Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As is often the case, if you are getting out to meeet a group orevent, you get out in good time
So did not get ready that early today.
Having observed that leg strewngth needed some work, did a few hills, not big ones, just the local ones and where possible in higher gear than normal.

Went over Chertsey Bridge, and immediately did two ascents of St Ann's Hill, then headed over to Egham, up Prune Hill did Tite Hill, down Priest Hill and up Crimp Hill
@cosmicbike it has no fears for me, I find now I don't mind which I go up, Crimp or Tite are maybe the worst. Got up to 38.9 mph down Priest Hill anyway,
I would've done more but lunch beckoned and we had a delivery due at home

24.0 miles @ 15.6 mph, not so bad considering the hills.
Climbing was 1102 feet, not massive but enough for a short ride

https://www.strava.com/activities/490174918/

Noticing that my cadence sensor was not working, replaced the battery in that and in the speed sensor. Just wondering about the HR sensor too.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Decided to chuck the bike in the van and go and do a 10 mile fineshade ,wakerley ride..
lovely day..cool but i over dressed so got a bit hot and sweaty..

20160210_130825.jpg
20160210_132226.jpg
20160210_133921.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Bah! And may I add for good measure bollix.

Set out for an 18 mile round trip to Wantage and back to deal with some sundry matters that I sure are of no interest to anyone and one mile out of the village the chain snapped. Bollix Bum Arse and Rot. Good job it happened right at the top of the hill, I coasted most of the way back down to home. Bloody nuisance, when I got home I got the old chain measurement doodad on it and the chain was really worn out, I didn't think I had done that many miles on it, new one is on the way from the Wigglemeisters.

IMG_2834.JPG

HAborne.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

Another cycling adventure today, strong wind, flooded lanes, wet feet and another puncture, and all for charity. I rode the Guy Salmon/Coventry Road Club charity ride for the NSPCC today, rode the long route and with riding to and from the event clocked up 67 miles, my longest ride this year. It had been stormy here yesterday, strong wind and heavy rain, and that had washed the muck and rubbish out the hedges and off the trees, I punctured in Holly Lane Balsall Common on the way out and as I rode round the route I saw a few people with punctures, there was also a lot of surface water about, the lane I was worried about, Preston Lane had almost dried out by the time I got there but a section of Firs Lane, just past the old church was flooded, it was a bit deep and I had wet feet for the rest of the way round, it also was deep in Exhall a bit further on. A well organized and supported ride I had a stream of riders pass me as I pootled round on my fixed and I had company for the last part of the ride, he passed me as I climbed a hill in Lapworth St and I caught up a bit further on and we rode together to the finish. Another hard morning out on the bike but it was fun.

View attachment 118241

Superb effort, we raised £2079 for the NSPCC

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Shorter ride today, in the rain, and the last bit in the sun. More hilly stuff, so St Annes Hill, then through Lyne, Virginia Water and home via Callow Hill. 750ft or so climbing in 18 miles, and I'm beginning to think hills are about technique. Sitting back at a steady pace works better than going at it hammer and tongs, which invariably leads to being burnt out halfway up...
Went over Chertsey Bridge, and immediately did two ascents of St Ann's Hill, then headed over to Egham, up Prune Hill did Tite Hill, down Priest Hill and up Crimp Hill
@cosmicbike it has no fears for me, I find now I don't mind which I go up, Crimp or Tite are maybe the worst. Got up to 38.9 mph down Priest Hill anyway,
Hopefully I'll think the same in time, and I may try a similar circuit later this week.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
The past few days have been horrendous weather wise. I don't mind going out in the cold, rain or wind, but within reason, and the last few days have not been reasonable, they have been so bad, cycling would have been thoroughly unpleasant. This morning though, it was a lovely bright, sunny day, although the North West wind was quite strong and made it feel somewhat chilly. After getting my hair cut I was off out on the bike, through Shirdley Hill and Scarisbrick, over to Burscough and through the countryside to Martin Mere, then onto Mere Brow near Tarleton, through Banks, a longish village just to the north of Southport and then through Crossens and Churchtown which are both districts of Southport, north of the town centre. From Churchtown I headed across the mossland back towards Scarisbrick and back home across Birkdale Cop. A distance of just under 29 miles. A thoroughly enjoyable ride in the fresh sunshine, which even had a springy feel about it at times, although apparently the weather is going to go wintry again for the weekend.

A couple of mechanical hitches hit me, but they were of my own making. I gave my bike a good clean at the weekend, taking the wheels off and doing all the hard to reach bits. This morning, I had only gone a few yards when I noticed my cycle computer wasn't working so I checked to see if the distance between the magnet and sensor was okay - anyway, Halfwit Henry (aka Roadhump) had only gone and put the wheel back on the wrong way round so the magnet was on the wrong side - doh!! Then my back brakes started rubbing and I found this was due to not having tightened the QR lever enough, eventuallu I sorted them out before any damage was done.

I planned this ride to best cope with the wind and generally it worked as apart from a couple of stretches where the wind was in my face, it wasn't really much of a hindrance. It just so happens that along this route there are several pubs, which are the main subjects of the photos I took:

The Heaton's Bridge in Scarisbrick, a nice old fashined canal side pub, excellent for a summer pint in the beer garden.
Heatons Bridge.jpg

The Martin Inn, Burscough. At one time, this used to attract punters from far and wide, and it was rammed every night, but not as busy these days - where is?
Martin Inn.jpg

The next pub on this route is The Farmer's Arms on the bank of the Leeds Liverpool canal in Burscough, about a mile from Burscough Village. This is a belting pub, very reasonably priced beer (they do Tetley's cask, which is hard to find these days), and has picnic tables alongside the canal with fantastic views across miles of farmland. Only problem is that on warm summer days and evenings, it is often difficult to find any space, it is so popular.
Farmers Arms.jpg

A short distance along the towpath takes you to the next pub, The Lathom Slipway, or just the Slipway now. Another very pleasant canal side pub, which I believe was once run by Freddie "Parrot Face" Davies, whatever happened to him I wonder?
Slipway.jpg

Leaving the canal in Burscough Village I passed the Hop Vine, situated on the busy A59 Liverpool to Preston main road. This pub h as a reputation for first class food, I have eaten there once a few years ago and it was very good. People tell me it is still a great place to eat.
Hopvive.jpg

After the Hop Vine it was a few miles of pleasant countryside past Martin Mere and Windmill Farm. Windmill Farm is one of those farms that has been converted into a kiddies' playground. it is a nice place to take the kids for an hour or so, they really enjoy it. They have an adventure playground where we used to take our kids when they were small, so I could play on the zip wire.

Windmill Farm.jpg

At Mere Brow, the local pub is called the Legh Arms, which apparently is another good place to eat.
Legh Arms.jpg

Onto Banks where the local pub is the New Fleetwood. I have never been in there nor do I know anyone who has so not a clue what it is like.
New Fleetwood.jpg

Onto Churchtown, a quaint olde wolrde village and there are 2 pubs, the Hesketh (first shot below) and the Bold. Both, I believe are very popular thriving places.

Hesketh.jpg

Bold.jpg

From Churchtown I took a route that doesn't pass any more pubs and I had run out of the 10 permitted photos anyway. Not that I am obsessed with pubs, just that I thought it would be an interesting theme for a cycle ride photo shoot. Anyway, must go and cook Mrs Roadhump's tea now, before going to the pub (Wetherspoons) to meet a couple of mates.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
More blue in the sky today. The wind was a bit chill out of the north west but compared to recent events nothing to worry about. I met Pete and Sara in the Green. The call had been Broadway but that was altered to Evesham. So we took to the Castlemorton lanes for a crossing of the Marsh. Lots of water about and some creeping up onto the tarmac too. As we dropped off from Bushley Green the water in the Severn Valley could be seen. More water was filling the Avon Valley as we rode towards Bredon Hill. Around the Hill we rode to turn away at Elmley Castle for Evesham. Here the Avon was well within it's banks and at the cafe down by the River no flooding of note. I'm afraid I weakened and had a large chunk of bread pudding. The cafe is famous for it.

We headed back by Elmley Castle heading for the bridge at Pershore as the Eckington bridge is flooded. Then by Rebecca road we had the North Westerly hindering. At Upton we managed to get around the floods by going under one barrier and around another. The road needs to be closed but the footpath was free - so why barrier it off? Now we were able to avoid the diverted traffic and head back on the standard route.

The miles (65) turned out a tad more than I'd thought. But it was a good ride and despite the wind not too tough. Seems my strength may be returning after a bit of a struggle in January.

As is often the case, if you are getting out to meeet a group orevent, you get out in good time
So did not get ready that early today.
Having observed that leg strewngth needed some work, did a few hills, not big ones, just the local ones and where possible in higher gear than normal.

I would've done more but lunch beckoned and we had a delivery due at home

24.0 miles @ 15.6 mph, not so bad considering the hills.
Climbing was 1102 feet, not massive but enough for a short ride

https://www.strava.com/activities/490174918/

Noticing that my cadence sensor was not working, replaced the battery in that and the speed sensor. Just wondering about the HR sensor too.

Kudos given for that KOM:bravo:

grumpyoldwoman

Making the most of a dry,wind free day off,I took the cycle path out to St Georges,along the River Banwell and back home through Worle and Milton,back to Weston.

DSC_0082.JPG

5 minutes to watch the ducks
DSC_0083.JPG

DSC_0084.JPG
DSC_0085.JPG

A bit waterlogged
DSC_0086.JPG

A view of the Mendips
DSC_0089.JPG

Looks like the remains of a bridge?
DSC_0090.JPG

DSC_0091.JPG

Refuel before heading home!
DSC_0092.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0088.JPG
    DSC_0088.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 38

gavgav

Guru
Bah! And may I add for good measure bollix.

Set out for an 18 mile round trip to Wantage and back to deal with some sundry matters that I sure are of no interest to anyone and one mile out of the village the chain snapped. Bollix Bum Arse and Rot. Good job it happened right at the top of the hill, I coasted most of the way back down to home. Bloody nuisance, when I got home I got the old chain measurement doodad on it and the chain was really worn out, I didn't think I had done that many miles on it, new one is on the way from the Wigglemeisters.

View attachment 118507

View attachment 118510

Well that's a pain in the rear end! Hope the new one is more reliable!

Top Bottom