Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Only a short ride this evening with the missus, but momentous because I ticked off my target climb for this year.
Jinny Lane is a bit vicious I reckon - only 1/2 mile long. Starts gentle and gets gradually steeper, topping out at 17% just before the crest at Newchurch.
Personally I think it's being sold short at 17%. Feels like a wall at the top. Did the last 50 yards in the lowest gear standing on the pedals with a sh1t or bust mindset.

https://www.strava.com/activities/610389872

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, as usual, but only by a couple of hours.
With a dodgy weather forecast, I was wondering what kit would be best to wear for a local off road(ish) MTB ride before lunch. I went with shorts and a T shirt as it wasn't cold.
It turned out to be the best choice as it turned out to be quite warm and humid.

IMG_20160615_111603.jpg

I only had the time for a couple of hours out before having to be back home, so rode a circuit and a half of Pitsford Res, taking the opportunity to grab a maple syrup & waffle ice cream, a new flavour for me!

IMG_20160615_121726.jpg

With the recent summer weather, the res is nearly up to full capacity.. :rain:. A year or so ago, I could have ridden most of the way round on the 'beach'.

Untitled.png

Anyways... Back home on an enjoyable 22 miles, with only a few spots of rain, before having to head off to w*rk. Booooo....
MrsPete was wondering why I was still dry upon my return as, in my absence, the heavens had opened over XXX towers. Such is life. :okay:

https://www.strava.com/activities/609896655

:smile:

Last edited:
After yesterdays day off to watch the womens tour in Norwich(sunny all day despite the forecast for rain) it 's back to the usual A10/cycle path commute.

Bit calmer compard to yesterday and a tempo-ish pace on a nice sunny morning;cycle path was a bit damp after the overnight showers so the bikes a bit grubby now;

IMG_20160616_072027312.jpg

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Not posted for a while, but went out for a spin yesterday and took my time to smell the roses etc. Came across this carving, which I don't think I've posted before (I don't actually recall seeing it!). I guess it's been done to commemorate WW1. Good ride, not much sun, but temp was good and beats the previous day when I went out and got soaked.

20160615_115416.jpg

20160615_115431.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

32 miles the journey, but I never made my destination, Hatton Locks. It rained first thing in Coventry by us so was considering getting the car out, but it cleared up, the sun came out and so did the bike. I decided on a short ride out so when I got to Balsall Common instead of turning left by the church I carried straight on through Temple Balsall then left into Watery lane, at the end of the lane I turned left onto the A4141 past the Black Boy pub and right into Bakers lane. The rain started towards the end of the lane and I sheltered under the bridge for a while, once it eased I carried on but it started to rain very heavy and I decided to run for home. I rode through Packwood House and turned left towards the Punch bowl pub then picked up a regular route home, arriving home looking like a drowned rat. It stopped raining as I rode into Coventry down Torrington Avenue and hasn't rained again since I got in.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
A little saunter down to Felixstowe today for a coffee and a bacon roll (at an acceptable price) on Patsy #3 The Hybrid, mostly dressed in my civvies, but with gloves, SPD boots and water bottle. I mention this because I noticed an unusual reaction from the lycra-clad mob that I often encounter when I'm out and dressed the same: they all seemed surprised - most apparently pleasantly surprised - that someone on a hybrid disguised as a BSO should be acknowledging their presence. :smile:

On the way back I passed a rather large modified Vote Leave sign beside a farm ... the spray paint addition had changed it to Vote Beaver. I may be 57, but sometimes the immature fourteen-year -old in me can't helped sniggering. :whistle:

Well it was a bit damp to start this morning dispite the Met Office website not showing anything until this afternoon:rolleyes:;so had to resort to plan B and ride the XLS in(was going to give the Helium an airing and try out the Chapeau bibs on a longer ride back).
Anyhoo, dispite the rain had a good ride in with the roads a bit quiter as it's Friday,dunno how dry the kit will be for the ride back but it'll only be a short dash home so won't matter too much(the Sportful No Rain kit was good though and the bibs are dry now).

https://www.strava.com/activities/611725944

Yesterday morning was forecast for rain this morning
Anyhow after a deluge yesterday evening and night it seemed better so was able to get out- had thought it might be a turbo sesion

So went out for local loop including obligatory intervals

So just started an interval up Holloway Hill and I spotted roadworks and a trafic lights, so did a quick U turn and headed up Hardwick Lane instead.

Went round Chobham Common, Windlesham, Lightwater and Addlestone

It was a bit windier than forecast but fortunately showers held off

30.04 miles @ 16.9 mph
879 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/611837730

Yesterday morning was forecast for rain this morning
Anyhow after a deluge yesterday evening and night it seemed better so was able to get out- had thought it might be a turbo sesion

So went out for local loop including obligatory intervals

So just started an interval up Holloway Hill and I spotted roadworks and a trafic lights, so did a quick U turn and headed up Hardwick Lane instead.

Went round Chobham Common, Windlesham, Lightwater and Addlestone

It was a bit windier than forecast but fortunately showers held off

30.04 miles @ 16.9 mph
879 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/611837730
Weirdly, I'm heading up that way tomorrow. I'm well behind, on my big rides this year, so a nice 170 miler is in order tomorrow. How are the roads up there at the moment ( regarding flooding etc)?

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Same ride as yesterday, only this time on a re-vamped Patsy #2 The CX as a shake-down ride.

About three months ago I had a problem with the rear wheel, which was quickly sorted by my LBS along with the advice that the rims were getting worn. So earlier this week, I snapped up an offer on some replacements (Fulcrum 5 LG) from Chain Reaction. They arrived today and were fitted soon after - which proved to be quite disconcerting. I'm guessing that as they were like-for-like, the rim width would still be the same, but the amount of adjustment to the brakes suggested I was on borrowed time before a wheel collapsed under heavy braking. :blink:

Duly fitted, and I'm out. A mile later and I realise the bump-bump-bump is not the new road surface, but is a sound coming from the front wheel. It turned out I hadn't fitted the tyre correctly and it was not sitting correctly at the valve. One deflate, one fettle, one re-inflate with CO2 and I was off again. Into the rain ...
This had stopped by the time I got to Felixstowe, which allowed me to enjoy my bacon roll and coffee, but it was waiting for me on the return trip. I got wetter than a wet thing. ^_^

Still, I remembered I actually have a camera in my smart phone today and took a picture of the adulterated sign I mentioned yesterday.

Damp beaver 001.JPG

Top Bottom