Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Got my bike back from at Gloucester Bikes yesterday after work, and took it out on a ride down the lanes today to make sure it's running OK. A lovely late afternoon 20 mile ride. Plenty of other riders out enjoying the sunny Spring weather (the daffodils are out now around Saul and Framilode, and it was warm enough for me to wear my shorts for the first time this year). Hung around for a nice sunset over the Severn tonight., then rode back with a lad from Eastington who was going the same way. Turns out he's my LBS mechanic's next door neighbour. It's a small world.

MikeW-71

Veteran
On such a gloriously sunny day, there was no excuse.

Commuted in to work, (which means the heavier Revolt) looking forward to an extended return, taking advantage of an early 4pm finish :wahhey:. It was nice and warm over the first half, but as I was aiming for 32 miles to get my half century in, the sun would be setting by the time I got back. Without a cloud in the sky, the temperature duly plunged from 8C to about 2C as I got to Armathwaite with 10 miles to go. Dragged the Revolt up Station Hill for the first time, which went well, and stopped at the top to switch on the lights. Trundled back home with 32.1 miles on the clock and a good workout :biggrin:

Saw lots of riders out today, taking advantage of the weather. :thumbsup:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I found a few years back that I can sometimes struggle to fix a puncture without wearing glasses so I now carry a cheap pair in my bag for emergencies. Is your eyesight so bad that glasses don't help?

I can't work out visual depth and distance close up because of the one eye sight. I'm ok riding(thankfully)but fixing fiddly bike things has me in bits! Anyway, before the eye went i wasn't the best puncture fixer,i always had a bit of the tube sticking out.
I always remember going for an apprentice engineering job at Mullard's in Blackburn when i left school. I didn't want it but my dad insisted,.What would you do if you were out on your bike and the chain snapped they asked? Take it home for my dad to fix i replied. Needless to say i didn't get the job!.:rolleyes:

I've thought about signing up to them,but it seems too good to be true. It would certainly offer peace of mind to know they'd be there to help!
I need to find out if they only cover roads or if cyclists are allowed to breakdown on bridlepaths and converted railways! So far my email has got nowhere. I shall ring then today if I remember, but I know what you mean about being too good to be true! I have in the past seen other companies advertising it as well though.

I was out again this morning, and given the forecast I wanted to make sure I had the best of the light, so I was up and out earlier today... well up at the normal time, I just left doing my nebuliser until after my ride :whistle:

So another fine cold morning with some excellent light, though I don't think it was as good as yesterday's but still excellent. I'll let the pictures talk because there is only so much you can say about cycling the same converted railway!

IMG_2141.JPG

The start and already showing signs of being a good photogenic ride!

IMG_2142.JPG

The Hawthorn is starting to leaf! Mind you so is the Elder and Honeysuckle!

IMG_2143.JPG

A pleasant patch of light along the way

IMG_2147.JPG

And a touch more, but lacking yesterday's magic, at the moment.

IMG_2152.JPG

Same time, same place? Not quite, I'm half an hour earlier today and it shows in the shadows! (there is an almost identical picture from yesterday!)

IMG_2154.JPG

Now there is a touch of magic in the light!

IMG_2166.JPG

Horses crossing... And almost my turn around point.

IMG_2167.JPG

Time for home. Looking south west and the clouds are clearly building up on the horizon.

IMG_2175.JPG

But not before I have had chance to sit and contemplate life at my favourite patch of trees. These silver birch catch the light wonderfully and they are so calming to just stop alongside and sit and listen to the wildlife. Just around the corner is the A556 and you have to time the photos correctly not to see lorries on it! But they are still beautiful trees and I find them very calming.

10.7km in errr, well a long time really :laugh: https://www.strava.com/activities/266395651
Home now and the weather has completely changed! cold, overcast and windy. The rain has just arrived!

Alex H

Legendary Member
It was my intention today to find some different roads, that I had not been on before and perhaps even take some new photos. (St Cyr is a nice village, but there's only so much to see :blush:).

So after a few km on back roads through the forest that is this part of the Haute Vienne, I find myself again below the chateau at Rochechouart :whistle:

You haven't seen it like this though- it"s got scaffolding :laugh: (renovation work courtesy of those nice chaps at the EU)

P3110005.JPG

A couple of hundred metres later, there was a difficult choice;

P3110006.JPG

No contest - I chose the flat route to the left (out of pic ^_^)

After a few more km, arrived at Pressignac, where, next to the Mairie, is this wooden carving of "Marcellis le Forgeron" (blacksmith) - Why or who, I have no idea.

P3110007.JPG

So back towards Rochechouart via Chassenon, where those nice EU chaps are spending even more money to put a roof over the Roman thermal baths.

Snuck into Rochechouart via the old railway line, which is now part of a 14km walking / MTB trail. This view taken towards the newly refurbished railway station (yes, those EU chaps again :okay:)

P3110008.JPG

Having walked the entire route a couple of years ago, I can assure you it is not all like this :laugh:

35km in just under 2 hours - too hot for the way I was dressed, but enjoyable nevertheless.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Thought I'd go for a nice ride in the Cotswolds while I had my car M.O.T. tested. Sounded like a plan .... then I discovered it was Gold Cup Week, and it started to look like a massive mistake.:stop:

Turned out alright, though, as I had just discovered that there was a tooth missing on my cassette in one of the middle gears, and I was running out of time to get it fixed before my weekend audax. A quarter of a mile into my ride, what should I find but an Evans Cycles! (I know what some of you are thinking, but give them their due). They sorted me out straight away with a new 11/32 cassette, fitted within 20 minutes or so for just over £17 . Result!

I carried on along Wymans Lane to Southam. There was a bit of a traffic jam near the racecourse, but it turns out that travelling by bike is by far the best way to get around when the racegoing traffic hits town. Breezed past all of it easily, and made my way onto Cleeve Hill. This is a lovely long drag all the way up and along the side of an escarpment with Cotswold stone cliffs on the right and breathtaking views to the left over the vale of Gloucester towards the Malvern Hills. It's the hill you see in the background if you watch the racing on the telly, and it goes on... and on ....and on for miles. Pleased to say I got up it in one, and before I knew it I was in Winchcombe. From there, I took a right up a tiny lane that led to Sudely Castle and onwards up Sudely Hill/Round Hill. There, I'm rather ashamed to admit that I may have got off and walked a bit (just don't tell anyone). Remounted after missing a hundred yards or so of this brutal little beast of a hill, and carried on towards Roel Gate - a crossroads in the middle of nowhere, but one which anyone who does the BHF Cotswolds Bike Ride might be familiar with. All of my outward route was accompanied by the background noise of private helicopters overhead, making it feel for a moment like I was in the lead in the TdF.

I stopped and turned around when I reached the highest point, and had a good swig while standing with my back to Guiting Wood, looking out over the escarpment at fantastic downward views towards Winchcombe below. Lovely. Then I re-traced my route back to the Toyota dealership in Cheltenham to pick up my car. It turns out it wasn't a mistake to arrange my M.O.T. for Gold Cup Week - I've never enjoyed an M.O.T. so much.

What were massive mistakes, however, were:
(1) Getting togged out in rain jacket, waterproof overtrousers and neoprene overshoes (because they said it was going to rain); I boiled in the bag.
(2) Leaving my camera at home (because they said it was going to rain) - there would have been great photo ops above Winchcombe, at Sudeley Castle and a fantastic view of Cheltenham Racecourse from half way back down Cleeve Hill.;
(3) Forgetting not to breathe in when downwind of a dead badger.xx(

A lovely way to pass a bit of dead time, and a route that I'd recommend to anyone. .
Cheers, Donger. p.s. It didn't rain. p.p.s. Back at the nice swish customer lounge of the Toyota dealership I drank their complimentary cold water dispenser dry!

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Today was new towbar for the car day - finally saved up for one. We drove off to Horstead, near Coltishall and dropped the car off and retrieved the bikes from the back of the car and off we toddled towards Aylsham, via the Bure Valley Path. We found the path easily enough, as I'd put the route in my Garmin last night and got it to loop us back by road as there is only so much hard mud dirt tracking that my fillings will stand.
We rode along and stopped at Buxton Station. I say station, Kings Cross it is not.
IMG_0032.jpg
No point waiting as there are no trains until the weekend.
IMG_0033.jpg
You can see the cycle path and footpath to the left of the fence.
We carried on and over a couple of little bridges, stopped for 5 minutes and chatted with a lady with 2 Lurchers. Had a cuddle with the dogs and got out of the way of a grumpy jogger. Why do it if it makes your face look like the wind has changed?
We carried on and stopped at the top of a wee bridge and looked over. Very pretty.
IMG_0035.jpg
Then onwards to Aylsham Tesco as I needed a wee and Hubster needed a butty. I had one of my meal bars with me. Raspberry and White Chocolate so not inclined to share. I had half a tomato too. It was a mahoosive tomato. When I asked Hubs to grab a couple of tomatoes, I didn't mean one's the size of cricket balls. I managed the flesh of one and put the pips in the bin. I am not keen on pips.

At the end of the path there is the Bure Valley Railway Station:
IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

The trains run between Aylsham and Wroxham during the school hols and all summer. Never been on but walked along and waved at the grockles from time to time.

From Aylsham, we went back via the Coltishall Road. Firstly we went up a road that has no exit unless you are on foot or on a bike. Getting across the A140 was time consuming. Then we braved the road from Hell for a couple of hundred yards and turned off onto a B road which was a lot better for our nerves. We followed it all the way to Horstead and finished at the top of the wee hill.

14.3 miles in 1:20:42, we were not in a hurry. Anyway, you can't hurry over rutted and narrow cyclepaths and you definitely can't hurry into a headwind. On the way back we really knew that we were not in the valley any longer.
Great ride. Sun shone, I'm up on my monthly target and life is good. We have booked to go for a quick weekend away this month so going to get some riding in around the Winchester side of the New Forest while a friend house sits for us.

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Today was new towbar for the car day - finally saved up for one. We drove off to Horstead, near Coltishall and dropped the car off and retrieved the bikes from the back of the car and off we toddled towards Aylsham, via the Bure Valley Path. We found the path easily enough, as I'd put the route in my Garmin last night and got it to loop us back by road as there is only so much hard mud dirt tracking that my fillings will stand.
We rode along and stopped at Buxton Station. I say station, Kings Cross it is not.
IMG_0032.jpg
IMG_0033.jpg
We carried on and over a couple of little bridges, stopped for 5 minutes and chatted with a lady with 2 Lurchers. Had a cuddle with the dogs and got out of the way of a grumpy jogger. Why do it if it makes your face look like the wind has changed?
We carried on and stopped at the top of a wee bridge and looked over. Very pretty.
IMG_0035.jpg
Then onwards to Aylsham Tesco as I needed a wee and Hubster needed a butty. I had one of my meal bars with me. Raspberry and White Chocolate so not inclined to share. I had half a tomato too. It was a mahoosive tomato. When I asked Hubs to grab a couple of tomatoes, I didn't mean one's the size of cricket balls. I managed the flesh of one and put the pips in the bin. I am not keen on pips.

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

The trains run between Aylsham and Wroxham during the school hols and all summer. Never been on but walked along and waved at the grockles from time to time.

From Aylsham, we went back via the Coltishall Road. Firstly we went up a road that has no exit unless you are on foot or on a bike. Getting across the A140 was time consuming. Then we braved the road from Hell for a couple of hundred yards and turned off onto a B road which was a lot better for our nerves. We followed it all the way to Horstead and finished at the top of the wee hill.

14.3 miles in 1:20:42, we were not in a hurry. Anyway, you can't hurry over rutted and narrow cyclepaths and you definitely can't hurry into a headwind. On the way back we really knew that we were not in the valley any longer.
Great ride. Sun shone, I'm up on my monthly target and life is good. We have booked to go for a quick weekend away this month so going to get some riding in around the Winchester side of the New Forest while a friend house sits for us.
Didn't know there was another Buxton, in addition to the well known one near us. Yer learn summat new every day, don'tcha? ^_^

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7 miles this day, on my usual course for warm up rides, the first day I could ride in 1 layer and no insulating gloves, just cycling gloves. Temps got to near 15C(or 60F) here today. Enough of the snow has melted off my trail extension that I can use it. The main trails get cleared, but not my extension, as a matter of fact it seems snow gets piled there from the road. Very few others out there except for an older fellow walking in the countryside, and another very old fellow on an mtb like mine, only newer.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
IMG_0032.jpg
IMG_0033.jpg
IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

Kings Cross of Fifteen Inch-gauge, though, I'm sure.

Top Bottom