Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:smile: Worth a try.

I'm really pleased for you that this is working out though.
just need to sort out some lower (and higher) gears so that I can use the road to get out of the end of my lane and get further afield, like the chemist and the dr's etc... hopefully a long reach derailuer will do the job... dropped the seat back one more level today (or rather my OH did for me) and that seems a touch better as well because I feel like I have a touch more 'power' to push on the pedals on the uphills if that makes sense... now to sort out things like water bottles, lights and waterproofs...

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, posted today.
An early morning ride was planned with a mate yesterday morning, so I'd prepped the bike and changed the batteries in the lights ready for the off. Sadly I didn't finish w*rk until 01:00 so the stupid o'clock start was postponed until a more sensible hour. I ended up leaving at about 08:45.

I set out over to Sywell Aerodrome and through the villages before dropping into Wilby on the old A4500.

DSC_0622.JPG

Doddington Road, leading from Wilby towards Hardwater Road is a bit of a tester, especially as the wind was stronger than I'd expected. Silly me, believing the weather forecast <DOH>

DSC_0623.JPG

Durn fine feshly ground coffee. Well, if a chap from Brazil can't make proper coffee, who can!! After this pitstop, we used a few miles of the Brampton Valley Way to get to the bridleway from Merry Tom crossing into Brixworth village, The ride down the Eastern bank of Pitsford Res was straight into the wind, as usual and we were lucky to manage 5 mph at some points.

We had plans to meet up with another chap at Pitsford just before midday for a chat and a further pedal around the area, so stopped to text him or whereabouts in case he was wanting to join up with us. The café there was heaving, so we didn't bother with any more refreshments, and headed off into the drizzle across the dam wall and Pitsford village.

DSC_0625 (2).JPG

My last mile or so took me through Lings Woods. That's the joy of a CX bike :okay:
Our paths separated in Moulton as I had to get home to pick my Granddaughter up for an afternoon of feeding the ducks, Jenga & monopoly.

Back home on 45 miles in colder, damper and windier than expected weather.

https://www.strava.com/activities/264831163

:smile:

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
69 Miles & 1489m Climb Today. superb ride as always here in Northern Cyprus. The Route went from Iskele> Getcikale>Malidag> Tirmen>Esentepe>Kaplica>Kantara>Iskele.

View: http://youtu.be/iEXRAHOtOSg

It's getting warmer out there on the Bike. No need for a base layer anymore and time to splash on some factor 50! Todays ride turned out to be about Animals. Goat herds everywhere, they've all been to the barbers and got sheered !

There was a Horse eating way around a Tree on th eend of a Rope, Cows crossing the road in Kaplica causing a Traffic jam of one van and a Cyclist! I saw two snakes and lot's of really fast lizards! The Island is Beautiful right now, wild flowers everywhere!

At Esentepe I turned into the Coastal Wind so by the time I reached the start of the 6km /600m climb at Kaplica I was feeling the pain! But as usual it's all worth it when you get to the top and come Flying down the other side at nearly 50mph!

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
69 Miles & 1489m Climb Today. superb ride as always here in Northern Cyprus.

Never mind "like", "quote" and "reply". There really should be a "jealous as hell" option on this thread too.

Kingsway cycling club Sunday ride, my first in a few weeks because of commitments and my 100k last Saturday but it was nice to see everyone. @Donger was missed but I'm sure he'll be back soon.

Cheers, @ Maltloaf. Made the mistake of having both of my rides in dry dock at the same time! To quote Arnie Schwarzenegger, "I'll be back" - though maybe not next Sunday, as I've got my next audax on Saturday. I'll be road testing both bikes tomorrow afternoon, after having new cranksets on both. Then I'll be having a decent ride out on Wednesday. Got my car booked in for an M.O.T. over in Cheltenham, so I thought I'd stick the bike on the roof and make the most of it ..... Dang! I'd forgotten all about Gold Cup week. Better steer well clear of Prestbury.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We had a brilliant ride today. We got in the car and drove to Salhouse, about 5 miles from Norwich.

We parked up near the old riding stables, which have now been knocked down and turned into expensive apartments. and rode to Woodbastwick where we stopped to photograph the nice building. No bike locks so we couldn't go in.
DSCF7494.jpg
We then carried on along the road to Bure Valley Nature Reserve and ran out of road.
DSCF7491.jpg
and looked at the little baby ducks, watched some herons and then pedaled back the way we'd come and on to Salhouse Broad.
DSCF7496.jpg

From there we headed back to Salhouse but went on the back road up past Major Fielder's farm. He's long dead so I have no idea who's farm it is now and we were going to go down the bridle path to the church but it appears to have become a footpath so we went round. I was willing to risk it but Hubster didn't want to. We rode down to the Salhouse Lodge Country Club (not as posh as it sounds, believe me) and than along the B1140 which is a horrible road. It used to be OK but there are more cars than people now so close passes by BMWs abound.

We did take Hubs new action camera. A Vivitar that looks like a go-pro. It's great but it won't fit on the handlebars so it needs a bit of a kit to deal with that.
8.15 miles in a slow 46 minutes. Going down the tracks to the broads slowed us up as we took it very steadily so as not to scare the wildlife and so we could look about while riding.
I have now done 10% of my annual target and I am well ahead on my March target. The black dog is getting his bum kicked this week. I can see him shrinking by the day.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Not posted a ride thread for a while so here goes. I have been spending a number of weekends taking photographs of the steady demise of Bae Woodford,the airfield where the mighty Avro Lancaster, Vulcan,Bae Nimrod and various airliners where built and flown from.
This weekend I decided to ride the 32 miles each way to the airfield like I used to do in my teens when I used to go over with the hope of catching a Nimrod on flight trial or when we had a little skirmish with some Argentines, seeing Vulcans come home for fettling ready for battle.....plus the yearly airshow.good memories.
Anyway,back to 2015 and the massive structures that were used to create these fine aircraft are now being reduced to history and the site will become a housing estate.
Front gate
Woodford%20east%20gate%20070315%20174_zpskajrahzk.jpg
These piles were once runway
Woodford%20tarmac%20070315%20052_zpstzffzwa3.jpg
Finals hanger nearing the end
Woodford%20finals%20070315%20170_zpszcd9kdte.jpg
End of the runway
Woodford%20end%20of%20runway%20070315%20015_zpsvb5nssx8.jpg
Runway
Woodford%20runway%20070315%20019_zps5lfqrlu1.jpg
Finals hanger was reputed to being a 1/3 of a mile long !
Woodford%20finals070315%20135_zpshsj2ej9s.jpg

On the way home I dropped into the viewing park at Manchester airport to photograph one of Woodfords products on display
XV231%20at%20Ringway%20bike07031519_zpsvvtaytox.jpg

My ride today... the 5th on my trike and just shy of 10km... perhaps a touch too much for me because I promptly had to take some morphine when I got home but it was a thoroughly enjoyable ride punctuated by photos - but I did make it to the old Whitegate railway station. So I'll let them talk rather than me. 1 photo per km... (actually it was a lot more, but the 10 photo upload limit made me reduce the numbers I am going to inflict on you! :laugh: )

IMG_2090.JPG

The first bridge and a lovely sandstone structure with a great puddle for a reflection. This bridge carries the A556 over the old Whitegate Way railway which leads to the salt mines. (The salt mines are still there and now house 25km of the National Archives because salt acts as a desiccator and provides a nice dry environment for storing paper)

IMG_2095.JPG

A touch of nice light and another bridge - this one a pedestrian only bridge. On the far side lies the scout camp and a lot of mud!

IMG_2108.JPG

I could not resist the light and taking the photo from my new angle. In the foreground are 2 pieces of the old railway line, just to prove it was once a railway!

IMG_2111.JPG

Whitegate Station... not my intended destination, that was further down the line, but I made it to here and turned around. Time to go home.

IMG_2117.JPG

Some nice light and a handy bench over looking the mere.

IMG_2118.JPG

Looking back the way I have come and the light is still great! :cry:

IMG_2125.JPG

OK - I balls up. I admit it, but I was getting rather tired and I have yet to get the crutches onto the trike (wait for some parts to arrive).
If you are wondering what I balls up, it is I cut the shadow of the trike off the bottom of the photo. :cry:

IMG_2128.JPG

Back to the scout camp and whilst the light is great, there is no grip in the path to the right and the path to the left is interesting on a trike... bottom gear and take it slowly.

IMG_2130.JPG

Potentially a new use for the mirrors, but the view back is great... Mind you I may have to start carrying a cloth to clean the mirror :laugh:

IMG_2139.JPG

Hummm... wishing I was going the other way again... I love taking photos into sun, they seem to come out so very well for my style of photography...

So the longest write up for something under 10km - perhaps. It will also count as the slowest ride I suspect, but I am still enjoying the trike, the weather was great, the light fantastic and I enjoyed myself, but I'm hurting now... Probably too far, too soon I suspect. https://www.strava.com/activities/265861179

Edit: I also have my first encounter with a horse and rider.... luckily I know this horse & rider and though it was uneasy at first, the rider is keen to introduce the horse to new things and asked if she could bring the horse over to meet me... so I kept talking to the horse (as I would normally) and once he came over and had smelt me, we said hello and he realised there wasn't an issue.... I suspect not every encounter will be that easy, but as the rider and I chatted about recumbents (she is considering one for her bad back after a fall from a horse) the horse calmed down and was fine.

Last edited:

Keith Oates

Janner
They are a good set of photos and it's good to see that you are getting out and about however, how do you clean the trike after all the muddy trails with your physical problems? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^^That thing is huge!

An easy 24 miles down the coast and back today. Took the Marin out which is the first time it's been used since I re-tasked it to a touring bike when the new mtn bike arrived. I'd forgotten what a lovely bike it was to ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/265945026

A few pics

The Liverpool skyline from Seacombe. You can find many excellent pics of this skyline online. This isn't one of them :smile:
IMGP2810.jpg

The Black Pearl at New brighton. Re-built after every storm.
IMGP2816.jpg

All in all: A Crowtastic ride and coffee stop....ummmmmm, cake.......
IMGP2820.jpg

oh and obviously that's one of those dual use signs, bikes left, pedestrains right and of course birds on top: Obvious.

Top Bottom