Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Osprey

Guru
Overcast and 10mph wind but this is the best weather window in a while. Dry so took the Van Nic and headed off the Gower and a short stiff climb up out of the estuary into Loughor then out towards Gorseinon and Pontardulais. From Pontardulais took the narrow mountain road out towards Garnswllt which with overgrown hedgerows made for complete stops when encountering oncoming cars. Along 12% - 15% hill climbs out of the valley floor which affords great vies back into the valley with the meandering river and the farmers hastily cutting the fields before the next wet period. More meandering lanes through the villages of Garnswllt and Betws before emerging into the town of Ammanford. A quick banana stop on the side of the River Amman before retracing my steps. An enjoyable 32 miles with 1500 ft climbed.

upload_2016-6-19_16-32-57.png

IMG_20160618_093331.jpg

IMG_20160618_094922.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I did a Skyride social, to reccy my next week's Skyride Local today.
https://www.strava.com/activities/614236625
68 miles done.

View attachment 132387

Good old Boardman.

View attachment 132388

Peroni, up to 5 quid a pint, routinely now:eek:.
My legs are telling me to give it a rest, I may listen.
How do I find your Skyrides? They always look interesting, and would probably justify the drive down.

How do I find your Skyrides? They always look interesting, and would probably justify the drive down.
Look on the www.goskyride.com website.

Anything in or around Southampton or Portsmouth, stands a very good chance of having me as main, or assistant ride leader.

https://www.goskyride.com/Search/Details?eventid=79785

Here's my next one.

I've got a few more Skyride Locals as ride leader as well.

As I add my own Skyride Social's, I'll post them in this Forum.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Sunday is fun day, right? Well, after yesterdays struggle, I decided to do what I could and chose a distinctly flatter route. Well, as flat as Yorkshire gets anyway...;)

Road bike (again - haven't been out on the hybrid in 6 weeks...). Warmed up on local roads, then out towards Scholes on Leeds Road. Right at the Coronation Tree and up the hill, then down to Barwick, turning right just before the New Inn and taking Long Lane down across the M1 to Garforth, then left onto the A642 and the climb out of Garforth and across the M1 again and on to Aberford, where I might have set off the Slow Down sign...:whistle:
Right in the village and under the A1(M) bridge and the climb up to Lotherton Gates, then Copley Lane towards Sherburn, turning off towards Saxton pausing just before the village to take off a layer and grab a couple of pics:
IMG_20160619_084934167_HDR_2.jpg
IMG_20160619_085130466_2.jpg
IMG_20160619_085151342_2.jpg

Back in the saddle and into the village, I headed up the hill for a change and eventually passed the battlefield site before reaching Towton.
Through the village and then a right onto Raw Lane and the run to Ulleskelf in the opposite direction to usual. Over the railway line and then it was left to Ozendyke and Ryther, where I turned right to head for Church Fenton down the southern side of the airport.
On the long straight run from Church Fenton to Barkston Ash I actually overtook someone :eek: then a brief right / left wiggle on the A162 and the lane back down into Saxton, retracing my steps as far as Lotheron Gates, passing a second rider :eek: - what was going on..? :laugh:
From there I stayed on the main road into Garforth (forgetting what a slog part of it is in that direction...) being passed by a solo rider in Selby kit, who gave me a very cheery hello, and then back to Barwick, then Scholes they way I'd come earlier.
Fancying adding a couple of extra miles on, I went straight through Scholes and out to the A64, where I had a quick dash down to the Thorner Lane junction, then Skeltons Lane and Coal Road, before getting onto the local roads to home, adding a final loop around the block to push the mileage on.

39.0 miles (62.76km) in 2h 41m at an average of 14.4mph with 1,574ft climbed. More importantly I enjoyed the ride a lot more than yesterday and felt a lot better during and after today. It was good to do the Ulleskelf / Barkston Ash section in the opposite direction for a change too. And it's another metric half in the bag. :okay:

Looking at reports further up the page I'm surprised I didn't see @Old jon at some point today as our paths look to have crossed a couple of times. There were a lot of riders out today almost all of them friendly, so the nodding muscles in my neck are feeling it now...;)
I'm fairly sure someone shouted "Alright Dave" as they crossed my path near Aberford, but I have no idea who it was - if it was you let me know! :hello:

19062016.jpg

Oh, and todays ride put me over 1,200 miles on the road bike since February (when I bought the Garmin). I'm quite pleased with that. ^_^

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Not been out much for a couple weeks with commitments and a stomach bug late last week but thought id force myself this afternoon, despite a full stomach from a fathers day treat at our local carvery .
Set out steady, 20 miles with for the first time in ages...little headwind, a lot of tailwind and a bit of sidewind.., all good, doesnt happen like that very often.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We rolled out today at the crack of 10am. Over the A14 towards Cottenham. Once there we scaled the mountain of Twenty Pence hill and into Wilburton. There is an old, lovely brick built house there
image.jpeg

On we trundled past the fairground people's dwellings, across the poetically named Grunty Fen and up to Witchford. Our destination was Ely. Our friends live near the Maltings, we were going for a tea stop. This became a lunch stop, then a sit in the sun and gossip stop. We were also stopping them from clearing the garage and going to the tip. They weren't complaining!
On the way back I assume that @Elybazza61 gave us a wave just near the service area.
Back along whence we came until we turned off down Long Drove in Cottenham. Mrs Dave had migrating handlebars so she stopped to tinker...
image.jpeg

Long Drove was unpleasantly bumpy for ages, I was thinking I'd made a bad choice until I saw these lovely ladies...
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You can't not take a picture!
At Westwick we joined the Busway and headed toward town. A familiar face came the other way. It was a mate of ours, Stuart. A 10 minute natter ensued.

Back home up Madingley Hill, past the windmill and a call in to the shop for butter and milk.we had no room in the pannier, so Jo held them. Our right turn into our road was made with a block of butter, had we have turned left it would have been milk!

48 and a bit miles. Excellent!

https://www.strava.com/activities/614312746

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Great ride out today with friends, 10 of us set of at 9am this morning a nice steady ride out to essex, a 50 mile loop in the sun, or most of it was ^_^
Ended at the Salisbury pub for a couple of beers and a bit of grub, My daughter and family joined us later for a fathers day drinkies, Had a great weekend.It's all about the bike.^_^
https://www.strava.com/activities/614250083
pic%20tod.jpg

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Given that the Leeds-Bradford Cycle Superhighway is due to open on Monday 20th I rode home down it: https://www.strava.com/activities/613008142

Well, that was once I found where it started. Which was by finding it part-way and doubling back - surely you'd get a few signs thrown in for your £23 million :rolleyes:

The route's basically along main roads. And crosses those main roads several times. Unfortunately it's only part-finished with cones, debris and several unfinished sections. There's no markings on much of it and only the first few miles at each end are actually finished. Just out of Leeds it's impossible to use unless you cross the road. Only the crossing's not working or finished :wacko:

Oh, and there's dangerous kerbs on many sections, with dangerous junctions. The photos below are small but with larger ones on the Strava link above.

gRz3muk6_ee3E_pkC3wWUndtLeLhVmTODwRJekpGGV0-72x128.jpg
Unfinished, lots of cones and cars in it. This is Leeds Road, Bradford

Z-fQ84MKnSof3kFd1Arx19etmnW3UF73oCxKgYxLy48-72x128.jpg
Further down at the McDonalds the route just stops. With a kerb drop down either side.
2BcUTiXjwnZhqLtB-qqljiXKIUPRrbqYKFr3Xt8GpyI-72x128.jpg
A typical road crossing; diagonally across all lanes.

It took twice as long to ride as it would've done by road and I finished, somewhere in Bradford as there's no signage, a shattered nervous mess.

My opinion? It's awful. A complete and total mess which is both unsafe and unusable as a main cycle route between two cities. There are some OK bits (Armley, down into Bradford) but much is an utter, absolute dangerous shambles.

Shame on you CityConnect Leeds. You could have done so much better.

You're not wrong - check out the thread dedicated to the CSH on the Advocacy board...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I had a few options this weekend. The FNR to Brighton, which I didn't really fancy as I think I have cycled to Brighton more then any other place. Plus the predicted biblical rain that hit for a few hours confirmed my decision to bail that one. This weekend was also the Fairies Five... Audax rides organised by the San Fairy Ann cycle club down in deepest darkest Kent. 5 different distance from 50k up to 300k. I was thinking of getting the train down and doing the 200, but decided to ride down and do the 100K instead. The ride down being 45 miles. So by the time I got home it would end up being more then a 200k anyway.

I left home at the ungodly hour of 5.30am to very quiet roads. I took it nice and leisurely just enjoying the glorious warm morning. Even stopping to have a nose around the Church and graveyard at Malding
20160619_072531s.jpg

I got to the start at Brethersden with some time to spare so stocked up on a couple of mugs of tea and a nice big handful of biccies (Rich Tea and Digestives). And then we were off, heading south for the flat marshes on the south of Kent.

for the outward journey through the marshes we were blessed with some glorious tailwinds which made for very quick and rapid progress. In no time at all I was at the first control, the cafe of Dungeness. I got my brevet card stamped and bounced the control. It was a little too early in the ride for me too eat anything.
The lighthouses at Dungeness
20160619_102353s.jpg

20160619_102203s.jpg

Poppies and Power Stations
20160619_103822s.jpg

The beaches and marshes at Dungeness really are beautiful places. The shingle beach being one the largest in Europe and is classed as a desert.

Church on the marshes
20160619_094412s.jpg

After bumping the cafe at the control it was another 10 miles or so to Hythe, the next cafe stop and ideal for a calorie packed lunch.
20160619_115350s.jpg

After Hythe, the route turned into the wind making traversing back across the marshes hard work. Flat as the proverbial pancake the marshes are (check out the elevation profile below), however there's nothing to break the wind up so when there's a headwind you sure do know about it.

Another 10 miles and I was out of the marshes and back into rolling country roads and lanes. The ride is called The Fairies Flat.. I am sure they missed this bit our when doing the recce, as it sure wasn't flat. Not a lot of climbing, but when you have rolling you sure do know about it. At least the wind had abated due to the high hedgerows and trees. It was nice just spinning away through the beautiful Kent countryside.

The Cosway memorial, Bislington. Dedicated to a local landowner and politician. Killed in a coach accident in 1834.
20160619_123645s.jpg

Lympne Castle and ruins.
20160619_113045s.jpg

Being only a 100k ride it wasn't long until I was back at HQ Control at Brethersden. By now, due to the rolling roads and the headwinds my legs were starting to feel a little heavy. Another couple of cups of tea, and ham roll and another handful of biscuits and I was good to go. 45 miles back to home. However although the first half of the ride back was pretty flat, the second part was far from it. With too mahoosive long climbs which I really wasn't looking forward too. (Why did I change the cassette from a 27 to a 25 yesterday? Doh!). As I guessed they would be, the hills were hard work, but i just gritted my teeth and went spinning away. No guilt in using the lowest gears to get up them. I have my commute tomorrow so no need to really kill the legs.

So score on the doors
154 miles for the day, in absolute glorious conditions.
Century # 16 for the year, 181 over all.
And a good few Eddington Numbers in the bag.
I am going to feel it on the commute tomorrow.

160616.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom