Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
My ride yesterday - windy, done on a hybrid but I've done the 100km every month challenge.
101Km Blaby - Willoughby Waterleys - Ashby Magna - Leire - Ashby Parva - Bitteswell - Lutterworth - Gilmorton - Walcote - South Kilworth - Stanford on Avon - Cold Ashby - Thornby - Naseby - Cottesbroke - Haselbech - Clipston - Marston Trussel - Theddingworth - Laughton - Gumley - Saddington - Arnesby - Peatling Magna - Countesthorpe - Blaby. Windy, hard work on a hybrid, chucked it down 5 mins after arriving home. I was rather exhausted but glad to have done December's 100Km - in spite of the wind!!

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Another warm night ride. I actually had to unzip my jacket and short sleeve top to let some heat out on the climb; good job it was dark!

It did seem dark tonight without much of a moon. It made the climb up past the White Ladies Priory atmospheric and calming. I sometimes like to think of the people who shared our space albeit in a different time.

That is now 90 odd miles I wouldn't have ridden if I hadn't decided to buy lights and get out there and give it a go. I was a bit quicker tonight and actually came very close to beating the smug git on my Garmin.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Went out today with the intention of trying out a new cafe which I spotted the last time out.
Headed out to Whitegate and joined the Weaver Way near Davenham, just under this bridge.
CIMG5735.JPG

Stayed on the Weaver Way, it's a nice ride along the bankside with good opportunities for spotting wildlife. Saw a heron and was going to take a pic but there was a guy there setting up a huge lens so thought it best not to stop in case I scared it off for him. Skirted round Winsford and hooked up onto the Whitegate Way. The sun was hitting the silver birches very well.
CIMG5736.JPG

Then to the point of the ride, the Station cafe on the Whitegate Way. Good selection of cakes (I had ginger cake, very nice) and it's run by volunteers who were all very jolly. It's in the old station house and is sweet.
CIMG5737.JPG

On the way back went through the Vale Royal Golf Club which has the most magnificent club house I've ever seen (not that I'm any great afficionado). Was originally an abbey, but Cromwell pulled it down and gave it to one of his mates, who rebuilt a stately home and his family lived there for ages. It was re-developed in 1995 to the current golf club. Dread to think what the fees are.
CIMG5738.JPG

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Pleasant ride yesterday morning, with no wind or rain to cope with. I was a tad overdressed and got quite hot and sweaty by the time I was a few miles in! I should have gone for shorts and a lighter jacket.. Still, better that that getting too cold, I reckon.
I decided to stick to tarmacked roads as most of the off-road routes are quite muddy, with several being unrideable by the looks of it as I rode past!

My route was via Cogenhoe, Whiston to Easton Maudit, then Bozeat, Podington and up Hardwick Road to Earls Barton where I stopped for a cuppa and a bit of shortbread.

DSC_2888.JPG

One of the narrower short-cuts near Hinwick House.

DSC_2896.JPG

Some festive refreshments at my favourite local farm shop, Scotch Lodge, in Earls Barton.

DSC_2893.JPG

They had a 'taster session' on Sunday and laid out a few goodies for me to try. That Scotch Bonnet dip was fiery!!! :evil:

As I had to be home for baby sitting duties, I headed home via the A4500, past the Worlds End pub. It's not a stretch of road I like, but it's the most direct. I usually ride from there via Sywell Reservoir and Overstone, but didn't have the time unfortunately.

Back home on 25 miles with only a light wipe of the bike with a GT85y duster.

https://www.strava.com/activities/445951763

:smile:

Old jon

Guru
I was not clever enough to look at a map this morning, must do better. Aimed in the Otley direction and intended to take the old road by the airport, but was distracted by something or another and took the main road all the way. Crossed the river in Otley and up Billams Hill to Weston Lane thinking I might reach Denton Bridge but felt hungry at Askwith, so there I stopped to munch.

IMG_1127.jpg

And enjoy the calm of a peaceful village

IMG_1128.jpg

Askwith has only one road I can use to get home, 32.8 miles after I started, I was back again. Enjoyable.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I packed them in today: three rides!

1. Over to the other side of Ipswich on #3 Pasty The Hybrid, for a chat with a union rep regarding the possibility of me becoming a health and safety rep for where I work. (8.8. miles - missed the rain.) :thumbsup:

2. A quick blast of 10 miles out to Levington on #2 Patsy Le Tour De Cochon steed to assuage the anger that I need to even think about doing the above. :blink:

3. An afternoon rush-hour 1.5 miles on #3 Patsy The Hybrid to do the weekly task that might actually make me qualified to the above on behalf of my union. :smile:

Even after dinner, I am still rather hungry ... The solution to all may be beer. :cheers:

albion

Guru
Having not cycled for over 12 months apart from a New Year jaunt I had been trying to muster the motivation to get going again now that my planned 12 month sabatical had passed. Last night, a concerned call left me needing to get to Chilton, Ferryhill to check on a relative.

The weather today was near perfect, fresh and no real headwind, plus on arrival the problem was the desired outcome, it simply being a failed phone line.
40 mies in total, done at a slow enough pace to survive my lower fitness and the Great North Road(A167) hills.

Last edited:

Postmanhat

Not sure if it's stupidity or avoiding bad news. But I always assume the weather where I'm headed will be broadly the same as it is in Derby. Blithely forgetting that 1000 feet higher and only 20 miles north, it can be very different. By the time I'd reached Elton, it was VERY windy and the rain showers were becoming more frequent. So a couple of quick snaps before I became unhappily cold. One of those places that has a board explaining what you're looking at :smile:

IMG_0105_zpss9nit3ut.jpg

IMG_0108_zpss20uuvwv.jpg

Turning home into the wind, headed for a new climb to warm up
https://www.strava.com/segments/618596
Would have been a cracker with unfolding views and broad curves. But the road surface was abysmal. Down towards Carsington, then through Kirk Ireton to find this blocking the way to Derby. I was always a disappointment to my Geography teacher, but I'm fairly sure that's a low front?
IMG_0110_zpsfrqrwu7b.jpg

It left just enough for the low winter sun to beam through, so for the next three miles, I was being blinded, buffeted and bedraggled. The roads were a pigsty too, cheers farmers. Will definitely be returning though as it's my favourite type of country lane - quiet, constantly up and down, no sharp bends. Back in Derby, it was warm with a light breeze, as predicted.

Lots of mechanical problems becoming apparent. So a few evenings fettling in order if the bike and I are to have a unfrosty winter. 42 miles/3000ft. Felt more like 60!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
https://www.strava.com/activities/446898650/segments/10742708893

Usual night ride to the Hospital to collect Hubster from dialysis.
I thought that I would brave going around the roundabout, near the Sausage Shop and then over the big roundabout after it to Kirton tonight. I normally dogleg though and go over the footbridge to Kirton but, it was night and very quiet, traffic wise so thought I'd give it a go. It was fine, not so sure I'd want to go around it at rush hour though.
From there I headed off up Innocence Lane to the Bucklesham turning, along to Straight Road and then along it to the Felixstowe Road. I followed the cyclepath down - except I had to go around the lorry that was totally blocking the cycle path near Sainsbury's (Thanks mate - that's a busy road you forced me out into). I stopped at the roundabout to take a pic of the wooden animals with their Christmas hats and scarves on, but the flash on my iPhone is a bit pants nowadays. I'll take a pic in daylight - hopefully tomorrow.

I rode off to the hospital then. I found I was early so I went up and down the cyclepath at the side of it, to see where it went. Then rode past the dialysis unit, through more of the hospital complex to see where it came out. It came out at a busy roundabout. I'll explore further another evening, I think.
14.74 miles in an hour and 4 mins or so. Had fun.

Eric the CX is making a funny noise from his BB. I've given it a wiggle and it's pretty solid, so reckon that there is some muck stuck. He needs a clean and he will get one in the morning. It was a bit muddy out there, in parts tonight, and he is now filthy.
I have 21.33 miles to my 2500 mile target. The original target of 2000 was achieved a bit back now.

Old jon

Guru
A near repeat of a route I did last month, but I cut a couple of corners ( and three miles ) off the distance. Towpath to Viaduct Road, Cardigan Road, Otley Road as far as Creskeld Lane in Bramhope, turn right to point to Arthington. The road surface on the descent does not inspire confidence, but I did survive. Turn right on the A 659 towards the bottom of Harewood Bank, left to cross the River Wharfe and along to the right turn leading to Kirkby Overblow, Sicklinghall, Wetherby, Linton, Collingham and home. 35.5 rather windy miles covered.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
A slightly chillier morning with a touch of frost but less wind meant ideal conditions for a trip down to the Costa del Solent on the southern most reaches of the New Forest today.

The first port of call was Beaulieu, where I stopped for pictures & a nice chat with an elderly gent who was feeding the swans & seemed to know a fair bit about the particular family who I think I have photographed before when the youngsters were still brown & fluffy. Next up it was along the tree lined roads of Exbury (famous for the azaleas & rhododendrons of Exbury gardens in spring) & down to Lepe beach with views across the Solent to the Isle of Wight & a fresh coastal breeze blowing.

The return journey, via Langley, Blackfield, Beaulieu & the forest again made it a very pleasant 32 mile round trip.

https://www.strava.com/activities/447138455

002.JPG

003.JPG

007.JPG

Having only had a very short turbo session and another short ride since Friday, needed to make it a bigger one today.
Wanted an (imperial) half century so planned a bit hilly route but without the major Surrey Hils

So headed following the river to Hampton Court (memories of Bradley Wiggins came back to me), crossed the bridge and turned right towards Esher, and through there and through Cobham to Clandon. After that turned off through Merrow Burpham and Jacob's Well, continuing throughChobham to Sunningdale and doing a bit of a wiggle around Egham

Good ride, bit cold at the start, and a little wind

When I got home discovered my brake was rubbiing (don't you hate that), they are not srpinging fully open, either some grit/dirt in the brakes or cable wear.

51.98 miles @ 15.1 mph, maybe slowed a bit by the brake rub. Also not going too hard.
Feet climbed 1732

https://www.strava.com/activities/447165542

Edit p.s. Eddington Number up to 49

Last edited:
Top Bottom