Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Off on holiday to Spain for a week tomorrow so rode my old beast over to Horningsea to the LBS for them to see if they could figure out what's causing a very annoying clicking sound coming from somewhere or other- I suspect bottom bracket but who knows.

Rescued by Mrs G from there and then borrowed her bike for a final circuit of my local patch before going away.

View attachment 129076

I met this lovely lady on Tubney Fen. She was giving me the evils. And quite right too. Probably wondering why I was on such a daft bike.

My wife's bike is very tiny, and my knees were somewhere near my ears whilst pedalling, it was only 10 miles but blimey it felt like 100 at the end!

that so looks like a panto cow..lol

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Not really today, but its still with me. Catharsis demands I write it down.

Coming back from work on Tuesday this week, I found myself at lights beside another cyclist. He didn't look particularly fit. His bike wasn't particularly shiny. He was wearing a rucksack with a hi-viz cover on it that was turning the whole thing into a drogue chute. At the time I thought, that's odd. He wasn't at the lights when I arrived... I don't remember overtaking him... Perhaps he's been on my tail for the last bit. Or catching up with me???

I'm not particularly fast, but I'm generally pretty convinced about getting home in good time, so its pretty rare that anyone catches me up. Especially someone with a big rucksack...

So, we chat briefly about the nasty headwind, and when the lights change I set off at a fair merciless pace (being laid back and less of a target to the wind). Next set of lights, he carries on the conversation. But I didn't hear his freewheel as he arrived. Which suggests he rocked up at the same time as me, again.

So, I begin to wonder if I'm getting ill or old, because quite seriously, this doesn't normally happen.

Then the road tilts up. We climb up Bromley Hill and his little drogue chute is giving me a nice bright target to focus on, and I'm not reeling him in. And I'm now giving it pretty much all I have, and I'm still only just keeping on his tail. And the road flattens out, and we stop at the lights, and he peels off around Bromley bypass, and I limp down through the High Street clawing for breath.

So, I get home, and I put him out of my mind, and I think, "best get some rest tonight. I'm definitely going down with something" but then Strava says that of the 4 minute climb that is Bromley Hill, I'm only 2 seconds behind the fastest I've ever done it. And although this is part of my regular commute, I distinctly recall that time being a dash in and out of town, and massively sprinty, on a much lighter bike, and without panniers, and without the laptop, and without suspension, and M+ tyres, and not having had a day at work, and not facing a headwind.

So... Who was this mysterious cyclist that dragged me up the damn hill at more watts than I've ever managed to put out, before or since? Why isn't he on Strava so that I can give him kudos. And what the hell am I ever going to do if I meet him again? Or if he starts training? Or takes off the rucksack?

Old jon

Guru
After last evening’s deluge or several I was expecting to need scuba gear to go anywhere much today. Wrong again, mostly dry roads all the way round today’s journey.

I did my usual Holbeck sidestep so I do not have to ride through the city centre, and what is becoming a favourite start to a ride, through Headingley ( and the cricket fans ) and up to the grammar school on Lawnswood Ring Road. Straight across then bear left so I can keep climbing to the top of Cookridge. A short bit of downhill, then turn left for the side of the airport and on to Otley. Subconsciously I must have known that Otley has its Summer Fair or whatever tomorrow, which is why I rode there today I suppose. Cross the river and turn left onto Farnley Lane, and ride on to Farnley itself.

Straight on and round a few twisty bits is Leathley Bridge, cross that and turn right, re cross the river Wharfe and try to climb Pool Bank again. The hill is still winning. Up to the Dyneley Arms, turn left for a bit of level road, and some descending stuff too, back to Headingley and the towpath at Kirkstall. Ride through a small corner of Hunslet, oddly enough up Leathley Road, and I reached home 30.1 miles after leaving. Tired, but a good ride was had.

20052016.jpg

I finally got round to test riding the Giant Propel Advanced SL 1, that I've been eyeing up.

image.jpeg

It's a phenomenal bit of kit, and it really goes like stink. My problem was with the very aggressive geometery though, it was brilliant over 40 miles, it would kill me over 100 + miles. The dropped seat stays, work from an aero perspective, but they do give it a slightly 'wonky' feel in a fast corner:eek:. So, on reflection, I think it's a no:thumbsdown:.

Anyway here's the route.

https://www.strava.com/activities/582128779.

Nice day for it too :thumbsup:.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I finally got round to test riding the Giant Propel Advanced SL 1...
View attachment 129138

Now, I'm not one for upright bikes, but that is a truly beautiful piece of kit.

Katherine

Guru

Coming back from work on Tuesday this week, I found myself at lights beside another cyclist. He didn't look particularly fit. His bike wasn't particularly shiny. He was wearing a rucksack with a hi-viz cover on it that was turning the whole thing into a drogue chute. At the time I thought, that's odd. He wasn't at the lights when I arrived... I don't remember overtaking him... Perhaps he's been on my tail for the last bit. Or catching up with me???

I'm not particularly fast, but I'm generally pretty convinced about getting home in good time, so its pretty rare that anyone catches me up. Especially someone with a big rucksack...

So, we chat briefly about the nasty headwind, and when the lights change I set off at a fair merciless pace (being laid back and less of a target to the wind). Next set of lights, he carries on the conversation. But I didn't hear his freewheel as he arrived. Which suggests he rocked up at the same time as me, again.

So, I begin to wonder if I'm getting ill or old, because quite seriously, this doesn't normally happen.

Then the road tilts up. We climb up Bromley Hill and his little drogue chute is giving me a nice bright target to focus on, and I'm not reeling him in. And I'm now giving it pretty much all I have, and I'm still only just keeping on his tail. And the road flattens out, and we stop at the lights, and he peels off around Bromley bypass, and I limp down through the High Street clawing for breath.

So, I get home, and I put him out of my mind, and I think, "best get some rest tonight. I'm definitely going down with something" but then Strava says that of the 4 minute climb that is Bromley Hill, I'm only 2 seconds behind the fastest I've ever done it. And although this is part of my regular commute, I distinctly recall that time being a dash in and out of town, and massively sprinty, on a much lighter bike, and without panniers, and without the laptop, and without suspension, and M+ tyres, and not having had a day at work, and not facing a headwind.

So... Who was this mysterious cyclist that dragged me up the damn hill at more watts than I've ever managed to put out, before or since? Why isn't he on Strava so that I can give him kudos. And what the hell am I ever going to do if I meet him again? Or if he starts training? Or takes off the rucksack?
He had a motor and a battery.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

Very amusing post. Thanks.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Not in work today so grabbed the opportunity to get some miles in before the weather was due to break, (at least according to last night's met forcast).
Home and skirted Warrington partly on a new cycleway I hadn't seen before. Crossed the M56 and down to Whiltey before going along some lovely quiet roads across to the M6. Slightly hairy on the A56 which is currently the link road to the M56, before deciding to ride on what passes as the footpath. Much better than lorries and commuters thundering past.
Crossed to High Legh, then Grappenhall, Lymm and Warburton, before Culcheth and then home. Just under 41 miles at an average of just over 15 mph. Pleased with that. :smile:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
My legs felt a bit tired as I headed out. Soon they were in the groove as I rode over to Wichenford. A tail wind probably helped. I looped round to Ockeridge and aimed at the hills. Camp Lane is a toughie but offers great views over the Teme Valley and the Clee Hills. I dropped into the Teme valley to climb back out again for Martley. Then the lumps continued as the roads took me away from the river only to drop me back on the riverside. Now I was battling that wind and on the climb over to Suckley it was a real struggle. I had a bit of a respite from the wind along the Leigh brook so with only the challenge of the final miles into the teeth of the wind I was done. My legs would agree with that too. Done to a turn.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Didn't go anywhere but got a 20 minute turbo trainer test following my crash last month:

No rib pain but the hip bursitis hurts at the top. So basically a mixed bag; no issues where the major damage was done but the bursitis isn't getting any better through driving as the road vibrations make the bursitis hurt. I basically think I need to get back onto a bike more and drive less for anything to heal properly.

Top Bottom