Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mr steveindenmark sir i subscribe to your way of thinking ....

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
This was my 30th club ride of the year, and also something of a landmark. Even up to the last minute I wasn't sure whether I was going or not, due to a stiff neck. Given that we are running out of days in December though, I decided to get in a club ride and see if, by any chance, I could extend it into a 100km job to finish the Metric Century a Month Challenge. Miracle of miracles, job done!

There were only two of us on the relaxed ride today, just me and Lisa. It was a forty-something mile, very chatty ride over to Eastnor Castle near Ledbury, then up to the foothills of the Malverns and back to Gloucester via Staunton. Wore my shorts, for possibly the last time this year, and it was cold ... and damp. Came across two quite big floods, but not very deep ones, and we made it through OK. Actually had a nearly dry run through one of them as I slipstreamed a car that was doing a good impression of the parting of the Red Sea. Then hit a ford in the aptly named "Clenching Mill Lane". One look at the torrent sweeping through it and I certainly clenched. We picked our way over a narrow concrete ledge of a bridge at the side of the ford, and then began a slowish trudge back home via the Malverns, which remained invisible in the low cloud.

Once back at Kingsway, I found myself almost exactly 20 miles short of a metric century. With only 18 days left in the year, I asked myself whether I would ever get a better chance to complete a 100km ride. Although nackered and aching by now, it was a no-brainer, and I set off down the A38 to Slimbridge, not wanting to have wasted the last eleven months worth of effort. Lacking the mathematical skill of Carol Vorderman, I chose a turning back point a good mile or so beyond where I could actually have turned, and slogged my way home via the lanes between Frampton on Severn and Gloucester. Once nearly home, I made the mistake of taking the lane through Stonebench, along the banks of the Severn, which had recently broken its banks - Another big flood to pick my way through. My Ridgeback is now filthy.

After hoovering up a big bowl of soup and taking a long, hot bath, I can now look back on this challenge as being one of the best things I have ever done. I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who is tempted to try it out next year. The nature of the challenge means getting out there in all kinds of weather, battling against ailments, and juggling your social calendar but, take it from me, it is well worth it all for the feeling of personal satisfaction it gives you. If only my old PE teacher could see me now. I went on the bodymass index thread the other day, and came out with the worst result possible, being (apparently) most like someone from Micronesia. Think I may just have just debunked this BMI business a little bit this year, what with climbing Alps and completing the Metric Century a Month Challenge.

Final mileage today: 64.2.

Cheers, Donger.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
67 degrees?! That sounds remarkably warm for your part of the world in December. I'd imagine Illinois would normally be knee deep in snow by now!
(Mind you they're predicting 60 degrees here next week so it's a funny old winter over here too.)
We already had three inches of snow a week or two ago, we've had 50's and 60's this week, but 50's to-morrow, 40's by Wednesday, and 30's by Thursday. Rain today, as well.

Solo ride after the other half decided it was too wet to venture out.

Basically either rain or drizzle all the way although at least the wind was not so strong;not many bods about and had to brake hard once as a yummy mummy pulled out in front of me at Fordham(it's no good saying sorry after you've pulled out:rolleyes:).

Like yesterday strangely felt a perverse pleasure in the rain helped by the Sportful No Rain Finder jersey.

53k to total 246 for the week;will see if I can keep this up until the end of the year for the 10,000k goal.

https://www.strava.com/dashboard?feed_type=my_activity

Katherine

Guru
Well there were lots of cyclists out today, and all in good spirits, so everyone must have been taking advantage of a break from the heavy rain, even though it was drizzling for most of the day here, so I was dripping wet by the time I got home. I was toasty warm in many layers, gloves held out reasonably well and feet a bit soggy (We came round a corner to be confronted by a ford that wasn't meant to be there, we rode through it, but we all got wet feet as it was too long and deep to freewheel.)

Feeling chuffed that I have completed the half century a month challenge for 2015. :hyper:

It was the Chorlton Wanderers ride to Lymm. The roads, lanes and paths were wet, muddy and puddly. Lunch at the Barn Owl, where, today I demolished a huge portion of spaghetti carbonara from the specials board. Part of the return ride was on the Bridgewater Canal path so I stayed on after I left the group in Stretford. I checked the milage when I was nearly home, 42.2 miles. So that was the metric half century done but I decided to end the challenge with an imperial half century. I set the bike computer to zero, and did some loops in the dark and rain to make an extra 8.4 miles. 50.6 miles total.
Bike was so muddy that I gave it a quick wash and wipe down. I'll have to give it a proper clean soon.

Last edited:

galaxy

Veteran
Still got this Dann cold lingering, so we decided another card delivery session on the bikes. Another 9 miles gently in just doing cards. On one post we were collected by Auntie who had just made flapjacks, so on went the kettle. Lovely Flapjack it was too
On arrival home it was time too cook dinner, one of yesterday errands was the butcher stop. Lovely pork n Apple sausages so a nice Toad in the Hole for dinner tonight. Roast spuds n veg, nice thick gravy.
image.jpeg

Steady zone 2 commute this morning and nice to be able to roll in with no real headwind:smile:

https://www.strava.com/activities/449912595

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
Commute yet again this morning. However slightly different in that I rode to the station too. Usually drive to within a mile of the station then cycle to it, on the train to the City, then cycle City to West End (where the office is).
The last time I rode to the station was back in what was laughing called our summer, but this morning was just as enjoyable once I got started and warmed up a little bit. 8 miles to the station, then 5 miles to the office and each leg takes about the same time. To the station is predominantly country lanes whereas the leg into work is in London traffic (including the hell that is the Embankment ).
Just very hungry now.... don't think I can wait until lunch....

Old jon

Guru
The rain defeated me on Saturday, I wimped out. Sunday was booked for other stuff, including sorting out the cold feet. Learning all the time, I am. I bought some 2.7 tog socks, Barbs gave me a crash course in togs. Then discovered I needed bigger shoes for the extra togs, so went and bought them, complete with :=

IMG_1133.jpg

I cannot recall ever needing or receiving a manual for a pair of shoes. The world moves on.

Fitting the cleats ( terrible word ) took an hour or more, by which time Sunday had gone dark.
Monday ! Dull and foggy, who cares? Supersocks on feet, instruction manual shoes on. Old jon on bike and off I went. A repeat of a route I rather like, Oakwood Clock, Boot hill and left at the Boot pub. Then the video starts.

Shadwell, Slaid Hill, Wike, Eat Keswick, Linton and Wetherby. Sandwich stop. Straight home on the A 58 made it a 31.3 mile trip, a little shorter than the last time I rode it, I guess I stayed closer to bend centrelines . . .

Oh, the feet stayed warm.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Finally got out after around 3 weeks of virtually non-stop crap weather.

Only 3 rides in 6 weeks so it felt like my tyres were filled with lead.

30.43 miles at 11.9 mph av' (vs my 'usual' 13.4-ish for this route) and 2541' ascent.

I knew I was going slow as I have my Garmin set to beep every 10 minutes and I use this to (casually not obsessively) keep an eye on how I am doing. I usually get bored of this after the 20 minute beep! Anyway I was 2 mins 21 secs 'down' on the point at which I'd usually expect the 10 minute beep to go off.

Lowlight 1 - my little Cateye rear light decided to jump ship and lord knows where it is now. I imagine it will be visible to planes when darkness falls - merrily blinking away for umpteen hours.

Lowlight 2 - had to get off and open/close 9 x 5 bar (or similar) gates which is a PITA but I fancied a bit of cross country hardpack/mud/green road.

Highlight 1 - met a friendly Labrador called Jake - aw!

Highlight 2 - just before the high point of the route (873') a large Deer hurtled out of the mist (very murky) and crossed about 10' in front of me. Brilliant. For obvious reasons I said "hello Rudolf".

Stay safe all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom