Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks like fun! You were unlucky with the rain. I was down your way yesterday; Bag Lane, Litledales Lane, Mill Lane and it was lovely. Shorts for first time this year
Mill lane leads to Norley Rd and you were all of about 150m from my lane! You should have called for a drink!
I was out yesterday as well... was nice. I'm trying to get out on the trike every morning and walk every evening instead of walking morning and evening... if that makes sense. cycling is a lot easier than walking...now I have the trike and can balance that is! I can also finally do the "look no hands!" routine... :biggrin:

davdandy

46 miles yesterday.I have done sod all training over Winter and it showed.I was hurting half way and knackered.My fault i know.But i also know that it will be put right in the upcoming weeks.Just glad to be back in the saddle.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
28 miles yesterday. The first time since last October i've ridden without a skull cap,overshoes,and a long sleeved jersey. I was tempted to let the old legs see the sun but that wind was a stiff one so i kept the longs on.
I did a 26 mile ride in similar conditions and decided to omit my long sleeved jacket, and wear a gilet instead. I took a chance on my 3/4 length Humvees to give my legs some sun. I wear long support socks at home so it was the first time for months that my calves have been exposed other than at bath times. It was warm enough because the wind was coming from south of west and so had lost the cold bite it has had recently.

I took advantage of the wind to help me on the climb from Littleborough again. I reckon it made a difference of about 5 gear teeth at the back. I was spinning away happily in gears that would normally be a grind on that climb.

It was definitely spring-like ... warmer, brighter, and I saw crocusses on a grass verge on the ride home. It remained light for the post-ride chat and mugs of tea in my back yard. On winter afternoons, that yard is in the shadow of the nearby hill to the west but the sun is now high enough to shine down into the yard until about 5 pm and it isn't getting dark until gone 6 pm.

Another couple of weeks until the clocks go forward and we do my spring forum ride [+++ For details, follow my signature link below and JOIN US!] - yay! :smile:

Last edited:
Another couple of weeks until the clocks go forward and we do my spring forum ride [+++ For details, follow my signature link below and JOIN US!] - yay! :smile:
I can only join you if you have a tow rope! I will probably only be able to manage 10km on my own... 1/10th of what is needed... so tow rope or sadly a no show this time around! Perhaps I will do an Autumn one when I can manage some more distance!

ColinJ

I can only join you if you have a tow rope! I will probably only be able to manage 10km on my own... 1/10th of what is needed... so tow rope or sadly a no show this time around! Perhaps I will do an Autumn one when I can manage some more distance!
I am hoping to organise a 200 km forum ride in Cheshire in the summer. Obviously it isn't likely that you would be up for the full distance by then, but with luck you could join us for some of the ride?

I have not decided on the route yet. We might choose an audax 'permanent' route, or just do it as an unofficial audax-like ride, sticking to a minimum of 15 kph average speed, but not bothering to do the 'paperwork'.

Freds Dad

Veteran
I got out yesterday and did this https://www.strava.com/activities/264483024
It was very windy on the way out but it helped push me up Pexhill Road on the way home. A beautiful sunny day and I stopped for a while to watch a TT round Goostrey.

Had planned to go out today but its pouring down. A few miles next Saturday afternoon and then this on Sunday http://www.cyclosport.org/event/15-Mar-2015/UK/torelli-jodrell-bank-classic-sportive.html
I'm down for the 26 mile route as I don't think I'm up to 50 miles yet. Anyone of here taking part?

D

Deleted member 23692

The wind's died down a bit compared to yesterday and I got the chance to squeeze in my usual 14 mile 'round the block' loop.... it's actually a triangle :smile: So depending which side I'm on I either get a head wind, tail wind or cross wind.

It was the first time I've had chance to try the new 1x10 drive train out too. There's very little off road on this loop, but it's nicely varied and It's something I've ridden loads of times so I can get a good feel as to how a bike's doing.

In short.. it's superb. The changes are flawless and I'm now never far from the gear I want next. I did wonder how much I'd miss the higher ratio(s) now there's no big ring, and looking at the info logged by my Garmin, it doesn't look like it makes any tangible difference. It makes me wonder what those other 20 gears were for!

Photo by the River Caldew...

10x_zpsrwhck1vv.jpg

And a map (which you've all probably seen before)

full.png

Simontm

Veteran
Just a 22 miler this morning. Mix of track - the Hinchley Wood and Princes Coverts - and road- Leatherhead to Effingham, to Cobham - home. Lovely weather, fingerless gloves and just a normal short sleeve top over the base layer.

Ride marginally marred by a group of Kingston Wheelers. Fine overtake, you're going faster but don't overtake as if I am part of a bloody race, leave me some space. You have no idea how I cycle, I could veer out at the slightest hint of a pothole! Also. Last p...idiot In your peloton? Don't yell "yahoo" in my ear as you pass. Bloody rude.

So I did what most insane people with a split gear cable and only one working cog would do... I kept in sight of them, then overtook them on a sprint start at the lights :whistle:^_^

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I did a 26 mile ride in similar conditions and decided to omit my long sleeved jacket, and wear a gilet instead. I took a chance on my 3/4 length Humvees to give my legs some sun. I wear long support socks at home so it was the first time for months that my calves have been exposed other than at bath times. It was warm enough because the wind was coming from south of west and so had lost the cold bite it has had recently.

I took advantage of the wind to help me on the climb from Littleborough again. I reckon it made a difference of about 5 gear teeth at the back. I was spinning away happily in gears that would normally be a grind on that climb.

It was definitely spring-like ... warmer, brighter, and I saw crocusses on a grass verge on the ride home. It remained light for the post-ride chat and mugs of tea in my back yard. On winter afternoons, that yard is in the shadow of the nearby hill to the west but the sun is now high enough to shine down into the yard until about 5 pm and it isn't getting dark until gone 6 pm.

I'm thinking about joining in but i'll probably be the one slowing the others down. What do you reckon?

I am hoping to organise a 200 km forum ride in Cheshire in the summer. Obviously it isn't likely that you would be up for the full distance by then, but with luck you could join us for some of the ride?
It depends on what the new consultant says and how well I recover. Not to mention how close you come to my home if I'm still not able to travel by then!
But if you come close enough and I do know of an exceptionally good café (that even has vegan options available or did all of the other times we have been there) then you never know!

ColinJ

I'm thinking about joining in but i'll probably be the one slowing the others down. What do you reckon?
Come along! Honestly, we are not quick - the slow group took well over 8 hours to do the ride last year. (About 8 mph average speed.)

If there are enough riders, there might be a quickish group, but I will definitely be in a slow group going at the speed of the slowest rider.

13 rider

Guru
Set off from Anstey to meet mate in Rothley via Cropston, only two of us today me on my hybrid and mate on a CX bike so a chance for a bit of off road as missing mate rides a roadie and he does not like the dirt. So off through Swithland and left at the triangle up the short sharp climb and left at the crossroads down pass the golf course and on to beacon crossroads swung left then right on to Charley rd out to Oaks in charnwood right through the village and up past St Bernard's Abbey and then right on to the lovely descent of swannymote rd on to ncn6 round the back of Shepshed this time stayed on ncn6 and on to Loughborough round the dirt tracks of Garanden estate into the housing estate in Loughborough .wiggled through the estate on cycle paths both tarmac and dirt and on to the A512 Shepshed rd turned right at the lights on to Snell's nook lane then on to breakback rd a very lumpy rd then on to Quorn then Mountsorrell where mates heads home and set off the other way .Stopped at the top of a hill to wipe the rain of my glasses when I got passed by a guy on a mountain bike with a nearly flat rear.As I was catching him I could see the tyre getting flatter.just as I caught him he stopped I pulled over to offer assistance .he said he had just pulled a thorn out of the tyre and he was nearly home .Offer the use of my pump as he did not have one!! .but he was sure he wouldn't pump up .offered to help change the tube but he didn't carry a spare !!!! .offer him my tube but we both thought it would not fit I run 35 mm and he had fat boy tyres .left him to walk about a mile home can't believe people go out with no way of repairing minor faults. Anyway back towards home as the drizzle got worst headed home via Rothley then Thurcaston managed the climb to home on the middle ring used to have to use bottom gear so I must be getting fitter . 36.5 miles done and got home just as it started to rain good timing .but wondering where the sunshine of yesterday went which prompted me to order shorts and short sleeve top ready for summer riding in the drizzle was a pain as I had to keep stopping to clean my glasses so I could see where I was going

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Come along! Honestly, we are not quick - the slow group took well over 8 hours to do the ride last year. (About 8 mph average speed.)

If there are enough riders, there might be a quickish group, but I will definitely be in a slow group going at the speed of the slowest rider.

My main worry about long rides is if i have a puncture. My close up vision is poor therefore i need someone to change tubes for me. If someone could do it for me(i'll have my own tubes and mini pump) i'd be happy to come along!

Top Bottom