Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Today's ride was postponed to let the rain go through. So I met Margaret on Hook Bank and we took to the standard run around Bredon Hill. This was a tapering sort of ride for me as I'm off on the GV Tour later this week. The plan went quite well and we even stopped at Beckford Silk for coffee and cake. There was quite a stiff westerly to combat on the way back but the warm weather and the sunshine compensated for that. Got my bike packed for it's transport to Marseilles later in the week so I was on the winter steed today. All good and a nice ride with my good friend. 53 smiles on this one.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After realising that the hybrid hasn't turned a wheel since May 5th, I decided to treat it to a quick spin out while Mrs ND got tea on.
Given the time of day and not fancying jockeying with the evening rush hour traffic with the buses on strike, a largely off road ride was probably a wise idea too!

So, down to Cross Gates and across the railway line and up the hill to Austhorpe. Blimey, I did notice the lower gearing on the hybrid - initially it felt so slow, but I soon got into my stride. At the top of the hill it was along Barrowby Lane and onto NCN R66 through Thorp Park. Lots of building work still going on here, although not much actual sign of anything being achieved. Climbed the bridleway to the top of the world and the bridge over the M1, where I stopped for a drink and a couple of photos:
IMG_20160620_170342983.jpg

Looking east with the wind turbines between Aberford and Micklefield just visible
IMG_20160620_170423013_HDR.jpg

Looking back towards the fringes of the Capital of The North.

Back on the bike and over the bridge for what is always a fun descent down the bridleway on NCN R66 towards Garforth. Not as quick today though as the greenery really has gone mad since my last ride down here, closing off a lot of sight lines and meaning that I couldn't give it the full beans just in case...
Out of the woods and onto the other part of Barrowby Lane and really pushing on here on the smooth tarmac before the short climb up to Barwick Road and the duck under the railway bridge and onto Nanny Goat Lane to start the return part of the ride.
It's a bit shady on here, with trees either side of the lane and I was taking no chances with the flying pests, having my neck buff pulled right up over my nose and mouth.
Past the riding school and back onto bridleway for the run past the fields and then down, under the M1 through the tunnel and the fun section on to Manston Lane, which never fails to put a smile on my face.
Out past the farm buildings and then back onto tarmac and straight into a pesky and persistent headwind all the way back to the old tank factory, where I turned right and headed up round Pendas Fields, where I met the only notable driver of the day, who overtook me and then pulled right into the kerb and indicated to turn right, waiting for oncoming traffic and making me stop, when better positioning would have left ample room for me to filter through. Deliberate or just inconsiderate? I guess I'll never know...:dry:
Onto Barwick Road, added a quick loop around the Manstons to push the mileage on a bit, then up to home with a final loop of the block to finish off.

10.20 miles (16.42 km) in 49m 50s at an average of 12.3 mph, with just 515 ft climbed. All good though and a nice change to get out on the hybrid. Surprisingly quiet once I was off the roads, seeing just a handful of other cyclists.
20062016.jpg

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I had a few options this weekend. The FNR to Brighton, which I didn't really fancy as I think I have cycled to Brighton more then any other place. Plus the predicted biblical rain that hit for a few hours confirmed my decision to bail that one. This weekend was also the Fairies Five... Audax rides organised by the San Fairy Ann cycle club down in deepest darkest Kent. 5 different distance from 50k up to 300k. I was thinking of getting the train down and doing the 200, but decided to ride down and do the 100K instead. The ride down being 45 miles. So by the time I got home it would end up being more then a 200k anyway.

I left home at the ungodly hour of 5.30am to very quiet roads. I took it nice and leisurely just enjoying the glorious warm morning. Even stopping to have a nose around the Church and graveyard at Malding
View attachment 132409

I got to the start at Brethersden with some time to spare so stocked up on a couple of mugs of tea and a nice big handful of biccies (Rich Tea and Digestives). And then we were off, heading south for the flat marshes on the south of Kent.

for the outward journey through the marshes we were blessed with some glorious tailwinds which made for very quick and rapid progress. In no time at all I was at the first control, the cafe of Dungeness. I got my brevet card stamped and bounced the control. It was a little too early in the ride for me too eat anything.
The lighthouses at Dungeness
View attachment 132411

View attachment 132412

Poppies and Power Stations
View attachment 132414

The beaches and marshes at Dungeness really are beautiful places. The shingle beach being one the largest in Europe and is classed as a desert.

Church on the marshes
View attachment 132417

After bumping the cafe at the control it was another 10 miles or so to Hythe, the next cafe stop and ideal for a calorie packed lunch.
View attachment 132416

After Hythe, the route turned into the wind making traversing back across the marshes hard work. Flat as the proverbial pancake the marshes are (check out the elevation profile below), however there's nothing to break the wind up so when there's a headwind you sure do know about it.

Another 10 miles and I was out of the marshes and back into rolling country roads and lanes. The ride is called The Fairies Flat.. I am sure they missed this bit our when doing the recce, as it sure wasn't flat. Not a lot of climbing, but when you have rolling you sure do know about it. At least the wind had abated due to the high hedgerows and trees. It was nice just spinning away through the beautiful Kent countryside.

The Cosway memorial, Bislington. Dedicated to a local landowner and politician. Killed in a coach accident in 1834.
View attachment 132418

Lympne Castle and ruins.
View attachment 132419

Being only a 100k ride it wasn't long until I was back at HQ Control at Brethersden. By now, due to the rolling roads and the headwinds my legs were starting to feel a little heavy. Another couple of cups of tea, and ham roll and another handful of biscuits and I was good to go. 45 miles back to home. However although the first half of the ride back was pretty flat, the second part was far from it. With too mahoosive long climbs which I really wasn't looking forward too. (Why did I change the cassette from a 27 to a 25 yesterday? Doh!). As I guessed they would be, the hills were hard work, but i just gritted my teeth and went spinning away. No guilt in using the lowest gears to get up them. I have my commute tomorrow so no need to really kill the legs.

So score on the doors
155 miles for the day, in absolute glorious conditions.
Century # 16 for the year, 181 over all.
And a good few Eddington Numbers in the bag.
I am going to feel it on the commute tomorrow.

View attachment 132420

looks like you almost made it to Dover but then thought better of it...

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I had a few options this weekend. The FNR to Brighton, which I didn't really fancy as I think I have cycled to Brighton more then any other place. Plus the predicted biblical rain that hit for a few hours confirmed my decision to bail that one. This weekend was also the Fairies Five... Audax rides organised by the San Fairy Ann cycle club down in deepest darkest Kent. 5 different distance from 50k up to 300k. I was thinking of getting the train down and doing the 200, but decided to ride down and do the 100K instead. The ride down being 45 miles. So by the time I got home it would end up being more then a 200k anyway.

I left home at the ungodly hour of 5.30am to very quiet roads. I took it nice and leisurely just enjoying the glorious warm morning. Even stopping to have a nose around the Church and graveyard at Malding
View attachment 132409

I got to the start at Brethersden with some time to spare so stocked up on a couple of mugs of tea and a nice big handful of biccies (Rich Tea and Digestives). And then we were off, heading south for the flat marshes on the south of Kent.

for the outward journey through the marshes we were blessed with some glorious tailwinds which made for very quick and rapid progress. In no time at all I was at the first control, the cafe of Dungeness. I got my brevet card stamped and bounced the control. It was a little too early in the ride for me too eat anything.
The lighthouses at Dungeness
View attachment 132411

View attachment 132412

Poppies and Power Stations
View attachment 132414

The beaches and marshes at Dungeness really are beautiful places. The shingle beach being one the largest in Europe and is classed as a desert.

Church on the marshes
View attachment 132417

After bumping the cafe at the control it was another 10 miles or so to Hythe, the next cafe stop and ideal for a calorie packed lunch.
View attachment 132416

After Hythe, the route turned into the wind making traversing back across the marshes hard work. Flat as the proverbial pancake the marshes are (check out the elevation profile below), however there's nothing to break the wind up so when there's a headwind you sure do know about it.

Another 10 miles and I was out of the marshes and back into rolling country roads and lanes. The ride is called The Fairies Flat.. I am sure they missed this bit our when doing the recce, as it sure wasn't flat. Not a lot of climbing, but when you have rolling you sure do know about it. At least the wind had abated due to the high hedgerows and trees. It was nice just spinning away through the beautiful Kent countryside.

The Cosway memorial, Bislington. Dedicated to a local landowner and politician. Killed in a coach accident in 1834.
View attachment 132418

Lympne Castle and ruins.
View attachment 132419

Being only a 100k ride it wasn't long until I was back at HQ Control at Brethersden. By now, due to the rolling roads and the headwinds my legs were starting to feel a little heavy. Another couple of cups of tea, and ham roll and another handful of biscuits and I was good to go. 45 miles back to home. However although the first half of the ride back was pretty flat, the second part was far from it. With too mahoosive long climbs which I really wasn't looking forward too. (Why did I change the cassette from a 27 to a 25 yesterday? Doh!). As I guessed they would be, the hills were hard work, but i just gritted my teeth and went spinning away. No guilt in using the lowest gears to get up them. I have my commute tomorrow so no need to really kill the legs.

So score on the doors
155 miles for the day, in absolute glorious conditions.
Century # 16 for the year, 181 over all.
And a good few Eddington Numbers in the bag.
I am going to feel it on the commute tomorrow.

View attachment 132420

That bike is feckin lovely.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterday, as has been mentioned, was the London ~ Brighton ride.
I've done this one many times, so know what to expect of the day. This time, however, a mate and I got away just after 06:00 after being up at 03:00 for the drive to Clapham.
The roads there, and also cyclists riding towards the start, seemed to be quieter than usual, and we put it down to the earlier start time. Still, we made good time out of London, and thought about a quick coffee at Fannys Farm Shop, but were surprised to see it closed and being used as an ambulance parking area instead. (Possibly as there are accidents on the fast descent past it?)
Anyway, we decided to carry on until about 35 ish miles and take a short break before Ditchling Beacon was attacked. As with @mark st1 we made it up in one go, though I didn't have a gear to spare, but I did press the lever over a few times 'just in case' I found one :laugh:
More than happy with a PB though.
We made good time all the way as there were fewer than usual riders at the main pinch points and hills and we put it down to our earlier start, but someone said it's because BHF dropped the numbers from 27,000 to 14,000.

When we got to the seafront, we'd hoped for some fish and chips, but the kiosk by the pier seemed to be open, but said they were closed until 11:00! It was just gone 10:00 at this time. :sad:
I asked them if they were mad to turn down all this business but they seemed unconcerned, knowing they could buy a new Mercedes with the money they'd make during the rest of the day. Kerching!

DSC_0476.jpg

The ice cream kiosk, however, was open so we made do with that. Mine's the one with 2 flakes :okay:

DSC_0481.jpg

We only stayed in Brighton for a short while before setting off back to London. Our route, as in previous years, was the up the A23 cycle lanes, and bike paths nearby, as far as Handcross, and up it's hill, before turning right towards Turners Hill along High Beeches Lane and High Street were we were treated to the sound of being overtaken by the Chelsea Harley Davidson club out on a Sunday jolly!

Harley.png

Once fifty of so had passed us, and had ridden into the distance, our hearing returned to normal :wacko:

DSC_0483.jpg

In previous years, we've ridden back on the Monday and seen only the usual traffic. However, we thought that by lunchtime, most of the riders would have passed the Turners Hill stop, where we rested for a short while. It was heaving though, and the band was still playing!
This presented the problem of riding the opposite way to the main ride. Luckily, once we'd used a cut though to the main road, we were away from most of the throng so didn't have too much trouble. We did take an alternative route at the A264 via Copthorne to Smallwood as it would have been dangerous to ride against the flow though.
Our route back from here diverged from the L2B route, but went up some decidedly challenging bits from the top of Outwood Lane, across the M25 and then Hilltop Lane. Once past this, we knew the main climbing had been done, with only a few ups and downs to ride.
Farthing Down was our last bit of countryside before getting back into The Smoke.
From then onwards, for the remaining few miles, we were into London traffic. Happily, there surprisingly few eejits out and about, so we got back to Clapham with no issues, using the A237 and A217 to Tooting, then the A24/CS7 back to Clapham. It then took us longer to drive out of London than it did for us to ride from Brighton :surrender:

B2L 2016.png

A great day out, with 110 miles ridden in decent weather, for a change, in a reasonable time (for me)

https://www.strava.com/activities/614174846

:smile:

PS: I have one more L2B to do now. My daughter has decided she wants to do it next year, so I said I'd cycle with her as support.

Last edited:
Was going to ride in on the Weigh single speeder today but there's still some fettling to be done(saddle and levers adjuatments)so as I didn't get around to it last night I came in on the Planet X instead.

Usual A10/cycle path route and anice pace in even though the legs felt a bit stiff.

Got in just in time for the Espresso Library to be open so thought it would be rude not to indukge this morning.

https://www.strava.com/activities/615802492

Cycle path was a bit wet today;

IMG_20160621_070417845.jpg

And the reward;

IMG_20160621_071327891.jpg

Old jon

Guru
Rather warmer today so let’s go wear out some tarmac, there is plenty of it after all. A visit to Otley seemed a good idea, so a swift escape from Holbeck along the canal towpath to Viaduct Road followed by the long, long climb out to Cookridge, through Headingley and Lawnswood. Follow the same road all the way to Bramhope, mostly downhill, and turn left onto the A 660 and ride along to the Dyneley Arms, then turn right and scream down Pool Bank. Until you see the end of the queue of cars waiting to pass the roadworks. Ah well, tests the brakes. Just before you leave the village is a left turn for Otley, the flatter way this time. A quick attack of enthusiasm persuaded me to cross the river and ride up Billams Hill to turn left on the Weston road, I really must like climbing that ‘orrible ‘ill on the way to Weston, a short and sharp lung buster. By the time I reached the manor gates I did need fuel. The café does not open till Thursday so I am glad I took sandwiches. A rather wonderful view that I have yet to take a decent picture of added to the attractions, and then it is time to turn around and ride back. Into Otley again, climb the Leeds road out to Bramhope and almost all the way through turn left at the roundabout, up ( that word again ) Kings Road, to Arthington Road and along to Adel Dam to find the A 660 again for a whizz to Headingley, the Kirkstall bit and back on the towpath and home. Thirty four totally wonderful miles ridden, my legs may not agree.

What happened to the Roman style of road building? Straight lines for miles they did.

21062016.jpg

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Last edited:

mark st1

Plastic Manc
A little Tuesday pootle, Went out on my lonesome this morning intending to do a 40 mile loop of essex, But the weather was so nice and i was feeling good i decided to extend it a little so out towards Standstead Airport, ended up doing 76 miles nice ride not to much traffic and no numpties, Nice being on your own every now and then.
https://www.strava.com/activities/616148422/segments/15038037030

You have some very interesting PR's on that Strava link :laugh:

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
I decided on one of my less regular midweek sorties around the New Forest today on what started out as a rather grey afternoon but ended up reasonably pleasant once the cloud thinned a bit.
Whilst a fair bit of the route is well trodden by yours truly, there are some twisty narrow roads around Hale, Woodgreen & Godshill that I don't often do in this direction due to the downhill sections having a number of blind corners which, on the rare occasions you see a car, can be quite scary with little or no room to pass.

Another 35 enjoyable miles with plenty of New Forest wildlife for company.

https://www.strava.com/activities/616124474

001.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

I decided on one of my less regular midweek sorties around the New Forest today on what started out as a rather grey afternoon but ended up reasonably pleasant once the cloud thinned a bit.
Whilst a fair bit of the route is well trodden by yours truly, there are some twisty narrow roads around Hale, Woodgreen & Godshill that I don't often do in this direction due to the downhill sections having a number of blind corners which, on the rare occasions you see a car, can be quite scary with little or no room to pass.

Another 35 enjoyable miles with plenty of New Forest wildlife for company.

https://www.strava.com/activities/616124474

View attachment 132598
View attachment 132599
View attachment 132600
That's a nice route. I've been given a series of group rides to lead, out that way, on a Thursday evening. I may steal a bit of your route.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
You have some very interesting PR's on that Strava link :laugh:
Yes there are some great names there, another one we do is called Horse shoot Bridge, But then it is always covered in the stuff, Think the horses get a bit nervous crossing the motorway that runs underneath the bridge. Maybe that could be a new thread, Best named strava segments.:okay:

Top Bottom