Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A fair whack of our cycling miles are done in the dark at this time of year, in fact dr_pink does more than I do, averaging around 45 miles per week on very dark country lanes. The other night I thought it would be interesting to take 2 photos with my phone camera with flash off and compare the results. The first one is looking back down the road, best title would be Rutland at night
7DF85B88-3596-4539-AC08-E243F7CAD22F_zps47a5fbcy.jpg

The next one taken a few seconds later, and perhaps explaining why rear lights are not really needed on dark country lanes
B0F4735B-453A-49D6-A40C-6D0311D124B3_zpsn5t5stpc.jpg

Just love riding at night, but good front lights are essential for us especially on a couple of sections where we are travelling at between 35 and 40mph.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Wee outing with Mrs 26 to the CTC group's Christmas dinner. For my sins I'd volunteered to lead the CTC group. So we all met up at a cafe west of Worcester. I lead them through some tiny and hilly lanes even finding one lane I'd never ridden in the 30+ years of pedalling around here. Fortunately the group was fairly compact and able to deal with the ups. In the end it was Mrs 26 who was last up. But the smile didn't waver. No rush is there? We made it to the dinner venue in plenty of time for pints and chats before the feast was served. Lovely traditional Christmas fare for me. And an excellent social with good pals. Mrs 26 and I eventually departed into a darkening and rather damp afternoon for the shortest route back with lights on (even at 3pm!!). Miles/sprout ~9

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Wee outing with Mrs 26 to the CTC group's Christmas dinner. For my sins I'd volunteered to lead the CTC group. So we all met up at a cafe west of Worcester. I lead them through some tiny and hilly lanes even finding one lane I'd never ridden in the 30+ years of pedalling around here. Fortunately the group was fairly compact and able to deal with the ups. In the end it was Mrs 26 who was last up. But the smile didn't waver. No rush is there? We made it to the dinner venue in plenty of time for pints and chats before the feast was served. Lovely traditional Christmas fare for me. And an excellent social with good pals. Mrs 26 and I eventually departed into a darkening and rather damp afternoon for the shortest route back with lights on (even at 3pm!!). Miles/sprout ~9

@twentysix by twentyfive

:smile:

Alex H

Legendary Member
My wife is going in for a hip-op this afternoon, so I took the opportunity to go out for a ride, before I get stuck in the house assisting with her recovery :smile:

The weather here is fine - 14°C but cloudy and the countryside is just brown :sad:. I did a loop - St Cyr - St Auvent - Rochechouart and home.

On the way round I was thinking of picture opportunities and remembered there is a farm just outside Rochechouart with a pond next to the road, usually filled with ducks and geese. Today, being a bit near Christmas, the pond was empty :eek:

The commune gardeners have changed the roundabout again - this time for Christmas - I bet it looks a lot better at night ^_^

PC160135.jpg

30km in 1.5hrs

contadino

Veteran
Woke up with a rotten hangover after 3 hours sleep on a couple of litres of marsala. As of yesterday afternoon I've pretty much finished work until the new year.

So my intention was a new 50km route that I've done a couple of times recently.

I spent the first 5km praying for a mechanical. Then got into it a bit. After about 20km I started feeling ropey and decided to take a constitutional in Cisternino. Then I remembered a bar that does epic ciabattas with porcetta so headed there. Fortune smiled as today they had mustard.

After that and a glass of ramanzotti, however, I couldn't face the next hill climb and so adjusted my route and instead followed the railway line, then down a 3km hill towards home.

Gonna have a nap on the sofa now whilst failing to watch Oliver Twist on telly.

Glad I went out, but that was tough going.

As a week since a decent ride set out to rectify that this morning.

Headed via Datchet and Eton to Dorney, through Maidenhead, and then passed Sonning Mill, a delightfully located theatre/dining venue.
Then did my best not to get too snarled up in Reading, then headed cross country via Arborfield etc, Crowthorne, skirting round Bracknell as ever, and through North Ascot to cut through Windsor Great Park and home

Weather held up, no more than a spot or two of rain and wind was not too bad but the very last mile and a half so cannot complain.

Given the legs a good working,
60.11 miles @ 16 mph
1762 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/451123896

Photo0116.jpg

Tide was in today; quality photo from my top of the range Nokia 108!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Got a very hot ride in yesterday. Had to peel a jersey off before the hills. Ran out of water and got a bit dehydrated. Don't usually need any fluids (apart from the social ones in the cafe) in December. Bit windy but there were large bits of blue skies and the sun did come out. It's rays felt quite warm indeed. Rode with two pals, one of whom was on a short leash and headed back early on. The other did most of the ride but took the short way home into Worcester where he lives. I try to avoid the traffic so took the lanes back. The Nuthatches were having a great day calling and the views out over the Teme valley into Shropshire and even Wales were clear. The Clee Hills took centre stage in the views. Lovely outing and I conquered the OCD by not rounding the miles up from 59.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Nearly didn't make it home from today's ride - partly as a by-product of one of yesterday's rides.

Yesterday included a short spin to my Wednesday morning place of part-time work (social media policy dictates I cannot name it - seriously) and one to my LBS to pick up a pair of Schwalbe Winter studded tyres to play with if or when it gets icy. (A total indulgence.) However, even when inflated to 85 PSI for standard road use, there was still too much of a clatter for me to consider using them full-time, so it was back to the LBS today to purchase a spare cassette so I could have them ready on an old wheelset.

Returning home - conditions really good - I was spinning up Back Hamlet (quick a steep hill in Ipswich) and was just about to start passing a left turn (Finbars Walk) when I became aware of a white van coming alongside, seemingly about to give me a very close pass. An instant later, his left-hand indicator comes one and the driver swerves to cut into the turning. Quick reactions from me saved the day, but I have to say I think it is what I shouted out that caused the driver to stop, rather than any concern over my well-being. I'm afraid to report I wasn't going to put up with any more crap and it is possible my continued verbels and posture made must have made it clear that it would be a good idea for the driver to move on.

I'm actually getting better at dealing with this sort of stuff, but still I'm looking forward to the time when such incidents only raise a smile, instead of my anger. :smile:

Top Bottom