Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Did a variant on my local loop this evening. Out through St Ippolyts and Gosmore up to Preston, round the back to Whitwell, up past the Strathmore Arms (and no, I didn't drop in for a restorative :cheers:) then up Preston Hill again and down to St Ibbs, then back home.
23 miles on the blue Ribble road bike with its new raised stem. It looks a lot less racy now, but I can ride it without hurting my neck. I'm less supple than I used to be :cry:

Bit late leaving this morning so stepped on the gas early on,kept it up along the A10 to Waterbeach and decided to stop the Garmin there as I was curious to see what the average would be without the stop start of going through Waterbeach and Cambridge.

So pretty pleased with a 37.2kmh average(that's about 23mph in old money),not bad on a 1x10 geared cross bike;

https://www.strava.com/activities/618011142

After that exertion:sweat: it was a more leisurely roll in to Cambridge for Coffee and toast at the Espresso Library :hungry:and then what seems like the most dangerous part of the ride,the Mill Road run to work;

https://www.strava.com/activities/618011149

https://www.strava.com/activities/618011144

Over 900k for the month and over 5,000k for the year so far:smile::bicycle:

D

Deleted member 1258

Hatton the destination, 50 mile the journey. My normal loop out but a shortened route back in, I was having a tired day today. Since I had the stents put in eight years ago I've found that once in a while I have a day where I'm tired and don't have much get up and go, it only lasts a day and then I'm fine, I suspect that I tend to over do things sometimes and I think the tired day is just my body saying slow down. A strange grey cloudy day that felt warm till I was on the bike and moving then it felt a little chilly. I took my usual route out but when I left the cafe to come home I stayed on the A4177 then turned right into Firs lane to ride back through Hasley Knob and then back onto the A4177 past the Honiley Boot then left onto Honiley road and instead of turning right for Balsall Common I carried on to Temple Balsall then turned right onto Balsall street and into Balsall Common and picked up mu usual route home. A hard but enjoyable morning on the bike and it didn't rain for a change, though its going dark as I type this.

Buck

Guru
This was yesterday's ride but as it was a late finish, the write up had to wait until today!

Wednesday evening's tend to be a regular catch up for a group of friends and we decided that as the weather forecast was decent and the nights were light, we should make the most of it!
Friend#1 was going to cycle over to me then we had arranged to meet Friend#2 at The Sovereign, a local watering hole at the top of the hill around 8:30pm.

Friend#1 arrived at 7:30pm just after a heavy downpour but luckily the weather started to brighten up thereafter with a beautiful sunset. We headed up Marsh Lane out of the village then took a right on the long sweeping descent into New Mill and then into Holmfirth. We had a little heart raiser as an old dear in a car up ahead decided to stop without apparent reason causing everyone else to stop. Fortunately, we had a good gap between us and the cars in front and despite having to brake heavily all was good! (phew!)

In Holmfirth, we took a left and headed up the long pull that is Dunford Road (1.5 miles of 7-10%). Now I like this road as it is a challenge for me but as some of you know I am not quick on hills so I selected grind mode and kept turning the wheels until I was at the top. At this point it's worth mentioning that my friend is a top drawer cyclist and has just returned from his annual trip to the Alps/Pyrenees where he takes on some of the big climbs such as the Col de Colmbiére and the like. He is gracious though and despite making it look like a walk in the park, he did stay with me for most of the time.

After a short and relatively flat stretch past Hade Edge we then carried on up the Penistone Road and took a left to start to head to The Sovereign to meet up with Friend#2.

There's a nice little uphill chicane on the way which is c.15% and has a couple of nasty apexes so this is always worth a blast which we did then took it steady as we headed back.

On Haddingley Lane we came across the finish of an evening's meet/race organised by one of the clubs - lots of Holmfirth CC and Holme Valley Wheelers shirts - there looked to be 50 or so riders and definitely a good meet.

We then met up at The Sovereign (still no beer at this stage!) with Friend#2 and headed back down to New Mill. This time we took a left onto the Sheffield Road, which is a relatively steady incline apart from the last stretch which peaks at 8-10%, up past the Spiced Pear and then to the crossroads a quick right then left and we arrived at The Fox House for a quick liquid refresh (unfortunately indoors as the midges took a liking to us!)

Back in the saddle we retraced our route and back up the chicane at Hogs Lane and back to the Sovereign for another rehydrating drink and then we parted ways, with me heading back down the main road to home.

I realised when I got home that I had parted company with my drinks bottle on the descent so when I went up to vote this morning, I retraced the route and found my bottle at the side of the road - result!

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 12.55.29.png

22 miles 2,129 ft climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/617723000

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Looking at the forecast last night, it seemed I would just miss the rain on my commute this morning. Looking out the window at 0530hrs this morning said I wouldn't:rain: Still, it wasn't too heavy, and off I went, splashing through some massive puddles on the way. Halfway to work it rained more, lots more, and I arrived with the 'drowned rat' look..
On the plus side we have a great drying room, so my kit will be dry, ready to get wet again on the way home.

Old jon

Guru
We are enjoying all this warm and dry stuff, the bike and I. Off for another ride around West Yorkshire again, 33.1 miles for the morning’s wanderings. As ever, I must check the water level in Hol beck before leaving Leeds to its own devices, so a wander along Water Lane, leaving to cross Crown Point Bridge on my way to the clock at Oakwood. Sun beating down, little breeze, by the time I reached it I was rather warm. And more uphill to come! Boot uphill to be accurate, but they do come to an end eventually. I turned left onto Gatehouse Lane, just discovered it is called Whin Moor Lane at the A 58 end, doesn’t change until it meets Elmet Lane ( unsurfaced track ). Anyway, into Shadwell, turn left and out to Slaid Hill, turn right for Wike, where just for a change I turned left, along Forge Lane and right at the end for a ride along the A 61 to Harewood.

The sign pointing right for Collingham four and a bit miles persuaded me to turn that way. Once in Collingham, Wattle Syke provides an escape route in the general direction of Bramham. I was somewhat bemused by the road signs for the Total Warrior Event. I do not think I will attend this, might be accepted if I wanted to take part . . .

Bramham to Thorner via the steep hills, and out of Thorner along Sandhills, Skeltons and Red Hall Lanes to rejoin the A 58 for my celebratory rush down that hill, Oakwood Clock and the wander across Leeds to take me back home. Another satisfying ride.
A map of the morning's exertions,

23062016.jpg

gavgav

Guru
Just finished the 1st four days of an 11 day training course relating to a massive new software implementation at work and so needed a chill out head clearing ride this evening.

Lovely warm evening, on my circular route around Shrewsbury, with a couple of encounters with cyclists, rather than cars!

Firstly, whilst using the towpath alongside the River Severn, I approached the tunnel under the English Bridge, which is the narrowest point and has poor visibility at the moment due to foliage. I was met by a chap cycling straight for me, way too fast, and he slammed his brakes on, with a big skid and just avoided me, saying "alright bud" as he evaded me. No, you aren't my bud, you are a tit.

Then, after walking my bike over Porthill Bridge, as directed by the signs, I got back on and cycled the short distance on the cycle lane part of the shared path, as a woman was walking her bike across the road towards me, saying "you shouldn't ride on the path" :scratch:. I pointed at the big painted image of a bike that I had just cycled over. She looked confused :giggle:.

Nothing else much to report.

14.1 miles at 12.0 mph avg.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A mid-afternoon ride today, out into the hottest part of the day. And lovely it was too - probably the warmest ride of the year so far.

To be honest, it was largely a re-run of yesterdays ride, but with a couple of minor changes for a bit of variety - plus of course no two rides are ever identical are they?

With the forecast showing "light air" from the south west, I was surprised to set off north along Coal Road into a light but noticeable headwind. :headshake:
Risked the stretch along the A58 to Carr Lane today though and entered Thorner that way along the lumpy fun route. Left at the Mexborough Arms and round onto Milner Lane and the climb up the hill that never seems to get any easier and along to East Rigton, then Rigton Green and on to Bramham Lane for a quiet run through the countryside. The only downside was that the soaring temperatures had brought the flies out and they were everywhere...
Normally Bramham lane is deserted, so you can imagine my surprise to round a corner and find a carriage drawn by two horses stopped waiting to let an MG through. Once the car passed I was waved through, so carried on over Jewitt Lane and up to Thorner Lane, through the dip and out onto West Woods Road just shy of Bramham, which I followed up to Wattlesyke roundabout.
Down the hill into Wetherby, added a slightly longer circuit round the town centre, then took Horsefair out onto Walton Road and back into the countryside.
Right for Thorp Arch, adding the loop onto Church Causeway, where I stopped for a drink and a couple of pics:
IMG_20160623_152035532_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160623_152049787_HDR_2.jpg

back on the bike and down into Thorp Arch, over the river to Boston Spa and then on to Clifford and down the hill to Bramham.
Then the climb up Town Hill and looped back round onto Paradise Way, getting straight onto the road today and finding myself pedaling south into a headwind...:headshake:
Anyway, round Bramham crossroads (technically it's a roundabout now, but what can you do..?) and then the descent into Aberford, slightly checked by the continuing headwind.
From there to Barwick, being treated to a bit of courteousness by an Arriva bus driver who hung well back on a twisty bit and gave me a wide pass (fully on to the opposite side of the road) once the road straightened out :thumbsup:
The usual slog up from Cock Beck into Barwick, then the continuing climb almost all the way to Scholes, with the treat of the downhill bit to the Coronation Tree and up through Scholes to add a few miles on.
The left / right wiggle on the A64, then Thorner Lane and Skeltons Lane to Coal Road, the onto local roads for the supposedly simple run on to home, only to be nearly wiped out by a muppet in a 16 plate Zafira who squeezed through overtaking me while I was negotiating a traffic calming chicane. The passenger window was open so I'm sure that they heard my "Goodness me, that was rather close old chap - could you not have waited 5 seconds?" :cursing:
Fortunately the last mile passed without further incident...

31.86 miles (51.27 km) in 2h 15m at an average of 14.1 mph with 1,450ft climbed. So, another metric half, glorious sunshine all round (average temperature 22.1 C) and I survived to ride another day :wahhey:

23062016.jpg

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterday, in cloudy and humid weather, I headed over to the Windhover pub to meet a couple of friends, at 10:00, for a ride up to the Waterloo Cafe on the Brampton Valley Way (part of Cycle route 6) for coffee and cake. Unfortunately, one had to turn back after the first tunnel due to a hospital appointment.
Still, us two carried on towards our destination. We were expecting it to be a lot muddier, as another couple of chaps we ride with occasionally had got plastered with goo a few days earlier, but fortunately a lot of the puddles had drained away. I was still glad I popped the Whale Tail on though ;)

waterloo-coffee.jpg

Excellent cake, even if my slice was smaller :sad:. Lovely strong black coffee though!

DSC_0525.jpg

It's nice up there...

On the way there and back, the two tunnels were spookily emitting a mist due to the cold air inside being blown into the warm and humid air outside.

DSC_0522.jpg

Me, bursting forth into the light.
Normally you can see the far end of the tunnel once inside and can manage without lights, but it's not easy. Yesterday, however, the end wasn't visible due the the mist at each end. Quite a weird feeling, going from hot to chilly and back again in the space of a few seconds!

Watersplash.jpg

Once out of the cafe and buoyed up with caffeine, it seemed rude not to wash the wheels in one of the fords..

On the return journey, we ended up back at my friends house for another coffee and a snack before I rode the last 11 miles home.

Back on 51 miles, a great ride, but quite sweaty and damp from the unaccustomed heat of the day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/618323933

:smile:

Last edited:
On Wednesday's ride I found my intervals hard. On looking at heart rate & power, I tried too hard, or at least at the upper end.
Needing to do more hard sessions, today decided to do some hills
First up was 4 Hill repeats up St Ann's Hill, at low cadence, then headed for Egham where I did Prune Hill once and Tite Hill twice, normal cadence but ensuring I put in hard efforts, then decided to go via Eton so through old Windsor, and up to Burnham, took a turning back, was not quite the one I thought, but no matter, it took me back the same way.

Both ways acros Eton Wick Common (or whatever it's called) there were Bulls walking across the road!
Kept up a good pace going back, made up for the slower pace at the start due to the hillls
First half of ride 15.4 mph, second half 17.7 mph

It's me so as you know my trademark is to leave a bit off Garmin, 2.6 miles at the start.
So total including this was 40.4 miles @ 16.5 mph with 1440 feet climbed

Also did a PR downhill on Priest Hill, max speed 36 mph
https://www.strava.com/activities/619201200

Top Bottom