Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I only had the chance to pop out for a couple of hours this morning, so decided on half a circuit of Pitsford Reservoir and back through Moulton Village.
When I did get home, bang on time, MrsPete said that she'd got her time wrong. It was 11:30, not 11:00!
Bum... I could have had another 30 mins pedalling :sad:
Never mind, it was nice to get out in sunny weather, with a light breeze that shifted some of the humidity until I stopped riding for a minute or so.

IMG_20160621_154000.jpg

A lovely solo 21 miles on the CX.

https://www.strava.com/activities/615926105

:smile:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Mountain Bike Ride today, I haven't used it for ages. Up towards the Ridgeway trying to find some new tracks and armed with my OS explorer 170 I did, some were good, some were awful, some dry, some very wet and rutty but an enjoyable afternoon out in the cool dry midsummer day. I did get bit confused at one point though I thought I was in Cholsey but I ended up in Aston Tirrold, outside I'm told by a kindly yokel, Tim Henman's house. Any way I got my bearings and ended up doing 15.64 mostly off road miles, I scalped some old boy on a tourer who was on his commute home, that made up for me being scalped yesterday.

1-IMG_3526.JPG

Poppy Fields.
2-IMG_3527.JPG

I got lost down here.
3-IMG_3529.JPG

Tim's Gaff
4-IMG_3514.JPG

Bike against a wall, (old railway bridge)
5-IMG_3516.JPG

A concreted by-way
6-IMG_3519.JPG

It's gonna get muddy
7-IMG_3522.JPG

Lovely innit?

8-IMG_3523.JPG

9-IMG_3531.JPG

Time for a clean.
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After a day off the bike yesterday (I'm trying to have a day off each week..), today dawned bright and sunny, so out with the RT58 for a road ride. As ever, I kind of had a route in mind, but nothing concrete. Turns out the wind was stronger than first thought, and into a headwind I started out towards Lyne then Chobham, before heading off down a new road for me, just looking around the roads I often pass by. After 9 miles I was being told it hurt, and I needed to think about that, so stopped at 11 miles and popped a pill. Normally kick in after about 20 mins or so, and as ever I aimed for home, a little peeved. Happily though, said pills did their job and I elected to take the longer way home via Englefield Green. It was whilst whizzing downhill at 25mph that a load clatter was heard, and something fell off the bike. Given I was able to stop it clearly wasn't the brakes:laugh: Turns out my front light had departed, but on retracing my steps it had survived. All clipped back on again, and bumpy bit through Callow Hill, before topping 30mph+ on the way down Priest Hill, quick enough for me thanks.
28.2 miles, glad I stuck at it, and next time it will have to be an earlier start to get out before it warms up too much.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Mountain Bike Ride today, I haven't used it for ages. Up towards the Ridgeway trying to find some new tracks and armed with my OS explorer 170 I did, some were good, some were awful, some dry, some very wet and rutty bu an enjoyable afternoon out in the cool dry midsummer day. I did get bit confused at one point though I though I was in Cholsey but I ended up in Aston Tirrold, outside I'm told by a kindly yokel Tim Henman's house. Any way I go my bearings and ended up doing 15.64 mostly off road miles, I scalped some old boy on a tourer who was on his commute home, that made up for me being scalped yesterday yesterday.

View attachment 132610
Tim's Gaff

Come on Tim!!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another hour to fill, another ride out on the hybrid. Two days in a row, what's all that about? :laugh:

Anyway, for a bit of variation I decided to head up Wood lane to Scholes first - this can be a bit "moist" after rain and the section near Cock Beck can only be described as boggy. As you know, there is only one way to deal with that - POWER! Which got me around half way through before I ground to a halt with the rear wheel spinning pointlessly...:rolleyes:
Extricated and off again, slipping and sliding all over the place for the first 50 yards, but fortunately as I climbed the hill the surface quickly improved, although the undergrowth on either side of the lane was very overgrown, almost meeting in the middle so my bare legs below my shorts got the full benefit of nettles, brambles and the like.
Past Chippies Quarry and on to Scholes Main Street for a quick run down to the Coronation Tree, shedding mud from the tyres as I went, then a quick wiggle across the junction and back off road onto the bridleway, Bog Lane where I stopped at the corner for a few photos:
IMG_20160621_161933194_HDR_2.jpg
IMG_20160621_161949822_2.jpg
IMG_20160621_162028209_2.jpg

Back on the bike and on into the countryside, with Bog Lane eventually giving way to Barnbow Lane climbing through the woods and then the quick but tricky descent down to Cock Beck (again) and the climb up to Manston Lane and back onto the road for the push into Cross Gates and over the railway bridge and the climb up the hill to Austhorpe.
Onto Barrowby Lane and then NCN R66 through Thorp Park, up the bridleway to the bridge over the M1 and then the always fun descent through the woods to Garforth.
Back onto the road for the run up to Barwick Rd, under the railway bridge and left again onto Nanny Goat Lane and the run up to the stables and then back onto the bridleway section through the fields - where I found two horses just stood in the middle of the lane.
Remembering that horses are unpredictable at the best of times, I slowed down and announced my presence ("Hello horses" :laugh:) - to which the horses looked totally unfussed so I carefully threaded my way past them and carried on under the M1 by the tunnel, making sure that the gate on the bridleway was well and truly closed behind me!
Pushed on through the countryside and down to Manston Lane again, then retraced my steps as far as the tank factory where I turned up onto Pendas Fields and the run down to Barwick Rd, the local roads up to home into yet another head wind.

11.81 miles (19.0 km) in 1h 4m at an average of 11.8 mph with 577ft climbed. Given the amount of extra off roading today, lots of it muddy, I'm happy enough with that and an hour on the bike is never wasted is it?

Used my new £1 water bottle from Halfords, which frankly looks rubbish but has a lid to keep the mud off the mouthpiece and holds 750ml rather than the 550ml of the Elite one I normally use, so I'm prepared to overlook its aesthetic shortcomings ;)
Thought the rear tyre was looking a bit under inflated when I got home, so got the track pump out and found it was down to 45psi from the 65psi I normally run it at (as was the front), so inflated both and will keep an eye on them. :pump:

21062016.jpg

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Had a good day sat up the Velolife bike cafe for most of the day chatting to anyone and everyone drinking to much coffee and avoiding the cakes on offer. New bike is going to be ready soon so getting rather excited :biggrin:. Didn't plan on going out but sat at home bored thought why not lovely evening only a few cyclists out stayed local couple of little bumps on the way to Binfield the rest just long straight flat roads (I am quite lucky really) rather hot and my sun burn from Sunday is a bit sore :cry:pushed hard and got a good sweat on.

22.2 miles in 67 minutes with a bang on 20 mph avg speed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/616446110/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB

Cheers
Mark.

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
Had a lovely ride this evening, I had a Finance Committee meeting at my local Guide Centre. It is only 5 miles but slight climbing all the way. It was pretty all the way up and when I left at 9.45 it was still that lovely twilight time. 2 months ago, I would never ever have even thought of cycling there but now, it is my first choice. 5 miles each way.

There
View: https://www.strava.com/activities/616347249/embed/65bc1baf6086dea31ada94b256e527a05a961675

Home again
View: https://www.strava.com/activities/616576847/embed/1c626515433b1e938a109331f5227388cd9137a0

Walked the dog and unexpectedly raining, so holding forit to clear and I will be out again

Well I wasn't sure it was going to clear any more so went out
(I was right there was a persistent fine rain throughout, not forecast )

Went over to 'normal' area in the lanes near Chertse and did some intervals
Well it felt harder than usual, still carrying the after effects of Sunday's ride

So decided I would abandon the hill reps,and gradually recovered, did a loop round Chobham

32.27 miles @ 16.7 mph - surprised the speed is that high after easing off for a while
692 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/617094927

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Yet another wonderful June morning, no hardship at all to take the bike out for a run around the flatter bits to the southeast. A pedal through fairly quiet Hunslet leads on to the climb up to John O’ Gaunts, the Woodlesford shortcut and the canal and river crossing on the way to Swillington. After the drop to Garforth roundabout, turn right on the A 63, through Peckfield Bar and at the next opportunity turn left for Micklefield.

Straight on through the village, well, the road does wind a bit, and turn right on the B 1217, the Tadcaster road, and which I turned off at Lotherton Gates, where I found my groove in the road to guide me through Aberford, Barwick, Scholes, three lanes and Boot Hill, to return me to my front door thirty one point six miles after leaving it. Tired and grinning.

The map . . .

22062016.jpg

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Just a little pootle today, Thought i would get out before the weather changes, there could be a bit of rain later in the week, but the weekend is looking better. :okay:
I did manage to dodge a couple of really light showers, And had an a****e in a lorry came a bit close overtaking up a hill. but apart from that a nice ride.
https://www.strava.com/activities/617150545

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A quick local loop of 20 and a bit miles this evening saw me head through Caldecote, on to Kingston and along to the Eversdens. One second it was sunny, the next it was all gloom and glum. It was as sweaty as a tramps sock!
image.jpeg

On through Harlton and into Haslingfield. I caught up with a fella, said hello as I went by. He sat on my wheel for a good 2 miles. At the junction I went right into Barton, then left. He went across the road and through the park, the direct route!
I caught him again mid way to Comberton, I sat on his wheel. His turn!
I turned off up the hill at Long Road then went on to Madingley village, then Dry Drayton. Coming back into Hardwick a big old group came the other way, must have been 20 of them.
Across the A428
image.jpeg

And home

https://www.strava.com/activities/617499434

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I awoke to the morning news announcing that Leeds City Council are bidding for money to repair the bridge at Linton which was seriously damaged in the Boxing Day floods and has been closed ever since!!! It's was previously widely reported locally that the bridge was undergoing repairs and was due to re-open by the end of the year, and yet they haven't even secured funding for it yet? Apparently if this money is secured it will be fixed by "Summer 2017"...I've only added this as the bridge closure rules out a couple of nice cycling routes from here.

Anyway, a morning ride today, and after spoiling the hybrid for the last two days it was back onto the road bike.
I sort of planned to avoid as many main / busy roads as I could given the time of day, but you can't avoid them all can you?

A well worn route up Coal Road, then Skeltons Lane and down the hill into Thorner (I didn't fancy tackling the A58 at the dog end of rush hour...).
Through the village, resplendent with bunting for this weekends Village Fair, and out onto Milner Lane and the short, sharp climb up onto the ridge and a steady run out to East Rigton. Right, then right again and onto the deserted single track joy that is Bramham Lane all the way up across Jewitt Lane and on to Thorner Lane, passing a horse and rider just before the dip, then out towards Bramham taking West Woods Road just before the A1(M) bridge.
Eventually reached Wattlesyke Roundabout and it was straight on and down the hill into Wetherby, over the bridge and up to Horsefair where i turned right again and headed out of town on the Walton Road. This was a bit busier than it is on a weekend, but all the drivers were playing the game today so all was well.
Right onto Wood Lane and the scenic run down to Thorp Arch, adding a left to loop around on Church Causeway before heading down to the bridge over the River Wharfe where I stopped for a drink and a couple of pics:
IMG_20160622_094334963_HDR_2.jpg
IMG_20160622_094444949_2.jpg

Back in the saddle and up the hill into Boston Spa, then a loop round into Clifford and the fast descent back to Bramham and up the Col de Town Hill and out on NCN R66 parallel to Paradise Way headed for Bramham Crossroads.
About half way along, the cycle route / path / bridleway was blocked by an encampment of traveling folks Transits and caravans, so I diverted back onto the road and carried on. Over the roundabout and then the quick descent into Aberford, only slightly checked by a light headwind.
In Aberford I turned right for Barwick, then continued the climb to Scholes and needing a little extra mileage went straight through the village onto the A64, then Thorner Lane and Skeltons Lane as far as Coal Road. I see from his post above that @Old jon took this route today as well, but I managed to miss him again! :laugh:
From Coal Road it was local roads down to home.

So, 31.5 miles (50.69km) in 2h 12m at an average of 14.3mph with 1,453ft climbed. A more respectable average speed and another entry in the half century bank. Plus it was lovely out there today, proper Scorchio! at times :sun:with temperatures in the high teens / low twenties all the way round.

Here is todays map, which I've entitled "Oddly shaped dog having a poo" ;)
22062016.jpg

Last edited:

rugby bloke

Veteran
Started my ride with the sort of conversation you can only have with a cocky 19 year old son:

Son: Is this your first ride with the SPDs ?
Me: Yes
Son: Ha, you are going to fall off ..

Turned out to be a very pleasant ride. At one stage I shared the route with a local club's TT course and rather depressingly was over taken by 3 riders, but my mood improved when the official photographer mistook me for a competitor and took my photo ... so I must have been doing something right.

Completed the ride with no "clipless moments" and worked myself out of the habit of unclipping "just in case". Turns out I prefer to unclip with my left foot first, don't know if that's a usual thing.

The weather was the reverse of Friday night - started off in rain and finished in lovely evening sunshine.

26 miles, 842 ft of climbing

upload_2016-6-22_21-13-0.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/617567263

Top Bottom