Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Two days worth of rides to report, as I didn't get time to post yesterday.

Saturday and out early on the road bike with the aim of grabbing a metric half before the weather turned for the worse.
Out on Coal Road and I'd not even made it to Skeltons Lane before it started raining...blooming weather forecasters. :cursing:
Anyhow, pushed on down the hill to Thorner with the raindrops feeling like a million tiny daggers to my face, then out on Milner Lane and the long way round towards Brahmam, taking West Woods Road just before the village and heading into the wind for the ride to Wattlesyke Roundabout. Across there and down the cycleway to Wetherby, passed by a racing snake all in black who squeezed by with no warning. Into Wetnerby and over the bridge, where I passed a couple on a tandem heading the other way. Down Horsefair past the bike shop and then over the A1(M) and on to Walton, down past the YOI and prison on what must be the most poorly maintained road in West Yorkshire. Huge craters in the concrete, many filled with water making them lethal to cyclists - now reported but take care if you're out that way. At least I now had the wind mainly at my back after grinding out the outward part of the ride.
Looped around into Thorp Arch where a police BMW was sat checking the traffic (first time I've seen one there and it's a bit off the beaten track for random checks), over the River Wharf and up into Boston Spa. Quick scoot through the village and on to Clifford, then down to Bramham, tackling Town Hill before picking up NCN R66 / Paradise way for a fairly quick run down to Bramham Crossroads and then on towards Aberford.
On the approach to Aberford there were 'Police Speed Check' signs out, so I took it steady down the hill with the tailwind :whistle:
Realising I might come up a bit short on miles if I took the direct route home, I carried on through Aberford and out to Garforth, then back up Long Lane to Barwick, then Scholes before adding a few extra streets and a loop around then block to get the required distance logged.

32.23 miles (51.87 km) in 2 hrs 20 m at an average of 13.8 mph and 1060 ft climbed. Good to get my metric half in for March nice & early and glad I persevered with it. Sorry no photos as it was too cold to stop. :cold:

05032016.jpg

Sunday is funday (have I said this before?) ^_^ so it was out on the hybrid for some mainly off road fun.
Forecast for today was chilly but bright with sunny intervals. It was cold, but grey and gloomy to start. Is it a co-incidence that Peter Gibbs has been the weekend forecaster on BBC breakfast this weekend..? :scratch:
Anyhow, local roads down to Cross Gates with a few wisps of (unforecast) snow in the air, across the railway line and up the hill to Austhorpe where I decided to add a loop down to Temple Newsam on to add a bit of variety and a couple of extra miles.
I appreciate that the cycle routes around here are shared spaces (and modify my riding style and speed appropriately), so it would be nice if the Sunday strollers would also acknowledge this and play the game, rather than walking three abreast across the full path and looking at you daft when they finally realise that one of them will have to step slightly to one side...:dry:
Anyhow, down to the house where I stopped for a pic and a drink:
IMG_20160306_100759235_HDR.jpg

Back on the bike I retraced my steps back to Colton, then followed NCN R66 to get back up to Austhorpe. It's a good job that I know the route as there are no signs at all directing cyclists which way to go from the edge of the Temple Newsam through Colton and all the way up to the A6120. I'm sure that there used to be signs, but there aren't any now...hardly encouraging is it? And neither is the state of School Lane which is in an appalling condition. I reported this to the council last autumn but if anything it's in even worse condition now. I was glad I was on the hybrid, that's for sure!
Through Thorp Park and onto the bridleway up to the M1 overbridge, then the fast run down to Garforth, which was almost deserted today :hyper:
I decided to stick with R66 and from Garforth headed up Long Lane and then through the woods at Parlington, which were muddy, wet and great fun! ;)
Through the very wet haunted tunnel and out to Aberford, where I rode up to the Almshouses for another drink and a photo:
IMG_20160306_105537755_HDR.jpg

I was just texting Mrs ND to say I was turning for home when a guy on a road bike(!) slowed down to ask if I was OK, which was decent of him (I must have looked more knackered than I felt!)
Anyhow, back on the bike and down the hill retracing my route down R66 through the mud, having a great time sliding about and dodging the potholes, back through the tunnel and down to Long lane, turning right up Nanny Goat Lane past the stables to get onto the (muddy) bridleway for the quick descent down to Manston Lane.
Along there and around Pendas Fields, before heading up to home, with a final little loop to push the mileage on.

19.32 miles in 1 hr 41 m at an average of 11.4 mph with 932 ft climbed. Great fun and a fine way to spend Sunday morning, even if there was a threat of snow in the air all the way round. The bike was absolutely blathered with mud though, so once home it was out with the bike stand for a good clean down and lube. It almost looks like a new bike again ;)

06032016.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Black ice is a state of mind.
I agree ... I crashed on black ice on a New Year's Day ride once and certainly DID mind! :laugh:

I crashed again about 30 minutes later and I minded that too!

Oh, and then I decided to go for the hat-trick and crashed a third time on my way home. My state of mind was that I minded a lot ...

Having had 3 attempts in 1 ride at breaking a hip/pelvis/arm/leg, collarbone (whatever), I decided that I would do my best to give black ice a miss in future! :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had intended to do a half metric century ride today but I called in to have a coffee with my stepdaughter and felt a bit chilled when I set off again. I tried to motivate myself to get the full distance in but was scuppered by the local Boxing Day floods. (Yes, I know it 6th March, but the after-effects linger on ...)

My route: Todmorden, Hebden Bridge, (coffee break), Pecket Well, Old Town, Midgley, Midgley Rd ...

Technically, Midgley Rd was closed due to damage caused by the Boxing Day flooding. A length of retaining wall for the steep road had been washed away by flood water. You know how it is though ... closed to cars, but a cyclist can get through. I rode through a gap in the barrier blocking the top of the road, and began my descent. I had just passed the damaged wall, when I decided to stop and take a few pictures of the damage ...

Midgley Road Boxing Day 2015 flood damage closure.jpg

Ok who stole my retaining wall.jpg

Midgley Road Boxing Day 2015 flood damage.jpg

I started feeling cold as soon as I stopped so after getting back on the bike I was already having doubts about completing my 50 kms. I decided to change my route to something a little more interesting than the Cragg Vale climb from Mytholmroyd, which I ride rather frequently. The new plan was to ride up Scout Rd and climb to Sowerby village, then round some nice lanes to the A58 above Ripponden.

So ... down Midgley Rd, Mytholmroyd, turned left onto Scout Rd, and then more Road Closed signs!

They do not apply to cyclists - 'We Shall Get Through'! I set off up the climb but saw some fencing ahead which looked rather more effective than the usual barriers ... I pulled up and thought 'Yep, that looks pretty closed to me!' :laugh:

There had been a landslide after the Boxing Day deluge. It must have been very scary for the householders on the other side of the wall on the left!

Scout Rd landslip closure.jpg

It looks like the trees had gone right across the road, but have now been cut back. TBH, there doesn't seem any reason why that footpath on the left couldn't be reopened by moving the fencing back a couple of yards. The road up ahead from that white van is open so it was a bit frustrating not being able to get through with my bike. I did consider hopping over the wall on the right and carrying the bike round the blockage, but decided against it ...

Scout Rd landslip.jpg

So ... back down Scout Rd into Mytholmroyd, then turned left and did the Cragg Vale climb. One dodgy overtake on the way up (described in another thread). There was still snow on the ground up on the moors and I thought about stopping again and taking a few more pictures, but was getting too cold, so I got straight on with the descent to Littleborough.

I headed back towards Todmorden, still trying to stir up the enthusiasm for an extra 7 km. I had worked out that I would be on 43 km when I got back. Dodgy overtake #2 was enough to convince me to go home, have a shower and get warm!

43 km/27 miles covered and a couple of big hills. A couple of stupid/reckless/aggressive motorists, cold conditions, and a blocked road slightly marred the ride, but overall it was nice to get out of the house and hit the local hills again - I have been slacking since Christmas and am trying to get my mojo back!

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A really tough ride today. I asked @Trickedem to plot a route to Uckfield climbing over the Ashdown Forest. What I did forget is when TD plots routes, he neglects to check out the elevation, he just plots the route on the roads and worries about the climbing later :whistle:

So myself, Trickedem and @martint235 spent a cold day heading out into Kent and East Sussex. Taking in every climb that could be found in the 50 miles between home and Uckfield. The ride included the climb through and up to Ashdown Forest in the High Weald. A really nice long climb and an even better descent (maxing out at 45mph) Long and fast with great sight lines and for added goodness, the roads down are great.

Halfway stop was at the Poppins Cafe in Uckfield for a nice brunch of a fry up and a pot of tea. Good refueling for the second half of the ride which shouldn't be as hilly as the first. Well.. perhaps not. A few lanes here and there proved to be very tricky... throwing up some surprisingly tough ascents, including a right nasty 19%er. there was no doubt about it, going was slow and tough. but we kept the pedals turning and we kept on cranking out the miles.

After the long drag of Red Hill we said goodbye to TD, leaving myself and Martin to knock out the remaining up and down miles to home. More miles for Martin then for me and by this time we were both bushed. The climbing taking it's toll.

A great but very hard ride. A cold day but we had some sun, we had some rain and a few flakes of snow but at least the winds were light.
For the 3 of us, that knocks out March's Imperial challenge ride.

108 miles on the clock. Century # 6 for the year, #172 over all, and a future Eddington number for good measure.

Cold but sunny 8am on the Pilgrims Way
20160306_081339s.jpg

Ashdown Forest
20160306_104508s.jpg

Ashdown Forest
20160306_104449s.jpg

Atop Ashdown Forest
20160306_105330s.jpg

060316.jpg

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
A really tough ride today. I asked @Trickedem to plot a route to Uckfield climbing over the Ashdown Forest. What I did forget is when TD plots routes, he neglects to check out the elevation, he just plots the route on the roads and worries about the climbing later :whistle:

So myself, Trickedem and @martint235 spent a cold day heading out into Kent and East Sussex. Taking in every climb that could be found in the 50 miles between home and Uckfield. The ride included the climb through and up to Ashdown Forest in the High Weald. A really nice long climb and an even better descent (maxing out at 45mph) Long and fast with great sight lines and for added goodness, the roads down are great.

Halfway stop was at the Poppins Cafe in Uckfield for a nice brunch of a fry up and a pot of tea. Good refueling for the second half of the ride which shouldn't be as hilly as the first. Well.. perhaps not. A few lanes here and there proved to be very tricky... throwing up some surprisingly tough ascents, including a right nasty 19%er. there was no doubt about it. Going was slow and tough. bet we kept the pedals turning and we kept on cranking out the miles.

After the long drag of Red Hill we said goodbye to TD, leaving myself and Martin to knock out the remaining up and down miles to home. More miles for Martin then for me and by this time we were both bushed. The climbing taking it's toll.

A great but very hard ride. A cold day but we had some sun, we had some rain and a few flakes of snow at least the winds were light.

108 miles on the clock. Century # 6 for the year, #172 over all, and a future Eddington number for good measure.

View attachment 120954

Ashdown Forest
View attachment 120955

Ashdown Forest
View attachment 120956

Atop Ashdown Forest
View attachment 120957

View attachment 120958

Will you break 200 100s this year?

tfg71

Took my mtb out for a spin this am. First time out since August (3 months post heart attack). Set my Garmin 200 for 5 mile alert so I could do 10 round trip. Eventually got my breathing sorted out and now realise I will have to readjust my setup as was getting pins and needles in hands. Was happy though and did manage 11.49miles all in 59mins. Might try same route again with my road bike and see what the difference is . Thighs felt like jelly when I got off bike at home but coffee and home made black bottom cupcake sorted it. Overall I am chuffed as it is a good starting point and going forward can only get better.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Nice to get the RT-58 out for a change, and with limited time I did a quick (for me) ride out through Lyne, Chobham, Virginia Water and home. 18.1 miles at an average speed of 15.7mph.

Osprey

Guru
A brilliant sunny morning but a cold North easterly wind and temperatures hovering around 2 degrees made for quite a hard ride. I chose a nice flat ride out around the Loughor estuary down the North Gower coast and up the Carmarthenshire coast through Gowerton, Loughor, Llanelli, Burry Port, and a loop around Pembrey Country Park before joining the coastal Route 4 cycleway back. 34 flat enjoyable miles in the sunshine. Roll on the spring weather.
upload_2016-3-6_20-17-49.png

IMG_20160305_092917.jpg

Route 4 Cycle way near Pembrey.

martint235

Dog on a bike

Halfway stop was at the Poppins Cafe in Uckfield for a nice brunch of a fry up and a pot of tea. Good refueling for the second half of the ride which shouldn't be as hilly as the first. Well.. perhaps not. A few lanes here and there proved to be very tricky... throwing up some surprisingly tough ascents, including a right nasty 19%er. there was no doubt about it. Going was slow and tough. bet we kept the pedals turning and we kept on cranking out the miles.

A great but very hard ride. A cold day but we had some sun, we had some rain and a few flakes of snow at least the winds were light.

View attachment 120954

Ashdown Forest
View attachment 120955

Ashdown Forest
View attachment 120956

Atop Ashdown Forest
View attachment 120957

View attachment 120958
I still rate myself as a climber but that was a tough day.( It's already fading as the endomorphins kick in (and the 8.5% beer)

Two rides to report.

Forgot to put yesterdays up(actually too busy watching all the cycling on telly)but was a pretty hard-ish run-out in what was shall we say changeable weather.

Started clouding up before I left and during the ride had a 'nice' mix of sun,rain and hail;to compound things the 520 had re-set itself after the last sync so I had to go through the set-up menu,also the HRM alert set itself too low and kept going off and even after I'd turned it off in the menu it still kept bleeping whenever it went over 166.

Still as said ebove a good tempo ride and a nice work-out to replace the club ride that was cancelled the day before;

https://www.strava.com/activities/510136643

Today's was a short hop from Waterbeach as I was late getting up this morning;nice easy roll in on a nice,bright crisp morning;

https://www.strava.com/activities/510716180

Top Bottom