Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toffee

Guru
Not been out for a couple of weeks due to family commitments. So today Mrs T and I thought we would find out how steep the one of the hills on our route to Paris will be in a couple of weeks. It would also mean a 40 odd mile ride, which we did with loaded panniers, so it would be good practice.

First off there were loads of cyclists out this morning, don't know where they all came from.

_20160312_180717.JPG

Forty four files there and back with the hill in question topping out at 10%, which we both got up OK.

Took a couple of photos while we were having lunch.

Our bikes
20160312_123953.jpg

View from lunch stop
20160312_124115.jpg

Derek

Archeress

Veteran
A nice 23 mile loop today with my fiance. Out to the garden centre for breakfast, we also picked up some bird feed. Then on to see Rob at Really Useful Bikes for my fiance to buy a nice shiny brass bell to replace the rusting bulb horn. Then it was onto the ring road path and a quick coffee at the Pirate Bay Golf Centre and the final 5 miles home.

Hugs
Archeress x

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
We're in a transitional phase. On one hand it's still snowy and cold on the tops in the Peak District. On the other hand, the skylarks are singing on the upland pastures.
So, I decided to wear shorts for the first time in 2016. Great conditions. Light southerly, about 7 degrees, watery sunshine. Long loop, Glossop - Bamford - Hathersage - Eyam - Ashford in the Water - Millers Dale - Glossop
Kicked off with my 99th strava ascent of Snake Pass. Never easy. Despite all the snow melting in Glossop, there's still quite a bit on the tops

20160312_094223.jpg

Amazingly there was a pied wagtail there too

Loads of ups and downs but I was driven on by the prospect of the café at Ashford in the Water. Here's what the White Peak (as opposed to the Dark Peak where I live) looks like

20160312_111515.jpg

When I got there I wasn't really ready for a stop. Still felt full-ish after the porridge so I pressed on, knowing there was a coffee van at Millers Dale. By the time I got there, 39 miles (and 4,000ft of climbing) in I was really ready for a stop and a refuel

And here it is...built in 1970. Hot chocolate, slice of fruit cake and a twix

20160312_122414 (002).jpg

Last 10 miles included two more hard climbs and I was starting to lose power. Finally crawled home. 58 miles, 5,800ft of climbing. Legs gone, few beers and an early night

Jenkins

Legendary Member
In a complete contrast to yesterday's sunshine, this part of Suffolk has been covered by a layer of dull, grey cloud all day. I delayed going out in the hope it would brighten up, but no luck. I had to get out as from now until November I'll either be working at the weekend or spectating at motorsport events so a quick 40 miler was completed. Strangely there didn't appear to be any wind as all the flags & turbines were still, but going west(ish) there was definite wind assistance and a head wind on the way home.

https://www.strava.com/activities/515134485

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
......62.25 miles (that's 100.1 km) in 4 hrs 29 m at an average of 13.9 mph, with 2172ft climbed. :wahhey: My first metric century in the bag! :cheers:
It was blooming hard work over the last 10 miles or so, but I'm so pleased that i stuck with it and thank goodness I had the Haribo with me ;)
:bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::okay: :notworthy:(A simple "like" didn't seem enough). Chapeau! Sir.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Mostly had work and taking care of Mrs. GA after her fall t'other day, as well as bus stuff this morning. I was, however, able to get out for 7 miles and keep up some good speed as well, absolutely deserted out there due to threat of rain. It has sprinkled the whole afternoon and not gotten the streets wet. We are on the very verge of those rainstorms, just far enough south to be out of it entirely. The other day, we were just far enough north to be out of it entirely, so we've been lucky.
56F
13C
Relative humidity 81%
Winds E12
Barometer 30.01
Cloudy.

Jimidh

Veteran
image.jpeg

I'm only posting because for once I actually stopped and took a photo!

Yesterday I had my weekly MTB play at Glentress with my son - a nice wee 11 miler half of it up hill and the rest wheening downhill. A good mixture of red and blue routes today.

TBH I'm a pretty useless downhiller especially on the more technical trails where my brain tells my left hand to hit the brakes more often than it should.

I do enjoy it though and the technical climbs are a pretty good workout.

gavgav

Guru
My 1st small ride of March. I've had a rough week with toothache and ending up having the tooth out on Wednesday and then up most of Thursday night with horrendous pains in my abdomen, which the doctor thinks was possibly a grumbling appendix :sad:. Been very tender and feeling sorry for myself for the last few days and so decided to try a short gentle local ride, to see how I felt and one that I could abort at any stage.

Went along the cycle lanes to Heathgates, legs felt lethargic but ok otherwise, then through the estate and along the river towpath into the Quarry Park. Beautiful sunny and mild spring morning meant it was gorgeous down there, with loads of people out walking, cycling and fishing.

Continued up through Porthill and into Copthorne, where a stupid woman pulled out in front of me, onto my side of the road :stop:.

Was feeling ok and so went past work and doubled back through the estate and down to Radbrook, up through Nobold, Meole Brace and back home.

Can feel a little bit of tenderness but nothing too bad and so hopefully this has done me good.

Whilst putting the bike away I decided to get the mower out to give the lawn its first cut of the year, and the mower started 1st time!! :bravo:

12.1 miles at a gentle 10.9mph avg

It's been a long time. I've not looked at the average, it needed a cafe stop, I needed help mounting and dismounting and stopping needed a shoulder to lean on, but I managed 18.5km (roughly 11 miles) and enjoyed it. I don't know if I'll be able to manage it myself unaided but that is my next challenge. Today I'm just content! ^_^

_20160313_113153.JPG

https://www.strava.com/activities/515690477

Last edited:
Top Bottom