Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dark46

Veteran
Went out with the KCC today. No @Donger today.

We had a new guy turn up today who has been coming to the map reading meetings on a Thursday night. While we were chatting about where we were going to go someone came up to us and now is coming along next week.
Also @Largie003 came for only his second ride this year. We also had a couple of others that hadn't been for a couple. A special mention must go to Andy who hasn't been with the club since July due to being knocked off.

We decided to head north towards Maisemore but instead of going straight across over roundabout with went left towards Chepstow, I was in the front at this time and was being coached by @gordyfinbar about signals and warnings that should be given out. Then at the lights we turned right towards Highleadon. After going through the first village we hung right towards Red Marley. It was good to be off the main roads as we could then ride two abreast. It was while along this road that Berney was having problems with a arm and decided to head for home.

We just kept heading north till we hit a road that we recognised then headed towards Tewkesbury. As per normal when we head to Tewkesbury we hit headwind and mild rain on the way back.

In Tewkesbury there was a nice blue Ferrari 512BB which you really don't see very often these days.

As we headed south on the A38 the wind grew stronger and again it became a pain.

@gordyfinbar disappeared with 2 others, Andy and @Largie003 and i lost touch and I noticed that @Largie003 was struggling and i waited for him so that noone was dropped off and having problems. we carried down the A38 into Gloucester City centre and then took a less direct route so that we encountered less pedestrians. Coming back on to the Bristol Road waiting at some lights the other 3 riders came up behind us.

From there it was just a straight run down the A38 on to the estate.

All in all a good ride and 41.6 miles covered at a average speed at 15 mph.

fatjel

Veteran
@SatNavSaysStraightOn so good to see you out again . I had similar problems 9 years ago and took me 3 years to get back on a bike.

Done a lot of miles this week so treated myself to a short ride by Rye Harbour on the new MTB.. Was properly windy https://app.strava.com/activities/265023349

1_zpszofjwyug.jpg

Dawn broke on my return to the saddle after being struck down with that well know disease lazyness. Had kind of half arranged to hook up with a mate on his electric bike and go for a wee trip but judging by some of his texts through the week he wasn't the keenest, so it was no surprise this morning when he called off citing ' too much to do'. So off i went out trying to dodge the rain showers and headwinds. Try to break myself in easy i headed along the Burghill and then left up the Aldbar Hill ( so much for the easy breaking in ) Headed past Blackden and found myself through Pitkenedy and a wee fluid intake stop. Feeling pretty jiggered i took the decision to head back the same route , a decision i was to regret as the headwind was a crazy workout on its own. Got back to base having done 14 miles, tired but happy. It was then announced that WE were off to Dundee shopping . I would have rather been out in that headwind. Working late tomorrow but will try to get out after work from Tuesday onwards even for 5 miles or so just to start building me up. Ride safe everyone, the lighter nights are a coming. Just add this. My teenage daughter has asked me if she can come out for runs with me in the lighter nights. Result as teens dont often want to be seen with their parents.

Last edited:
Living in Rutland has many advantages, first and foremost as a cyclist, the number of country lanes available to us is huge so when we went out today on yet another new route [this after living here for almost 5 years] and found an amazing cafe it made for a great ride. The cafe had mouth watering cakes, armchair seating, really good coffee [according to dr_pink] and lovely friendly staff, it was all so good that we will be taking the CC ride there [see informal rides] on 18/19th April. I digress, the one thing that had not changed for a very long time was the wind, we are really looking forward to a sunny windless day. Anyone else noticed the proliferation of snowdrops this year? I don't remember ever seeing this many before. The route took us through a dozen or so chocolate box villages and despite the weather looking a bit ropey we saw plenty of other cyclists out, mainly in ones and twos. We must look really retro, cotton caps and no gears, in this part of the world at least we have never seen anyone else like us [perhaps just as well].
No great distance, just 50 miles of relatively easy riding, if you want to experience this ride join us next month.

howdenbiker

Cycled out with Selby CC today, cycled to the met at Selby Abbey before heading out to Allerthorpe with the wind behind me and we kept up a steady 17/18mph. The return was marked by a headwind and rain, a damp end. However completed my first ever 100km ride and at an average speed of 16mph. I am third from the left.
Pocklington.jpg

I took the Rossin out today, it is a lovely cruiser!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Got out for a 6.7 mile spin today on the old Trek, lovely weather, if somewhat brisk and breezy.
Farm%20with%20pines_edited-1_zpsmhgmwcku.jpg

thetribe

Über Member
Due to youngest daughter coming home to attend a wedding yesterday and us promising to drop her back at Uni today the wife and I didn't get out together as is our usual attempt for a Sunday. When we got back home she gave me a job list and said if I got done I could go out, bloody manipulative these women, however I got them done while she was at Asda :whistle:

Just a blowy 16miles up the coast and back at 14mph. Must have been some bird worth seeing at the local ponds judging by the amount of cars parked nearby and stopped along the road, most with cameras and huge lenses or binoculars. Didn't stop on the way out to find out as the wind was in my face and I had momentum, didn't stop on the way back just said "weeeee" as the wind helped me along ;)

http://www.strava.com/activities/265028047

maltloaf

Kingsway cycling club Sunday ride, my first in a few weeks because of commitments and my 100k last Saturday but it was nice to see everyone. @Donger was missed but I'm sure he'll be back soon.

We headed north out of Gloucester for a change, we usually head south because it's easier to get out of town that way so it was nice to see some new roads.

With a tail wind, the pace started really briskly and after a few miles we had clocked up a 17-18 mph average. It took me around 5 miles to get going properly but I was in the groove then and loving it.

We meandered our way north for a while with no set route, just taking whatever turn we fancied through pendock and red marley until we hit Tewkesbury and the roads became a bit more familiar.

With just over 20 miles already on the clock and half of the group needing to be back in just over an hour, we turned back for Gloucester and into the head wind.

The weather began to turn a bit plus the time constraints we had so we decided to head straight down the busy A38 rather than take our usual back roads etc.

We pushed on a bit and I was now enjoying the quicker than usual pace. Three of us were working well together even against the wind and pushing 20-21 constantly until we realised we had dropped part of the group so sat at Coombe hill waiting for them.

When they hadn't arrived after ten minutes, we thought they must have turned off so our little wind eating train set off again. Turning another quick section back towards Longford.

We got back to Kingsway having done a very nice 42 miles and turning a decent 16.2 average. That was the best I have felt on a bike for weeks!

Last edited:
Just back from ride 4 on my trike...

There was a definite chill in the air this morning, so woolly hat and gloves were most certainly the order of the day. :cold: Coat zipped but and mirrors moved to the "helping handles" as they are politely referred to (the bars that all me to get in and out of the seat) and B adjuster screw set to its other limit (nope it hasn't cured the inner chainring chain slip issue) and we are ready to roll... straight into dog muck! yuck.. I've just realised how much closer to the wheel you are on a recumbent trike! I was that busy avoiding one lot that I failed to see the other lot! but at least the mud that was coming cleaned it all off again!

The up and on to the bench where the light in the clouds over the fields deserved a photo, but sadly I didn't had my camera with me... I had made a mental note to take it, but somehow it never made it downstairs for some reason! So the smartphone camera which has an issue had to do...

DSC_0011.JPG

Yep - its a touch dark and gloomy out. But here's another picture of my trike. As you can just about see the mirrors are better on the helping handles than where they were before on the steering arms, so that's a good start. Just got to work on the water bottle cage and the bar bag now. Job for another day I think.

DSC_0012.JPG

Then onwards and off to find the muddy patch around the scout camp. that is always the difficult patch and today was no exception. Rear wheel spin! Ahhhh oops. never mind, someone discretely trying to photo the trike - they could just ask! then up to the mere and an encounter with 2 chocolate labs and 1 black lab and a chat with a very nice lady. We met her yesterday as well, so today she was curious as to where my OH was... then up to the turn around point and back downhill all the way now. Its taken nearly 30 mins to get out, but will only take 15 mins to get home again, due to the gradient!

One advantage of being on a trike is that I can easily take photos whilst cycling... though I may still have to work on my steering a touch because we do seem to drift a little...:whistle: Oh and I have moved the steering levers a touch closer to the seat after someone on the recumbent trike forum reminded me they are adjustable! so now they are closer and I don't have to reach as much. I had totally forgotten I could easily adjust them with the QR levers! :wacko:

DSC_0014.JPG

Busy today!

7.2km today in 45 minutes :eek: . not going to set any world records, but still getting out there. :heat: And I managed to get out before the rain arrived!
https://www.strava.com/activities/265388515

Top Bottom