Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's beautiful sunny Autumn out there - grab it before the winter wind and rain sets in!

Not had a really nice day here for a week really,yesterday was really wet and windy.

Anyway got out with the better half again today,still a bit windy and pretty wet and greasy roads but we had a good ride anyway;

https://www.strava.com/activities/428809620

Garmin and sensors was on Vals Avail and she also had the hrm on just to see what her heart rate was.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Confession time,not been out for five weeks.lost motivation.
Happens to the best of us. Just wait until you fancy a ride and discover the fun anew. No point putting yourself under any pressure about it.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Had a quick local 10k on the hybrid on Wednesday after work. A combination of late finishes at work, horrendous traffic on the way home (at least partly thanks to the idiotic piecemeal way the CSH is being constructed) and rubbish weather conspired to block any further midweek rides.

Got up early(ish) this morning to take advantage of a gap in the weather before the rain arrived and to get home for the Remembrance service on the telly at 10.30...
Thorner, back route to Bramham, Town Hill, out on Toulston Lane towards Tadcaster, then cut across the A64 bridge and down to Stutton, passing two very chatty ladies on horseback. Went straight through the village today, avoiding my usual detour and then out to the A162 and up to Towton.
Took the right past the battlefield and down towards Saxton.
It had been getting increasingly gloomy for a little while and the heavens opened with some force as I descended the hill into Saxton village - some of those raindrops hurt!
Through the village and out onto a very quiet Copley Lane, still marveling at the seasonal weather and the fact that my "waterproof" jacket and bib tights seemed to have given up the fight against the elements. :rain: When I got to Lotherton Hall, there were cones out and signs up saying that the road I'd just come down was closed, but there had been nothing the way I'd come...explains the lack of traffic though!
Through Aberford, took it steady down Cattle Lane (lots of fallen leaves and standing water), before the slog up to Barwick from the bridge.
Through Barwick and out to Scholes, then down Leeds Road where I received my only really close pass of the day - from a car with a road bike on a rack on the tailgate, who I'd politely suggest should know better. :dry:
Round and up to home with the rain ceasing about half a mile from my door.
Cold and wet, but pleased to have got a decent ride in despite the weather

26.41 miles in 1 hr 47m at 14.8 mph and 1175ft climbed. That'll do me - would probably have been a bit quicker if it wasn't for the road conditions, but it's that time of year isn't it?

On a positive note, there were a good number of cyclists about today despite the weather, including a bit of a peleton between Saxton and Towton.
No pics as I didn't stop anywhere today.
08112015.jpg

Saluki

https://www.strava.com/activities/429014228

Today I decided to ride towards the hospital at Ipswich, via Newbourne & Waldingfield, then Little Bealings just to see what it looks like in daylight. I managed to poke Hubster out of bed about 1pm and get him to help me walk the hounds first. He's just gone off back to bed, having been up a whole 4 3/4 hours. He'll stay there now until 10 or 11 tomorrow morning.

Newbourne is a nice village. All those glasshouses everywhere. I saw a programme on TV with Penelope Keith about Newbourne and people being relocated there from Newcastle way to grow things and work on the land. Very interesting to see all the old glasshouses. Some in use, some not with quite a spooky feel. I'll take a camera up there soon as an iPhone is just not good enough. I stopped a few times to look at things and to make sure Hubster wasn't knackered already. Waldringfiled is pretty in the daylight too. Again, I need to take a camera out.
NewbourneGlasshouse_zpseleoi0op.jpg
By Little Bealings, Hubster was really flagging and we stopped at the top of a hill on a bridge over the A12 and watched the traffic for a while. I said to hime we had about 35 minutes of proper light left and I wanted to be on the other side of Ipswich and on cyclepaths by then so could we get a wiggle on.

We rode into the outskirts of Ipswich and then down to the horrible roundabout. I have no idea how he slows down - without touching his brakes he says - going downhill. Surely Newton would have something to say about that one. He went from 14 mph to 8mph coasting downhill. I think he does it to wind me up. We rode out past Sainsbury's as its the most direct route home. I rode with him until we were about 4 miles out. By then he had dropped to about 6mph and I just cannot ride that slowly in any sort of comfort (unless it's uphill). As that last 4 miles is downhill and he was riding that slowly, I buggered off home and left him to it. I got in about 20 minutes before he did. I know it sounds harsh but I was getting cold due to riding so slowly and I have osteoarthritis so I really don't like to let my knees get too cold as it messes me up for a couple of days afterwards. As I can't have anti-imflamatories I need to be vaguely sensible about it.
26.36 in 2 hours and 9 mins. On roadies.
I am 14% over my original 2000 miles this year target. I have made a new target of 2500 and I am 100 miles up on the attempt so pleased with that. Hoping to ride tomorrow. I'll go alone.

Last edited:

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I'm knackered. 66 miles today in howling wid and rain.

Also found out that sportfuls NoRain bibtights are only light showerproof, the Castelli Trasperante is awesome in the wind and rain, especially with gore windproof arm warmers underneath, Castelli duluvio gloves are freezing when you put them on after the coffee stop but soon warm up and finally mudguards should be a legal requirements when riding in groups

toffee

Guru
Did the same route as last Sunday, as we didn't have much time due to setting off late because of the weather. Should have been around 40 miles if we had stuck to the original ride plan. Let hope next weekend is better than this one. Got a shock when a cyclist came up behind me and said "We must be mad going out in this". Didn't hear him till he spoke, nearly fell off my bike
upload_2015-11-1_22-0-42-png.108828.png

Not many people out this morning

Derek

Katherine

Guru
Discovered that my waterproof gloves aren't waterproof at all any more. Glad I found that out while it wasn't cold. Another enjoyable 50 miler today. A wet start and a drenching at the end, but a lovely dry Autumn ride around the Cheshire lanes with the Chorlton Wanderers in between. Fantastic lunch at the Egerton Arms in Chelford (sausage festival). Headwind out, tail wind on the return.

Saluki

Discovered that my waterproof gloves aren't waterproof at all any more. Glad I found that out while it wasn't cold. Another enjoyable 50 miler today. A wet start and a drenching at the end, but a lovely dry Autumn ride around the Cheshire lanes with the Chorlton Wanderers in between. Fantastic lunch at the Egerton Arms in Chelford (sausage festival). Headwind out, tail wind on the return.
I have found my Sealskinz to be very good in the waterproof department. That said, they did let go about 4 miles from home on a very slow 50 mile Cycletta (I was slow, not my riding companions. My knee was making a big fuss that day). I would certainly buy another pair.

Spartak