Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Strictly speaking "my ride yesterday".

I didn't have time around other commitments to fit in a century, so I decided to make the best of things and do some Garmin testing.

At the end of last month I finally bowed to the inevitable and got myself into Garmin and Strava. Predictably enough I now can't understand how I ever managed without them. Like many I've started with an Edge 200, and I've done a couple of centuries where I've simply started it at the beginning and not touched it until the end. At my current pace a century takes the best part of eight hours and I've had over 50% charge left, which is encouraging especially in cold weather, but on a 200 mile ride I'll need in-flight charging capability to be sure of it lasting to the end. The Garmin, that is, not me.

Although simple walk around tests suggest that in-flight recharging and other interruptions don't affecting recording, that doesn't prove that the ride data will get uploaded to Strava. There's plenty of angst on various forums from people whose Strava stats have been ruined when stuff didn't get recorded as they'd assumed it would. So I did a modest 36 mile ride which included the following, reasoning that I wouldn't too upset if Strava didn't get it exactly right on this occasion:
  • Pause/Resume
  • Plug in external power source and continue riding
  • Detach external power source and continue riding
  • Stop and power down
  • Power up and resume
  • Return home, power down, go indoors and plug in external power source
  • Detach external power source, power up, resume and go riding again
  • Stop and save
And I'm glad to report that everything appeared on Strava intact:

https://www.strava.com/activities/510063282

As for the ride, it was absolutely lovely. A shame I couldn't do more in such perfect conditions. This coming Friday looks like a good alternative to target...

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Okay, that was a bit of madness on my part. Yesterday evening I took myself to bed early because of the onset of aches and pains and the beginnings of a cough that generally herald Man Flu. I'm not much better today, but in my quest to cycle at least one mile each day this year, I've just forced myself to go out do a gentle, and slow,1.25 miles around the block. I am now recovering with paracetamol, a cup of tea and am seriously thinking of a lie-down.
No photos of the ride, but I thought you might like to admire the quantity of packaging Chain Reaction thinks appropriate for the Swisstop pads I received this morning ... :whistle:

Brake Pads and Box 001.JPG

MikeW-71

Veteran
That's March's 50 challenge ride done. Chilly day, but I got the clothes right again and everything stayed warm, even my feet! I must have been under-dressing to let my hands and feet freeze... hmm....

Anyway, no particular plan in mind, other than having a pop at a particular segment that I really given a proper go yet. PR by 11 seconds, happy with that :biggrin: Wandered around a bit after that to add the extra mileage so I would be at 31 miles when I got home, and I just needed to take the longer way back into the estate to make the distance.

What a beautiful day with wall-to-wall sunshine and light winds, and a lovely easy-going ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/510909171/

Old jon

Guru
A bit of a ride today, I decided to go to Otley using an undecided route. By the time I had reached the Ring Road, seemingly riding into a headwind all the way, I had had enough, so I took the main road all the way there, a swift sandwich stop and then the main road most of the way back, with a slight diversion through Kirkstall for a change. That's the bit in the video where the towpath has hills . . .

More map perusal is needed for different routes into Wharfedale from where I live. Maybe tomorrow.
Oh, 29.3 miles.

Brilliant 75km today with just over a 1000m of climbing. Almost perfect conditions - blue skies, sunshine, dry roads and hardly a breath of wind.
Up through Strathaven, over the Ardochrig before dropping down into EK and heading home through Blantyre, Bothwell and Strathclyde Park.
Also took my distance total to over 2000km so far this year

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Lovely weather today, but a bit nippy out there :cold:
I must confess, I waited until nearly 10:00 before venturing out. Even so, the grass was still covered in frost.
Having wrapped up fairly well, I wasn't particularly cold, but I only wore my normal specs rather than the cycling wraparounds so my eyeballs got a tad frozen for the first hour..
My plan was to cut through to Overstone and on through Holcot for a circuit or two of Pitsford Reservoir and crunch through the icy puddles for a few miles.

DSC_3423.JPG

The Res is full at the moment, and quite choppy with the wind blowing across it.

DSC_3425.JPG

Unusually, the water was flowing over the weir and down the flood channels today. I've not seen it do that for quite a while.

DSC_3434.JPG

As the cafe was open, and I had some time to spare, I popped in for an ice cream. Seemed only fair to share it with the local wildlife.Happily, it didn't pinch my flake!!

Back home in time to cut the grass before babysitting my grandson, then pick granddaughter up from school.

23 lovely sunny miles.. :sun:

https://www.strava.com/activities/510839706

:smile:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A completely out of character ride for me today. I read an article the other day claiming that you burn 3 times as much fat if you exercise strenuously before breakfast, so I nipped out this morning for a 20 mile time trial to Splatt Bridge (Frampton on Severn) and back via Elmore. Now I'm sure my clubmates would vouch for the fact that I'm not exactly known for my turn of speed, being generally considered (ahem) rather sedate in my cycling style, and riding easily the heaviest bike in the club. On this occasion, though, I thought I would give it a real go.

Even with my rudimentary maths skills, I could tell to my surprise that I had averaged exactly 15mph by the 10 mile (half way) point even though it had been into the wind all the way. Thought I'd better keep up the effort on the way back, so went nose-to-the-bars despite being pretty nackered. Had to slow down for a horse at one point, and a horse-drawn carriage at another, as well as having to stop for traffic at a T junction. Also caught my mind drifting a bit around the 15 mile mark and gave myself a virtual kick up the backside. Nevertheless got home in a total time of 1 hour 15 mins and 58 secs, averaging 15.8mph. I can safely say that's the first time I've ever averaged faster than 15mph over a distance of more than 10 miles, let alone 20, so I'm chuffed with that.

Back to the club's "Chilled Group" ride on Sunday, which is how I prefer my cycling .... but it's nice to know you can turn it on when you need to. I shall be doing a few more pre-breakfast morning time trials and keeping one eye on the scales over the next few weeks. Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

What a difference in the weather, yesterday when I couldn't get out cold bright and sunny, today I got up to drizzle, but it cleared up by half nine so I thought I'd nip out and do a short ride. I decided to go to the Brandon Marsh Nature Reserve as it wasn't far away and do a scenic ride out, so out of Coventry through Bell Green and Wood End, then Shilton, Withybrook and Monks kirby, and down through Stretton Under Fosse and Brinklow then left through Brettford and into the other side of Coventry to pick up Brandon Lane and into the Reserve. When I left the Reserve I decided I would turn right at the end of Brandon Lane and go back through Bretford then turn right for Church Lawford where I would turn left then down Kings Newnham hill to pick up my route out to ride it in reverse home, it never happened that way, I turned right and up the hill then started to make up the route as I went along, I turned left then left and right across the Easenhall Rd through Harborough Magna and past the radio masts then right towards the roundabout on the A5 rode a short section of the A5 the turned right to Ullesthorpe with the intention of riding my usual route home from Ullesthorpe, but when I got to Monks Kirby instead of turning right by the church I continued through Stretton Under Fosse then turned right onto the Fosse Way and left onto Smeaton Lane to ride in past Coombe Abbey and up Clifford Bridge Rd, Belgrave Rd, Hipswell Highway and Sewall Highway to home. In the end my planned short ride came to 54 miles. Not a nice day for a bike ride, cold and grey with a stiff cold breeze, but at least it stayed dry.

http://www.warwickshirewildlifetrust.org.uk/reserves/brandon-marsh

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Therapy very much required today. I headed out on a fairly well known route up here but was stymied by the bridge at Isel being closed. That's a legacy of the mega floods that occurred around these parts a while ago. So it was necessary to ride further up the Derwent to get across. Now my choices had altered so I took to the tough steep climb to get to Ireby. From there I could get back on plan by Torpenhow. This lane is a nice little one and can be a joy to ride. Today hedge clippings and mud spoiled the mood.

Back on original plan it was a stiff and cold headwind which kept my pace well down but I decided to extend the ride to go over Broughton Moor. Today bleak didn't do it justice in its bleakness. I eventually got over to Brigham and began to climb over into the Lorton Valley. Again progess was halted by the closure of the bridge at Southwaite Farm. To get over the Cocker I had to divert by Rogerscale. So I then chose to go up the tiny lane by Armaside where three little brothers were building "Stonehenge". Imagination in play is still alive! I finished off by dropping down over the A66 and up by Embleton. That had been a tough 40 miler. Steep hills aplenty and open exposure to the chill wind too. But the therapy seems to have done its job.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
There was :rain: today. The forecast I looked at said it should have been dry but cloudy, the reality though was that I got 4 miles into the morning commute then the rain started (awkward as it's difficult to dry everything at work).

I hoped for a better trip home especially as Doug was going to schedule his ride to come past my work at about kicking out time and accompany me home. He arrived looking rather damp which wasn't encouraging and after setting out it stayed dry for a short while (about 2 miles this time) before more showers rolled across us.

Doug took it alright but I felt a bit guilty as I wouldn't have suggested he come out to meet me if I'd known how wet it was going to be.

Another 21.9 miles to add to the tally. No photos this time due to not being in the mood.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Originally, 6 of us were heading off to Thetford Forest for a blast around the trails there. It ended up as 5, as one chap pulled out due to a bad chest and cough... 'Man up!' we said as one!! but he didn't..
As I rode the 8 miles over to meet the lads, I was getting quite damp, and fairly chilly as it was still about 0c and drizzling. Still, a nice mug of hot coffee thawed me out before we set off.

DSC_3446.JPG

Never mind, eventually, we all fitted into one car with 5 bikes scattered on and behind it..

Happily, by the time we reached Thetford Forest, the rain had stopped and the temperature was a heady 5c! Nearly shorts weather, but not quite yet :laugh:

Unlike my previous visit last summer when the place was heaving, the car park was as empty as the trails. We only met one other rider all the time we were there. What a difference a season makes..

DSC_3470.JPG

With the sound of F15's from RAF Lakenheath rumbling around, we rode around the trails. Some were muddier than others
, but in general, they were more damp and slippery than wet.

IMG_20160308_180634.jpg

Me, washing the wheels..

Some of the bomb holes there are good fun to bounce around, otherwise the trails are fairly flattish. This is what put us off visiting the first time, but there really is much fun to have there for all abilities of rider.

IMG_20160308_180250.jpg

With a mere 11 miles ridden at Thetford, we set off back to the cafe at 15:00 only to find it all shut up. Closed. Fermé. Geschlossen.
Luckily, I'd made a cake to take with us for post-ride sustenance or we'd have been more than peckish!

IMG_20160308_180808.jpg

Anyway, after a play around the Pump Track, the less than sensible ones posed for a piccy..:becool:

20 miles for the day, plus a mile or so from were I got dropped off near home, made it a fun day out with plenty of jumps and bumps to keep the juices flowing

https://www.strava.com/activities/511812003

:smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom