Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crandoggler

Nothing special.

Just a 15 mile ride out after a somewhat poor TT effort the night before. Bike looks nice with the new wheels though.

image.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/623309524

Swifter than I thought ride in on the Helium this morning again down 20p road and in to the city through Histon and Impington.

Didn't feel to great this morning with a fuzzy head although the cough and sore throat seems to be going;some inhaling with the menthol crystals must have helped.

https://www.strava.com/activities/625323139

Should have stretsched it for another 7kms to do the Strava distance total but will do that on the way home later.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Day before yesterdays ride. Late as usual..
As I hadn't got in from w*rk until 02:00, I arranged for some mates to arrive at my place at 09:00, so I could get a few minutes more sleep before heading out for an off road ride to Salcey Forest.
The direct route across the River Nene and the Washlands is blocked at the moment due to erosion work, so we had to take the longer way around. We still ended up riding through the construction site, but no-one seemed to mind.

DSC_0534.jpg

The team..

IMG_20160628_140816.jpg

DSC_0539.jpg

Once we reached Salcey, we had a bit of a play in one of the less frequented parts for a while before going to the cafe for coffee and cake. One of the chaps had to head home from here as time was getting on. The other three of us had a bit more time to spare so took the field route via farm tracks and bridleways towards Quinton and the home.

A great ride, not as muddy as expected, but still enough to have to hose the bike, and legs down when I got home.

Untitled.png

31 miles, with good friends in sunny weather, for a great change!
An hour or so after we got back, it precipitated it down quite heavily, so our timing, unusually, was excellent.

https://www.strava.com/activities/623416532

:smile:

Old jon

Guru
That’s better! I tend to ride happier when the rain holds off, I bet I am not alone on this one. Thirty one point two miles in the dry today, along a route I have ridden a few times since I bought the bike a year ago today.

The river has to be crossed at some stage, this morning I crossed on Crown Point Bridge, reached via the Jack Lane approach to Holbeck. Past the bus station and along the three Rs of Regent Street, Roseville Road and Roundhay Road, OK there are six Rs in that list, to the Clock at Oakwood. I am slowly improving at climbing Boot Hill, so I keep telling myself, and once I turn right at the lights just past the crest my breathing has just about subsided to normal. That is Red Hall Lane, which leads to Skeltons Lane and a left turn onto one of the Thorner Lanes that we seem to have a few of. Through the village, up Church Hill and onto Bramham Road.

Before reaching the village proper, turn left onto West Woods Road and ride all the way to Wetherby. The river was quite a bit higher than usual, there must have been some rain yesterday. An easy decision to return along the A 58, it is some time since I have ridden up through Scarcroft village, a long uphill from where the railway bridge once was at the bottom of Bardsey. Still a stiff climb though. Reward arrives in a quick fling down that hill again, and back across the river to home.

A map, wonder if I can remove the white arrow in the black circle in the green shape?

30062016.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

Hatton Locks the destination, 50 miles the journey. After yesterdays rain it was nice to get up this morning to sunshine, but it was the stiff breeze that I could have done without, made the ride hard and slow. My usual scenic ride out to Hatton, and I made the mistake of not warming up properly at the start of the ride, just flat out into that breeze from the start, I paid for that a couple of miles down the road, I had to back of for a few miles as I had a few complaints from my chest, once I'd given it a couple of miles to settle down it was fine. I decided on a shorter ride home, right into firs lane and onto the main road, across to Temple balsall and onto Balsall common and then my usual route home. Not one of my finest rides but it was fun and it was nice to get out of the house, I'd spent a lot more time in the house than usual this week, my Yoga class was cancelled due to the instructor picking up an injury plus time waiting in for the man who's been doing some work in the house for me.

Long ride home today via Saffron Walden,didn't quite end up how I planned it but still got some hillier bits in.

Little stop at Bicicletta at Saffron Walden for a good espresso and cake(natch).

Felt it today(148kms in total) but still a good average so pleased with that,just need to do some more hill reps.

https://www.strava.com/activities/625725749

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Day 4, Holland. Really struck gold today. Decided to head off to the West through the marshes of the national park that I am staying in near Giethoorn. About a mile down the road, at Dwarsgracht, the road stopped and became a foot/cycle path only until the village of Jonen. More little wooden bridges to be crossed, and the lovely sight of a stork's nest on a pole outside the village.
DSCF4077.JPG

This was followed, joy of joys, by a little ferry. Don't know what it is about ferries, but knowing I'm going to go on one always lifts my spirits instantly. I ignored Chris de Burgh's advice and paid the ferryman before he got me to the other side. If assessed on a cost versus distance basis, this was probably the most expensive ferry trip I'll ever take. As it was, though, it only cost 1 Euro 10 cents....... albeit to travel just three times the length of the ferry! Had to stop and ring a bell to attract the ferryman across the canal.
DSCF4080.JPG

I attempted to strike up a conversation with the ferryman, but quickly realised after saying good morning and asking how much it was, that I'd used up two of my five Dutch phrases in quick succession. As I didn't need to know where to get a beer, and didn't want to talk about football, the linguistic well had well and truly run dry. Unusually for a Dutchman, he didn't appear to know any English, and I was embarrassing myself with my lack of language skills, so after taking one last photo looking back across the canal, I made a swift Brexit.
DSCF4081.JPG

Carried on across the marshes (full of geese, herons and storks) to the delightful little town of Blokzijl, where I came across another stork's nest on a pole, and watched the youngsters being fed by their parents. At least ten other storks were flying around at the time. When I returned with Mrs Donger later in the day, we sat watching Junior flapping his wings and jumping up and down, clearly about to fledge in the next day or so.
DSCF4084.JPG

Blokzijl had been just a name on a map before I got there, but I have to say it was the prettiest little place I have found in three visits to Holland so far.
DSCF4088.JPG
After Blokzijl, I wasted a few minutes heading off into a stiff Souwester along a dull cycle path alongside a main "N" road. Apart from the surprise finding of a vineyard of all things (where I later came back and bought a rather nice, though expensive, bottle of white wine and some lovely strawberries) there is little to be enjoyed on some of these main roads around here. Flat, straight and rather featureless on the whole. And when you are heading into the wind, it can be brutal. I was fortunate enough to have a following wind on my return journey for about 6 miles, doing a steady 20mph with absolute ease.
DSCF4089.JPG

I'm not actually sure I would want to tour through Holland, using such cycle paths .... I'm just glad to be based in a national park full of quiet little lanes and villages full of thatched houses and barns. As soon as I recognised a place name on a signpost, I turned off and headed back home through the marshes. So long as you have a local map showing the information points ("knooppunts") around the national park it is quite easy to get around by just following directions to the next numbered point. This really would be an excellent centre for a family cycling holiday that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to any of you who have kids.
DSCF4076.JPG

I'm normally a committed helmet wearer, and certainly wouldn't try to encourage anyone not to be ... but it all feels so safe around here that I have gone lidless all week so far without a care in the world. Lovely to feel a breeze on your bonce for once.
DSCF4090.JPG

I'm actually getting a bit concerned now, as I haven't been out of the big ring or seen a hill all week. When I get back home, am I going to feel like Tim Peake after six months in space? Will just have to keep pedalling as much as I can and hope I don't lose any conditioning. Just 20.6 miles today. Happy cycling everyone. Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
Having got my chores completed this morning, Mrs Buck gets in from work and asks if I was going for a bike ride this afternoon? Well, it would have been rude not to!

Once out of the village, I headed west down into New Mill as I wanted to have another go at the Jackson Bridge climb up the Sheffield Road. I'd got myself into a nice steady rhythms, typically for me on hills quite slow, but moving! Another (slimmer and taller!) cyclist went past me at a good pace on his Cannondale Synapse. I wasn't jealous (of his physique or his bike) at all, honest...

At the top of the hill a right turn had me exposed to the wind, much stronger than I'd been expecting and so, there was nothing else for it but to dig in and keep pedalling. Over the next crossroads and more of the same before a left turn took me up the last of the hill and a long descent past Winscar reservoir to Dunford Bridge.

Turning left I then headed up Brook Hill Lane which has a steep section and I was conscious of a car holding back due to the narrow road and poor visibility so, I pushed a little harder and was rewarded with a new PB of 1:31, bettering my previous effort by over 12 seconds :biggrin:

Through Carlecotes then onto Millhouse Green, Thurlstone and into the outskirts of Penistone.

Heading past Scout Dike and Ingbirchworth reservoirs and up Horn Lane, again battling the wind. At the junction I normally turn right and head for home but as I had a little more time I decided I'd head straight on and head home the longer way. As I headed onto Brown's Edge Road, the wind was full in my face almost stopping me in my tracks for a second. A gritting of teeth and change of gears and I grinded on and through - I was just glad it wasn't raining!

Oops had I tempted fate as I then felt a few drops of rain and the sky was certainly looking moody.
image.jpeg

Turning right and heading up the cheeky chicane then a nice run in home and avoided the rain in the end.

The wind took a little enjoyment away from today's ride but it stayed dry and some enjoyable challenges on the ride. Also nice to be out for more than an hour and put a few more miles in.

image.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/625639619

22.7 miles and 1900ft of climbing

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    185 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Commuting miles as is usual in the week, however today I managed to be ready well ahead of my usual time so I set out early and took the long way in to work. The route was through Condover, Pitchford, Acton Burnell and Cressage before turning back north through Wroxeter and onwards to work.

The traffic was relatively light on the A49 which is always good but busier than I'm used to on the minor roads until I'd passed Acton Burnell, from where I had the lanes mostly to myself down to Cressage.

The rest of the way wasn't overly busy either with minimal bad driving unlike the last few days where I've had more than my fair share of close passes.

We had a manic last hour at work and trying to get the rush of orders packed and sent out meant I was 20 minutes late getting away. I took my normal route back and had an uneventful ride home, mostly against the wind so I couldn't rush too much.

28 miles for the round trip at a pleasing 13.9 mph average.

DSC0003601.jpg

A nice bucolic scene on the way to Wroxeter. I'm lucky to have views like this on my commutes.^_^

Last edited:
https://www.strava.com/activities/626023541/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB

The third instalment of the Mettricks social Sky rides tonight. I've created a monster:eek:. The moaning and whinging about how some people would have taken a different route here, or there or somewhere, started, and it was too quick for some, too slow for some etc. This isn't one I get paid for, so I can't be arsed. I'll palm it off on to one of the other smart arses from now on:bicycle:.

It was mostly fun though (too many cooks spoiling the broth).

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

All good:thumbsup:.

Last edited:
Last night's ride

Wanted to have a go at the clubs 10 mile time trial

The start is located just beyond Chertsey, went over there with a bit of a hill to warm me up.
There were a few spots of rain, but fortunately these did not amount to anything

The couse I have tried, not as part of a TT, goes up Fancourt, through the tree linne route, then across Chobham Common to the roundabout, and the across to a loop around Valley End, then rejoin the original route to the start.
The course is not very flat and has a steep little hill half a mile from the end. There are over 500 feet of climbing.

So I went off like a hammer and tongs and had to ease off a little. Managed to get about 4 miles down before anyone passed me, immediately then was passed by another - who passed the first guy too. Two more passed me before then end!

Gave it a hard go, managed a time of 32 mins 05 sec. That was tough, and of course I was going a fair bit harder than my only other TT, 25 miles.
Probably could have managed my effort better. This was slightly better than when I tried the course on my own. There was a bit of wind.

Took a few minutes to recover chatted to some of the familiar and not so famliar faces and home again

Here is the TT
https://www.strava.com/activities/625922570

And the journeyover and back
https://www.strava.com/activities/625922498
https://www.strava.com/activities/625922573

Mrs M

Guru
Last night's ride

Wanted to have a go at the clubs 10 mile time trial

The start is located just beyond Chertsey, went over there with a bit of a hill to warm me up.
There were a few spots of rain, but fortunately these did not amount to anything

The couse I have tried, not as part of a TT, goes up Fancourt, through the tree linne route, then across Chobham Common to the roundabout, and the across to a loop around Valley End, then rejoin the original route to the start.
The course is not very flat and has a steep little hill half a mile from the end. There are over 500 feet of climbing.

So I went off like a hammer and tongs and had to ease off a little. Managed to get about 4 miles down before anyone passed me, immediately then was passed by another - who passed the first guy too. Two more passed me before then end!

Gave it a hard go, managed a time of 32 mins 05 sec. That was tough, and of course I was going a fair bit harder than my only other TT, 25 miles.
Probably could have managed my effort better. This was slightly better than when I tried the course on my own. There was a bit of wind.

Took a few minutes to recover chatted to some of the familiar and not so famliar faces and home again

Here is the TT
https://www.strava.com/activities/625922570

And the journeyover and back
https://www.strava.com/activities/625922498
https://www.strava.com/activities/625922573
Well done :smile:

Top Bottom