Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
An enjoyable tandem ride today. Set off into watery sunshine in the direction of Dry Drayton. Today I would be concentrating on not spinning too quick, and I was mindful for once.
Just after Oakington we joined the guided busway, where we saw one of many guided busses....
image.jpeg

There was plenty to see, long horn cattle, horses, sheep,kestrels, windmills and a variety of other cyclists from Castelli clad roadies to grannies on shopper bikes.
At St Ives we stopped in the tea shop by the river for a bit of sustenance
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I wheeled the bike up to the top of the bridge to get an assisted start, off we rolled back down the busway in perfect harmony

image.jpeg

Not long after the above pic there was some rummaging and bouncing from the stoking department, I shook my head slightly, then she delivered a line that will live long in the memory.... "P*ss flaps can be uncomfortable you know!"
And this ladies and gentlemen is why I love her so. Such eloquence!

Back in through Cambridge and out along the Coton cycle path. Blackberries were picked.
Here we are heading for home, not sure if we are quite in control at this point...
image.jpeg

Back up Madingley Hill and we had to pull out onto the road as the cycle path was blocked by police cars. Someone was killed there late last night and the family were crossing the road to lay flowers in the hedge. Sad.

Toward the top of the hill the windmill was looking good in the evening light, this property is for sale at the minute if you have a couple of million...

image.jpeg

36 and a bit enjoyable miles in the autumn sunshine.

https://www.strava.com/activities/423768372

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Nice little 50 miler with the club then a nice coffee with Ron.
upload_2015-10-31_18-2-29.png

That's Ronnie Osulivan in case you did not recognize him. :okay:

Old jon

Guru
Another promising morning for a ride, so although I felt a little guilty, off I pedalled. My usual route towards Wetherby was strangely quiet this morning, still trying to work out why. Puncture at Collingham, ah well. Just get on with it. While doing the tyre and tube thing that stuff between my ears revamped my intended route, I sort of automatically turned right onto the York road part way through Wetherby. The intention had originally been to see how far towards Knaresborough I would travel. Strange thing, my mind. A couple of miles along the road, there is a turn off for Walton. Thinks ( twice in a day !! ), Thorpe Arch, Boston Spa, Bramham, Thorner, OK I do it often but lets just do it again. 35.2 miles of very pleasant riding.
IMG_1057.jpg
and a picture to show for it.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
What a glorious :sun:and warm day, more like July than the last day of October. Shorts and light jacket were back out of hibernation again, as I took my mileage for October up to 187.3 which is my second highest monthly total of 2015 so far, showing what a great month for cycling it has been.

22.7 miles, began with a trip through the estate and along the old railway bed, before climbing up into Bayston Hill and up Lyth Hill. Encountered a nobber in a Ford Focus estate, who squeezed past me on a narrow section on Lyth Hill Rd, when there was a wider section coming up if they'd waited 10'seconds. They'd parked up at the top, when I got there, but unfortunately/fortunately (delete as applicable) were nowhere to be seen and so I couldn't give them a piece of my mind. Total idiot :cursing:

It's getting quite muddy and wet on Lyth Hill now and so I may stop taking this route to dads until the Spring.

Descended to Exfords Green and then spent half an hour with dad, before continuing to Ryton and Longnor, where I met a Peacock waltzing towards me :eek:!

From there it was the nice flat section to Frodesley, Acton Burnell and Pitchford, before a bit of climbing to Betton Abbots, where I had a really patient tractor driver follow me up the hill and wait until the view was clear, where I waved him through and he gave me a wave and a thanking peep of his horn :okay:

I felt very lethargic on the bike today, probably to do with the 3 pints of Shropshire Gold that @Rickshaw Phil forced me to drink last night :laugh::whistle:
I deny everything.:secret:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Two rides to report.
Out on the hybrid yesterday and did a quick 10.29 miles loop down to Garforth mainly off road on bridleways and back via NCN R66. Still felt slow, it was good fun through the mud and puddles. Cycling up Wood Lane was like riding up a stream there was that much water running down the hill.

Today was the biggy though as I was determined to put last weekend's problems behind me...

Out to Thorner, up Milner Lane then country lanes to Collingham, Linton, Wetherby and then up the hill and on to Spofforth. Then new ground up to Little Ribston before North Deighton, Kirk Deighton and Wetherby.
On familiar roads to Thorp Arch, Boston Spa and Clifford, then Bramham including the Col de Town Hill and the scenic route out over the A64 and down Fanny Lane to Stutton.
Ulleskelf, Church Fenton, Barkston Ash, Saxton, Lotherton Hall and then back via Aberford, Barwick and Scholes.
Quick loop round the Pendas to add a little more mileage and up to home.

51.24 miles in 3hrs 19mins at an average 15.4 mph with 2004 ft climbed.
Although my OCD is well vexed at 3,999 kcals burned...

Mission achieved, my first imperial half century! :cheers:
31102015_F.jpg

31102015_M.jpg

I think I might have spotted Old jon heading the other way too. Will have to ask next time.

Edit: Forgot to say that this ride took me to a total of 361.77 miles for October - a new monthly record!

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
Two rides to report.
Out on the hybrid yesterday and did a quick 10.29 miles loop down to Garforth mainly off road on bridleways and back via NCN R66. Still felt slow, it was good fun through the mud and puddles. Cycling up Wood Lane was like riding up a stream there was that much water running down the hill.

Today was the biggy though as I was determined to put last weekend's problems behind me...

Out to Thorner, up Milner Lane then country lanes to Collingham, Linton, Wetherby and then up the hill and on to Spofforth. Then new ground up to Little Ribston before North Deighton, Kirk Deighton and Wetherby.
On familiar roads to Thorp Arch, Boston Spa and Clifford, then Bramham including the Col de Town Hill and the scenic route out over the A64 and down Fanny Lane to Stutton.
Ulleskelf, Church Fenton, Barkston Ash, Saxton, Lotherton Hall and then back via Aberford, Barwick and Scholes.

View attachment 108647
View attachment 108648

I think I might have spotted Old jon heading the other way too. Will have to ask next time.

:cheers:congratulations. It was my first solo imperial half century on Friday, which was much harder than riding in a group.

Katherine

Guru
Two rides to report.

View attachment 108647
View attachment 108648

'next time... ' You should join the half century a month challenge!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
https://www.strava.com/activities/423994173/segments/10203023057

Off to meet Hubster from hospital again.
He texted to say that there was a little low lying mist in the dips so to take a bit of care, if I was riding. I said that I'd let him know nearer the time. He was getting unplumbed at 2205 so I had a bit of time to decide.
By about 2055 my fingers were starting to hurt. Dire Straits solos are quite hard work. I use a pick unlike the sainted Mark.
I got out of Felixstowe and through Trimley St Mary in nice clear night weather but after I passed the roundabout and was heading for Trimley St Martin it started to mist up a bit. It cleared fairly quickly so I piled on a bit.
As I rode along, whatever that wee road that runs parallell with the A14 is called, it really fogged up and got worse around the Levington area. I was over half way by then so thought I'd carry on as there was a lot in the way of cyclepaths to ride on. My lights are seriously bright too, all 3 of the rear ones can be seen from a good 1/4 mile away, I am told.
Instead of turning up Straight Road and coming in on the Bucklesham Road, I decided to go straight along the Felixstowe Road instead, which I knew brought me out at Sainsburys. I've avoided this route thus far as there are roadworks and it gets a bit narrow when there are busses and lorries about. I figured at 2140, it would probably be OK. Anyway, there are cycle lanes.
No sooner had I passed the Shepherd & Dog PH, the fog cleared and I had a clear spin all the way in. Hitting that roundabout, where I normally turn right, was great. Firstly it was empty, secondly, I went straight on as I was coming in on a different road. I knew that there is a segment up there so I got my head down and got on with it. I took 12 seconds off my PB, chuffed with that. Moved from 60th to 36th (Women's rankings, not all time rankings). Unlikely to ever get a QOM there as it's held by a professional lady cyclist.
Slightly shorter route this 11.12 miles. Done in about 44 mins. I could have had an extra 10 mins on guitar. I got there early so stomped about, stretched etc, while waiting for Hubster to come out.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, as usual.

Mrs Pete was wanting to put some pictures up on the lounge wall, so out came the hammer and picture hooks, with me champing at the bit to get out for a pedal before work.....
After about 15 minutes (she was busy doing stuff on the PC) I said I needed to where the aforementioned pics needed to be hammered home. Still busy, apparently, so I said I'll sort them out when I get back. No reply... Silence is good in these situations, yes? :whistle:

Anyway, back to the important stuff. I only had a few hours, so I had to plan a route in my head. I reckoned I could get as far as Easton Maudit, Bozeat and Wollaston before turning back towards home..

DSC_2773.JPG

On the way, I got a pic of the WW2 memorial at Santa Pod raceway. The old airstrip is now put to other uses. In fact, there was something going on there today as the access roads were jammed with 03 plate cars with phat tires 'pumping out de bass'. Still, they were all respectful of me on my bike, so 'big up da hood', or summat.... :becool:

DSC_2782.JPG

Onwards via Wollaston and up the Hardwater Road climb, where the millpond was looking quite serene, to Wilby, Sywell, Overstone and home.

Lovely 31 mile pre-w*rk ride in decent weather and back in time for a shower, lunch and to look at the pics exactly where I left them when I went out :laugh:

https://www.strava.com/activities/423590100

:smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Dave 123 those flaps you mention are they better than the one on my front blumell ?

Anyway a nice pre 6 am ride today new route down through town centre, Little Irchester, up gypsy lane and right at Irchrster along to Hinwick .

WP_20151101_001.jpg

Where mist was starting to lift then carried on towards Bozeot and along to Easton Maudit where the church was just visible in the mist. Cut across to Yardley Hastings where it was mist free nearly.

WP_20151101_002.jpg

Then decision time so I opted for right turn and headed towards Denton and along to Whiston and Earls Barton noting the new marina has an open weekend 7/8 November.

Final section of the ride was towards Mears Ashby and the top side of town where this chap appeared next to me riding a really nice retro road bike.

WP_20151101_005.jpg

Top Bottom