Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Fortunately I had the choice of when to work & when to ride today so I chose a morning ride as rain was due this afternoon (& arrived bang on schedule).

It wasn't the warmest of summer mornings & long sleeves were definitely the order of the day, even at 10am as I set off on one of my regular midweek sorties up to Redlynch in the north of the New Forest & back home again for a 31.2 mile round trip.

https://www.strava.com/activities/623350015

027.JPG

030.JPG

029.JPG

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Day 2 in Holland. Two rides from Giethoorn today, the first a 22 miler mid day ride down to Vollenhove and back along a mixture of traffic free cycle paths and traffic free roads. The second was just a little 6.5 mile spin along the canal bank to the neighbouring village of Dwarsgracht and back just before the sun went down. First stop, the little village of Sint Jansklooster:
130 Sint Jansklooster.JPG

Then down some lovely quiet little lanes past more thatched cottages than I've seen before in a lifetime. This was near Moespot, just outside Vollenhove:
131 Moespot.JPG

The roads really were that empty. When I got to Vollenhove I got a litttle lost, and must have spiralled my way around the whole town before finding the quaint old part. Cobbled streets everywhere. Felt like I was riding one of the Flanders Classics.
Vollenhove:
132 Vollenhove.JPG

Eventually found the old town area by focussing in on the church tower:
133.JPG

135.JPG
136.JPG

Then back down the same quiet lanes, retracing my steps to Giethoorn:
137Moespot again.JPG

When I got back, I found that Mrs Donger had dragged herself out of her sick bed and was on the patio, reading a book. I did a bit of stalking from among the rushes opposite:
138 Bodelaeke house.JPG

The only down side today was, when crossing a causeway across a big lake, I was constantly pelted by swarms of mozzies that hit me in the face like someone was chucking sand at me. Had to deep clean my beard when I got home!
Just time this evening for a second ride, along the canal bank into Dwarsgracht and back. A lovely little haphazard collection of canal side thatched cottages:
139 Dwarsgracht.JPG
Great little place (with a nice looking pub just half a mile further on, too):
140.JPG

Really getting my mojo back now, after three weeks out with a virus. Good job, too. I've got another 100km audax coming up soon. Some great wildlife spotted today, too. A marsh harrier, a great big hare and several storks. Having a great time. Cheers, Donger.

Old jon

Guru
The rain started as I left the house. And stayed with me all around the shortened ride. That might teach me to shut up about how good the weather has been . . .

The ride started, as ever, by visiting Holbeck, which puts me on the towpath at Office Lock, to ride to Viaduct Road. That rain was cold. I usually raise a sweat riding up Cardigan Road, even in winter, but not today. Through Headingley to the Ring Road at Lawnswood and it was not the most fun ever. The grey cell must have been working overtime, turn right at the lights to ride through Adel, cross King Lane to ride on towards Eccup village, through the village, such as it is, and around Eccup reservoir, carrying on to reach the A 61. Turn right, back towards Leeds, and then left at Alwoodley Gates traffic lights onto Wigton Lane, which takes you to Shadwell via Slaid Hill. Before Main Street starts dropping too far, turn right onto Gateland Lane and follow that to the A 58.

Inevitably, this takes me on to my consolation descent of Boot Hill, yet again, and the trip across central Leeds to reach home 21.6 soggy miles after leaving.

And a map to illustrate bicycle swimming.

29062016.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Today's tandem ride was along the canal de Borgogne from Tanlay to Tronchoy.
There were big, fluffy clouds, some dark, but it was a dry day that improved.
At Tronchoy we stopped for a picnic. Mrs Dave nodded off, I went and made friends with the locals
image.jpeg

She was a nice old girl, and she enjoyed a scratch.....
image.jpeg

Once my beloved awoke we returned to riding through a few lanes, then a return to the canal. The weather was improving...
image.jpeg

Along the banks there were wildflowers galore
image.jpeg

After we took some pics Jo found herself at the front of the bike... "I may as well try it"
After about 5 failed attempts and many expletives we were off, for at least 5 yards! She was killing herself laughing. She decided there and then that she was happy in the back row. So was I!
Coming in to Tanlay we saw a great tree stump
image.jpeg

In the village there is an avenue of trees leading to a chateau
image.jpeg

It was beautiful as you can see. What could be nicer? We went through the first arch that you can see, and we looked left
image.jpeg

The first bit had been the gatehouse !
The stable block was huge too. The chateau was surrounded by a moat, there were hefty carp in there.
image.jpeg

We rode away down the drive pretending it was our own estate. Not sure I could afford the gravel for the drives!

https://www.strava.com/activities/624500873

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Day off in lieu today, rain is forecast about lunchtime so its straight out this morning...
Peterborough, Head west to Elton, Wansford, Kings Cliffe, Blatherwyke, Bulwick, Southwick, Fotheringhay, Elton and back.
34 miles. Half a dozen Red Kite, one buzzard sat on a gate no more than 10ft away as I trundled past, several goldfinches, one yellowhammer etc etc.
One completely uneccessary breakfast at a cafe, egg on toast, bacon, beans and fried tomatoes with a mug of tea...£3...be rude not to eh.
Bit breezy bit beat the rain. Very good.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After yesterday's 32 miles I fancied a shorter pedal, and judging by the weather forecast that would be best. Noticeably cooler today and quite breezy too. No route in mind, so headed towards St Anne's hill. Had a wildlife incident, ran over a squirrel:sad:. We both did the 'after you, no, after you' thing and then the little bugger ran under my front wheels before disappearing into a Bush. Hope he was ok...
Ended up doing Chetsey and Walton, started raining 6 miles from home, so ended up a rather damp 21 miles.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A horrible wet ride to the cinema today to see a film that was disappointing to say the least. And a blustery ride back, 5.75 miles on the hybrid. No photos today 'cos the weather was pants.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Holland, Day 3. 23.6 miles. A bit of a ride of two halves today. All the sightseeing in the first hour and most of the miles in the second one. I was actually looking for a cycle path heading East through Giethoorn so I could head off via quiet lanes to Meppel, the biggest town around here, but I missed my turn. Ended up in the most amazing little warren of canals and shared foot/cycle paths among all the thatched cottages of old Giethoorn.
143 Giethoorn.JPG

These were the only shots I could get without boatloads of Japanese tourists in them!
144.JPG

I don't know if I was meant to, but I managed (very cautiously) to ride over most of these little bridges. Didn't want to put on a comedy show for the Japanese.
145.JPG

It just goes on for miles like this:
146.JPG

148.JPG

Spent the best part of an hour there, so had to sprint to get any miles in. Turned wet and windy, and the route wasn't that photogenic anyway, except for the causeway across a couple of lakes on the way to Meppel, by which time it was tipping down. By the time I got to the outskirts of Meppel, it was time to turn around, so I gave up and sprinted off into the teeth of a Souwester for about 6km before turning northwards towards Blauwe Hand and Giethoorn. After all that into-the -wind stuff I was cream crackered ... a bit like these young fellas I came across on the way:
149 Horses near Meppel.JPG
A bit of a storm rolling in right now. Hope that's not the end of the decent weather .... I'm hoping to get out for another 20-30 miler in the morning. Happy riding, everyone. Cheers, Donger.

gavgav

Guru
What a paltry month June has been for cycling. I was in danger of this being my lowest monthly total in 2016, so dragged myself out after work, with a small abatement in the incessant monsoon that Shropshire has experienced this month. Wish I hadn't bothered.

Set out in sunshine, but extremely strong and gusty winds, along the cycle paths to Heathgates and then splashed my way along the flooded and muddy old canal path to Uffington.

Out onto the road to Upton Magna, climbed up East Haughmond hill and then took the lanes back round to Upton Magna, which were as badly flooded as in the height of the last Winter :wacko:

Bumped my way along the Pelham Rd, to Berwick Wharf, before battling the wind to Atcham and then it started to pour down with rain again for the 3 miles back home, meaning I was drenched and the bike is as dirty as it was in Winter.

Sun came out just as I got home :cry:

18.1 miles to drag the monthly mileage up to 128, probably about half of what I would have wanted to do in June.

The weather forecasters tell us that July is going to be just as bad......roll on September when I depart the UK for a week!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
What a paltry month June has been for cycling. I was in danger of this being my lowest monthly total in 2016, so dragged myself out after work, with a small abatement in the incessant monsoon that Shropshire has experienced this month. Wish I hadn't bothered.

Set out in sunshine, but extremely strong and gusty winds, along the cycle paths to Heathgates and then splashed my way along the flooded and muddy old canal path to Uffington.

Out onto the road to Upton Magna, climbed up East Haughmond hill and then took the lanes back round to Upton Magna, which were as badly flooded as in the height of the last Winter :wacko:

Bumped my way along the Pelham Rd, to Berwick Wharf, before battling the wind to Atcham and then it started to pour down with rain again for the 3 miles back home, meaning I was drenched and the bike is as dirty as it was in Winter.

Sun came out just as I got home :cry:

18.1 miles to drag the monthly mileage up to 128, probably about half of what I would have wanted to do in June.

The weather forecasters tell us that July is going to be just as bad......roll on September when I depart the UK for a week!
Have a like for getting out. Shame about getting soaked though.

I don't know if you noticed the marks on the road on the way to Berwick Wharf - I think they might be planning to repair/resurface in the not too distant future.

gavgav

Guru
Have a like for getting out. Shame about getting soaked though.

I don't know if you noticed the marks on the road on the way to Berwick Wharf - I think they might be planning to repair/resurface in the not too distant future.
Not before time! Another set of roadworks though, it's almost impossible to drive or ride anywhere in Shrewsbury at the moment without encountering them!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A nice 11.5 mile pre work shakedown on the Pollard i recently finished , nice and dry for a change with blue skies as well .

Normal loop of up the mad mile along to Mears Ashby (stopped en route to adjust rear mech) now all 6 gears are operational i carry on towards Earls Barton , Grt Doddington and back into the boro .

All in all well worth the effort and longest ride to date on the Pollard and its first on the open road .

Top Bottom