Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
You can get nikwax waterproofing stuff that you wash into your gloves/jackets etc in the washing machine. @SatNavSaysStraightOn used it and accidentally washed a couple of tea-towels in the proofing wash as well, if I remember rightly. I often wonder if she did hand the proofed tea-towel to her other half to see how he got on :smile:

Good idea. I won't throw them away.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Good idea. I won't throw them away.
Even if they don't re-proof well, they are worth hanging onto for cold, dry days. I have ex-waterproof gloves that are really toasty warm for such days then I keep the waterproof ones for days when there is a chance of rain.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
After a lovely, but messy, 4 and a bit mile ride with my 7 yr old Granddaughter along the Brampton Valley Way yesterday that she really enjoyed (I'm proud of her not moaning about the puddles and mucky leggings and coat!), I got the chance to get out for a longer ride today.

As the wind was blowing a hooley from the SSW, I headed SSW to get it over and done with, hoping for a tailwind(ish) for the ride back towards home. It kind of worked out like that, but, with the vagaries of wind, it was swirling around in all directions for most of the day. Good plan though!

Along the way, I rode a few miles with a chap out for some fresh air and a circuit of the town before I headed leftwards to the canal banks and under the M1 to Rothersthorpe Locks.

DSC_2825.JPG

Not as talkative as the previous person, but friendly enough, in a wiry sort of way..
When I set off again, I had to slow down behind a fellow on an MTB as the path was a bit narrow. As it widened to a pair of vehicle ruts, I pulled up alongside and said hello ( I do that, you know :hello:) and during the chat, discovered that he works for the Canal Board, and rides 15 miles every shift, checking the locks are OK and the many boats and barges are licensed etc. What a cracking job! Paid to ride a bike up and down the canals.. I could do that!
As expected, the canal banks were a bit muddy and slippery, especially with my Marathon Plus tyres. Still, all good handling practice.. Once I reached the Watson Lane bridge over the canal, I decided to get back on some tarmac as the banks deteriorate even more further on. I had not ridden the lanes in this area before and was enjoying the new vistas across open countryside as I was being blown from side to side on the narrow road. Still, cake beckoned at Salcey, once I'd found out exactly where I was, and got back onto roads I thought I knew. I did try a new bridleway to cut the corner of towards Blisworth, but either my navigation was wrong, or the farmer had ploughed over the track. I suspect the latter as the sign was pointing thataway. Backtracking by a mile, I was on a bike path alongside the A43 dual carriageway until I could turn off to more pleasant roads to cycle.

DSC_2833.JPG

Once into Salcey, I had a hunk of cake and a coffee to replenish the calories, and then did a 5 mile circuit of the forest that often isn't easy as it's a very popular place for kids and dogwalkers. Today, probably due to the weather, it was really quiet. For the first 3 miles, I saw more deer than people, two of which (deer) crossed over the trail about 50 feet in front of me. Some of the circuit was muddy and slippery where they've been doing some logging, but most was just mucky with care being needed on the corners.
Once out of Salcey, I aimed homewards across more open field roads and the plan worked, to a degree, and the fierce winds were not straight in my face, and occasionally gave me a boost..

Back home on 44 miles, windswept (and interesting) but warm & dry. I did have to give the bike a really good de-mud though..

https://www.strava.com/activities/429513216

:smile:

I'm knackered. 66 miles today in howling wid and rain.

Also found out that sportfuls NoRain bibtights are only light showerproof, the Castelli Trasperante is awesome in the wind and rain, especially with gore windproof arm warmers underneath, Castelli duluvio gloves are freezing when you put them on after the coffee stop but soon warm up and finally mudguards should be a legal requirements when riding in groups

My No-Rain bib-shorts are pretty good even on a really wet club ride once.

Anyway decided to commute in today and it was hard work:bicycle::heat:.

Full headwind virtually all the way in but hey it's good training right?:rolleyes::laugh::huh:

Not the swiftest ever ride in and I have bust the zip on my few month old Berghaus bag cramming it with provisions at Tesco:angry:.

https://www.strava.com/activities/429942809

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
What have they done with November? Three miles in and I realised I was hideously over-dressed and the wicking properties of my gear had given up the attempt to keep me dry.
The s-bends at Bucklesham provided their usual entertainment: once again, an on-coming vehicle decided to cut a blind corner that caused me to reach for the brakes. With the huge pile of leaves currently smeared to the road at this point, this manoeuvre is more instinctive than planned. Anyway, another 25 miles under the belt and a great way to start the day.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Days like today are golden and an opportunity which shouldn't be passed up. Went out for a short pootle, through Tatton Park where the deer were very docile

CIMG5721.JPG

Through Knutsford and just meandered through the lanes, admiring the fantastic cloud formations. Bagged a wood carving of a green man (@Katherine)

20151110_145044.jpg

Came across a rather gruesome sight, which seemed to be working as there were no live crows in sight

20151030_145329.jpg

A lovely way to spend an afternoon. Very warm for the time of year, I was dressed like this in June!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
https://www.strava.com/activities/430142370

H2H day again today. But this time in daylight as Hubster had to go early because he was having iron treatment to do something about his mild anemia. I asked he was going to go all red and gold and then be able to fly? I'd settle for just looking a bit like Robert Downey Jnr to be honest. Apparently, nothing like that happens.
Quite an eventful start to the trip, I went along Sea Road for a change and up the road to Lidl and then turned right to the hill I normally go up. As I was about to come off the roundabout, there was an old bloke in a car, driving towards me - this is on the roundabout. I stopped to avoid being hit and blocked his way. He honked his horn at me and I said something along the lines of "where the hell are you going, this is a ROUNDABOUT". He kept right on honking. I just sat there and blocked his way. Lots of people about. Some others joined me and they stood with me and wouldn't let numpty brains past. After a couple of mins there were a dozen folks there, so I said that I needed to get to Ipswich hospital and left them to it. He was gone by the time we drove past, some 4 hours later so I hope he reversed and went the correct way around. Dozy bugger! Had I thought about it, I should have leapt up on to his bonnet and got a new bike out of him, but I'm rather fond of Eric the CX.
I followed my normal route out of Felixstowe.and then headed up Innocence lane and managed to completely miss the Bucklesham turning as I was watching some birds in the sky, as well as looking where I was going.
I ended up at Martlesham. I could have headed for the roundabout over the A12 and gone in up Foxhall Road, but my cleat was stuck in my pedal. I've lost a screw, as I later discovered, so I knew I couldn't get off my bike and hoof it across. I found a cyclepath alongside the A12 and then followed the cyclepaths to Ipswich. As you can see, I had a bit of a navigational adventure where I stopped trusting my sense of direction and let my possessed Garmin, Christine, take the strain. I found my way back to Foxhall Road/Lane or whatever it's called and rode straight in to the hospital area. An hour late but I figured Hubster wasn't overly worried or he would have rung me up. My Bluetooth Aftershokz thing is linked to my phone so I'd have heard it ring.

16.17miles at 13mph on the CX. Great fun. Will explore that route some more as I really enjoyed it. I am really enjoying finding my way about, navigational adventures included.

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
Days like today are golden and an opportunity which shouldn't be passed up. Went out for a short pootle, through Tatton Park where the deer were very docile

View attachment 109573

Through Knutsford and just meandered through the lanes, admiring the fantastic cloud formations. Bagged a wood carving of a green man (@Katherine)

View attachment 109574

Came across a rather gruesome sight, which seemed to be working as there were no live crows in sight

View attachment 109576

A lovely way to spend an afternoon. Very warm for the time of year, I was dressed like this in June!

That Green Man is fantastic. Can you say which lane you saw it?

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
That Green Man is fantastic. Can you say which lane you saw it?
It's in Mobberley on Church Lane. If you go from Knutsford to Mobberley turn left onto Church Lane it's about 50 yards up on your left, the house is called Gorsey something. It's quite easy to miss as the face blends into the tree very well. If you carry on on that road, there's an owl on the right before a bend after half a mile and another owl on the left outside a house another mile after that, just before the rail bridge. And then there's mine at home in my back garden!!! His name is Tostig, he's guarding my patio doors.

20150928_161736.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Me and the Big Dummy took some stuff to the Oxfam charity shop then continued out of town to the council tip. The lads there were laughing, possibly at me rather than with me, when I turned up on it, but I don't give fig. Called in at the supermarket on the way back and did some shopping.

It is a ridiculous barge of a bike.

And I can't help grinning every time I ride it.

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
It's in Mobberley on Church Lane. If you go from Knutsford to Mobberley turn left onto Church Lane it's about 50 yards up on your left, the house is called Gorsey something. It's quite easy to miss as the face blends into the tree very well. If you carry on on that road, there's an owl on the right before a bend after half a mile and another owl on the left outside a house another mile after that, just before the rail bridge. And then there's mine at home in my back garden!!! His name is Tostig, he's guarding my patio doors.

View attachment 109578
Thanks, I'll make a note of that.

Katherine

Guru

View attachment 109578

https://www.strava.com/activities/429017102

Would you believe that I think I must have passed it and missed it on Sunday, on a social ride!!

Top Bottom