Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Wet but warm ride here today, 68F and very nice indeed, despite the rain. Very few other riders beside the one fellow who I saw on a step-through bicycle. I guess the rain, and mid-week timing was cause for a lot of folks to be doing something else, but I had a great time.
68F down to 64F
Winds SW 10, then W 8
Relative humidity 93%
barometer 29.91
Fog and rain

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
My Man-Flu continues to prevent me from doing anything longer, or more energetic, than another belligerent 1.5 miles around the block so as to meet my target of cycling every day this year, but the sun encouraged my to take a photo of some crocuses I planted last year that appeared to also be taking advantage of the weather. Now, where did I put that cup of Lemsip ...

Spring Sun.jpg

Old jon

Guru
Yesterday's weather was orrible, and I had a new mic delivered, so had to try that out. Got out today though, and found the further out of Leeds I pedalled, the mistier and chillier the weather became. The whole 30.1 miles started with the usual half lost wander around Holbeck, Great George Street and its variously named extensions out to Cinder Bridge, climb the hill to John O' Gaunts and turn left through Woodlesford. There was a humungous truck blocking the road by the station, doing a three point turn and stopping traffic. Eventually overtaking me half way through Swillington . . .

Climb out of Swillington revealed a very misty southern landscape, a very wet mist it was. Ride around the northern side of Garforth and directly on to Lotherton Hall and a less than warm sandwich stop. Well worth the visit, the deer were as near to the road as I have ever seen them, but not close enough for the medium sized camera to record anything good enough to put on here, so settle for this video instead:--

I have seen a tandem lurking in the garage of the first house on the left . . .

Then my standard Aberford, Barwick, Scholes return home. Not many cyclists about, three or four only, but a working day for most folk I reckon.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Visiting my mother in hospital now that the crisis has passed has eased things a bit. So I decided to ride there and back today. Weather was bright if cloudy and whilst the chill wind was hindering on the way out it wasn't much really. Most of the wind turbines were still. Just the odd one was turning slowly.

I invented a route to avoid the main road. This took me through some familiar villages but it wasn't long before I was reaching the limits of my familiarity. The lumps and bumps tended to flatten somewhat but the dairy farm land continued. A few mistakes getting through the Carlisle streets but no trouble really.

Mother has recovered from the Op now but lots of rehab required now. I headed back into the setting sun recognising some of the way I'd ridden earlier. It does look different when riding the opposite way. That's one way to keep your routes fresh boys and girls. 65 miles with a lot of it on new tarmac today. Lovely

Visiting my mother in hospital now that the crisis has passed has eased things a bit. So I decided to ride there and back today. Weather was bright if cloudy and whilst the chill wind was hindering on the way out it wasn't much really. Most of the wind turbines were still. Just the odd one was turning slowly.

I invented a route to avoid the main road. This took me through some familiar villages but it wasn't long before I was reaching the limits of my familiarity. The lumps and bumps tended to flatten somewhat but the dairy farm land continued. A few mistakes getting through the Carlisle streets but no trouble really.

Mother has recovered from the Op now but lots of rehab required now. I headed back into the setting sun recognising some of the way I'd ridden earlier. It does look different when riding the opposite way. That's one way to keep your routes fresh boys and girls. 65 miles with a lot of it on new tarmac today. Lovely
I hope your mum recovers okay :hugs:.

D

Deleted member 1258

My usual Thursday loop calling at Hatton Locks, but with a couple of twists. I started off in the car, dropped it off at the garage for its MOT and service and picked it up on the way back, when I got to the garage they were just opening up and I got one or two curious looks as I changed into cycle shoes with overshoes, I was already wearing my cycle gear, and got the bike out. It was also my first ride on gears since the end of October, and the three things I found out very quickly were that it appears I was riding last summer with the saddle a smidge too low, about a couple of mm, I checked it out during the ride and the saddle definitely wants to be raised a smidge, I need to spend some time tweaking the gears, they are not quite right, close but not perfect, and I'd forgotten how to use gears, I was on the way back before it all clicked and I started to get it right. The weather wasn't very good, grey and very cold with a stiff cold wind blowing. I did 51 slow miles and I'm knackered tonight.

Archeress

Veteran
Todays ride was sobering. I learnt this morning that Nikki, a friend, had had a cycling accident and broken her back. So the ride was into Southmead Hospital to visit her in the ICU. I feared what I would find, but found that she was in good spirits and has some movement. Her legs are fine but it is her arms that are the problem, particulalry her right arm, which only has the slightest movement and feels all pins and needles.

She had the acciedent whilst reccying a womens mountain biking route with 2 other ride leaders last Sunday. They had already decided the track they were on was no good and were bailing out when the accident happened. Nikki said she was doing les than 5mph when her wheel got caught in a deep rut from a 4x4 and off the bike she went.

I think I'll be doing this ride regularly for the foreseeable future.

Hugs
Archeress x

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Gave my commuter a good run in after all the group set and wheel upgrades. Feels brilliant well chuffed with it sun was out but a bit fresh. Shimano 105 5800 is well worth the money imo. Not sure if this link will work but a good friend who does all my bike work has just moved premises to an old pub which has been converted to a workshop/cafe. His new website is still being made but it's highly recommended the coffee and cake is excellently priced and tastes sublime. Stopped in today for a Americano and to drool over my half finished bike !
Ride is here

https://www.strava.com/activities/513976020

And hopefully cafe pictures are here.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=v...hlgds0RJ4/VqMqISGPiWI/AAAAAAAAABY/Mkb-CjzK_cs

Cheers
Mark

Old jon

Guru
I seem not to do different, half a dozen or so routes that I stick to and all the rest of the map largely ignored. The weather changes, though. So, out into light mist this morning, point out along Great George Street after the wander around the scruffier bits of Holbeck. Crown Point Road, then along the side of the bus station, Regent Street and Roundhay Road to the Oakwood Clock, the sweaty grunt up Boot Hill to the pub, turn left and head for Shadwell along this bit of road :---

Left along Main Street to Slaid Hill, turn right for Wike and East Keswick, the bridge at Linton is still closed, so through Collingham and on to the Town Hall in Wetherby for a sandwich in the sun. At this point I had done 18 miles, so back on the not so busy A 58 to complete 31.9 miles for the round trip. Wondrous.

Mrs M

Guru
Todays ride was sobering. I learnt this morning that Nikki, a friend, had had a cycling accident and broken her back. So the ride was into Southmead Hospital to visit her in the ICU. I feared what I would find, but found that she was in good spirits and has some movement. Her legs are fine but it is her arms that are the problem, particulalry her right arm, which only has the slightest movement and feels all pins and needles.

She had the acciedent whilst reccying a womens mountain biking route with 2 other ride leaders last Sunday. They had already decided the track they were on was no good and were bailing out when the accident happened. Nikki said she was doing les than 5mph when her wheel got caught in a deep rut from a 4x4 and off the bike she went.

Hugs
Archeress x
Hope she recovers well.

Levo-Lon

Guru
What a fabulous day,work all done by 12...so out i went..
20 mile loop..loads of roadies out in the sunshine..i took my FS for a run as i knew id go off road..
the rain on weds has really filled the drains and rivers..ive never seen Maxey Cut looking like rapids..
its usually a slow moving narrow water way..
Few pics of the drain ...and the start of a good muddy run..

my new Giro Terraduro shoes are ace.got em mucky so initiation over

20160311_134828.jpg
20160311_134324.jpg
20160311_134320.jpg
20160311_141636.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

Hugs
Archeress x

My best wishes to Nikki for a swift and complete recovery. :hugs:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom