Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Home to Crawley via a very muddy cycle route where I startled some mtb-ers. Looked at some veteran cars and ate a bacon roll served by a boy scout. Met the FNRttC crew. Rode illegally in a guided bus lane. Heard a posh voice say "why are there so many cyclists?" from the boot of an Aston Martin. Chased a recumbent down a hill quite briskly. Passed the pub where I took tlh on our first date and where Frank, I learned, played his last game of cricket. Got chased up a hill by two veteran cars but only one had the horses to pass me. Peeled off and followed my old commute route wheeeeee! All the way home.

Foggy mist and damp. One of those rides when you are too hot and too cold somehow at the same time.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Out this morning at 0900 it was foggy so lights on . Rode to meeting point in Cossington via Anstey ,Cropston and Rothley . Met up with mate Andy so set off up humble lane though Ratcliffe on the Wreake ,Thrussington ,Hoby ,Asfordby crossed the a607 and out on the quiet lanes around Gaddesby .As we climbed out of the valley the sun started making an appearance . Downhill to Ashby Foeville and into Gaddesby after recrossing the a607 on to the cycle path in Gaddesby I managed to flick a stick into my spokes which broke my new front crud mungaurd :angry: After a quick bodge to get the guard to stay in place with one arm the ride continued .After the quick stop and redropping into the valley the temperature had noticeably dropped an the fog returned so retracing our steps. Through Thrussington ,Ratcliffe on the Wreake and Cossington. I followed Andy home in Sileby and stopped for a coffee. So set off for home headed up Through Walton on the Wolds ,Barrow on soar ,Quorn ,Woodhouse ,Woodhouse Eaves ,Swithland ,Rothley ,Cropston and Home . Finished the ride in glorious sunshine as the temperatures started to rise . 50.3 miles done at 14.8 mph. Good ride despite the foggy conditions and mist which played havoc with my glasses .

Basil.B

Guru
Was misty to start but after about 6 miles it cleared and I was rewarded with blue skies and sun, did 45 miles in all.
Was cycling along a road that runs behind Kidlington Airport on the way back. Suddenly heard the loud noise of a small jet engined plane preparing for take off. Was then blasted by leafs and other debris as it fired up its engines, cheers then!

ScotiaLass

Guru
I went out on the MTB with a friend (and fellow Belle) - intending only to do about 10 -15 miles.
27.5 miles later....:laugh:

We took the NCR 76 and intended to turn around at Kincardine Bridge. My friend had never been that way before and I told her that there was a shared path all the way along to Culross. Her reply? "Let's do it!" :rolleyes:
So we did! We stopped at Culross, had our lunch/snacks, which we had brought with us, and cycled back.

I'm sore....I've only done 2 shorts rides since being back from Canada. My thighs ache and my shorts have been rubbing :sad:
Maybe not the wisest decision I've made - the couple of hills almost killed me :rofl:

2015-11-2.png

Me and my cycle buddy

20151101_122053.png

Nice place to rest our bikes!
2015-11-01 14.59.13.png

Heading back...you don't get tired of a view like that!

Some week-end rides to report;

Yesterday was first club run for a while and the first decent length ride since the club sportive a couple of week-ends ago.Boy did I feel it:heat::blink:;managed to keep with the pace though until a puncture halted things a few km's from the end.
I waived the group on and told them to keep going as it seemed silly for everyone to stop at that stage.Changed the tube pretty quickly(smell bit of flint) but had a small IQ problem with the co2 thing as I hadn't used it for so long:rolleyes:.
First puncture for the Paves (despite them cutting pretty quick) so not bad since they were fitted back in March:smile:;rear is nearly shot really though but the front is still ok so may get one for the rear.

https://www.strava.com/activities/423618017

Couple of rides today;

First a spin out with the better half after the fog had lifted,nice 27k and the pace is going up nicely now she is getting used to the bike and clips pedals and still no issues apart from the odd wobble on clipping in.

https://www.strava.com/activities/424496114

We had made plans to get the train up to Kings Lynn for a ride-out via Sandringham and back to pick up the train home but by the time the fog had lifted it was a bit late to go really so will have to wait for a better day.

Last was a quick spin on the Helium for maybe it's last run out of the year;

https://www.strava.com/activities/424496168
Might not be yet though if this wether stays as it is as it's always a blast on the Ridley on a day like today:bicycle:.

An enjoyable tandem ride today. Set off into watery sunshine in the direction of Dry Drayton. Today I would be concentrating on not spinning too quick, and I was mindful for once.
Just after Oakington we joined the guided busway, where we saw one of many guided busses....
View attachment 108611
There was plenty to see, long horn cattle, horses, sheep,kestrels, windmills and a variety of other cyclists from Castelli clad roadies to grannies on shopper bikes.
At St Ives we stopped in the tea shop by the river for a bit of sustenance
View attachment 108612
View attachment 108613
View attachment 108614

I wheeled the bike up to the top of the bridge to get an assisted start, off we rolled back down the busway in perfect harmony

View attachment 108615

Not long after the above pic there was some rummaging and bouncing from the stoking department, I shook my head slightly, then she delivered a line that will live long in the memory.... "P*ss flaps can be uncomfortable you know!"
And this ladies and gentlemen is why I love her so. Such eloquence!

Back in through Cambridge and out along the Coton cycle path. Blackberries were picked.
Here we are heading for home, not sure if we are quite in control at this point...
View attachment 108616

Back up Madingley Hill and we had to pull out onto the road as the cycle path was blocked by police cars. Someone was killed there late last night and the family were crossing the road to lay flowers in the hedge. Sad.

Toward the top of the hill the windmill was looking good in the evening light, this property is for sale at the minute if you have a couple of million...

View attachment 108617

36 and a bit enjoyable miles in the autumn sunshine.

https://www.strava.com/activities/423768372

Take it that would be the River tea rooms then? A regular stop for our club runs when they go out that way.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Out just after 8am into the fog, so lights on.

Not planning anything too excessive after yesterdays efforts and just thought I'd have a ride round.
Out to Thorner, traffic lights on Coal Road still not detecting bikes (is this 6 months now..?), down the lumpy hill into the village past a couple on MTB's.
Then the direct route to Bramham via Wothersome. The fog / mist was playing havoc with my specs, having to wipe the moisture off every few hundred yards at some points. Through the dip, wheezed up the other side and then turned left towards Wetherby just before Bramham.
At this point the fog lifted and the sun came out - it started getting quite warm too. November? You could have fooled me!
Wetherby, Thorp Arch, Boston Spa (back into the fog and murk by now), the more direct route to Clifford, Bramham, Town Hill and then a drink and a photo:

IMG_20151101_092930498_HDR3.jpg

Then a straight run down NCN R66 to Aberford and home via the ancient capital Barwick-in-Elmet and Scholes.
Had a very disconcerting "clang" and a sudden rattly noise betwixt Aberford and Barwick and when i stopped I found that one of the bottle holders had failed (the one with the clear bottle in the pic above) - shearing straight across one of the longitudinal bars and was rattling like buggery. This is the second one of these that has done this to me in as many weeks, so you might want to avoid Halfords own metal bottle cages....:cursing: At least it wasn't the mudguards again!

26.39 miles today, in 1 hr 49m at an average of 14.5 mph, which I'll take after yesterdays imperial half. 989ft climbed too - and it felt like it today.

01112015.jpg

Then as I got back home the sun finally burned through, so I cleaned and lubed both bikes. And finally got round to adjusting the seat on the hybrid. :okay: IMG_20151101_1211343942.jpg
IMG_20151101_121701412_HDR2.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
What an odd day... Up at 7, dragged my still drunk son out of bed and took him and his bike to work, he stank! Dirty little git.
Came home for breakfast and the fog was burning off nicely. I left approaching nine.
The plan was to go out to Grafham Waterthen head east to Ely and Newmaket, then come home.
Turning toward Knapwell the sun was warming the world
image.jpeg

On through patches of thick fog, then sun, then fog.
Toward Graveley I had to stop to take a pic of the fog lifting from the fields, if only this did the scene justice
image.jpeg

As I went to pull away I heard a squeak from my bike, instinctively I looked down. I didn't see the squeak but saw 2 empty bottle cages! What a knob head!
The fog was thick and constant after this.
Luckily I was heading for Grafham cycles, but now I was REALLY thirsty!
I got lucky crossing the A1 at Buckden, a minute laterMrs Dave drove past, we were meeting at the bike shop.
We met up and did what we had to do then I set off for Huntingdon & St Ives.
The road from St Ives to Earith is a bit straight and fast so I decided to head south to find the sun again.
Off down the busway I went. It's almost a year since I've been on here, then I use it twice in 2 days!
The teasels were looking fab....
image.jpeg

Coming into Cambridge the lights went back on, it was like full on summer!
I gave Jo a call as she was now in town, we met for lunch on Kings wall.
image.jpeg

My convoluted detour took me through South Cambs, brushing Herts and into Beds for a few minutes.
I was getting tired in the last 20 miles, that'll be yesterday's tandem ride...

100 and a bit miles of foggy and flaming fun!

https://www.strava.com/activities/424531695

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Started early this morning, throwing in a 10 mile loop before the start of my latest club ride, via the lanes South to Longney. I had half a mind to do my Metric Century-a-Month Challenge ride today, so thought I'd get ahead of the game. Thick fog all along the Severn Vale meant wearing my emergency high viz jacket and setting off with all lights blazing. 6 of us started the "relaxed group" club ride from the Kingsway Estate today, with one pulling out quite early on. Again, no @Dark46 today. I think he may be hiding a secret other life as a superhero.

Headed out to Dursley and back via Stroud and, in particular, Selsley Hill. For anyone who doesn't know it, Selsley Hill is a mother of a hill, steep and long ... about 2 miles of steepness up through the village of Selsley, past the cattle grid, and up onto Selsley Common and Coaley Peak. As usual, I was last to the top, but winched my heavyweight ass up there without stopping. Bright sunshine and stunning views of hilltops emerging from a white cloudscape down below us made the hills along the Cotswold Edge look like islands in a sea of fog. Wales had disappeared altogether. Anyone know if it is still there?

A great, exhilarating sweep down through Uley along Crawley Hill was a nice reverse of part of our ride from a couple of weeks back. We passed a sign saying "low gear: 12% for 1.5 miles". Was very glad not to be climbing it this week. Back down in the fog once more, the hairs on my face, arms and legs started to act as fog filters again, picking up a cold dew as I rode, and leaving me soaking wet.

Once again struggling to keep up with a club pace that was just a tad too fast for me, we eventually got back to Kingsway with me still almost exactly 20 miles short of 100km. Nackered as I was, I reckoned it was easier to carry on in dry and windless conditions this week than to hope for decent weather later in the month and try all over again..... so I went for it despite all the aches and pains. Somehow I got myself down to Frampton on Severn and back, finishing my ride on 103.3 km (64.2 miles) in almost exactly 4 hrs 45 mins. (Easily my fastest Challenge ride so far, averaging 13.5mph over that distance even with a few stops). Here I am. looking shattered, but not half as shattered as I actually was:
290.JPG

After a hot bath, I'm now welded to the sofa, unable to move. Whoa, am I going to ache tomorrow!
Cheers, Donger.

Attachments

• 289 November Century evidence.JPG
    289 November Century evidence.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
https://www.strava.com/activities/422775530
Home to hospital again. Took the roadie and had a blast, averaging 16.25mph tonight, over 11 and a bit miles.
I scalped a couple of young men on MTBs. I called out 'on your right' as I approached them, one looked around and then tried to kick on a bit. I said 'evening' as I passed him, at a bit of a pace. I could hear him say to his mate "Flipping heck, my lovely friend, that seems to be a person of a female persuasion who has just passed us and left us in her dust" or words to that effect.:laugh::bicycle:

After grooming, guitar practice and eating macaroons, a ride was just what I needed. Now I need a cup of tea.
Hey you deserve a huge pot of the tea stuff for that great story. I have been that "guy" on the MTB many times...Enjoy your cuppa.

Top Bottom