Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If all goes according to plan, I will be taking a bike up there again next autumn.
It'd be a shame to miss out on such an awesome ride because of that stretch. I'd recommend timing your ride so that you can either get the train between Dalmally or Lochawe and Taynuilt and just skip the majority of the awful stretch.

While the parts past Ben Cruachan are pretty, the A85 isn't a road I'll be riding again...

Went out with the local club, the Hounslow and district wheelers
Went through Windsor Great Park, Winkfield, Binfield and through Twyford to Hare Hatch where we had a stop. Refuelled by Latte and Bacon roll

Returned on a nice country route down Drift Road and through the Deer Park of WGP

Managed to lose a mile and a half due to finger problems with Garmin

All in all 45 miles at 15.5 mph

Nice relatively easy ride. Gloomy skies but not cold, though I was one of only two with shorts,.

https://www.strava.com/activities/428801231

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My 26th club ride of the year today, and we had a new girl along for her first ride, so it was all done at a very civilized pace. With all the rain we've had lately and all the crud on the minor roads, today's ride was basically a straight-there-and-back 37 mile ride along the A38 with a small loop at the furthest point. Near Lower Wick we hung a left and rode some lovely minor roads through the woods and up a surprisingly steep little hill on the way to Tortworth. I knew it was coming, because it had come as a horrible surprise to everyone on an audax I did earlier in the year. Still came as a bit of a shock, though.

Great café stop at the top of the hill in Tortworth, and a welcome following wind all the way back for the last 16 miles or so. Volunteered to go "Tail-end Charlie" and stayed at the back towards the end to help the new girl round. (I have long since learned the unwisdom of loudly announcing "I'll take up the rear" when riding in a group!) Would have been a great little social ride if it wasn't for mishaps. One rider showed remarkable self control when enduring three punctures on the same rear wheel on the outward leg. Despite half the club (me included) feeling the rim and the tyre each time for anything sharp, it was only when he felt the added social pressure of having to borrow a third replacement tube that he finally discovered the offending piece of glass. I have to say it was a remarkably small piece, and never looked anything like big enough to get through any tyre, let alone a new "Victoria Pave"(?) that was supposed to be puncture resistant. This sort of thing always makes me so glad I use Slime inner tubes.

Back on the Kingsway Estate, we said our goodbyes and I set off home ... only to come across a clubmate (who left less than a minute before me) slumped at the side of the road, groaning in pain. He had taken quite a nasty fall as the front wheel just went from under him without any apparent reason. Couldn't see any wet leaves or oil on the road, and no potholes. He was a little bloodied and his kit was in bad shape and there was a big scuff on the side of his helmet where his head had hit the kerb. Don't care how much slagging I get for upsetting the anti-helmet brigade, but I reckon his helmet saved him from a serious head injury today. I stayed with him until the shock wore off, and got his bike out of the road and straightened his bars for him. Really glad to see he was able to get back on. I rode along with him for a while and offered to stay with him 'til he got home, or to fetch my car to get him and his bike home, but he declined all further offers of help. Great to see he was OK(ish), but I bet he'll be sore for a few days. A sad end to the ride. Take care out there, everyone.
Donger.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Complete change of plans .Due to rubbish weather forecast me and some fellow ccers bailed out of the Cheshire safari audax .100 miles in predicted weather was not appealing. So up a bit later than expected got the bike out up stairs got changed come down and its :rain: raining .so sit about for a bit and it stops so off I go expecting to wet at some stage. Headed in different direction and some new roads . Headed north west and area I don't ride much for some reason .So Newtown Linford ,Markfield ,Thornton ,Bagworth ,Odstone ,Newton Burgoland, Snarestone were I made my first turn into the headwind ( brutal) so kept dog legging to avoid the wind as best I could then heading for Orton on the hill I had a mile of vicious crosswind on a exposed road (really noticed the wind with the lighter carbon bike) . then I found the hill on which Orton is on a short steep climb the ride is slowly turning into an ordeal . On to Sheepy Parva , Sibson, Shenton ,Stapleford into Barwell thanks to a navigation error found a route to Kirby Mallory, Peckleton ,Desford ,Ratby ,Groby and Home 53 miles on the clock at 15mph which I was surprised with considering the headwinds I was crawling into .but as I did a loop also had some tailwinds were I was flying. Managed to get round without getting wet :rolleyes: . Think it was the right decision to bail out off the 100 mile the winds would have been brutal on the flatlands outside Cheadle respect to anyone who did it . Off to wash the bike its filthy then :cuppa: tea and cake ^_^

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A short 14 miles today on the tandem. It was a local loop to Bourn, but was originally set to be the Gransdens, the slacker of a stoker had made an appearance at the gym on Friday night for the first time in 8 weeks..... "Ooooh, me thighs are burning!" She cried so we shortened the ride. I'm also feeling it this week as evil Matt was running metcon on Wednesday night and you need a week to recover from that!
As an addition we also went to Morrisons to get some bits so that we could try out our new rear Ortlieb panniers. Didn't notice the extra weight, maybe we didn't buy enough!

https://www.strava.com/activities/428861518

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It'd be a shame to miss out on such an awesome ride because of that stretch. I'd recommend timing your ride so that you can either get the train between Dalmally or Lochawe and Taynuilt and just skip the majority of the awful stretch.

While the parts past Ben Cruachan are pretty, the A85 isn't a road I'll be riding again...
That's an idea, because you have definitely put me off cycling on the A85! :okay:

Once when I was young, we were driving back along the A85 after our long Scottish summer holiday and found that the road along the side of Loch Awe was being rebuilt. There was a temporary metal road on cantilevers overhanging the loch while the actual road was being upgraded. It was a bit dodgy driving along there in a car so I think heavy vehicles must have been diverted at that time. I felt very nervous when my dad told me that the loch was incredibly deep - I had visions of us crashing into the water and disappearing down into the depths, never to be seen again!

Confession time,not been out for five weeks.lost motivation.
Easy trap to fall into. Once the motivation goes it's difficult to get back. In my experience, the best way to get out of it, if you're physically capable (rather than "I can't be bothered"), is to just go out.
You won't enjoy it at all at first, it will seem pointless, but after a few miles you'll start to remember why you do it.

Diggs

Veteran
So it happened, yesterday the winter bike came out. I also made the mistake of comparing the weight to the carbon fibre one. So felt good to get a few PBs on a fairly regular route.
Forecast suggested heavy rain all morning so I was somewhat over prepared. We had one heavy shower for about five minutes but lots of spray. With hindsight I'd have gone for a Gilet and winter jersey but hey, you never can tell.
Anyway - time to "Belgian T F U" (As some folk say)
btfu.jpg

Levo-Lon

Guru
Had a few hrs superb mud fest mtb today..the new tyre combo worked better than expected " trail king rear hans damph front" ,i made it up every rooty leafy climb today without a single clip out ..washed the bike and had a moto GP afternoon..few beers and Cumberland pie for tea.. perfect

Top Bottom