Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A hilly and somewhat windy 7 miles fitted snugly into that window that is finished work and tea time. Work getting in the way , just have to try to get out as and when time permits. Ride safe everyone....Mike.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A short one late this afternoon. A loop with Mrs Dave out from Laignes
image.jpeg

Out past cereal fields and vines, a few Charolais cattle about. From Marcenay we headed to Grizelles and back to Laignes. I redid the route to Grizelles, but then went on to Nicey, which was nice.
image.jpeg

This is the war memorial.

The sky was threatening, though nothing came of it
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/622662246#kudos

rugby bloke

Veteran
Not got around to reporting lately. Did a nice 30 miler to avoid as much of the football as possible. Weather improved over the ride, which made a pleasant change, even saw a shadow at the end !! The little adjustments I made to my cleats have made a difference and my left foot was fine over the ride. The SDP's have certainly improved my climbing, so worth the effort so far.

upload_2016-6-27_22-3-18.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/622815761

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Not got around to reporting lately. Did a nice 30 miler to avoid as much of the football as possible. Weather improved over the ride, which made a pleasant change, even saw a shadow at the end !! The little adjustments I made to my cleats have made a difference and my left foot was fine over the ride. The SDP's have certainly improved my climbing, so worth the effort so far.

View attachment 133193

https://www.strava.com/activities/622815761

That Shirley Williams eh? She keeps you pedalling!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
On holiday in Holland for the week. Arrived by ferry today. There can surely be nobody who has ever had their first sight of the Hook of Holland and the outer approaches to the port of Rotterdam and not thought to themselves "Good grief! Look what we have done to this planet".... Grim in the extreme. Then spent a morning driving along clogged six lane motorways in the drizzle, my wife feeling really ill and me still not feeling completely well after being off the bike for 3 weeks with a virus. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from the cycling this week, either, as I like my hills and my road cycling, and everything over here looked really tame and sanitised. I'd only booked a holiday in Holland instead of France to avoid the European Thuggery Championships and it felt like I'd made a mistake. Got to our cottage on a water park in Giethoorn just as it started to pour down. Not a good start.

And then something miraculous happened. The sun finally came out, and I grabbed a chance to nip out for an hour to explore some of the local lanes around the water park where we are staying. Just a quick 13.5 miles today:
124 Waterresort Bodelaeke.JPG

Thought I'd leave Giethoorn for tomorrow, so I hung a left along the canal bank and just kept going until I got to a canal T junction at Steenwijk, and I followed the next canal (the "Halfwegsdiep") for a couple more miles before turning for home when I got to this bridge (in the absence of any other prominent landmarks):
125 Halfwegsdiep Bridge.JPG

This was actually a minor road, not a cycle path, for most of its length but you'd never have guessed it. Shared it with one solitary roller-blader and two walkers ... plus a flock of geese and an oyster-catcher that I nearly ran over (surely a first?):
126 Canal at Giethoorn.JPG

On the way back I stopped a few times to take pictures of the outskirts of Giethoorn on the other side of the canal. This was the local church, with an interesting wooden bell tower:
127 Church and belltower.JPG

And some of the other bits looked not unlike the Norfolk Broads:
128.JPG

It might be pan flat around here, but I've a feeling there are plenty more lovely quiet little country lanes to explore, not just sanitised cycle paths at the sides of the main roads. Turning one corner, I had my first taster of the famous full-on headwinds that you just can't dodge in these parts, and I think there might be plenty to keep me interested. I may actually have landed on my feet here. I'll keep you posted.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:
Woohoo!
Excuse off topic but Won a pair of Schwalbe Durano's which will do nicely next winter

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
5.75 Miles down to the shops to do some shopping on the shopper. Nice warm day with a bit of a breeze and threat of rain, but it didn't happen. I rode through East Hagbourne and they still have their Billy Wagglestick themed scarecrows out and about in the village, below its the three witches from The Scottish play they are standing round a cauldron.

IMG_3569.JPG

Three Witches.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We had to wait for the rain to go this morning, and once it did we left Laignes heading for Marcenay. Through the village, roses everywhere. Then wee made our way to the small village of Larrey, again full of roses and also ladies with baguettes under their arms. A women had driven out from Chatillon I assume to give them their bread. We stopped in the village 'centre'
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On through various other small places until we ended up in a village called Vix, the river Seine ran through and there was a beautiful mill house
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

We had to double back on ourselves as we'd hit the main road. We ended going to St Columb sur Seine where we saw a nice family in their garden
image.jpeg

We then had to stop to photograph a topical sign....
image.jpeg

In Chattilon we stopped for a drink at a bar, but they weren't selling food.

We bought a few bits from the bakery and rode off to find a quiet spot. Unfortunately our route to the quiet spot involved 3km on a busy road, but it was freshly surfaced.

We ate lunch by the river at a deep pool just below the old dismantled bridge. Pastry eaten we set off again. After half a mile we had to pull up a really steep one for half a mile. I reckon 16% at its best. This was in Ampilly le sec. There was a beautiful chateau, but it we didn't stop as it wasn't at the top of the hill, we'd have never got going again!

A hop over a busy road and then it was super quiet roads all the way home
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Only 36.5 miles. It felt like more. That'll be the lumps!

https://www.strava.com/activities/623455178

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yesterday was a spin on Zwift for 16 miles. Today was a test run on my new Boardman FS Pro MTB. Wow, I've never ridden a decent full suspension, it just flies over the rough stuff. Quick blast up the Peak Forest canal, and back via Middlewood Way as the canal had quite a few walkers. About 15.5 miles.

20160628_141006.jpg

Last edited:
Different route today ....not much in the way of wind which made a change from yesterday. The rain that was forecast failed to appear which was a bonus. This getting my ride in before tea time is great. Kids are grown up now and can look after themselves so dont need to wait till missus comes home to keep an eye on them. Breaking myself in gradually i knocked out 9 mile on the MTB. Going to keep this level up for a few more rides then up it when the time is right. Really enjoying being back in the saddle. Ride safe... Mike.

Buck

Guru
A look at the weather forecast last night showed that it was likely to be the best evening of the week so after taking Buck juniors and friend to Scouts I got home and donned the lycra!!

Up out of the village and onto the Sovereign crossroads. The roads were definitely quieter with the England game on and at this point i decided to head out on what is generally a one hour route door to door.

Following the A629 all the way through to Hoylandswaine roundabout it has a great few inclines and downhill stretches to compensate. At this point I was going well - the sun on my back always makes me go faster!!

At the roundabout it was straight back down the road but then taking a left and heading around Ingbirchworth reservoir before heading up Horn Lane onto the tops then another uphill on Boradstone Road (nice and straight but blindingly into the sun!) before heading down back into the village and home.

Untitled.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/622845759

As it happened, I missed the first half of the England game, took my shower in the second half and wished I'd stayed out longer by the time the final whistle came! :ohmy:

Top Bottom