Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

Yesterday I was out for a shorty to get a few supplies in (shopping). I found a finger post washed up where it should not be. It mentioned "Catholic Lonning" Do any Carlisle people honestly know where it is? And don't cheat and Google it like I had to do.
Catholic Lonning runs from the corner of Strand Road/Lismore place down towards the Eden and the Memorial Bridge.. I think

Where did you find it?

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Then discovered I needed bigger shoes for the extra togs, so went and bought them, complete with :=

View attachment 112747

I cannot recall ever needing or receiving a manual for a pair of shoes. The world moves on.
I'm dying to know what's in the owner's manual. Perhaps a diagram with "Left", "Right" and a couple of arrows?

Hyslop

Veteran
I rather think youre right-part of Trinity School cross country run-of blessed memory!I have very clear memories of slogging through the quagmire that was the lonning before crossing the suspension bridge and onto the sunny uplands of the park,followed by Joe Roe on a bike!Mind you,I don't think it was known as Catholic Lonning prior to the buliding of Newman School,as the generations prior to mine called it simply "The Lonning".

Saluki

World class procrastinator
https://www.strava.com/activities/450262254
2 rides today. Firstly, the one above where I rode from home to SW, via a loop that I was sitting 3rd on Strava for. I last did it in 50 mins and change. 3rd of 3 women is no great shakes so I thought I would try and knock 5 minutes off. I knocked 12 off, so QOM for me. :dance::dance::wahhey::dance::dance: It doesn't happen very often so I've gone a bit bonkers with the smileys.

I have a knocking on Eric's BB, I think it needs replacing. How hard can it be. I have youtube and a big book of bike fixing. I need to service those gears too. They were a bit jumpy tonight.
After SW, I rode home. Wanting to make it up to over 4 miles, I rode along the prom with a view to coming off at the twin cafes (closed at this time of night) and back by road. There is a lot of sand at the turning for the cafe's so coming off was the optimum phrase there. Nothing gripped, even my lovely knobbly tyres, ho hum, we hit the deck. I managed to not brain myself on the lampost, nor did I bash Eric into the lampost.

All in all, 19.08 miles across both rides, in 1:20:44 or so. Averaging about 14mph ish ish. I have a sore knee and I won the raffle at SW. The leader lady is bringing it along tomorrow evening as there wasn't room on the bike really. I am 10 miles over my 2500 annual target with 2 weeks and 3 days to go. Or 510 over my original target, depending on how you look at it. I wonder what I can do in the coming couple of weeks. Weather forercast checking, I think.

Finally got out after around 3 weeks of virtually non-stop crap weather.

Only 3 rides in 6 weeks so it felt like my tyres were filled with lead.

30.43 miles at 11.9 mph av' (vs my 'usual' 13.4-ish for this route) and 2541' ascent.

I knew I was going slow as I have my Garmin set to beep every 10 minutes and I use this to (casually not obsessively) keep an eye on how I am doing. I usually get bored of this after the 20 minute beep! Anyway I was 2 mins 21 secs 'down' on the point at which I'd usually expect the 10 minute beep to go off.

As the saying goes 'sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes he eats you(or bar if you are the Dude):smile:

Today was one of those days and the man with the hammer was trailing me all the way in today plus the HRM decided to play up and I overdressed:rolleyes:.

Dunno if it's just me but it seemed really.really dark this morning:blink:;although I think the shortest day is due soon which probably explains it.

Anyhoo another 40 odd kms to add to the years total;

https://www.strava.com/activities/450444108

Old jon

Guru
I'm dying to know what's in the owner's manual. Perhaps a diagram with "Left", "Right" and a couple of arrows?

I had plans to photograph every page, and every diagram, in every language . . .

Yup, you got it right.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
With rain forecast for this afternoon I thought I'd have a morning ride today to avoid it...........wrong, within 5 minutes of getting out & as soon as I had hit the New Forest I started to feel the fine drizzle on my face & the roads & fields ahead were shrouded in mist & murk!

Undeterred & forever hopeful that it may be a passing shower I carried on through Colbury to the Ipley junction where, as the fine drizzle had become fine rain, I decided to slightly shorten my proposed route & head up past Beaulieu Road station to Lyndhurst to further access the situation as its only 5 miles from home & I could just turn back.

However, although wet I did have my cap keeping my glasses dry(ish) & lights & mudguards on the bike I so did a loop around Lyndhurst & up to Copythorne & Tatchbury before taking in Winsor & Woodlands for home.

Only 26 miles & I've had to ring my gloves out & bring my cap, helmet & boots indoors to dry rather than leave them in the garage but it has brought up the 6,000 miles for the year which thankfully have mostly been dryer than than todays ride!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/450507774

Just the one picture today which gives an idea as to why I didn't want to stop to take more. :rain:

001.JPG

With rain forecast for this afternoon I thought I'd have a morning ride today to avoid it...........wrong, within 5 minutes of getting out & as soon as I had hit the New Forest I started to feel the fine drizzle on my face & the roads & fields ahead were shrouded in mist & murk!

Undeterred & forever hopeful that it may be a passing shower I carried on through Colbury to the Ipley junction where, as the fine drizzle had become fine rain, I decided to slightly shorten my proposed route & head up past Beaulieu Road station to Lyndhurst to further access the situation as its only 5 miles from home & I could just turn back.

However, although wet I did have my cap keeping my glasses dry(ish) & lights & mudguards on the bike I so did a loop around Lyndhurst & up to Copythorne & Tatchbury before taking in Winsor & Woodlands for home.

Only 26 miles & I've had to ring my gloves out & bring my cap, helmet & boots indoors to dry rather than leave them in the garage but it has brought up the 6,000 miles for the year which thankfully have mostly been dryer than than todays ride!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/450507774

Just the one picture today which gives an idea as to why I didn't want to stop to take more. :rain:

View attachment 112812
Well done for getting out @Goonerobes
I'm hoping for a ride tomorrow and Friday, better than the trainer, and I have replaced fornt brake so far - rear to be done when time.
(The whole brake - special offer on Ultegra brake set replacing my old Tektro's)

Old jon

Guru
Can you hear me squelch as I type this ? Thought not, 28.1 miles this morning out in the fog and the torrential stuff, all the clothing felt wet but I was dry underneath. Marvellous, this modern rainwear. Mind you, its all on a rack over the bath drying out. Chuffed I went out for the ride, although the scenery did not excite, it was for the exercise and oddly enough, the fun.

So, thick mist this morning, and the forecast said more of it for the rest of the day. At times it was thick enough to swim in. As above, no landscape to be seen so it mattered little where I went. I rode an interesting drop into Wharfedale last Wednesday, but the video didn't work then. Now I think it does. Viaduct Road via the towpath, Cardigan Road, and the A 660 out to Bramhope then turn right onto Creskeld Lane

Which ends at the A 659 Otley to the bottom of Harewood bank road. I turned left for Otley, sandwich stop there and I predictably took the main road back home. As I crossed the motorway bridge on Dewsbury Road the rain stopped.

Top Bottom