Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Short spin around Cambridge this morning for the first shake-down of the new/old single speeder;just set-up with a free-wheel at the mo while it gets dialled in.

https://www.strava.com/activities/430561836

Nothing too untoward,just had to raise the saddle a bit but there is the odd creak occuring which may be the old pedals and I've also remembered how annoying Crud roadracers can be:rolleyes:.

Still,pleased with the first run and I think the gearing is about right but I'll need some longer runs to make sure;only other tweak may be a bit longer stem.

Oh and steel is real smoooth:bicycle::becool:.

IMG_20151111_072748353.jpg

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
In search of a decent morning 20-25 mile virtual commute, I decided to experiment with Playford Road (a route out of Ipswich that takes you to Woodbridge). What I had not counted on was the huge number of real commuters using this as a rat-run. There are few places to pass (if you ride Primary, as I do, on the blind bends) and several groups of cars and vans hustled close-by when they thought they had the opportunity. None of the drivers seemed too irked, though. On the other hand, I encountered some guy from BT (Open Reach?) in his van at Bucklesham who thought driving towards me as I overtook a line of parked cars outside the school, riding in Primary, would scare/motivate me into pulling aside to save him two or three seconds.
I didn't. He had to brake.
May have to re-think this particular route to reduce possible conflict. ^_^

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Longest ride since June for me today, a princely 16 miles. Part shopping spree, and then a bit of a dash to make sure I was at a local War Memorial for 11 o'clock. Just gone beyond my target for the year, admittedly the lowest target I set myself, but all things considered quite pleased with that. Today was the 98th day I've cycled without a day off, away on a course the next 2 days so bike already in the car, I will ride the next 2 days even if it's only a mile each time!

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Just completed my first aimless night ride. I have ridden in the dark before but have only done it to get somewhere. Tonight was just a ride!

It was also my first ride in ages and ages. Probably months! I have fitted mudguards and lights and with the promise of good weather set off a ride I had been doing at a 17mph average.

The good points:
I got out there. The weight has been piling on and fitness has gone. This was the first step.
My new Volt 1200 light was very good. I only needed full beam on the very dark descents.
I saw a badger quite close up. I don't know which of us was more surprised.

The bad points:
Man, was I slow.
The roads are even worse at night.
My rear mudguard did it best to remove itself from the bike. I now have to try and bodge a new fitting.

The 25 miles felt a lot different in the dark!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride due to w*rk getting in the way....
After finishing my shift at 01:00, I was up at about 07:30 to ride over to a mate's house where five of us were planning a few miles around Pitsford and Harleston Firs. They were all off shift, so could play all day if they wanted, but poor old me had to be home by lunchtime :sad:

Never mind, we made good use of the time I had, and rode along Merry Tom Lane to Pitsford Res and did half a circuit before we went our separate ways, with them continuing the ride around the rest of the Res and onto the Firs. I, however, was tootling off home...

DSC_2846.jpg

Quick pic of the Marin on the way back..

I finished the ride on 27 miles before getting back and hosing the bike down, showering and grabbing some lunch before having to head off to w*rk. Again.... Booooo

https://www.strava.com/activities/430668801

:smile:

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Modified the route and the timing for today's virtual commute and headed from Ipswich to Bucklesham, Kirton, the Trimleys and Old Felixstowe. Just outside Ipswich, at some crossroads at Foxhall, I encountered a cyclist who had just taken a tumble on a corner (a combination of slimy leaves and an impatient BMW driver). After checking he and his bike were okay, and a general chit-chat about the perils of cycling at this time of year, he enquired as to where I was going. Finding the route was similar to what he had planned, he asked if he might tag along.
27 miles later, and after discussions that even included politics :ohmy:, it appears I now have a new cycling buddy. :okay:

Old jon

Guru
Just returned from a few days in Lincoln, so no cycling done for a while. Until this morning. My habitual 'lets see how far past Otley can I go.' The answer today was ' About a quarter mile past Weston.' where this sight blessed my eyes:-

IMG_1091.jpg

Okay, I added the bike. But the autumn leaves were quite wonderful.

So was my runaway cheese sandwich, which I ate after using the camera.
The return journey was a copy of the outbound, they totalled 31.5 miles. I have mentioned Cardigan Road in Leeds a few times, part of the ride down it is below.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Some flexibility meant I could choose when to go out for a ride today so with rain forecast for this afternoon I choose to go out this morning whilst it was still dry. One mile in & it starts to rain, now I don't mind cycling in it if I'm ready for it but I'd left my cap at home so it was off with the glasses & I carried on towards the south of the New Forest, which is the flatter side, past Beaulieu & down to the more agricultural lanes around Sowley Lake on pretty decent tarmac despite the farmers best efforts to leave mud everywhere.

The rain stopped as I headed back through East End & East Boldre to the forest & home via Lyndhurst & Ashurst for a damp but enjoyable 33 mile round trip which also meant I had completed my cyclinglog target of 5,500 miles with six weeks to spare! ^_^

https://www.strava.com/activities/431357106

003.JPG

004.JPG

Just completed my first aimless night ride. I have ridden in the dark before but have only done it to get somewhere. Tonight was just a ride!

It was also my first ride in ages and ages. Probably months! I have fitted mudguards and lights and with the promise of good weather set off a ride I had been doing at a 17mph average.

The good points:
I got out there. The weight has been piling on and fitness has gone. This was the first step.
My new Volt 1200 light was very good. I only needed full beam on the very dark descents.
I saw a badger quite close up. I don't know which of us was more surprised.

The bad points:
Man, was I slow.
The roads are even worse at night.
My rear mudguard did it best to remove itself from the bike. I now have to try and bodge a new fitting.

The 25 miles felt a lot different in the dark!
A step in the right direction! Keep it up

Saluki

World class procrastinator
https://www.strava.com/activities/431500562/segments/10378799249
Sausage shop and back. We have pork and sweet chilli sausages and some bacon and something else sausages. I can't remember what Hubster said they were. I'm sure he will like them anyway.
7.2 miles in half an hour or so. Going to meet Hubster from hospital in a bit. He's not off dialysis until half 10 so I'll take a toddle up there via Martlesham, I think. Depends. I might get carried away with my guitar and only go the direct route. It depends.

Saluki

https://www.strava.com/activities/431625497/segments/10381663584

Me again. Sorry, hogging the thread here. It was such a nice evening - 13 degrees, cloudy and a bit blowy but nothing to get excited about - so I thought I would meet Hubster from Dialysis as my fingers were getting a bit sore. I was going to go the direct route. I told him the direct route but I did, in the end, go the Martlesham route and only got a wee bit lost. I made the decision at the Sausage Shop, as I passed it in 4 minutes less than I got there in this morning. I knew it was going to be a great ride. So, where was I, ah - wee bit lost. Actually, it wasn't lost at all, it was just my GPS messing about. If I'd have kept going I'd have come out on Bixley Road, but I didn't know that.

I had a fabulous ride. Clear roads, low cloud but light-ish so good visibilty with my lights. I saw foxes, I think an owl it was gone nearly before I registered it. My legs were feeling really strong and I just had a brilliant time. I averaged 14.3 Smiles an hour tonight - which riding in the dark, on fairly unfamiliar roads and on cyclepaths where pedestrians can leap out at any time, is not too shoddy.
Bob on 16 miles in 1:07:18. I really like this route, it's fun.

Saluki

Some flexibility meant I could choose when to go out for a ride today so with rain forecast for this afternoon I choose to go out this morning whilst it was still dry. One mile in & it starts to rain, now I don't mind cycling in it if I'm ready for it but I'd left my cap at home so it was off with the glasses & I carried on towards the south of the New Forest, which is the flatter side, past Beaulieu & down to the more agricultural lanes around Sowley Lake on pretty decent tarmac despite the farmers best efforts to leave mud everywhere.

The rain stopped as I headed back through East End & East Boldre to the forest & home via Lyndhurst & Ashurst for a damp but enjoyable 33 mile round trip which also meant I had completed my cyclinglog target of 5,500 miles with six weeks to spare! ^_^

https://www.strava.com/activities/431357106

View attachment 109764
View attachment 109765
4th horse back is having a lovely roll on the verge ^_^

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
https://www.strava.com/activities/431625497/segments/10381663584

Me again. Sorry, hogging the thread here. It was such a nice evening - 13 degrees, cloudy and a bit blowy but nothing to get excited about - so I thought I would meet Hubster from Dialysis as my fingers were getting a bit sore. I was going to go the direct route. I told him the direct route but I did, in the end, go the Martlesham route and only got a wee bit lost. I made the decision at the Sausage Shop, as I passed it in 4 minutes less than I got there in this morning. I knew it was going to be a great ride. So, where was I, ah - wee bit lost. Actually, it wasn't lost at all, it was just my GPS messing about. If I'd have kept going I'd have come out on Bixley Road, but I didn't know that.

I had a fabulous ride. Clear roads, low cloud but light-ish so good visibilty with my lights. I saw foxes, I think an owl it was gone nearly before I registered it. My legs were feeling really strong and I just had a brilliant time. I averaged 14.3 Smiles an hour tonight - which riding in the dark, on fairly unfamiliar roads and on cyclepaths where pedestrians can leap out at any time, is not too shoddy.
Bob on 16 miles in 1:07:18. I really like this route, it's fun.
Forget Strava achievements.... All rides should now be judged on Sausage Shop timing!!
:okay:

Top Bottom