Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
During the summer, my friend Dan and I did five stages of Le Tour De Cochon (a bit of a cycling pub crawl around Suffolk where I always take a pork-pie), and so with a half-term available, on Monday we did Stage Six. What could possibly go wrong?

Instead of the predicted gloom, the morning ride from Ipswich to Laxfield (via Clopton, Crettingham, Earl Soham, Saxtead and Dennington) was in bright sunshine. The colours of the trees were spectacular and I had to decide to reduce the number of photo-stops or fail to get anywhere. However, this on a hill overlooking Earl Soham.
1.JPG

And this at Saxtead.

2.JPG

We made Laxfield (just five minutes before opening) to find that the pub supplies rings to tether steeds.

3.JPG

And this inside. Quite modern. :smile:

4.JPG

We moved to an adjacent pub, before cycling down to Badingham (The White Horse) and then to Sweffling (The White Horse - same name, different pub).

During the previous five stages I had paced myself with the consumption of beer, but I'm rather ashamed to say (at my age I should know better) I indulged myself a little too much and consequently took excursions into a couple of hedges (one of them twice - I untangled myself, stood back to inspect my bike for damage and was laughing so much I misplaced my footing and fell back in).

Cycling in the countryside at night was wonderful (even though we'd been warned of aggressive badgers) and I intend to do more of this in the future, but with far less alcohol inside me next time.

The moon. (Oh, total ride: 51 miles.)

6.JPG

Old jon

Guru
A misty morning, so much so that the headline in the Yorkshire Post could have been

" Fog on Leeds Ring Road, England isolated "

But I don't think it was. There was a lot of it about for most of the 35.8 miles I rode today, I did video some but it is totally featureless. Anyway, Oakwood Clock, Boot Hill, Collingham, where half a hundredweight of spuds had been spread over the road, very interesting riding, Wetherby,Kirk and North Deighton, a left to Spofforth where I could actually see the other side of the street, and return home through Wetherby and the A58 again. I seem to have maybe five or six rides I repeat continually. Must do better.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
One of those Autumn days that should not be missed, if you didn't ride, it would be regretful. When the wind is this light it matters not where you go, so a last minute decision to do a meandering route out to the Vale of Belvoir. Glorious colours, sun shining, not too cold for dr_pink [who should have been at the National Hill Climb but was just too tired and had very little training time] who suffers from cold hands.
A typical scene
5782EB7E-A939-4829-A5B4-33FCF0551D81_zpsscgdcz3u.jpg

At 37 miles in having just descended into The Vale, we pass 2 cyclists going the opposite way who we recognised immediately, some friends of ours from Sheffield! They had ridden down from near Worksop, so we showed them to one of our tea stops.
E3E91152-16BA-4E70-80B5-490138D990F9_zps98sqycob.jpg

Timed it perfectly, about 20 - 30 cyclists were just leaving. We stayed chatting for way too long, so after setting them off in the right direction we decided to take a shorter route back. Normally we leave the vale via a more gentle climb but longer route, I made the stupid decision to leave via a road that we had never tried but could see it rearing upwards in the distance, the approach,
E5D401E0-FAC4-43AE-832B-BEEA56C996FB_zpscdyqv5py.jpg

The end, having just come up an estimated 17 - 18%, on fixed, will check that at some point in the future.
8BEFC40D-301B-4222-A77E-6114D0FF36F0_zpspivxodam.jpg

70 hilly miles, probably not the best medicine for someone feeling tired, but a lovely ride anyway.

Brock Hill, south of Hose? Pffft! Ridden that a couple of times without feeling out of breath!

in the opposite direction, of course!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, as usual.
I had to be home for 11:15 ish as I was meeting up with the family at The Trumpet for a Birthday lunch and beer or two, I set out fairly early on the CX .
With no particular route in mind, I went through Cogenhoe, past Dunkleys railway carriage restaurant and up the hill in Earls Barton to one of my favourite local café's, Scotch Lodge Farm, where I had a slice of marmalade cake and a cuppa.

DSC_2774.JPG

They're lovely people that run the place and are always friendly and up for a chat.

DSC_2772.JPG

They also do a range of home made pies, including venison, rabbit and pigeon, but today I just picked up a bag of these to go with my evening beer. Darn tasty they are too, but a bit uncomfortable,noisy and crackly when shoved down the cycling top to take home! :laugh:

Anyway, I didn't have long to stay there today and had to head homewards past Sywell Reservoir and through Overstone caravan park as a short cut.

I took the opportunity to record the ride on the CX through Overstone Woods which is quite windy through the rhododendrons, and slippery on the leaves at this time of year. Good fun though..

Back home on 14 miles, ready to get changed out of my shorts, showered and be off down the pub for beer and steak :okay:

https://www.strava.com/activities/421217071

:smile:

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Day off work got up this morning and it was chucking it down so a morning of odd jobs waiting for the rain to clear . Thankfully after diner it cleared up so out with the bike . Up through Newtown Linford left up Ulverscoft lane heading for today's target of Polly Botts lane climb .A couple of weeks ago @Supersuperleeds made a rare visit to the hilly parts of Leicestershire and annoyingly was faster than me up my favourite climb. So today it was time to put that right . I always struggle to get the climb right I m fast at the bottom half but blow up on the second half. But today I was still fast on the bottom and managed to just about keep it up so a pr on bottom half and top so pr overall and faster than @Supersuperleeds ^_^ Not sure if he will make another rare visit to try again :tongue: So after a short rest at the crossroads so I could breath again ! I retraced Saturdays ride Markfield ,Thornton ,Ratby ,Groby and Home 16.1 miles done in 1 hr 4 mins a few other PRS around Thornton reservoir thrown in for good measure finished the ride in glorious sunshine wishing a I'd not put on winter gear as I was too warm

Last edited:
Day off work got up this morning and it was chucking it down so a morning of odd jobs waiting for the rain to clear . Thankfully after diner it cleared up so out with the bike . Up through Newtown Linford left up Ulverscoft lane heading for today's target of Polly Botts lane climb .A couple of weeks ago @Supersuperleeds made a rare visit to the hilly parts of Leicestershire and annoyingly was faster than me up my favourite climb. So today it was time to put that right . I always struggle to get the climb right I m fast at the bottom half but blow up on the second half. But today I was still fast on the bottom and managed to just about keep it up so a pr on bottom half and top so pr overall and faster than @Supersuperleeds ^_^ Not sur if he will make another rare visit to try again :tongue: So after a short rest at the crossroads so I could breath again ! I retraced Saturdays ride Markfield ,Thornton ,Ratby ,Groby and Home 16.1 miles done in 1 hr 4 mins a few other PRS around Thornton reservoir thrown in for good measure finished the ride in glorious sunshine wishing a I'd not put on winter gear as I was too warm
Polly Botts is Leicester Road Club's annual hill climb competition, but anyone can have a crack. Harby hill is another local competition, that is Melton Olympic's climb, guess who took the long standing women's record for that one :whistle:.

13 rider

Guru
Polly Botts is Leicester Road Club's annual hill climb competition, but anyone can have a crack. Harby hill is another local competition, that is Melton Olympic's climb, guess who took the long standing women's record for that one :whistle:.
I might be faster than @Supersuperleeds but I don't think either of us are fast enough to worry people who enter hills climbs yet. I think @dr_pink would definitely beat me up any climb even on a fixed .I see you rode up Brock hill on Sunday I avoid that one with gears !!!

Last edited:
Finally; finally, finally managed to get out after family visiting from Canada, and a chest infection for about a month. Don't think spending that evening in Manc at the England/Uruguay match helped! A miserable 7 miles in the dark on my recumbent. But at least I stopped coughing and feeling shivery a couple of days ago. Legs feel OK now but have been very debilitated for a couple of weeks. On the up at last! Getting older sucks.......

Went out yesterday , not a long ride, just a loosener after Sundays's effort (OK I know I went out Monday too!)
Three ascents in different ways up 'Egham Hill', and a loop of Windsor Great Park.
I managed in shorts again.

Lots of hold ups so speed not great
Stuck behind a tractor in the park, breathing its fumes, managed to overtake it. Various roadworks, two level crossings, waiting for a large lorry to reverse etc.

24.74 miles @ 15.4 mph
1309 feet climbed

NOW COMPLETED STRAVA CLIMBING CHALLENGE!
:wahhey::wahhey::wahhey:

7500 metres for the month - the brunt of it done in three rides, Surrey Legs of Steel, Original BOx Hill Sportive, and last Sunday's Sigma Sport Challenge.
https://www.strava.com/activities/421958919

Last edited:
Top Bottom