Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been following the forecast all week with anticipation as it looked very promising for getting the November Imperial Century in. However, waking early I looked out into a blanket of thick fog just like I did for last month's ride.:dry:

You did well! We've been fogged in since Saturday morning - has not lifted at all. No desire to get out in the clag and run the gauntlet of speeding tractors and flail mowers until it lifts.

Short ride to visit Mum and take in a couple of loops by the river

10.79 mi @ 18.4 mph with 250 feet climbed
Just enough to get the heart racing!

After strenuous October can be forgiven for easier November though have to keep riding and training up as I want to be yet better next year

https://www.strava.com/activities/425137595

Last edited:

Alex H

Legendary Member
:sun: here today - it wa only 12°C when I started out but slowly warmed up. Saillat-sur-Vienne came and went and I crossed the river on a bridge I've only discovered in the last month :ohmy:. We must have gone past the junction dozens of times, but I 'assumed' the road just went back to the bridge at Saillat.

PB020111.jpg

After that it was uphill to cross the new N141 - it's about 09:30 on a Monday morning and this is the traffic

PB020112.jpg

There is a car, but it's way in the distance :whistle:.

Onwards to Etagnac, where I had a rest on a bench, round the back of the chateau (they are very rare in France, benches not chateaus)

Here is the view I had :wacko:

PB020113.jpg

I suspect the bench was there due to the Resistance monument hiding to my left.

Next village was Saulgond, which is very old and has really narrow streets in the centre. This is the church

PB020115.jpg

A few more forested km away is Brigueuil, which is advertised as a fortified village. This was always a bit of a puzzle to me, as I've never seen any walls on the approach roads or even in the centre. However, if you bother to read the information panel in the main car park all is revealed :laugh:.

PB020116.jpg

The only part that is fortified is the area around the church and associated buildings. here is one of the 11th century gates, with the church inside.

PB020118.jpg

PB020120.jpg

Next stop was Montrollet, which we've been to many times - mainly due to the restaurant that is at the side of the lake in the centre of the village.This one is just outside the village.

PB020121.jpg

Spoilt for choice for benches here ^_^

PB020122.jpg

Had a snack here then crossed over to Oradour-sur-Glane via Javerdat. Starting to warm up now, but the wind is fairly strong and blowing with me :smile:

This is the church of the "new" village - a bit brutal for my taste.

PB020125.jpg

Back home via Saint-Brice-sur-Vienne and Saint-Martin-de-Jussac

72 km in 3 3/4 hrs - av. 19.26km/hr

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Another my ride yesterday. 123Km Blaby - Wigston - Newton Harcourt - Ingarsby - South Croxton - Marefield - Borough on the Hill - Somerby - Owston - Launde - Allexton - Eyebrook Reservoir - Drayton - Slawaston - Cranoe - Goadby - Ilston on the Hill -Carlton Curlieu - Kibworth Harcourt - Fleckney - Arnesby- Peatling Magna - Blaby . Started off in Hay sunshine but by the time I hit Newton Harcourt it was rather foggy. Fog was forecast but I hoped it'd be wrong - and wanted to get November's 100Km done - just in case the weather turns snowy/icy for the rest of the month. Glad I went out - by the time I hit Sommerby the sun was out and the weather was glorious! Fab ride!
Photo just outside of Sommerby...

IMG_20151101_095046.jpg

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Fog. In massive amounts. Oh joy. I had intended to ride to Sherburn in Elmet today, and refresh my memory of the area, but the fog sort of kiboshed that idea. So a second best 29 miles to Lotherton and back, Gt Wilson St, Hunslet Rd, Thwaite Gate, John o' Gaunts and through Oulton ( bit of a shortcut ), Swillington, Garforth, Lotherton Hall with the picture below, Aberford, Barwick, Scholes etcetera. The fog never really lifted, still enjoyed the ride though.
IMG_1068.jpg

Part of the formal garden at Lotherton.

And my bike.

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Out on my now usual Ipswich - Bucklesham - Kirton - Falkenham - Kirton - Bucklesham - Levenington - Nacton - Ipswich 20 mile get-the-heart-pumping ride today, I retained yesterday's possibly annoying habit of calling out 'good morning' to every other cyclist (and mean it) and not care one jot if they didn't reply. So, if you are @Saluki, and you're cycling over to meet Hubster and a mamil in blue (and no helmet) yells 'hi', wave back and wish Hubster the best from me. :okay:

gavgav

Guru
Cracking pictures @Gareth C, thanks for sharing!
@Rickshaw Phil I've been following your saddle woes on your 100 milers, hope you'll soon find your ideal set up.
Are you still not using padded shorts?
I've tried convincing him @Pat "5mph" but he's too stubborn :whistle:

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Fog. In massive amounts. Oh joy. I had intended to ride to Sherburn in Elmet today, and refresh my memory of the area, but the fog sort of kiboshed that idea. So a second best 29 miles to Lotherton and back, Gt Wilson St, Hunslet Rd, Thwaite Gate, John o' Gaunts and through Oulton ( bit of a shortcut ), Swillington, Garforth, Lotherton Hall with the picture below, Aberford, Barwick, Scholes etcetera. The fog never really lifted, still enjoyed the ride though. View attachment 108889

Part of the formal garden at Lotherton.

And my bike.
Having passed @postman's street before, on the ride to Lotherton you probably passed my workplace (Thwaite Gate)

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Been a cheery day today hasn't it? Foggy when I got up, foggy when i went to work, foggy when I came home and foggy when I went for a quick ride before tea.
And looking out of the window, I see it's still foggy...:dry:

Anyhow, far too wet for the road bike tonight, so I went out on the hybrid. Didn't use it for a month and now it's been out 3 times in a week. It was also ideal tonight, cos I can put loads of lights on it, unlike the road bike. :okay:
I don't think it was raining, it was just the vast amount of moisture in the fog that was giving that impression.

Quick spin out into the countryside at Manston via Cross Gates and then back via Pendas Fields. All on road.
Oddly the main front light (same model as the road bike) interferes with the wireless computer on the hybrid (same model as the road bike) on all but the lowest setting. Not sure what all that's about but never mind.

Anyway, the important stuff: 6.2 miles (or 10km, if you prefer) in a smidgeon over 29 minutes at an average of 13.6 mph. Quite pleased with that as I'm only a couple of mph faster on the road bike over that route.

Oh, and I wore my new fluoro leg warmers tonight for the first time under a pair of B'Twin 500 bib shorts. Legs were nice and warm and dry (and highly visible), but by heck my backside was a bit chilly for the first mile or so. :laugh:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Postscript from last Monday's Tour De Cochon. Regular readers may remember I drank more beer than is probably advisable during the course of a day's cycling around Suffolk and found myself crashing into hedges on the way back. And giggling. Well, the bruises have made themselves clear. :whistle:

Hedge.JPG

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Out on my now usual Ipswich - Bucklesham - Kirton - Falkenham - Kirton - Bucklesham - Levenington - Nacton - Ipswich 20 mile get-the-heart-pumping ride today, I retained yesterday's possibly annoying habit of calling out 'good morning' to every other cyclist (and mean it) and not care one jot if they didn't reply. So, if you are @Saluki, and you're cycling over to meet Hubster and a mamil in blue (and no helmet) yells 'hi', wave back and wish Hubster the best from me. :okay:
The Felixstowe to Hospital route is an evening jobby on Tues, Thurs and Sat nights. At night I'm in my council orange Night Vision and blue lid. Will definitely keep a look out.

I wanted to get out for a nice 30 miler, or so yesterday and today but fog has stopped play. Maybe tomorrow then.

Top Bottom