Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I would like to post some pics, but when I went to take the first of the many possible wonderful views I saw today, the camera beeped to inform me the batteries were about to die - so literary skills only, today. :whistle:

A day of experimentation: I headed north from Ipswich to Crettingham and then headed down some minor lanes I'd never explored. This, it turned out, was a good idea. Going out in my winter jacket (because of the fog) was not. After about three-quarters-of-an-hour the fog started to lift, I started to heat up, and the jacket is too bulky to remove unless I have a bungee cord to hold it in place on the bars. Oh, well ...

After some spectacular vistas around Hoo, I passed through Parham airfield (my American uncle flew B17's from here) and went to Marlesford. This looks a lovely little village (easy to get to by car - a bit of a bugger on a bike, unless you want to endure the A12), but it seems the end of WW2 hasn't been announced there yet as there were no road signs indicating where it was!

Meandered down more lanes that I have never used before (but will again) that took me to Wickham Market, and then a dash for home via Melton and Woodbridge bellowing good morning to every other rider I saw. (A few yelled back.) There are a terrific number of pheasants about at the moment and most seemed oblivious to my presence until I was nearly upon them. As my wife and I recently had one for dinner - and enjoyed it - I did have moments of wondering if it would be possible to nab one while cycling. (There are times I yearn to respond to my latent poacher instincts.)

42 miles, I didn't crash into any hedges, but I did build a fearsome appetite for some Sunday afternoon beers. :cheers:

Tin Pot

Guru
Climbed 511m

Awesome view of the vinyards of Kent.
image.jpeg

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Another Sunday another glorious day for the Western League CX - this week at Stratford Park in Stroud.

Very proud as today my 6 year old daughter took part in her first 'race' - an U12's event is ran before the main race.

image-jpeg.108819.jpg

She thoroughly enjoyed it & her determination was fantastic :-)

As for me I struggled ! ( In the vets race ).
But managed to finish & further up the field than usual.

image-jpeg.108820.jpg

toffee

Guru
Back in the UK after our trip to Copenhagen, Didn't get out till just after 4 pm today for a trip round the local roads with Mrs T. First time we have had to use our lights in the dark which was a good experience, The weather was very good with little wind and very clear.
upload_2015-11-1_22-0-42.png

Just under 1.30 for 18 miles at 13.4 mph, a lot faster that our trip round Copenhagen and about 20,000 less bikes. In fact we only pasted 1 other cyclist.

Derek

Katherine

Guru
@Katherine Those owls are done by someone I know, in fact he's just done a carving for me of a Lewis chessman. There are many in the area, I've been meaning to post a few on here but you've beaten me to it. My favourite is on the road between Knutsford and Chelford, it looks like King Canute (Knutsford is named after him). I'll get out and post some others if I can get my finger out. They really are stunning.

Please do post more of them. They definitely added some charm to my ride.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7.2 miles today, shaking down the Raleigh Technium amidst newly reopened views after the harvest, following the rains this week.
68F
Winds SW8
59% relative humidity
29.97 barometer
Sunny
https://www.flickr.com/photos/136312243@N03/22066582683/in/datetaken/

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My ride today, posted today!

No foggy photographs from me today... I had all the fog I wanted driving from Norwich to Latimer Park last night at work.

Once I'd got myself into gear, I set off by lunchtime on,apparently, the warmest day in November since records began. I wish I'd have gone for the shorts option but wasn't sure what time I'd get back, and it does chill down noticeably as the sun lowers in the sky.
Anyway, the route was, sadly, my normal drive to work but I veered left in Little Harrowden towards Orlingbury before I got there (phew!) Onwards to Broughton, where I rode past one of the many memorials for the WW2 airfields.

airfield.jpg

Totally invisible from ground level, the old airfield is quite obvious from above..

The road from here, through Draughton, is one of my favourite bits of tarmac in these here parts. A lovely flowing down, up, down and up couple of times, for a mile of so over open fields. There can be vicious side winds sometimes, but today was kind.

DSC_2794.JPG

Quick photo opportunity by Draughton Rectory gates.

From here, I was heading towards Old but fancied an ice cream at Pitsford Res, so hung a right turn through Scaldwell and Brixworth to get there.
Usually there's an ice cream van at the top end car park, but not today. I had to ride though the crowds enjoying the smashing weather to get to the cafe at t'other end of the res.

DSC_2799.JPG

Still, it was worth the effort. Once I'd cooled down with the raspberry & white chocolate cone (with a flake) I headed towards home via Merry Tom Lane and down the Brampton Valley Way for a circuit of the town and home.

Back home on 41 miles unbroken sunshine and lovely subdued autumnal late afternoon light.

https://www.strava.com/activities/424479976

:smile:

Attachments

• DSC_2794.JPG
    DSC_2794.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_2799.JPG
    DSC_2799.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 57

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Cracking pictures @Gareth C, thanks for sharing!
@Rickshaw Phil I've been following your saddle woes on your 100 milers, hope you'll soon find your ideal set up.
Are you still not using padded shorts?
No. Being quite stubborn about that :shy:. I like the leather saddles but finally had to accept that the B17 is just too wide. The Team Pro seems a much better shape for me but having only done 125 miles on it before doing this ride it simply hasn't had time yet to break in. I think I may get on quite well with it when it does.

Katherine

Guru
Hilly Skyride from Bolton with TWO coffee and cake stops, first at Turton, second at Rivington. Just a small group and sadly I was the only female again. The ride leader rewarded us with regular jelly babies at the top of some long climbs. Started in the mist with 3 layers on, by mid morning I was down to my short sleeved base layer in bright sunshine, stunning autumnal views against blue skies and so still. I couldn't take many photos because of people waiting for me.
2685 feet elevation, which is a record for me, and yes, I was the slowest on the ups but I didn't stop on any of them and caught up on some exhilarating downs.
Within yards of the finish, back in Bolton, I got a puncture! A large thorn. The guys were very efficient with their help but unfortunately my spare tube had a fault and no one else had one wide enough to fit. So the ride leader gave me a lift home!! Talk about going above and beyond!
It's so long since I mended a puncture that I didn't seal the patch properly and I wasn't In the mood to start again, so I'll to fit it in today.

IMG_20151101_122913965.jpg
IMG_20151101_123405448.jpg

Riders, please forgive me. It has been too long since my last entry here. I lost a bit of mojo and took some time off.

Got back into it with an MTB ride last week, and today was looking like a lovely day until I went out the door. Then it was rather grey and foggy in the distance, but nice and warm. I just kept it simple and headed off to Talkin Tarn for a coffee and scone, aiming for 31 miles to keep the 50-per-month challenge on track.

It's a lovely place and I should come here more often TBH. The Autumn colours are beautiful.

22495799810_802307f15c_c.jpg

22683757215_7f13d442a0_c.jpg

31 miles it was. It's good to be back in the saddle. :smile:
Consider yourself forgiven....

postman

Legendary Member
Out again, early weather was not encouraging, so I believed the forecast. I decided on a different route out of Leeds towards Otley, and discovered that Meanwood Road is uphill all the way to Stonegate Road, which is uphill all the way to King Lane, and roadworks had closed King Lane with a mile and a half diversion to return to King Lane a hundred yards further on . . .
I was rewarded for my efforts towards the end of the road, I had forgotten the descent to the Wetherby - Otley road.

and I stopped further along for a cheese sandwich and a look at the hill I was soon to climb

View attachment 108490

From there ( the Pool to Otley stretch ) I took the main roads home to clock up 30 miles for the trip.

Oh just think,while you were riding up Stonegate Road,you passed the street of Postman.

Top Bottom