Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
An epic ride with @rb58, @ianrauk and @Mark Grant starting in Doncaster to finish at Liverpool Street.
That's Yorkshire to London, folks.
That's 200 miles.
We all arrived at Doncaster station almost together. I arrived on s slightly earlier train, only to be greeted by a friendly policemen, who opened with a sociable enquiry about where we were going, and then proceeded to give me a lecture about why Friday's result was a Good Thing.
After the customary photo in front of the station, we set off very slightly late at 4 minutes past midnight.
Ross has always organised this ride extremely well, the approximate 40-50 mile intervals between refreshment and fuelling stops making it more like a manageable group of shorter rides, rather than a 200 mile slog.
After a very swift 40 miles, the first of these was at a 24 hour petrol station in Lincoln. Not the most salubrious of locations, but it served the purpose and off we went to the second stop at Maccy D's just outside Spalding, Lincs. 90 miles done and porridge and ctheir excellent coffee went down a treat, providing renewed vigour after a fairly tough leg.
At mile 124, a tiny (Italian?) café in Chatteris, Cambs hit the spot again with more caffeine and sustenance
The next leg of 53 miles was long and hard, including a ten mile ruler straight road, with a variable surface that made the going hard at times.
After Cambridge, the ride.turned from a benignly flat one to seriously rolling. Not having a daily commute at the moment to keep the base fitness level up, I found the hills particularly tough, especially with 140 miles on the clock at that point.
So, 177 miles in the bag, and we reached Ware, Herts for some great tea and varied sarnies.
On route, we saw a variety of wildlife, two hares, a deer, many many bunny rabbits, who are never sure which direction to run in when faced with an approaching hazard, i.e. us.
Also many black slugs in the road. Do their eyes pop out when you run them over, I wondered aloud?
The last 23 miles into The Smoke were fairly uneventful until the last 4 miles, when stair rods and hailstones descended from the heavens with the accompanying sound and light effects.
Twice.
We had to take shelter in various bus stops and under trees before continuing.
Eventually, and not too damp, we reached Liverpool St. an hour ahead of Ross's predicted eta where I turned right to head West. My intention was to keep going until the clock hit 205 miles, which would be s new record for me.
Alas it was not to be.
Seconds after the right turn I got an immediate front puncture.
Changed the tube there and then, but then I discovered too late that my CO2 pump had been damaged in the off at Norwich, and wouldn't seal properly on the valve. Hopped over to Evans nearby to see if they had a pump, but they had just closed for the day.
So I've ended with 199.75 miles for the ride with 1,060m of climbing, 585 of those in the final 60 miles? At an average of 15.4 mph (15.5 last year /-the rain slowing it, I think)
Heartbroken is putting it mildly.
Thanks to for exemplary organisation and the company and support.
Sorry this is so long - there was lots to say.

Last edited:

BSRU

A Human Being
A good couple of short rides over the past two days.
Yesterdays 60km with 800m of going up. Even though 160 minutes in the saddle I had a surprisingly high NP for me.
Had someone join from a side road and sit behind me for a few kms. I just ridden up quite a steep hill(for Wiltshire) so was taking it easy having a drink and a flapjack.
They seemed to be trying hard but not attempting to overtake. Any sort of incline and they would loose contact. The last hill(just a drag really 400m long and 5.6% average gradient) before we went our separate ways they seemed to be trying to go past just before the start but by the end they were over 100m behind me.
I know I'm not the quickest cyclist on the flat/down hill but I'm not bad going up local hills, I have a reasonable power to weight ratio 3.5W/Kg.
Today just 59km with a little of 760m of going up, both rides had 16m/km for the first 40km.
A gentle 100km for me on Monday, hopefully.

"SLOW" a sign of things to come while riding up Hackpen Hill:sweat::sweat:.
C0003(3).jpg

The steep bit, 18% at it's worst:eek::sweat:, the 8% after seems like a breeze:laugh:.
C0003(7e).jpg

At least the sun was out, most of the time:sun:.
C0002(1).jpg

Riding up to a 17% gradient but it only lasts for about 150m:training:.
C0003(1e).jpg

That's one large bit of farming kit:eek:.
C0003(2).jpg

Recovery started with apple turnovers and some scotch pancakes^_^.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Charlie has told the story of our ride from Doncaster to home above. So there's not much more for me to add except to say thanks to Charlie, Ross and Mark for a most glorious, epic, fantastic ride. We had all sorts of weather. A warm night, a cold night, fog/mist, sunshine, cloudy and biblical rain. Not that a little bit of torrential rain would dampen our spirits after such a great night.

So here's a few pictures, I'll let them do the talking rather then my inane waffle.

Charlie at Lincoln Catherdral
20160625_030617s.jpg

On the road in Lincolnshire.. riding into the sunrise.
20160625_033937s.jpg

Lincolnshire Sunrise - There's a fire in the sky!
20160625_043234s.jpg

Lincolnshire Sunrise
20160625_040855s.jpg

Obligatory bike against wall pic
20160625_040833s.jpg

The Church Spire at Surfleet (it leans at over 6ft)
20160625_061332s.jpg

The guys in Cambridgeshire
20160625_114051s.jpg

So here's a map and the stats.
250616.jpg

No doubting it was a tough ride. Miles and miles and miles of very long, straight, flat roads makes one yearn for a hill or a turn. the constant same cadence pedaling for hours on end can be mind numbingly dull and hard work and as Charlie has touched upon, the rolling roads in the 3rd Quarter of the ride was very tough on the legs.

Anyway. Imperial Century #18 for the year, # 182 over all. A new Eddington number earned and a bucket full of future Eddington numbers. The bike will have to wait until tomorrow for a clean. I have earned my huge helping of Apple Strudel and Custard tonight.

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I forget who it is, but there is some CC who posts regularly who has something like 'There's no such as bad weather, it's being stupid enough to going cycling in it' as an addition to their posts. Today, I became that person.
Less than two minutes into my Sunday ride and a deluge had me soaked to the skin. I belligerently carried on and, as the sun put in an appearance, begun to dry out. Then came another torrent.
I gave up, and headed home for a towel, the hairdryer and a coffee. Now warming up and I'm glad I had yesterday. :smile:

I'll be down the pub, this afternoon, if you need me.:cheers:

This out near Henley.

June rain 001.JPG

Firestorm

Veteran
Lets just put this down as one of those ***ing days...
It started when I opened the garage to see that the contractors we got in to clean the block paving had sprayed half the crap under the garage door and over the bikes.
Half a mile in and the gears started to have a sulk, but that was sorted by a quick cable adjustment .
2 miles later it started raining so another stop to put the rain jacket on.
A further 10 miles of headwinds and another stop to take the rain jacket off and let the steam out.
Took a slightly different route which involved an "Essex Hill" or bump to anyone else, I havent done for 30 years (Hambro hill for the Locals) Short and sharpish, wasn't all the problem , it is narrow and busy, one car passed close cut in a bit sooner than I liked and I stopped.
Let the cars pass as I new restarting on a steep bit may be a problem, restarted , failed to clip on the left pedal quick enough to get the power down and toppled to the right and ended up sprawled over the road.
Getting up and looking nonchalant was probably the fastest thing I did all morning.
Took the opportunity to have a drink and a fig roll as I walked up the rest of the hill.
Decided to have a sulk and go straight home, but a mile or so later turned off onto my usual loop and got back into it.
Once back out on the loop at the point with no shortcut home it started raining again so another stop to put the rainjacket on. Decided enough was enough and took the easiest route back to chez FS.
Overall 38 miles at 13.8
Oh and I didnt put enough cream on, my shorts got damp and I now have sore bits...I am currently repeating an little mantra involving such wonderful cliches as Live and Learn, what doesnt kill you makes you stronger, MTFU , ans sod this for a game of soldiers

Mrs M

Guru
image.jpeg
Lovely day again :sun:so out on the bike, do the painting later was a good plan :smile: :bicycle:
Mr M was ride leader and decided to take us into serious MTB country :angry:
Going down the farm track poor Gloria's mudguards were rattling so hard I though all my teeth would fall out :eek:
Up a steep, narrow, muddy path with nettles on each side, jeans were no protection. Stopped at a wee bridge a some cows were staring at us over a hedge, looked like they were thinking "what's this wifie up to"?
Carried on up another steep hill and a chap and his wee lad had stopped to let us through. He had a good laugh when he saw what I was riding and I said "a Pashley with 5 gears was not quite cut out for this" :laugh:
Anyway found a short cut and carried on homewards.
Not a route I'd have gone but really enjoyed it :hyper:and the bike did great :notworthy: (maybe take the mudguards off next time)
Both bikes away to get a wash now.

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
Today i took part in my first ever cycling event, the Tour de Vale. I did the 25k with my friend and her son. The beginning was slow going as we were going at her sons pace. I stopped and waited a few times for them, and after the first water stop they told me to go on and not wait. I hit a nice rhythm and tried to maintain it all the way. I know this is not the fastest average in the world, but I am really pleased and I have my first ever cycling medal. If you had told me 3 months ago I would be able to ride 25k and not die I would have laughed in your face.

View: https://www.strava.com/activities/621246330/embed/3952da2237077a3ba66996da0f1fd7cbe458a31a

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I forget who it is, but there is some CC who posts regularly who has something like 'There's no such as bad weather, it's being stupid enough to going cycling in it' as an addition to their posts. Today, I became that person.

I think you'll find that's me :hello:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
just a quick 10 miles this morning before work. Just gone clipless and after having a couple of short practice sessions with the spd's on the aly mtb I put them on the specialized roubaix carbon and went for a spin.
Very quiet roads at 5am on a Sunday so not much unclipping to do. Just got to keep the mind on the job untill it becomes second nature to unclip.....I am hoping to not have "one of those moments"....

Old jon

Guru
Today i took part in my first ever cycling event, the Tour de Vale. I did the 25k with my friend and her son. The beginning was slow going as we were going at her sons pace. I stopped and waited a few times for them, and after the first water stop they told me to go on and not wait. I hit a nice rhythm and tried to maintain it all the way. I know this is not the fastest average in the world, but I am really pleased and I have my first ever cycling medal. If you had told me 3 months ago I would be able to ride 25k and not die I would have laughed in your face

Very well done indeed, you should be proud.

Another bright morning, some breeze which I noticed more later.

I thought about a route which included Spofforth, which is right on the northern boundary of my wall map. Probably a few too many miles, I also thought. I did something different, although the start and end details are very familiar indeed. Mind, every ride is different anyway.

So, around the lower bits of Holbeck, just reminded myself, when Barbs came to Leeds she said we lived in Lower Beeston. Apt. I usually have to cross the river, Crown Point Bridge makes that an easy task. The climb to the Oakwood Clock must have been wind assisted, it felt much easier than it has in the past, and even Boot Hill did not gasp the lungs as much as usual. The wind. At the top, turn right to follow Red Hall and Skeltons lanes to Thorner Lane and down Sandhills to the Main Street, Church View and Milner Lane which continues to East Rigton via that sharp and difficult rise . . .

Turn right at Rigton Green for that rather wonderful ridge top road to Collingham and turn right and right again once there to ride out along Wattle Syke to the pair of oversized roundabouts at the end. I chose the simple option of the road through Boston Spa, and the second turn ( Cinder Lane? ) for Clifford, where I stopped to eat and drink at the top of the hill past the old convent.

My obvious route home from there, into the wind of course, is Bramham, Thorner and a retrace in reverse of my ride out this morning, so that is what I did, completing 31.8 miles in the process for yet another great ride this morning.

This map is flat, the roads had hills, honest.

26062016.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

Newton Regis the destination, 43 miles the journey. I got up this morning looked at the wind blowing the tree's around, looked at the grey sky and wet ground, we'd had a shower just before I got up, and didn't feel like going out. But by half nine the sun was out, it was warm and it seemed a shame to stay in, so I dived into my cycle gear, got my bike out and was on my way. I decided to just do a short ride thinking that the country park at Polesworth would make a good destination, but when I got to Polesworth I decided to carry on to Newton Regis. A slow hard ride out, I didn't seem to have my legs with me this morning, and the wind was making me work more than I wanted to. I was passed by one of the Coventry Road Club Groups just outside Polesworth, the group I used to ride with when I was a member, much banter was exchanged as they flew passed. In the end it was a good morning out, but I think I'm getting to the stage where I need to have a break from the cycling, maybe a week off so I can come back refreshed a with my usual enthusiasm for cycling.

The pictures were taken in Witherley

20160626_124759.jpg
20160626_125345.jpg

Needed to get back by quarter to twelve so club run out of the question. So plotted a 50 mile plus route and gave it a good go.

Went through the Park , up the full length of Drift Road. Down towards Arborfield and all the way down to Frimley Green. Then through Pirbright and Knaphill and Chobham to Chertsey and home

55.95 miles @ 17.3 mph, didn't realise how fast I was going. 1512 ft climbed.

Got back at 11.40, so in time
Really good ride
https://www.strava.com/activities/621230069

Edit
Another milestone - first time 50 miles in sub 3 hour time withing this ride!

Last edited:

RedRider

Pulling through
Wow @CharlieB and @ianrauk , an epic ride! Myself and a mate did similar a couple of years ago but in the other direction, post of a slightly longer ride, during daylight and we stopped to sleep twice on the way! So not that similar really :whistle:Our route was more easterly between London and Lincoln but we also found Lincolnshire a little hard going. That county seems to go on forever and it was a relief to turn into the wolds (i think) south of Lincoln and then the road that heads northwards out of the city is brilliant cycling. The red arrows gave us a little display on the way out. Fair play doing it in one go, that sunrise must have been heartening.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We've escaped to be European. This week we will be mostly residing in the Burgundy region of France. We are staying in Laignes, a small village.

A tandem ride today. Out past the canalised river, here's a pic I took last night
image.jpeg

We were following the route de cremant but the signage was a bit, well, you know!
We went toward the village of Molesme, beautiful pale stone houses in a sea of cereals, vines on the slopes
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

We ended up in Les Ricey, a collection of 3 wonderful villages, all mingling into one small town.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

There are plenty of champagne producers...
image.jpeg

We saw plenty of buzzards and kestrels, goldfinches, Whitethroat and yellowhammer. The star bird was a black redstart.
We saw many orchids including Bee and pyramidal.
image.jpeg

We had a wild thyme....
We came a slightly different way home after Molesme. 31 miles.

Tres good.
Need to find a bike shop tomorrow, my back wheel needs to be trued. The spokes are slack and creaking...

https://www.strava.com/activities/621340468#kudos

Top Bottom