in the distance, the approach,
E5D401E0-FAC4-43AE-832B-BEEA56C996FB_zpscdyqv5py.jpg

The end, having just come up an estimated 17 - 18%, on fixed, will check that at some point in the future.
8BEFC40D-301B-4222-A77E-6114D0FF36F0_zpspivxodam.jpg

70 hilly miles, probably not the best medicine for someone feeling tired, but a lovely ride anyway.
Was it Dove Cottage for tea.I been out there the last two Sundays on your recomdations not today though . The lemon drizzle cake is worth the ride

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Normal 30 miler with our lass this morning. Was expecting to get caught up with the Leicester Marathon, but timed it perfectly. Saw the half marathon leaders at the space centre and apart from seeing the tailenders across one of the lakes in Watermead that was about it.

Was pretty cold first thing, and I was glad I put a base layer on. Hardly any wind and by the time we got home it had warmed up a bit, but winter is definitely on it's way, as evidence by the ice on the flat roof when I looked out first thing this morning.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I ride out to watch unfeasibly skinny cyclists ride pipecleaner bikes turning themselves inside out. The National Hill Climb Championships

It was on today in Jackson Bridge which is near Holmfirth. Basic idea is 240 maniacs ride up a hill of about a mile @11%. Fastest is the winner. It's only about 12 miles from Glossop but my mate Wayne and I did about 36 miles to make a ride of it and then did about 16 home so 52 miles in total and about 5.600ft of climbing. So it was pretty tough but conditions were nice

We made it to Jackson Bridge in time to see the elite men and women. Blimey, they are fast, even the slower ones.

This is Maryka Sennema. She won the women's category, as she did do in 2014 and 2013

20151025_133137_8 (2).jpg

This is Dan Evans. He won last year but this year he was pipped by Richard Bussell. Nice pain face

20151025_143213_3 (2).jpg

Final one is Tom Bell of Holmfirth. I'd put a bet on him to come in the top 3. If he did it I'd be quids in big time. He came 5th :evil:

20151025_140426_12 (2).jpg

Good ride out. Made a nice change to spectate an event like this. Give it a try if you get the chance

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Today was a tough day. A tough day of ups and downs. When you are cycling the downs of Kent then that's what you are going to get, by the bucket full.
@Trickedem turned up at my house bang on 7.30am. We were on for a Kent loop visiting the Bredgbury Pinetum. It was cold this morning. 5°.. so a bit nippy. A 2 Buffage day I decided. The weather report was for cold most of the day, temps not rising much above double figures, cloudy in the morning with sunshine in the afternoon. And for a change, the BBC got it spot on.

It was 46 miles to the Pinetum and on the way I think we managed to find every hill on route. That was the theme for the first part of the ride. Lot's of ups and lots of downs. It's hard to get into any sort of rhythm with so much undulations, but you get on with it and keep the pedals turning.

It really was a glorious morning to be out on the bike. The first leg rest stop was at the village of Chiddingstone.
20151025_084300S.jpg

Chiddingstone Castle Lake, the castle hidden behind the trees.
20151025_084912S.jpg

This part of Kent is well known for it's sandstone rocks.
20151025_090140S.jpg

We continued our way through the countryside, every turn seeming to throw a climb at us. One turn in and we were presented what looked like a wall, taking us completely by surprise. This climb, short and very steep had a lot of tree cover and with yesterday's rain meant that my tyres were losing grip on the mulch., moss and gravel. I either had to unclip and stop or fall off. I chose the former. Tim, with his extra weight *cough*, managed to get to the top.. I did the walk of shame :-)

We finally got to Bredgbury and not before time. I think we were both cycling on empty by now and lunch was sorely needed.

The Pinetum.
20151025_110642S.jpg

A full English and a large mug of tea was just what was needed. We still had a long way to go. A bit more climbing before we reached the Kent levels at Biddenden. From there it was a joy to finally get back in the big ring, put some leg work down and do some miles at a faster pace. We were knocking out the miles at a rate of knots. Time for a pint. At the village of Yalding. In a pub called The George. A soon to be cyclist friendly pub we found, after having a natter with the landlord. Special bike parking and racks coming soon. A pint of Doom Bar for me and a pint of Hobgoblin for Tim went down very well.

You just cannot see how filthy these bikes are...
20151025_143912S.jpg

Some more flat levels were soon dispatched and it wasn't long until we reached the undulating Pilgrims Way. The sun was sitting low in the sky by now and seemed to give everything a beautiful autumnal glow.
20151025_160007S.jpg

Well this ride did have a sting in it's tail. The 14%'er of Cotman's Ash Lane, climbing up and over the downs. We didn't have to do this, as there is a much easier route home. But after the climb it's rewarded with probably one of the very best 3 miles of cycling in Kent. The Knatt's Valley.
20151025_160937S.jpg

So, 110 of your imperial miles for the day. Chilly and cloudy this morning, Chilly and beautiful blue skies and sunshine this afternoon.
Lot's and lot's of climbing...my leg's are feeling it and are telling me so.

Last edited:

gavgav

Legendary Member
A group ride today, for a change. I rode up to @Rickshaw Phil 's house, with the 1st thing noticeable being the strength of the southerly wind, which I wasn't expecting. The day took a downer, as I received word on my phone that a good friend had been taken into hospital. Probably good that I had the ride to take my mind off it though.

The 4 of us rode the very short distance down to their cousin's house and after Rob arrived we set off for our 13 mile journey to the pub in Little Stretton. I'd only ridden about 100 yards to the mini roundabout when an Astra came over the roundabout from my left, when it was my right of way! Good job I wasn't going fast. We then pulled out onto the A49 and I was given a close pass by my next door neighbour!! :thumbsdown:

Not in the best frame of mind I led the group up to Condover, fairly slowly into the headwind and then arrived at the junction for Ryton to find that 3 of us had become separated from the other 3. Feeling a bit worried we were about to turn back when Doug arrived and informed us that unfortunately one of the group had decided to cut the ride short. @Rickshaw Phil had stayed with them and told us to continue as a 4. :sad:

We continued to battle against the wind to Longnor and then along the muddy roads towards Cardington. We had to stop briefly for a horse drawn chariot!! and a tractor pulling a tanker that filled the whole road :eek:

We crossed the A49 again and then continued into All Stretton, Church Stretton and Little Stretton, where we glad of warming up in The Ragleth Inn. A nice pint of Butty Bach was consumed :cheers: along with chips and garlic bread, before the journey home.

@Rickshaw Phil had ensured our 1 rider had got back home safely, before heading out again and we met him about 5 mins after leaving the pub and he joined us for the journey home.

We re-traced our steps, but with the cold wind now behind us and a general downhill trend we managed the journey back around 15 minutes quicker than the outward journey.

I stopped at Phil's for a warm up with a Hot Chocolate and gave the dog some fuss before riding back in the dark along the cycle paths and the old railway track to my house.

35.2 miles at 11.3mph avg speed

Top Bottom