Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Bagged my first 100 km ride of the year today through some lovely countryside :highfive:. The thighs started to stiffen up a bit for the last 20 km`s, but I was surprised how easy I found it all in all :bicycle:

http://www.strava.com/activities/514065027

Dave 123

Legendary Member
My commute this morning was great! Thick freezing fog. Everything had a frosty covering, brake levers, brake cables, eye lashes and eyebrows. Good fun!
On my return home I felt stronger than I had for a couple of weeks. Not sure if it's because I am, or that I was excited that we were off for a tandem ride.
I was first home, beating Jo by about 3 minutes. 10 minutes later we were off.
Down toward Toft in milky sunshine, spring time feeling good finally!
Up the hill into Kingston and back down the other side to carry on below Bourne and onto Longstowe. Coming through here the other week Jo waved to an old man in his bungalow window, today she saw him throw something at his telly! Bargain Hunt ain't what it used to be!
Next she waved at an old lady doing her dishes, the lady waved back. We must have looked like a Variety Club sunshine coach!
We saw a buzzard sat in a tree, he was watching a pair of mallard below him in a big puddle.
Through the Gransdens, people nodding and smiling at us, it's amazing what sunshine does to people.
image.jpeg

Gransden church peeped at us through the trees.
Back home in soft, evening light, commuters tearing home along the old A428 back to Cambourne. A nice 20 miles on a windless afternoon.

https://www.strava.com/activities/514166547

Extended ride home from work that ended up being 101km for this months metric century/fondo.

Nice ride through some Suffolk villages but the lack of planning meant a couple of loops needed at the end to complete the 100.

Flagging at the end and had a sore back probably caused by wearing a rucksack;not the best idea for 100kms:rolleyes:,although the Strava info was better than I thought I had done but it did tail off at the end.

Fabric saddle was really comfy so may have found the right model at last.

https://www.strava.com/activities/514124065

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It was chilly but :sun: here today so I decided to do the long version of my commute this morning. This involves heading south through Condover, Pitchford and Acton Burnell then across to Cressage and north to Wroxeter then onwards to work. As well as being decent weather, all the drivers behaved nicely making for a very pleasant trip overall. My timing was a bit tight so unfortunately I didn't have the luxury of being able to stop for photos.

I had the warehouse door open at work which was nice and I declare that Spring has officially started as the ice cream van came round the estate for the first time this year (all us minions like our gelato.;))

A last minute rush of orders meant I was late getting away (leaving it 'til just before the courier comes to order a long list including three chains that have to be cut to length..... grumble, grumble :whistle:) so I thought I may as well take a longer quieter route on the way home too. This started out following one of my regular routes but I extended it with a section alongside the river then out of town through the Belle Vue area for a bit of variety. The roads were busy as expected and I had a standoff at a pinch point with one driver who insisted on letting me go first while I was trying to do the same for him. :laugh:

28.2 miles for the day. 13.5 mph average.

DSC0003231.jpg

One from the trip home - The Severn is flowing well with a good lot of white water at the weir. Is anyone missing a tree?

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
What a lovely day for not being at work. After a morning of domestic chores, I took the Cube out into town to collect a parcel from the Post office and for a haircut. Somehow, the 5 mile round trip turned into 12 miles out and 10 miles back with a couple of sections of off roading and a cruise along Felixstowe seafront and the cliff tops..

Out

Home

Dave 123

Legendary Member
An early ride for me today as my mum, sister and BiL are descending around lunchtime to attend a family christening tomorrow, so if I'm up early....

Anyhow, today was an arm warmer, buff and light rain jacket kind of day and once or twice the weak sun almost produced shadows.

Down through Comberton and on the rutted lane to Harlton. In Haslingfield we turned up over Chapel Hill then rolled into Barrington. In Shepreth ewes and lambs were in the fields, birds were twittering.
On to Fowlmere and then a turn to Thriplow. They have an annual daffodil weekend in the village, the sign said mid April.... There'll be nowt left!

On to Newton, then a 200yd dash on the A10 which was traffic free before heading back to Haslingfield, where I threatened Thomas with a second ascent of Chapel Hill. I got a negative reply!

Coming into Comberton I signalled to turn right "it'd be rude not to" said I,
"Hmmm" came the grumble from my lazy son.

As I waited at the top for him 2 blokes came by and said "morning", I'm sure one was wearing orange Lycra Jim jams. Nice.

Back home having done a bit over 26 miles just as the sun is burning through.

https://www.strava.com/activities/514681922

john59

Guru
A 54 km ride this morning. The weather wasn't as nice as yesterday but still reasonably mild.

New cycle path, now completed, near Powey Lane.
20160312_105605.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/514732286

John

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
What a lovely day's weather we have had. Blue Skies, no wind and some warming sunshine. Could this really be Spring? 6 out today including moi and Mrs 26. We headed down through the school where the flooding in the Severn Valley could be seen. Just a small flood by local standards so we were not affected at all. That was good as the Hams were well above water and we could take the flat route to Ashleworth. Our pace was quite low as Rich's strength is still compromised. Lots of water at Ashleworth but none on the road. We looped by Hartpury and arrived at the Trioscape for more chatting, not that the chats had been lacking on the ride out.

Mrs 26 decided we should return by Redmarley D'Abitot so we climbed steadily to Upleadon to take the ups and downs thereafter. At Redmarley the request was for a return by Hollybush. Rich likes that part of the world. So we climbed from Chase End Street to eventually enjoy the nice long freewheel down over the common for Welland. The 2 girls took the shortcut from Danemoor Cross while us hardy chaps looped around by Guarlford. Certainly the nicest day for a gentle outing on two wheels we've had for a very long time.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
It now looks like spring has finally sprung, unfortunately however this wasn't the case when I set off from home en-route to Salisbury race course at 7am this morning for the Wiltshire Wildcat sportive when it was minus 1 & very, very foggy!

I'm not sure if I arrived the same time as everyone else or whether the start was delayed as the queue to get going was rather long to say the least but once under way it was down hill & into the fog of the Chalke valley with visibility, I'm guessing, around 75-100 yards.

The first 12 miles or so is a fairly straightish road with a slight incline so a pretty good warm up (although my hands were as cold as they've been all winter) & the first little climb awaited on the 13 mile mark, a 1.1 mile 6% job which got rid of any chilly bits that I had left, although the downhill into the still persisting fog was still decidedly cold.

A couple of sharp turns & a few miles later a similar little climb awaited at Iwerne Minster & with that dispatched it was all fairly straight forward, travelling along quiet roads & country lanes through countless Wiltshire & East Dorset villages, some of which I was familiar with from my own routes.

The 30 mile mark passed & I took on some food & refilled the bottles at a feed station & was quite happy trundling along at my own pace when I became aware of a wheel sucker. Initially I wasn't too phased but it went on for around 5 miles before he went past & I realized I had been leading a 4 man peloton, now the sensible thing would have been for me to just carry on at my own pace but no, I decide to draught them despite being twice their age & a fair old pace followed as we by-passed Cranbourne & headed up to Rockbourne & a steady 2 mile incline where my legs reminded me I was really going to quickly!!

The final mile was back up the hill we'd come down to start with, which was a bit of a bugger, but with that done it was job done & 67.8 pleasant miles with the sun finally coming out from the fog.

https://www.strava.com/activities/514906349

Ps. Not many photos as you couldn't see much!

IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0721.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0726.JPG

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Fashion update - today was the first time this year that I've put the sunglasses lenses in my cycling specs. :becool:

Out just after 8, with a pass to cycle all day if I wanted to. I'd already decided today would be an ideal chance to get 50 miles in for the Half Century a Month Challenge, but what about adding an extra 12 miles on for a metric century...would I have the legs for it? :bicycle:

Local roads and out to Scholes, then on to Barwick, where I turned right down Long Lane to loop round the long way via Garforth, signaling my intent to get the miles in. Left in Garforth and out on the A642 over the M1 and up to Aberford, through the village and then under the A1(M) and the climb to Lotherton Hall, out towards Sherburn (road still in an appalling condition, although a couple of the worst holes have had a shovel of tarmac thrown in them) before taking the left to Saxton.
Left in the village and out to Barkston Ash, then Church Fenton. Round the airfield to Ryther, then down to Cawood, across the swing bridge and up the flood mile, before taking a new road (to me) down to Riccall. Picked up NCN R65 (the Solar Cycle) for a straight run to York. Very busy in places today, which was nice to see.
Just before York, I encountered a pedestrian numpty - he was wandering aimlessly towards me in the middle of the path, so I slowed right down but despite their being ample room for us both with me being right over to the side of the cycleway, he swerved towards me at the last minute, meaning I had to take to the grass nearly having an off. :dry: Maybe I should have just bounced off him...
Anyhow, onwards and up to the Askham Bar P&R, which was an ideal place for a stop and a photo:
IMG_20160312_102639816.jpg

Back on the bike and on to the A64 cycle path for a quick run down to the A1237, then across the roundabout (no falling off today) and on to Askham Richard then through the various villages, passing loads of cyclists heading the other way - it's amazing the effect a bit of sunshine can have isn't it?
Eventually took the right towards Thorp Arch Trading Estate and intended to stay on this road right through to Wetherby, but after 3 too close passes between the Trading Estate and the road down to Thorp Arch village (a mile?), I did something I swore I'd never do again on the road bike and turned onto NCN R655.
Regular readers wil remember That I slated the narrow path, lumpy surface and amount of debris on here when I rode it last year and nothing has changed, although at least I was away from the numpties in their 4x4's.
Although this is a cycle path I only saw a couple of other cyclists, in amongst loads of dog walkers. Most were OK, I slowed down and we got along fine, but there were a couple of members of the "I'm not moving" brigade about to carefully get around.
Through Dog Poo Tunnel (which now apparently has CCTV installed, and co-incidentally, considerably less dog poo...)under the A1(M) and into Wetherby. Past the Church on the Corner, then the fire station with a quick scoot down the Main Street and down to the Wilderness Car Park in the hope of finding an ice cream van. Sadly there was no ice cream van, so I had an energy bar and took a layer off due to the climbing temperatures, then had 5 minutes while I took a couple of pics:
IMG_20160312_113623632.jpg
IMG_20160312_113636467_HDR.jpg

Back on the bike, up the incline and looped back round and over the bridge, past the police station and then took the NCN R66 cycle path up the hill to Wattlesyke roundabout, before taking the road down to Boston Spa.
Through the village and out the other side before taking Bar Lane to loop back to Clifford, then the fast downhill to Bramham where I took on Town Hill, for no better reason than it's there :whistle: before heading back to R66 and Paradise Way for the run down to Bramham Crossroads.
Across there and despite starting to feel it in my legs I was determined to get the metric century in now, so pushed on to Aberford where the speed check signs were still out, so I was careful not to exceed 30 mph down the hill :whistle:
Right towards Barwick after the bridge and after the quick downhill, the uphill slog that is Cattle Lane. a bit of relief with the downhill to the bridge over Cock Beck, then the seemingly never ending climb up to and through Barwick and I was starting to flag a lot by this point. :heat:
Finally reached the peak of the climb and enjoyed the all too brief downhill to Scholes, where I stopped just after the Coronation Tree - it was no good, for the first time ever I had to break into my emergency supply of Haribo Tangfastic. A quick drink to wash them down and I was ready to go - think Popeye with a tin of spinach.
I barely noticed the slight uphill from there, then the descent down Leeds Road whizzed by. Needing a couple of miles, I added a loop round the Manstons, before heading up towards home, with a final couple of loops to push the mileage up.
Home and had I done it - phone out and Google on screen for a quick miles to km conversion in case another loop around the block was needed - imagine if I was just short after all that effort!!!

62.25 miles (that's 100.1 km) in 4 hrs 29 m at an average of 13.9 mph, with 2172ft climbed. :wahhey: My first metric century in the bag! :cheers:
It was blooming hard work over the last 10 miles or so, but I'm so pleased that i stuck with it and thank goodness I had the Haribo with me ;)

12032016.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I'd already been out this morning with the boy and then my mum, sister el al turned up. After lunch I dropped my sister and her old man into Cambridge so they could watch the rugby, Jo and my mum were up to stuff and the boy had gone chasing girls.... So I went out on my bike!

I did a reverse of yesterday's tandem ride. I saw a pair of buzzards and a pair of kestrels.

This is the front of Great Gransden church
image.jpeg

On yesterday's ride in the opposite direction in Little Gransden I saw something I'd not seen before. In my defence there are trees, 2 right angled bends with gravel to keep an eye on, cottages and traffic. But i'd ridden this road a thousand times...
image.jpeg

Little Gransden church....! I did go up a dead end lane to take this picture, but it's impressive to miss a huge church from any angle!

20 odd miles in warm sun, fingerless mitts on (didn't have my knees out though!)

https://www.strava.com/activities/514988732

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
:notworthy: It feels like spring.
This afternoon, togged up in my long sleeve jersey and bib longs, lighter dressed than normal and out, Peterboro toward Whittlesea. Cyclepath from the Key Theatre to the Millenium Bridge generally ok, but forewarned by a cyclist the path to Whittlesea was severely blocked so I opted for the closed North Bank to Dog in a Doublet. All clear, very quiet, turn right at the end toward Whittlesea...flooded, impassable. Ah well, turn left instead to Thorney. This road was extremely quiet as well. Thorney onto Northborough, Newborough, town and home.

Thoroughly thoroughly enjoyed it, no tiredness or heavy legs, just motored along at a respectable pace, nice and sunny and mild.

28 miles...
Dog in a Doublet looking back to P'boro...looks dark but its because the sun was top middle of photo.
20160312_154228_zpsxppafvfq.jpg

Between the Key Theatre and the Millenium Bridge looking toward Whittlesea...
20160312_153433_zpszpn2udfo.jpg

Oystercatchers seen on that opposite bank, Little Egret on farmland near Newborough, waterfoul everywhere look as happy as can be.

Top Bottom