Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Did a wee bit of scrambling also this morning, discovered the Marathon Plus tyres aren't very good for this, managed to stay upright though (just) :blush: :bicycle:.
Haven't managed a wheelie yet on Gloria, may be too dangerous!
Marathon Plus's are great!! But not for gloop either.. :whistle:

iandg

Legendary Member
Took the day off thanks to post on-call compensatory rest (I was in the lab for 13 hrs between 10 am Sunday and 5.00 am Monday getting 6 hrs of interrupted sleep) - don't tell Jeremy Hunt :headshake:

Unlike the South of England, in the far north it was one of the calmest days of the year so far. Had a steady ride around the local 'Castle Grounds' trails on the Surly Cross Check - mental therapy :okay:

12715253_10153910111642486_5075917171515878784_n.jpg
12647473_10153910111652486_3267063783169629538_n.jpg
12669481_10153910111647486_429085735109744940_n.jpg
12670301_10153910111732486_7772409466385345089_n.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/488776581

I was going to post yesterday but had the last 12 pages of this thread to keep me busy first!

Solid 40 mile ride on the Px. Possibly the only sort of training ride I do, the only decision is up at any turning so 3000 ft of climbing in total.

Headed out out towards Hoton and up to the ridge at Seagrave. Tried to head down into Sileby but the wind made it very slow. Out toward Mountsorrel after that, stumbled across some floods and a nice artic driver who let me come through it on his side of the road.

Headed up the horrid climb to the end of the Mountsorrel branch of the great Central Railway then down under the mainline whilst a train passed. Then it was time for the big climbs, up to the top of Warren Hill and then Ulverscroft Lane and Polly Botts climb. Swung round and went up Beacon hill. Doing a nice 35mph on the way down, I threw the anchors on for a swing up Deans lane and back down the Beacon which apparently included a mile at 30mph! Felt leggy at this point so out to Barrow and Cotes before getting back to Loughborough!

Nice ride but I wish I'd gone for full length gloves!

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My first Club Run today, thanks to @cyberknight for the introduction. Nice ride, good company and a nice cafe stop thrown in for good measure. Was great fun winding it up on the 2nd half after the cafe, somewhere in the region of a 22/23mph or so average I think it was. Certainly interesting spanking that out on the heavy Winter Beast. Definitely looking forward to more trips out with those guys.
Did i catch whatever bug you had last week ? i have felt farking awful today, weak , lightheaded and like i want to barf this afternoon .
Might explain why i was so rubbish yesterday , mind you the wife said she felt ill friday .
I averaged 12 mph coming home today struggling to push granny gears .

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Did i catch whatever bug you had last week ? i have felt farking awful today, weak , lightheaded and like i want to barf this afternoon .
Might explain why i was so rubbish yesterday , mind you the wife said she felt ill friday .
I averaged 12 mph coming home today struggling to push granny gears .
Hope not CK, but sounds just how I started. That said, I'm not surprised you took a beating on the way home today, wind was real strong in sections.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Took a ride out to Framlingham from Ipswich and back this morning (40 miles). I hadn't realised how many lanes just outside of Ipswich are rat-runs during the rush hour as drivers presumably try to find quicker routes than through town. Some interesting manoeuvres to overtake me. :wacko:
On the plus side, just as I approached Framingham, a Barn owl took flight about fifteen feet from me. Another cyclist had pulled over and had been watching it for some time. I wasn't quick enough for a photo, but here's the one I took at Easton. I suggest it might have been built on a Friday afternoon ...

Framlingham and Barn Owl 001.JPG

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Quick 18 miles tarmac mtb ride..cold but sunny day , no pics as i didnt stop today.
im thawing out nicely now..cuppa and a welcome sarnie.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After the last couple of days being really windy, today dawned overcast, chilly but with very little breeze. I reasoned last night that since I'm not good at hills, I should go do some, so had a rough route in mind which included a hill I hate. I needed to drop cat food at Battersea Old Windsor, so headed out the hilly way via Virginia Water, then up to Englefield Green before skirting the edge of WGP and heading down Crimp Hill. Passed a chap going up the hill on a recumbent trike, looked hard work. Went part way up Priest hill (my hated hill), dropped off cat food, met a lovely shy Mastiff, then went back to the bottom of the hill and started again. Up in 1 go, so happy about that much. Felt OK at the top so headed into WGP for another hill or 2 before a stop at the Village Post Office & General Stores for a coffee and cake, figured I earned it. @CarlP will be amazed, partly because I actually parted with money for coffee, an because I have a photo^_^
09 Feb 2016 WGP Post Office.jpg

Had a target of 300m climbing in mind, not a huge amount for some, but given I normally manage maybe half that on a 30 + mile ride, plenty for me. Home after 363m, and 28 miles.:tired:
More hills tomorrow...Can't wait:unsure:

D

Deleted member 1258

Rode over to Countesthorpe this morning, 58 miles, on my facebook page I had a memory from 12 months ago posted, it was about a ride to Countesthorpe I'd done, I hadn't been back since so decided to ride over this morning. lovely morning for a bike ride, bright and chilly, frost in the verges first thing, with a gentle breeze, problem was the breeze strengthened during the day and by the time I was on my way home it was strong enough to slow me down and make me work. lovely ride out most of it flying with the breeze. I rode though Peatling Magna then turned right onto the gated road and realized I'd got a car behind me so I pulled into a gateway and waved them through, I rode round the corner and they were holding the gate open for me, I rode through and thanked the young lady then pulled over and waited till they had closed the gate and gone past before continuing, I had several motorists being nice to me this morning, I could get used to that, thanks to you all. I turned onto the main road a mile or so from the garden centre and they were hedge cutting, fortunately its a busy road and the cars had swept away a lot of the cuttings and I got past without a puncture. When I left the garden centre, with them hedge cutting just down the road, I decided to turn right and ride through the village then pick up my route out the other side, when I got to Monks Kirby instead of turning right by the church for Withybrook I continued through Stretton under fosse then turned right past the Rolls Royce and Coombe Abbey to come into Coventry on Clifford Bridge road, by that time I was feeling the effects of the work I'd done into the breeze and Sundays miles as well so the legs were fading fast as I rode across the city to home. A good morning out on the bike but I'm knackered now.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
What a horrendous few days' weather we've had. So it was nice to wake up to blue skies. The wind had dropped to a light zephyr - well 20 mph anyway. I took my standard run around the northern end of the Hills and on south for Coddington where I stopped to admire the crocus in full bloom. Further on below Peg's Farm the Snowdrops were worth another stop.

It was a bit of a struggle over Munsley with that wind but there was a bit of relief along the flanks of the Marcles although the climb through Rushall seemed tough today. At Much Marcle I took the lane for Kempley for a change. The missing bridge at Tiller's Green had prompted that thought. From Kempley it was a straightforward run around the southern end of the Hills and into the Castlemorton lanes. Emerging from those traffic was just astounding around Hook Bank and Hanley Swan. I wonder if the road at Upton is closed due to flooding. That always causes problems. I rid myself of this unexpected traffic at Hanley Swan but spots of rain alerted me to a greyness creeping up from behind. I made it back just in time.

After the last couple of days being really windy, today dawned overcast, chilly but with very little breeze. I reasoned last night that since I'm not good at hills, I should go do some, so had a rough route in mind which included a hill I hate. I needed to drop cat food at Battersea Old Windsor, so headed out the hilly way via Virginia Water, then up to Englefield Green before skirting the edge of WGP and heading down Crimp Hill. Passed a chap going up the hill on a recumbent trike, looked hard work. Went part way up Priest hill (my hated hill), dropped off cat food, met a lovely shy Mastiff, then went back to the bottom of the hill and started again. Up in 1 go, so happy about that much. Felt OK at the top so headed into WGP for another hill or 2 before a stop at the Village Post Office & General Stores for a coffee and cake, figured I earned it. @CarlP will be amazed, partly because I actually parted with money for coffee, an because I have a photo^_^
View attachment 118421
Had a target of 300m climbing in mind, not a huge amount for some, but given I normally manage maybe half that on a 30 + mile ride, plenty for me. Home after 363m, and 28 miles.:tired:
More hills tomorrow...Can't wait:unsure:
Went for a coffee once and it was closed

Nice commute in today with relatively light winds for a change;pushed it a bit today so a nice average of just over 27.6kph(17mph).
Again traffic was pretty courteous apart from one numpty who's tyres I heard screeching as he braked behind me in Waterbeach(he turned in to the industrial estate a few yards done the road:rolleyes:).

https://www.strava.com/activities/490043881

May bunk off this afternoon for a ride home.

Top Bottom