Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex H

Legendary Member
The sun is shining (so I won't get wet), the chasse season (hunting) has finished (so I won't get shot) and it's the first suitable day since the end of November :wacko: (My name is Alex and I am a fair weather cyclist :rolleyes:)

You can see my house from here;

P3070002.JPG

The lake at St. Cyr is still there :whistle:

P3070003.JPG

And they are still trying to sell building plots - a snip at 4€ / sq.m

P3070004.JPG

25km in just over an hour.

Wildlife report;

Buzzards - 2. One who flew over me from behind and then perched in a tree 20m away, defying me to try and take it's photo
Woodpeckers - heard 1, seen 0.

Bees - 3
Butterflies - 5

Deer - 1 dead in a ditch, probably hit by a motor vehicle :sad:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Went out for a quick spin on my Focus Cayo Di2 this afternoon. Picked up my missus's usual 6 mile training block on the way back home. She usually comes back huffing and puffing after a good workout on it.
Hadn't the heart to tell her that I just knocked 9 minutes off her best time around it, this year. :giggle:

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Dry & quite sunny down here so it was time to give Roubaix 2 a proper ride with some decent mileage so I can take her in for the first free service at the LBS with some good road time.

What I hadn't factored in though was the pesky wind which as a crosswind was airing on down right dangerous as I fought my way across the exposed forest towards my planned sortie into Wiltshire.

The first 8 or 9 miles weren't too bad as there was plenty of tree cover but upon reaching the highest point in the New Forest at Pipers Wait (a massive 440 odd feet) the landscape changes to heath land so the next 8 miles was a battle with the southwesterly wind until reaching the reasonable shelter of the market town of Fordingbridge.

Now into Wiltshire, the scenery changes again to farmland & small hamlets so at least there is some shelter from the hedgerows as I make my way along the bumpy country lanes in the middle of pig country & towards Broad Chalke. Once there I finally pick up a tailwind & head east towards the village of Coombe Blissett before turning back into the wind & onto the home leg, through Rockbourne, back through Fordingbridge then across the forest again.

60.4 miles in total & I did consider making it the metric ton but to be honest I was all winded out!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/264280837

001.JPG

Pigs, as far as the eye can see. :mrpig::mrpig:

003.JPG

I'm guessing Martin is the local boy racer then!

004.JPG

The view at the top of the Howgare Road always make the climb worth while.

005.JPG

Roubaix 2 enjoying the view.

009.JPG

The river Ebble at Broad Chalke, one of the many tributaries to the river Avon.

mooseracer

Guru
What a day for a ride! :sun:

Sadly a little way off yet but I did - a) manage to have a shower today for the first time in 3 and a half weeks and b) sit outside in the beautiful spring sunshine. I also looked at my bikes in the shed and attempted the 'leg over the saddle ' movement to see how far off I am. Couple of weeks I reckon yet :cursing:

Oh and c) had a glass of wine while Mrs Moose was out for a 17 miler :bicycle:

Two rides to report.

First,forgot to put this on on Thursday but had a good ride home after bunking off work on Thursday with a smakk stop at a nursery to check what trees they had;

https://www.strava.com/activities/263435825

And today was club run day which I then added on to to get 100kms up;had to do a quick circuit round a nearby village as I had miscalculated but pleased with my first 199k of he year;

https://www.strava.com/activities/264351304

Oh and nicely done Satnav;:bravo:that trike looks well smart:becool:.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Not been on for a while. My black dog has decided to have a grow and has overshadowed everything else.

Today I kicked myself up the arse and took my bike (and Hubsters bike, and Hubster for that matter), to the car and then drove the car to Cart Gap and decided not to pay and display and the formerly free car park and drove down the road for 100 yards onto the Bush Estate and parked at a wide bit. I spent summers just down the road at the privately owned static caravan site. My parents bought a 'van there in about '69 and I had hols down there for all of my childhood. Every weekend from Easter to October half term, when we were in the country, and the vast majority of the summer hols with mother. We were barely in the caravan, mostly in the sea or running about the area.
DSCF7467.jpg
DSCF7468.jpg
Once on the bikes, we rode up to the carpark to start the GPS as I had put in a route to my garmin, then rode back down the potholed dirt road, past the car and through the estate to the caravan site, then along the sand road at the side of it. Hubs' bike didn't like the sand and spat him into a hedge, twice. My bike, Eric, was much better behaved. Then again, he's a much better bike. Hub's not happy. Down more of a sand road to 'The Pond'
DSCF7469.jpg
When I was a kid, I was playing in the pond and sliced my foot open on something sharp in there. 42 stitches later, it was fixed. The Gypsies were about for the crop picking season and one of them carried me back to the family caravan. Nice chap. My parent's took them a huge tin of bicces to say thank you.

Anyway. Digressing. We followed the dirt then metalled road to Sea Palling and then on to Waxham where I stopped so Hubster could see the Great Barn.
DSCF7470.jpg
This was restored after a lot of local fund raising. That thatch took a fair bit of paying for.

We carried on until the Garmin had a fit and bleeped crossly at us as we were off course :ohmy: shock horror. The route was up a dirt track marked 'strictly private', 'no admittance' and 'this means you'. I meant to take a pic but was looking at the garmin map for a re-route. We carried on for a mile and when there was no right turn in sight, turned back, past the narky turning and back to Sea Palling and kept going along the road towards Lessingham and past the WWII pillbox there. It looks quite pretty.
DSCF7473.jpg

Once at Lessingham, Hubsters legs were aching already so we headed to Hempstead and the thatched church. Which is heavily scaffolded around the back.
DSCF7476.jpg
Then up Beach Road, which is now adopted. It was a cart track when I was a kid. We loved riding up and down it on our bikes. Parents not so keen as they had to buy job lots of plasters for our knees and elbows. We stopped at the Eccles Pillbox.
DSCF7477.jpg and then back through the Bush Estate to the car. I rode up to Cart Gap car park to finish the route, then back to the car.

We packed the bikes in the car and then went to see the sea. Rude not to really. Beach is looking towards Happisburgh (Pronounced Hayz-brugh obviously)
DSCF7486.jpg

Nice ride. 10.5mph pootle with a mahoosive 68' of climing. I don't know how we coped as we didn't take oxygen or anything with us. We got up to 24' above sea level and as low as 14' below sea level. Happily we were inland and not swimming. 13.49 miles in the sun. Not an ice-cream van in sight. They'd have done well at Cart Gap today. We did notice a new cafe there though. Something sticks cafe. It's not been there long. I don't remember it the year before last when I was last there.

Katherine

Guru
That looks a great ride, Saluki - well done :smile:

The write up really made me smile.
Me too :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Note to self: Never, ever, ever again say that once Jan and Feb are out of the way the rides should get easier.:wacko:

I've been looking at the forecasts for today with trepidation all week due to the wind speeds that were showing (mostly 20 gusting to 40+) and in the end decided to just go for it and try to get the March century in. Usually I'd have gone for the "easy" option and done the not too hilly route round North Shropshire but the wind direction didn't really suit that as whichever way round I went the wind would be hindering more than helping.

I decided to try something new so at about 7.15 headed out for a loop of South Shropshire with a bit of border hopping into Powys and Herefordshire thrown in. Not having done this particular route before I wasn't 100% sure it would be 100 miles so I headed for town first and a trip through The Quarry before heading out towards Montford Bridge and Great Ness where I turned towards the wind for the first time and it felt like I'd put the brakes on.

Picking a lower gear and trying to take it easy I plodded on to Melverley, which wasn't too bad. Westbury was next which was where it got properly difficult as the next 12 miles to Montgomery were directly into the wind and very hard going. I was still trying to pace myself as there was a long way to go and was doing 10mph at best on the flat and down to about half this on the climbs. It was a pretty cold wind at this point as well which didn't help. I got overtaken by another rider on this section who also seemed to be slow against the wind, but obviously not as slow as me. She passed me again going the other way near to Montgomery having clearly got there and had her cafe stop. That put things into perspective a bit.:cry:

After a stop to eat in Montgomery I headed for Bishop's Castle. The muscles round my left knee were stiffening up after the stop which didn't help progress even with the wind helping a bit on this section. The sun had come out by now and there are some fantastic views along this road which lifted my mood a bit. I didn't stop long in Bishop's Castle but continued onto new ground for me towards Lydbury North and Kempton before taking the back roads to Leintwardine. There is more good scenery on this section and the roads were really quiet which I liked.

Again at Leintwardine I wanted to keep moving as I knew there was a big climb into the Mortimer Forest coming up. This was slow but steady, although the wind was behinde me again which helped. I was running a bit low on energy on this climb so stopped near the top for a bite before continuing over towards Ludlow. I didn't go into the town but turned off towards Bromfield and past the Ludlow Food Centre (and Islabikes)

With the wind helping I made much better progress to Seifton Batch where the climb seemed easier than I expected, even in my tired state. This was good as getting over Wenlock Edge had been daunting me a bit. On the other side, the tail-wind really made an impression and I was swept along to Wall, Longville and Hughley, cruising at around 20 for long stretches and getting up to 32mph on the way :hyper: On this section I was unsure whether I'd got my mileage calculations right so added an extra loop towards Harley before doubling back towards Acton Burnell and heading for Condover, then home.

A bloody hard ride but I did just over 104 miles to claim my imperial century and averaged 11.6mph (moving), although the overall time was a less impressive 10 hours, 15 minutes when stops are taken into account.

Some minor highlights; a close encounter with a buzzard down one of the lanes, I saw my first butterfly of the season, passed the participants of the monthly Ludlow Tweed Ride and the bike is very nearly as clean at the end of the ride as it was at the start ^_^ (for the first time in months).

DSC0002047.jpg

Oi, Hercules, lend us your legs for a bit.

DSC0002048.jpg

The Breidden from near Nesscliffe. Wish the photo could give an impression of how windy it was.

DSC0002053.jpg

Montgomery.

DSC0002056.jpg

Bishop's Castle

DSC0002061.jpg

Climbing up into the Mortimer Forest. The sky has cleared and the wind is now behind me - I can enjoy the ride at last.

DSC0002062.jpg

The view from the top.

DSC0002064.jpg

Looking out over Ludlow

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I fixed the Trek 800, a serious brake problem with the return springs after a season of winter riding, then took it for a 10 mile cross country ramble to the supermarket and return with potatoes and oleo, along with a lettuce, and a soba noodle bowl. Got to 50f today, or a little better than 9C, pretty good considering it only got up to 28f yesterday with a low of 2 F, and that was a warmer day than many we've had recently. Nothing worth taking pictures of, though.

contadino

Veteran
A lovely ride this morning. A bit blustery, and when the sun went behind a cloud it was a bit parky, but on the whole hugely enjoyable. The new Tenn cycling top - my first winter top - was probably about spot on with just a decathlon base layer underneath - maybe a bit chilly leaving home but you soon warm up. New pedals are a bit stiffer to unclip than the old ones which lead to a near dunking on a flooded lane, and plenty of angry little rat-like dogs trying to nip at my ankles. I tried a new circuit with a bit more climbing that to date...and still had 'some in the tank when I got home.'

http://jeremy.contadini.co.uk/flooding-hills-and-little-dogs-with-big-attitudes/

Ride 3 on the trike.

I had company today. My OH dug his mountain bike out of hibernation and joined me on my ride. It was the usual slow start and a yell of bike on the narrow section... I returned this with a yell of trike! I needed the oncoming cyclist to know that the space as nowhere near as wide as he thought... skidding followed on his half as he ground to a halt - the route had been clear when I started, but it is blind at one point. We passed without incident finally.... He had caught sight of the flag over the hedgerow! So it seems it does serve a purpose! At the top of the rise I stopped to sort out my headrest. It was in the wrong place after moving the seat back into a more reclining position and was no longer supporting my head. My OH took this opportunity to give everyone motion sickness, so I apologise now!

IMG_2069b.JPG

From there is was up to the mere and a touch further. I wanted to make sure I could get through the barriers across the route... there are quite a few of them along the Whitegate Way and one in particular we think I will not be able to do, but that is some distance off yet and I was able to get through the gap without issue... It also provided a really useful area to do a U turn, so I now know I don't need to get off the trike to turn it around. On the way back we met a lovely husky who worked out I was exactly the right height to say hello to! Good thing I am not afraid of dogs and this one then decided he would prefer to run along side me than stay with his owner! Cue a stopping for owner to call said Husky back, but not before we had a really good hello and another stroke!

IMG_2070b.JPG

The drizzle that had started early on was now turning more to rain. I think I will have to investigate waterproof options more thoroughly for a trike. Back at home and clothing in the tumble drier. My view of the rain! Home just in time I think....

IMG_2073b.JPG

7.1km in a record breaking 42 minutes... an average of 10kph! At least I am in double figures now.:laugh: Still good to get out :biggrin:
https://www.strava.com/activities/264677547

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The drizzle that had started early on was now turning more to rain. I think I will have to investigate waterproof options more thoroughly for a trike. Back at home and clothing in the tumble drier. My view of the rain! Home just in time I think....

View attachment 81868

7.1km in a record breaking 42 minutes... an average of 10kph! At least I am in double figures now.:laugh: Still good to get out :biggrin:
https://www.strava.com/activities/264677547

Looks like fun! You were unlucky with the rain. I was down your way yesterday; Bag Lane, Litledales Lane, Mill Lane and it was lovely. Shorts for first time this year

Top Bottom