Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
A ride out on new tyres. I was definitely NOT checking for tyre pressure at any stage today, it removes a lot of the fun and I wanted to believe what Schwalbe say . . .

One of my favourite rides, Dewsbury Road, Jack Lane, Water Lane and the towpath to Viaduct Road. Then the climb through Headingley and across the Ring Road at Lawnswood. Straight on to the border of Bramhope, and a right turn onto Creskeld Lane which leads satisfyingly downhill to the A 659 at Arthington. Along that road to Pool and once there turn right, cross the River Wharfe and a few hundred yards along towards Harrogate turn left for Leathley. After a while, turn left to cross the River Washburn, which adds up to a three river ride today. Not often I do that. It is quite a climb from there up to Farnley, but the reward is the drop into Otley, super swoopy.

The ascent of Leeds Road was a bit more of a slog than normal, a short bit of flat along to Bramhope and then turn right for the sharp climb past the church, and on to Cookridge. After this it is downhill all the way, Lawnswood, Headingley, Kirkstall and back on the towpath made it a very enjoyable 30.9 miles for the morning when I returned to my front door.

And the map of today's universe . . .

17062016.jpg

An afterthought, the Marathon tyres were kind to me, they just fitted like any other tyre.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less

Any faster down that lane @Old jon and you'd need to mount the bank to get around the corners! And with snow, you'd need a bobsleigh, not a bike. ^_^

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After a week of commuting it was nice to get out on a 'me' ride. Limited time available at the moment due to prepping for a house move and getting the camper finished, so a half planned 21 miles out through Chertsey and Walton. At Walton Bridge I decided to head on into Hersham then back to Weybridge, a route I last did about a year ago. Now I remember why I don't do it often, the road surface is shocking and saps energy. Next time I'll turn left and do Esher back to Hampton.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A little trip out to meet the fragrant MrsP on her way home from work,I took the road bike today having recentl serviced the headset I thought I ought to ride it to make sure I hadn't arsed it up.

Blewbury up the hills towards Streatley, hang a left to Cholsey then to Wallingford then back via South Moreton and Blewbury again . We stopped of at Wallingford for a bit of dinner.

Just under 18 miles for me, 56 for the missus, but she is a nutter.

A cool and dry evening.

image.jpeg

Lovely countryside around here.

image.jpeg

Wallingford market square.

image.jpeg

Some nosey cows.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

gavgav

Guru
Finally the monsoon season abated, to enable me to get my 1st ride in for 10 days and the longest of the year so far, with a bit of new territory as well.

Set out through Meole and out onto the busy road to Annscroft, the first time I've ridden it in that direction. As I passed through Hook-A-Gate I noticed that the Cygnets pub has been demolished! It needed it, as it's been derelict for years now and had become a real eyesore. Shame as I had some good meals there in my younger days.

I was glad to turn off the busy road into the lanes, passing Arscott Golf Club, down to Lea Cross, where I had rather fraught crossing of the busy main road, due to 2 artic lorries manouevering. From there I joined the very wet, flooded lanes to Edge and Asterley, before climbing up to Westbury and Halfway House. I crossed the A458 with ease, for a change, and then took the turn to Wollaston, onto the new territory.

There was a fair bit of climbing up to Bulthy and into Wales, but it was worth it for the stunning views across the plains to the Welsh mountains and also the brilliant downhill drop of about 600 ft into Crew Green.

Views to die for (shame about the low cloud)
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

There was a short section on the main road before I turned off to Melverley, crossing the bridge back into England and then onto Crosslanes, Argoed and Kinnerley. Climbed up to Dovaston and Knockin Heath, before joining the picturesque lanes to Wilcott. It had warmed up now and so I'd taken my jacket off and it was very pleasant following the NCN route to Shrawardine and Montford, where I paused to have my lunch, sat on the bench by the church.

I then joined the horrid main road to Bicton, pausing at the church for a few minutes at my Nan and Grandad's grave, before continuing to Shelton. I was passed by about 20 cars on this section and no word of a lie there was only 1 of them who gave me a nice wide pass. Complete nobbers including a taxi that came within a couple of inches of me :cursing:

I then negotiated the traffic lights at Shelton, where a car tried to pass me on the inside, braked sharply and came round the outside. What is wrong with these idiots.:thumbsdown:

From there I took the roads through Copthorne, down to Radbrook and along Mousecroft Lane into Meole, avoiding the muddy underpass this time, before heading through Sutton Farm and down to the Crematorium for a few minutes at my other Nan and Grandad's plaque.

Only a short blast home from there, but encountered the final nobber, who decided he wanted to get past me, behind the car that was turning into Sutton Farm, almost stuffing himself into the back of it, and then cutting in front of me. They were all out today :wacko:

45.1 miles with 1270ft of climbing

Old jon

Guru
Slightly cool for June this morning, it is still easy to work up a sweat. The wind seemed to be from the northwest, not easy to tell with all the buildings around here, but it seemed like a good idea to go in that direction.

Until I started pedalling.

Northwest being roughly where Wetherby is, it is a well worn route for me. Around Holbeck to ride towards and over Crown Point Bridge, along the side of the bus station and up the three Rs to the clock at Oakwood. Past the tradesman’s gates of Roundhay Park ( never open ) and climb the hefty breathing exercise that is Boot Hill. Turn left at the pub to head to Shadwell and turn left again on Main Street, after a bit of rising road Slaid Hill traffic lights and the right turn to Wike are reached. After all the early uphill, it is downhill to the bottom of East Keswick, where the climbing starts again.

Rolling country, some might call it, ‘cos there is a bit of a drop through Collingham, turn left towards Wetherby and then right along Wattle Syke. Up again, left at the roundabout and down to the Wetherby roundabout. Turn left there, back to Collingham and turn left up Jewitt Lane. When the top is reached and breathing returns to easier, the ride along the ridge top is well worth the effort of reaching it. Turn left off Rigton Green and wend along to the top of Milner Lane, which does the down and up again trick to reach Thorner Main Street, along through Sandhills to Skeltons Lane, Red Hall Lane and left on the A 58 to speed down Boot Hill and back to my front door. A total of 32.6 miles, finishing with the sun sort of shining and a grin from me.

A map of the proceedings, a bit of a tangle to unravel.

18062016.jpg

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
A slightly shorter weekend ride for me today as I waited to see Tim Peake safely land before setting off & wanted to be back for F1 qualifying which left around a 3 & a half hour window to fill.

I chose to adapt one of my favourite 100k rides around the Test Valley which whilst not having any major hills is still quite undulating with 4 or 5 steady but gentle climbs, all on quiet roads & taking in Braishfield, Kings Somborne, Little Somborne & Stockbridge on the out leg before returning via Houghton, West Tytherley, West Dean & Plaitford.

A couple of observations today were: a) that whilst the Test Valley is not renowned for the quality of its road surfaces I managed, more by luck than judgement I think, to find just about every good smooth road it has to offer & b) every other cyclist I saw, & there were many, was on a road bike & wearing a helmet!

57.1 miles in 3 hours 30 including a lunch stop so timed to perfection to allow a quick shower before Q1.

https://www.strava.com/activities/612878764

002.JPG

006.JPG

010.JPG

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Great to get out today after the wet week we've had! Today though wasn't flaming June, it was flipping cold. Cold enough for a base layer. Knees were feeling it too!

Off around Through Toft, Bourn and on to Longstowe. Saw some nice wildlife- dog roses, meadow cranesbill, goldfinch, buzzard, kestrel and yellowhammers.

I eventually ended up in Gamlingay. I'll let the pictures explain why...
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've made enquiries to the parish council, and apparently it's the doing of South Cambs DC. If councils are after saving money on mowing then this is the answer.

On to Waresley, then the back lane to Abbotsley. In Great Gransden I went round the roundabout the right way as a horse and jockey were there.
Back through the top of Bourn and up over the A428. I stuck the Knapwell and Elsworth loop in for good measure.

Once home I'd done just over 37 miles. A good warm up for tandem riding tomorrow.

https://www.strava.com/activities/613056716

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Given that the Leeds-Bradford Cycle Superhighway is due to open on Monday 20th I rode home down it: https://www.strava.com/activities/613008142

Well, that was once I found where it started. Which was by finding it part-way and doubling back - surely you'd get a few signs thrown in for your £23 million :rolleyes:

The route's basically along main roads. And crosses those main roads several times. Unfortunately it's only part-finished with cones, debris and several unfinished sections. There's no markings on much of it and only the first few miles at each end are actually finished. Just out of Leeds it's impossible to use unless you cross the road. Only the crossing's not working or finished :wacko:

Oh, and there's dangerous kerbs on many sections, with dangerous junctions. The photos below are small but with larger ones on the Strava link above.

gRz3muk6_ee3E_pkC3wWUndtLeLhVmTODwRJekpGGV0-72x128.jpg
Unfinished, lots of cones and cars in it. This is Leeds Road, Bradford

Z-fQ84MKnSof3kFd1Arx19etmnW3UF73oCxKgYxLy48-72x128.jpg
Further down at the McDonalds the route just stops. With a kerb drop down either side.
2BcUTiXjwnZhqLtB-qqljiXKIUPRrbqYKFr3Xt8GpyI-72x128.jpg
A typical road crossing; diagonally across all lanes.

It took twice as long to ride as it would've done by road and I finished, somewhere in Bradford as there's no signage, a shattered nervous mess.

My opinion? It's awful. A complete and total mess which is both unsafe and unusable as a main cycle route between two cities. There are some OK bits (Armley, down into Bradford) but much is an utter, absolute dangerous shambles.

Shame on you CityConnect Leeds. You could have done so much better.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Having not been out on the bike since last sunday, I've been looking forward all week to getting out today.

However, you know what they say about plans don't you? I was rudely awakened at 3am this morning by my calf muscle going into cramp - something that hasn't happened to me in ages and my goodness it did smart...

Anyhow, it felt OK this morning until I tried to put any weight on it, so I hopped around the bedroom a bit and it seemed to have sorted itself out by the time I was eventually ready to get out on the bike. The wind direction was showing "gentle breeze" from NNW, so I thought I'd be smart and head out into it, attempting to give myself a tail wind for at least part of the return...

Out up Coal Road straight into the 'gentle breeze' and it was blooming hard work. Across the A58 and the climb up through Shadwell to Slaid Hill lights, feeling like I was making heavy weather of it all the way (although I've since noticed it was my 3rd fastest time up there this year!).
Then Wigton Lane, across the A61 and the climb up Alwoodley Lane to King Lane and a downhill respite past Five Lane Ends before the climb past Golden Acre Park. Down Kings Road to the A660 and a straightforward gentle climb to the traffic lights at the Dynley Arms and then a quick descent into Otley.
Through the town and over the river, then right past Wharfmeadows Park and the climb up Farnley Lane, again huffing and puffing like a broken steam engine.
Eventually reached the top, then took the left and climbed up to Farnley itself, taking the right onto Cinder lane and a great up and down section to the B6161 and the rapid descent down into Leathely and on to the A658 just across the river from Pool.
Paused briefly for a gap in the traffic and as I went to set off my calf muscle cramped up again. 'Oh my goodness that is bothersome', I said as I half rode / half hobbled across the road. Off the bike at the start of Castley Lane (pronounced Cast-L-ey, as we discussed previously ;)) to stretch it out. Took a photo too once I'd sorted it:
IMG_20160618_091100730.jpg

Back in the saddle, I gingerly set off and carried on up the lane alongside the river. Fortunately it's flat(ish) along here so i was able to ease myself back into it and on reaching Castley itself I was feeling better - or so I thought!. The climb out of the village and then up Westcoe Hill had me struggling and my legs felt absolutely empty, with the added occasional benefit of the odd niggle in the calf muscle, just to remind me it was still there...
Anyhow, I was out for a ride so carried on eventually reaching the top of the hill and then taking full benefit of the long and mainly downhill run to Dunkeswick, keeping my legs spinning and feeling OK.
A quick squirt up the A61, then right towards Nearby. This meant a choice between Kearby Cliff or the not so steep but much longer route via Kirkby Overblow.
Being a glutton for punishment I decided to attack the Cliff. :rolleyes:
This might not have been a good idea. I had no answer to it - my legs were empty, I was in the lowest gear less than half way up and inevitably stalled well short of the top, with my lungs frantically trying to escape. :surrender:
Walked to the top and sat on the handily placed bench to get my breath and have an energy bar. And a photo:
IMG_20160618_095216926.jpg
IMG_20160618_095223227_HDR.jpg

Recovered it was back on and off towards Otley via Sicklinghall. Struggled with every hill on the way though, thank goodness it's mainly downhill.
In Wetherby I decided I needed to stop fighting the inevitable and head for home, so over the river and up to Wattlesyke Roundabout, then West Woods Road towards Bramham, grateful to have the wind at my back to aid progress. Then the long way round to Thorner via Milner Lane (avoiding Wothersome Dip for obvious reasons) and the unavoidable climb up Van Zyl Hill, then Skeltons Lane and local roads on to home.

So, 43.34 miles (69.75km) in 3h 14m at an average of 13.4mph with 2,545ft climbed. Now I look at the stats, that's doesn't seem too bad - about my average speed for a 'hilly' route and another metric half in the bag, but by 'eck did it feel like hard work today.
I'm not sure if heading out into the wind for the first 15 miles or so took it out of me, and the cramping certainly didn't help.
Anyway, I got out there and that's what counts. And there is always tomorrow! :okay:

18062016.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom