Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Testing out the new bike today lurve it went through Binfield Warfield Ascot Bracknell Wokingham stopped for a Nanna in the shade...:sun:
image_zpsfglr2abl.jpe

Then off to Wokingham into the centre of Reading round past the now derelict prison and over Caversham bridge. Heading up the hill towards Woodcote bit of a hairy road that some narrow bits and a shed load of trucks. Turned off towards Peppard and up to Nettlebed stopped at the garage for a sausage roll and a Coke and then hightailed it off down to Henley where they are setting up for the Regatta next weekend..
image_zpsr2n3jtdu.jpe

image_zpsyatfaypi.jpe

Up the horrid hill out of Henley then chick a right to Warren Row to the Velolife cafe for a quick coffee and natter. Just as I left it started spitting within a mile it was torrential rain no cost no shoe covers no chance of avoiding it. :rain:Took shelter in a petrol station for half hour until it died off a bit then back through Knowl Hill off towards Twyford through Shurlock Row The Walthams and home. Shame the last 5 miles ruined a good ride and now gotta clean the beast.

Just under 67 miles with 2293 ft of climbing in 3 hours 50 mins with a 17.4 mph avg.

https://www.strava.com/activities/619336348/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB

https://skyhawk-videos.s3.amazonaws...ion=attachment; filename=relive_619336348.mp4
Cheers
Mark.

Last edited:
Nice roll out with the better half today;

https://www.strava.com/activities/619156833

Doing well again after a fortnight off the bike(her not me).

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
I am trying to challenge myself on my longer rides. There is a hill near me at Aston Abbots which I have always wanted to ride down since I was a kid. I was determined I would not push this time and I didn't. Yes I might have been going at 2 miles an hour in the lowest gear but I did it! The views at the top were so worth it and I have completed another 15 mile ride on my own.

20160624_200310.jpg 20160624_200307.jpg 20160624_200304.jpg 20160624_195901.jpg

View: https://www.strava.com/activities/619609912/embed/284e1e3ab88c971d70d4d053eab02c0fa62adf08

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well that was a great ride this morning taking in the following villages Sywell ,Ecton ,Little and Great Houghton ,Hackleton .

Then across the border in to Buckinghamshire and through Stoke Goldington ,Weston Underwood , Onley ,Lavendon ,Harrold ,Hinwick ,Irchester ,Little Irchester and back home 41.93 miles .

Thought i got it wrong with shorts on to start with but legs soon warmed up ok . Loads of wildlife and a couple of cyclists and some great views.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Quick put this morning as I have some chores to keep the wife happy. Did a route I'd done before just on a different bike legs felt heavy today and some nasty headwind in places White Waltham Ruscombe into Wokingham Winersh Earley then broke off to Woodley luckily a bit of a tailwind on the A4 through past Sonning and Hare Hatch a right off down towards White Waltham again pass the airfield and home. No pics no stopping no energy left today lol. Been told to switch to KM's by a couple of mates at the bike shop I did try and explain that this is the UK :biggrin:.

46.7 km with a 32.2 km avg an awful 166m of climbing. In 1 hour 27 mins.

https://www.strava.com/activities/620032506/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB

https://skyhawk-videos.s3.amazonaws...ion=attachment; filename=relive_620032506.mp4

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
What a great ride! I went to Orford, this morning, on Patsy #1 The Carbon for a coffee and snack, mistakenly thinking the round trip was 30 miles - it turned out to be 40. :smile:
I passed about twenty members of Ipswich Cycling Club out for a spin which felt rather nice and spent quite some time riding with my forearms resting on the bars. (I know it's reckless. but the increase in speed is fun.)
On the return leg, the reckless factor increased when I drafted a tractor (still resting on the bars) and was somewhat surprised (deservedly so) when we passed over sand washed onto the road by the rain and I couldn't avoid it.
Most of the rest of journey was conducted riding sensibly. :whistle:

This out at Orford.

Orford for coffee 002.JPG

Old jon

Guru
Another mix and match of familiar roads which added up to thirty two and a half miles from start to finish. Through a bit of Holbeck to reach the Leeds and Liverpool canal, ride the towpath to Viaduct Road, start the long drag up Cardigan Road and two hundred yards along join the queue of traffic trying to get past a cement delivery truck . . .

Just beyond the Co-op is another development of fancy flats, sorry, luxury apartments, with its very own cement delivery truck disrupting the otherwise quiet Saturday morning that Headingley usually enjoys.

Cross the Ring Road at Lawnswood, carry straight on to the lights at Church Lane, next left to pass Adel church, straight across the dam and take the next left. Keep on this road on top of Black Hill, Arthington Road, which eventually becomes Black Hill Road and provides a steep descent and a terrible road surface to the A 659. Turn left, travel through Arthington and Pool. I had intended to ride the scenic route past Leathley and Farnley to reach Otley, but the autopilot must have kicked in and I was a couple of miles along Pool Road before I remembered. Old age I reckon. I crossed the river and rode along Weston Lane to those huge ornamental gates that only open onto a field these days, and stopped there for some fuel.

After a munch and a bit of thought, the A 660 back to Headingley followed by the bit through Kirkstall and along the towpath felt like the best way to finish today’s enjoyable excursion around a bit of Yorkshire, so that is just what I did.

And the best of cartography, courtesy of Garmin,

25062016.jpg

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Some firsts today:

I attended my first forum ride, first proper ride in a group and I had my first proper cafe stop.

Big thanks for @13 rider @Joobert and @tallliman who were great company.

The plan was to meet in Cossington at 9am and do a 30ish mile loop and then depending on people and weather maybe a few more miles. Since I'm an early riser I decided to do a few miles before the meet, so left the house at 5am and did an extended ride to the start, were all three were waiting for me.

Then we had 20ish miles of chatting, great weather and great company, a fantastic cafe stop on Six Hills Lane (I can't remember the name of the place but it is famous for its pies)

At Sileby @Joobert finished his ride and us remaining three decided to do a bit more since @13 rider swore the rain was going to hold off. 5 Minutes later we are sheltering under the A6 near Mountsorrel as it poured it down.

We waited 15 minutes or so and when it got lighter we decided to call it a day. A few miles down the road it was brilliant weather again, but I was now on my own and just about out of water so decided to continue home.

110 miles done for the day but the company made it feel shorter.

https://www.strava.com/activities/620232191

@13 rider and @tallliman sheltering from the rain that wasn't going to arrive for hours :rain:
WP_20160625_12_02_27_Pro.jpg

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Todays ride was inspired by a picture posted on Facebook by my cousin of something very close to one of my regular routes that I had never seen so it was a bit of a hunt & hope to find it.

As is usual, rain was forecast so it was a slightly earlier start armed with a jacket in my back pocket as it was still warm heading out into the forest en-route to Wiltshire.

5 miles in I became aware of somebody on my wheel & he soon pulled along side & we chatted for the next 6 or 7 miles which made a nice change, although being 20 years his senior the pace was a little quicker than I'd planned!

Going our separate ways near Bolderwood, I carried on into Wiltshire, through Ibsley, Sandleheath & Martin where I was becoming aware of a rather high average heart rate showing on the Garmin & a quick stop at the pig village revealed a somewhat under inflated rear tyre so I pumped it up as best I could & carried on with a view to monitor it again later.
002.JPG

Next up was the only climb of the day at Howgare Road which is a pleasant enough steady 4%er, however it was also the start of the forecast rain so after a quick decent I stopped to put my jacket on & also have lunch under the shelter of a tree.
005.JPG

The shower kind of past as I went in search of why I had come this way.........
008.JPG

Poppies, & although the wind & rain we've been having recently had taken its toll on them it was still quite an impressive sight.
011.JPG

Although pleased that I had found what I was looking for another tyre check took some of the gloss off as it was apparent that I had a slow puncture so rather the hassle of changing the tube I pumped it up again & headed for home, down through Coombe Bissett & Nunton, where it looked like I'd dodged a bullet as the roads were saturated but the rain had stopped & this theme continued all the way back through Downton & the forest so whilst my back was wet I stayed reasonably dry.

62.3 miles in total & a very flat tyre by the time I'd got home!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/620242946/overview

13 rider

Guru
So today was the Leicester cycle chat meet up ride .As I had organised the ride I felt I should get to the meeting point early but too much faffing saw me leave later than planned . Full gas Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley to Cossington 6.5 miles at 20 mph got me too the meeting point first . Next to arrive was @Joobert then ,@tallliman who had gone the non straight route we should chatting waiting for @Supersuperleeds to arrive which we I'd with 5 mins to spare already having done a metric ton :eek:.So off we go on the first 50km loop up Humble lane and up the Wreake Valley Ratcliffe on Wreake, Thrussington ,Hoby riding at a nice steady pace 16mph we were saving @Joobert legs as he's doing a sportive tomorrow but it surprising when a group gets going you fly along .Right through Frisby on the Wreake and across the A607 into the quiet lanes around Gaddesby and sun starts to come out . After a few miles on quiet single track roads it's into the A607 for half a mile and turn to Asfordby glad to be off the A607 .Through Asfordby and onto the the proper climb of the day Saxelby hill me and @Joobert at the back as @Joobert says he saving his legs I pull in behind him to let a milk lorry by and he's gone so much for saving his legs so accelerate catch the group then @Supersuperleeds says when I organise a hilly ride he's not coming :rolleyes:up the single track road to Wartnaby and then the nice run to the cafe nice bit of rolling road at 20 mph . Into to cafe Nice Pies at Old Dalby and down the non cycling friendly drive . Coffee and cake ordered and delivered .Just remember when you sit outside check the plastic chairs are dry :okay: or you may get a wet bum .After a very relaxed coffee and chat we resumed walking up the gravel drive it's that iffy .back on the road heading back to Sileby the sky to our right is black but that's ok winds blowing it away .back to Sileby very Seagrave and berrycott lane .At Sileby @Joobert turn for home having done a metric half due to excellent planning :whistle:. The three of us were planning a further 12 mile loop . Heading towards Mountsorrel it's starts to spit then proper rain quick decision by the organiser me to stop under the A6 bridge . Stood sheltering hoping it's going to stop but no so change of plans as we all bail and head home @tallliman went right me and @Supersuperleeds went left through Mountsorrel where I inadvertantly sprayed @Supersuperleeds with my non mudguards bike sorry:shy: into Rothley where we parted company within half a mile I was on bone dry roads in :sun:so off with the rain jacket and plot a route home to get past 50 miles in so Swithland around the back of Bradgate park and Home 52.2 miles done in mainly lovely conditions with a soggy bit . Nice ride with nice company and a lovely cafe stop hope everyone enjoyed it .We will do it again . Hope my first go at organising wasn't too haphazard with poor instructions on navigation:whistle:

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
So today was the Leicester cycle chat meet up ride .As I had organised the ride I felt I should get to the meeting point early but too much faffing saw me leave later than planned . Full gas Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley to Cossington 6.5 miles at 20 mph got me too the meeting point first . Next to arrive was @Joobert then ,@tallliman who had gone the non straight route we should chatting waiting for @Supersuperleeds to arrive which we I'd with 5 mins to spare already having done a metric ton :eek:.So off we go on the first 50km loop up Humble lane and up the Wreake Valley Ratcliffe on Wreake, Thrussington ,Hoby riding at a nice steady pace 16mph we were saving @Joobert legs as he's doing a sportive tomorrow but it surprising when a group gets going you fly along .Left through Frisby on the Wreake and across the A607 into the quiet lanes around Gaddesby and sun starts to come out . After a few miles on quiet single track roads it's into the A607 for half a mile and turn to Asfordby glad to be off the A607 .Through Asfordby and onto the the proper climb of the day Saxelby hill me and @Joobert at the back as @Joobert says he saving his legs I pull in behind him to let a milk lorry by and he's gone so much for saving his legs so accelerate catch the group then @Supersuperleeds says when I organise a hilly ride he's not coming :rolleyes:up the single track road to Wartnaby and then the nice run to the cafe nice bit of rolling road at 20 mph . Into to cafe Nice Pies at Old Dalby and down the non cycling friendly drive . Coffee and cake ordered and delivered .Just remember when you sit outside check the plastic chairs are dry :okay: or you may get a set bum .After a very relaxed coffee and chat we resumed walking up the gravel drive it's that iffy .back on the road heading back to Sileby the sky to are right is black but that's ok winds blowing it away .back to Sileby very Seagrave and berrycott lane .At Sileby @Joobert turn for home having done a metric half due to excellent planning :whistle:. The three of us where planning a further 12 mile loop . Heading towards Mountsorrel it's starts to spit then proper rain quick decision by the organiser me to stop under the A6 bridge . Stood sheltering hoping it's going to stop but no so change of plans as we all bail and head home @tallliman went right me and @Supersuperleeds went left through Mountsorrel where I inadvertantly sprayed @Supersuperleeds with my non mudguards bike sorry:shy: into Rothley where we parted company within half a mile I was on bone dry roads in :sun:so off with the rain jacket and plot a route home to get past 50 miles in so Swithland around the back of Bradgate park and Home 52.2 miles done in mainly lovely conditions with a soggy bit . Nice ride with nice company and a lovely cafe stop hope everyone enjoyed it .We will do it again . Hope my first go at organising wasn't too haphazard with poor instructions on navigation:whistle:

Your user name needs changing to Satnavsaysnowt :laugh:

Was a great ride, glad you detailed it out as though I recognised a few of the roads I had no idea where I was most of the time.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
For unknown reasons I was wide awake this morning at the end of a busy 12hr night shift, so elected to try a different route home. My usual commute is about 8 miles, and quite direct, but this morning I tried heading through Poyle, Datchet and Old Windsor. Lovely time to be riding, very quiet, and 17 miles clocked up by the time I got home. Unsuprisingly I slept well, and am now debating ehich way home in the morning after a slight extended 10 mile commute in tonight

Top Bottom