Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Firestorm

Veteran
FB_IMG_1463425443172.jpg
Another picture from the Firestorms Flanders Foray

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Home at a sensible hour, sun shining and Mrs ND wanting rid of me while she gets tea on? Must be time for a post work ride!
Thinking I'd squeeze in a cheeky 10k, I jumped on the hybrid and headed out through Cross Gates and up the hill to Austhorpe and onto NCN R66 through Thorpe Park.
I was making good progress, the weather was excellent (if still a bit breezy) and I had enough time, so I hit the bridleway down to Garforth (rather than taking the sneaky and not strictly legit shortcut down the Leeds Country Way* as I might have considered if I was more pushed for time and it was allowed...:whistle: )
Anyhow, the shrubbery has grown a bit since last week in the woods, closing in on both sides of the route and blocking a few sight lines, so I wasn't as quick through here, just in case.
Off the bridleway, passing a charming young lady walking her horse back to the field and full belt down the tarmac section of Barrowby Lane.
Under the railway bridge and onto Nanny Goat Lane up to the riding school passing a few joggers.
The new neck 'chute I bought was pulled up over my mouth and nose here and doing a fine job of keeping the flies at bay, whilst still allowing pretty normal breathing.
back onto the bridleway, passing a family out walking their dogs on leads attached to their bikes :rolleyes: and down to the M1 underpass and the quick run down to Manston Lane, Pendas Fields, a quick additional loop and up to home.

10.07 miles (16.2km) in 47m 32s at an average of 12.7 mph and with 456ft climbed. So, my cheeky 10k had become a very enjoyable 10 miles. That will do for me on a Monday night! :okay:

No pics (sorry!) but here's a map:
16052016.jpg

* - Between NCN R66 and Manston Lane / the bridleway at Barnbow Lane (which also gives access to the bridleway across Garforth Golf Club, joining into the West Yorkshire Cycle Route and back onto NCN R66 at Parlington Lane), there is a few hundred yards of the Leeds Country Way "public footpath" which you're not allowed to cycle on.:stop:
The footpath is actually a flinty, hard packed farm track that the farmer uses to get his 4x4s and tractors up to the fields so would be quite suitable to be redefined as a bridleway / cycle route. I feel an email to my local councillor coming on...

Thanks for the heads up on the cafés - funnily enough I was talking with a mate about the same thing earlier today and he suggested Squires as well. I knew it was popular with motorcyclists, but didn't realise us proper cyclists were allowed in as well! :okay:

It's not a home-made cake stop, like Birkin Fisheries, just (packaged) flap-jacks, etc.., but the burgers are fine!!

gavgav

Guru
Took advantage of what looks like the last chance I will get for an evening ride this week before the monsoon season arrives again on Wednesday! Hoping to take my bike up to dads caravan, this weekend, but the forecast looks dire and more chance of a walk I think.

Lovely sunny and warm evening, out through the estate and along the cycle paths to Sundorne, including one slight moment when a chap on a bike came round a corner, looking down at something instead of where he was going and just as I was about to take evasive action and shout he looked up and swerved with a shocked look on his face! I then joined the old canal path to Uffington and out on the road to Upton Magna.

Climbed up East Haughmond and was glad to turn out of the northerly breeze for the 1st time, down the mile straight to Somerwood and Rodington Heath. Joined the lane back to Upton Magna, which is finally drying out after what feels like 6 months of it being flooded.

Continued along the bone shaker Pelham Rd and out onto the rat run to Atcham, encountering the 1 nobber of the ride who squeezed past between me and a car coming the other way, clown!

Crossed Atcham bridge and then climbed up towards Betton and back into the wind for the last couple of miles home.

20.3 miles at a slow 11.4mph avg. I hate wind! :cursing:

TeeShot

Veteran
image.jpeg
I've been wanting to ride the lumpy part of The Cheshire Cycle way for a while but didn't fancy the Cat and Fiddle in grim weather.
National cycle route 70 as it also known, wanders over 130 miles through Cheshire including a loop through the edge of the Peak District.
Having driven out to Redesmere I picked up the route near Henbury and set off anti clockwise around the route. After Gawsworth and Sutton the ups started to the Hanging Gate pub and on to Wildboarclough. A coffee stop in the delightfully named Bottom of the Oven at The Stanley Arms. For those interested the four rather incongruous blue seats outside the pub were removed from the Maine Road football ground when City moved to the Ethiad. From the pub it was over the Cat and Fiddle, down past Lamaload Reservoir and in to Bollington. After Prestbury is was back to Henbury and loop completed. Not far, 32 miles but none flat. Definitely recommended to any locals who haven't done it yet.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Finished my day off yesterday with a great first open road ride on my 50's Raleigh Roadster it was nice to able to keep its legs stretched as all previous miles have been cycle path ones .

only went up the mad mile along to Beckworths down to Earls Barton x roads then back through Mears Ashby and down to Wilby then back around town to home , bike went well and even climbed a couple of small inclines

Nice z1/2 commute this morning.

Bit chilly at the start but nice and sunny once I was through Cottenham;quick stop at the Espresso Cafe for coffee and toast before starting work.

https://www.strava.com/activities/578700554

Had a short run in yesterday frfom Waterbeach station to test out the new chainring but the Garmin file is foobard so hopefully Strava support
is sorting it out;it didn't re-set after I last used it so it came up as last Wednesdays evening ride:rolleyes:,tried all the Strava tricks but nothing really worked.

Probably do another easy commute on Thursday and a ride with the better half on Friday before what looks like a wet and windy Boudicca on Sunday.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Got lost again today, and the planned 25 miles ended up at 32. Tired now and I've still got to walk the dogs.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Not strictly on topic as it was my ride yesterday, but here goes:

Took my Trek MTB on the train to Glasgow, with no specific destination in mind. It was just a nice day for a leisurely bike ride, and that was what I intended to do!
I headed north onto the canal path which heads east to Falkirk. I had forgotten how much I enjoy taking to the canal paths on the MTB; no traffic to contend with, no hills, nice scenery in most parts, and reasonably well surfaced these days. About 20 miles into the ride you come to the meeting place of the Union canal, and the Forth and Clyde canal. Being at different levels, they came up with this boat lift to transfer barges between the two canals. It is known as The Falkirk Wheel. One rotation uses the same amount of power as boiling a kettle, apparently:

IMG_3200.jpg

Along the canal, I saw this swan and her family of 8 new-borns. When I first saw them, some of the cygnets were "piggy backing" on their mother, and she was using her wings to keep them on her back. They wouldn't repeat it for the camera, naturally:

WP_20160516_13_10_19_Pro_zpsdx9ov7xo.jpg

I carried on along the canal towards "The Kelpies" at Falkirk. Having only seen them from the nearby M9 motorway before, this was a chance to see them up close. Due to the sun glare on my phone screen I couldn't really see what I was doing and managed to cut off the top of one of the kelpies!...

WP_20160516_14_33_54_Pro_zps9ebn3ngi.jpg

It was at the kelpies that I saw a sign for "NCN 76, Queensferry 22 miles" and I thought - Why not? So off I went following NCN 76. Quite a good route taking you out of the bleak industrial wastelands of Grangemouth, then towards Bo'ness. Quite a big climb out of Bo'ness but giving good views of the Firth of Forth from the tops (and of course I forgot to take any pics!).
The route then goes down towards the Forth, through a really nice stretch of woodland path (although wouldn't like to do it on a road bike in the wet). It takes you out near to the new Forth crossing, which is due to open in September (existing Forth Road Bridge to the right on photo)....

WP_20160516_16_20_26_Pro_zpsx9t6c7o9.jpg

A mile or two further on and you reach the Forth RAIL Bridge, where there is a not so cheap café, but this was worth every penny. The best meringue I have tasted, anywhere, ever........

WP_20160516_16_42_57_Pro_zps5bavwgmi.jpg

The Trek MTB at South Queensferry, under the Forth rail bridge:

WP_20160516_16_32_05_Pro_zpsbcjjzcbi.jpg

The meringue lasted all of 2 minutes, then I set off on another NCN off road route which takes you along the shore of the Forth, through some more woodland, taking you out at Cramond, from where I took the Roseburn path (old railway path) into central Edinburgh. A carry out from a Chinese in Marchmont was devoured in the sunshine of the Meadows before I headed for Waverley train station and a train back to Glasgow (then onwards to Largs, getting home at 11pm.). 67 miles for the day. On a MTB; without any painful after effects today! :smile:

A picture of Edinburgh Castle from Princes Street, in the late sun:

WP_20160516_19_24_10_Pro_zps9kmshvlv.jpg

The route....

Screenshot%2026_zpsaepou9cf.png

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Another one of those wonderful bright mornings, so off to the wild blue yonder ( a.k.a. Wharfedale ) I went. Since I got the Garmin there is a strange satisfaction in using the bike to draw doodles on maps, this also encourages me to think more about any route I may take and shows me my mind’s eye view of the route bears little resemblance to the real world . . .

17052016.jpg

The road works are still ongoing at the side of Water Lane, traffic lights, builder’s bums, Holbeck has it all, including an escape to Crown Point Bridge. Past the bus station, turn right and begin the long ascent to the Oakwood Clock, past the spare gates that Roundhay Park does not seem to use any more, I wonder if it could be a tradesman’s entrance these days? Nope, none of that in Leeds. Up the hill to the Boot pub and turn left there on to Whin Moor Lane and follow that to Gateland Lane and Shadwell Main Street. Turn left and follow that to Slaid Hill where I turned right for Wike and East Keswick. No sight of Red Kites today, I was wearing a hat with a brim. Into Collingham, left along the A 58 and then right on Wattle Syke, up to the roundabout and left for Wetherby, where I stopped to eat . . .

Back to Collingham along the A 58 and turn left onto Jewitt Lane. Quite a climb to the ridge top and continue along to East Rigton, from where Home Farm Lane takes you to Milner Lane and into Thorner.

Along Main Street and up Sandhills, turn right on Skeltons Lane, Red Hall Lane to the A 58 and a very well earned WHIZZZZ !!!!! down Boot Hill. A most enjoyable 33.5 miles, no drama, lots of grin factor.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I wasn't planning to go for a ride today but Mrs MY declared she fancied a ride so, rather than have her get into mischief I accompanied her.

As always the first part of the ride is over a rough path that weakens the resolve. What with her current medication and a bad night We'd not got far when she was expressing doubts about continuing. But the path does improve and there is a certain stubbornness there so we continued. Indeed we did far more than I was expecting, reaching Berkhamsted and Waitrose sandwiches. I commented that arriving in Berkhamsted by canal felt very different, even if we were in the same car park.

For some reason we always see more birds when my OH leads to way, this was our second heron
1.jpg

And these gees an goslings were quite a surprise, the parents weren't too keen on us passing, so we took it easily.

2.jpg

The swans were on the other bank, too far away to care about us.

3.jpg

And then we spotted some ducklings.

4.jpg

Still, on a ride like this it is only right that a canal side pub is featured

5.JPG

And if the pub isn't your cup of tea, well whatever floats your boat, even is it is called La Perle Noir with lots of skulls dotted about.

6.JPG

And since there are so many canal side pubs, here's another

7.JPG

On our return we avoided the worst of the bad surface by trying out some new cycle paths.

8.JPG

11.5 miles max 18 avg 5.2 mph. Year to date, 197.1 miles, Target 400 miles.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The wind was tough out over the common and my legs were remembering yesterday. But I kept at it and the legs began to get the idea. For some reason I'd put the chain on the big ring. It came off that over the hills at Redmarley to go back up on the drop away from Brand Green. The wind began to help as I turned at Highleadon but I put off the full advantage by taking in the climb to Woolridge. Down on the Hams my pace rose and by the time I got to Forthampton my average pace had increased. A little egret had taken to the wing at my approach and a bullfinch darted for cover. Then a buzzard came out of the trees to swerve away from my approach. I was still rolling quite well but found the Brotheridge Green up a bit of a struggle as was the lump over to Hanley Swan. Not far to go after that to notch up another quick (44 miles @ 16.6 mph) ride.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I'll catch up with 'my rides' soon!
A few days ago, on a day off when other riding mates were working, I had a solo ride on the full suss to Foxton Locks for a pie and a pint.
Lovely weather, and no wind to worry about. It was a pleasant tootle on a quiet trail, listening to the birds twittering away to themselves,( and each other, I presume!) whilst I had time to relax and enjoy the day.

DSC_0273.jpg

One of the darker places today.. But, there is light at the other end of the tunnel..

As I reached Mkt. Harborough, I had a bit of traffic to content with, but nothing that was too bad. The cycle path there is, as usual, not probably planned for cyclists, but I managed to pass through unscathed before dropping on to the canal path to Foxton for few more leisurely miles.

IMG_20160512_114411.jpg

With a hand pulled pint of Langston Brewery 'Incline Bitter' and a pie under my belt, I did a few miles around the Foxton canal basin and Leicester Arm before heading back homewards.

DSC_0264.jpg

INCOMING!! One of the old iron barges preserved locally.

DSC_0257.jpg

It's hard to get the perspective and history of Foxton in a photograph, bit It's a great place to visit. On this ride, I discovered several more parts to enjoy.

DSC_0274.jpg

And back through the tunnels towards Northampton to complete a long ride off-road.

Nearly back home, I did call in to a shop in Overstone for a can of Coke and a Mars Bar for some added energy on the last few miles, but it was 73 miles done, on an MTB, in cracking weather, with no w*rk to contemplate! :becool:

https://www.strava.com/activities/573676566

:smile:

Top Bottom