Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Surlydave

Über Member
Only a short ride out to 11s at Ashfield this w/end with the Suffolk Ctc.
I feel a bit ashamed posting this when I see what many others have
done. All the same, nearly 1200ft of climbing in 30 miles wasn't too
bad. The highlight of the day was spotting a little owl perched on the
sign to Crettingham golf club as we rode past. Then it was home to
watch the Criterion on itv4, to see how it should be done!!
https://www.strava.com/activities/606838956

U

User19783

With the weather not looking great for the ride, a couple of mates and I rode the 100 mile 'Chase the Rising Sun' (not that we saw it!) overnight sportive from Hunstanton to Southwold.
With a start time of 21:00, we arrived at 18:00 so we could enjoy some fish and chips and give them enough time to digest before the ride started.
There were, so I was told by one of the local Lifeboat men, about 500 riders registered, and more signing up on the day, so it made for a decent sized crowd in the clifftop car park. As we waited, a couple of B52's flew overhead. Quite a sight..

View attachment 131751

Ready for the start.

It was hard to decide what to wear for the ride. We'd loaded all sorts of clothing into the car with the idea of guessing the forecast until 05:00 ish.
The fact that the organisers were giving out free waterproof phone cases should be a big enough clue as to what we were heading in to! :rain:

Still, I stuck with the legs and packed a waterproof jacket and sealskinz socks, hoping it was a good combination. We rode in decent weather from Hunstanton to Wells next the Sea, then into the tail end of some showers. Not bad enough to worry about though. At least I'd left the mudguards on the Defy 2 so I wasn't getting sprayed on.

The route is quite flat apart from the 20 miles from Weybourne to Mundesley. Even those hills aren't a mega challenge though. Just enough to you down a bit, especially with the gentle headwind we had all night.
Several times, we were buzzed by bats. Lovely creatures. Never quite seen, and passing in a blur. One nearly bounced off Dave's helmet before veering skywards just in front of my face!

View attachment 131749

A mile or so before the 50 mile feed station at Bacton, the heavens opened, A proper bit of rain! When we pulled in, it eased off a bit, so we drip dried for a while as we surveyed the water bottle top up flavours, jelly beans, chocolate brioche, bananas and jaffa cakes in abundance before getting a coffee and having a few bits to eat and a banana and some jelly beans for te remaining 50 miles. I've not done lots of Sportives, but this one was the best so far. Mind you, the sports hall floor and cleats was not a good combo, with quite a bit of Bambi skating going on! ;)

As we were leaving, and I'd dried out a bit, I put my waterproof on lest I got a bit of windchill. It was a good choice, as it turned out, as it did drop a few degrees. Not 'cold', just nippy.
About 5 or 6 miles on, Dave had a visit from the p*nctre fairy. We spied a gateway to pull in to to be off the road, and were happy to find that it was the entrance to a cowshed, and the whole lot was deep in cow sh*te. Happy days..
Not wishing to crowd Dave but still to be of help, we shone our lights in his general direction from a distance away as he changed the tube :whistle:
I mean, what are friends for! :laugh:

From there until Gt. Yarmouth, the weather was a bit better, but soon deteriorated into drizzle and heavier rain. I was a bit in front, and missed a right turn sign. Half a mile on, my phone rang and I was told not to be silly and stick to the route. Once back, we were on our way through the town and heading for Lowestoft. A lot of these places, Cromer, Gorleston and Lowestoft are where I go for a stroll and eat ice cream when I'm at work, so it was nice to pass through on a leisure basis.
With the rain still precipitating it down, we were on the last 15 miles or so, and on a 16mph average, which would be quite a result for me. Once we hit a few windy bits through houses and 'traffic', I dropped to 15.9 and couldn't quite get the elusive 0.1 over the last mile. Never mind, eh... Still a good average for me over 102 miles!
Happily, by this time the weather had improved, the rain had stopped and the wind had ceased

View attachment 131750

The end.
We did miss the sunrise (behind the clouds) by a short while, but put that down to the p*ncture fairy diversifying in her/his efforts to spoil a good ride.

Due to the expected business at the finish line car park, we'd arranged to meet Garry's wife, driving our support vehicle, at Southwold Pier about a mile back. Once there, we got the camping stove out and rustled up some bacon rolls and coffee........ And a beer. Well, what's wrong with a beer at 05:00 on a Sunday morning?

View attachment 131752

As I'd not been quite wet enough overnight, I thought I'd have a paddle..

View attachment 131762

Finished on 102 miles, average 15.9.
Quite happy with that.

https://www.strava.com/activities/606695973

:smile:

I really like that ride,
I must put it in my diary for next year.
Cheers @PeteXXX for posting.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
One of the best events of the year is The Shropshire Highlands Challenge. It started out wet and I got wet. Very unusual for this event to have any poor weather. Anyway the weather did improve and the sun did come out. The roads were a bit mucky from the rain but I have mudguards for that. Once the rain stopped and the cloud lifted we had stunning views and scenery. I managed to make an incorrect turn (wet specs and sat nav) which meant I went around the second loop in the opposite direction. It was fun meeting the others coming the other way and waving and cheering them on, especially if I was descending and they were climbing. Indeed I received similar encouragement while I was on the steep climb after Newcastle-on-Clun. That's one good reason to ride this event. Everyone is so very friendly. Suffice to say I had a lovely ride round despite the rain. 65 miles and nearly 6000 feet climbed. I'll be back next year for sure.

RedRider

Pulling through
Today was the inaugural 'Italian Job' Audax run by those very fine cycling club peeps Islington CC.
I left home to mild temperatures at 6.30am to meet up with @rb58 to cycle to the start at Finsbury Park in that there Londinium. A nice ride which for the first half took in my daily commute. Sunday very early morning makes such a difference, much quieter and quicker. Wish it was the same every day of the week.

Anyway. We got to the start at 8am to sign in and wait for the off. It started to rain, only light drizzle, but rain nevertheless. At 8.30, we were sent on our way in bunches of 20 (I think I heard one of the organisers saying over 200 had signed up). The first hour was getting out of north London. Once in the country side we were spoilt with a really nice, rolling route to Chalfont, the half way point. It had not stopped raining, but at least the temperatures were still mild. A short stop for a sarnie, donuts and drink and we were on our way again for the second half. By now the rain was getting a little heavier, and remained so for a good hour. We did have breaks in the rain every now and again but it decided to stay with us for the whole way back.

The usual stop/start traffic through north London made for slow going for the last 6 or 7 miles, but we got back in good time. Only for the rain to stop. Yep, the weather Gods were playing with us.

We got our Brevet's checked and signed, grabbed a piece of cake and coughed up for a couple of small, overpriced coffee's from one of these
View attachment 131758

To grind the beans, the barrister had to pedal the machine.

By now the sunshine was trying to make an appearance for our return to home journeys. It was also getting quite warm and muggy.
I got home with 108 miles on the clock. That wouldn't do so added in a small loop of a couple of miles to supplement my Eddington numbers.

So
110 miles for the day, (67 for the Audax) on a really nice route, rather more rolling then the map suggests and of what my legs are telling me. In the dry it would be a cracking ride.
Century # 15 for the year, 181 over all.

Sorry no pictures, it was too wet.
View attachment 131759

View attachment 131760
I did this today but setting out from Catford-ish for a total of around 88 miles.
I was at Finsbury Park for 8.30 so you must have been in the group I saw setting off. I grabbed an overpriced double espresso and jumped onto the 8.40 start group.
Unfortunately, my mate was a DNS due to fear of rain so I ended up riding the first half of the course in a cool group of five to ten.
We started off slow and leisurely but the pace upped a little as the rain hardened.
Beyond the motorway I guess there were some gorgeous views to be had but hard to tell through the mizzle. Consolation came in the form of cycling hardman fantasies as road muck kicked up by guardless wheels began to cake the face.
Having skipped breakfast (ok slept in resulting in a mad dash to the start) I tarried awhile at the Italian deli stuffing my face with a couple of gorgeous and much-needed arancini (orange-sized, cheese-stuffed rice balls).
Rode out from the deli with a guy on fixed which kept me honest. As @ianrauk says, the ride was a little more rolling than anticipated and my stock of jelly babies was depleted by the time we hiit the outskirts of London. We were joined by three strong female riders and my tired legs were happy to take their wheels from Barnet-ish on back to that London.
Stopped off for a swifty with my rain shy mate on the way back through Peckham. He seemed somewhat glad to have missed the weather but he missed a good ride too.
My bike's filthy but I've some annual leave tomorrow: The wet wipes can wait.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I did this today but setting out from Catford-ish for a total of around 88 miles.
I was at Finsbury Park for 8.30 so you must have been in the group I saw setting off. I grabbed an overpriced double espresso and jumped onto the 8.40 start group.
Unfortunately, my mate was a DNS due to fear of rain so I ended up riding the first half of the course in a cool group of five to ten.
We started off slow and leisurely but the pace upped a little as the rain hardened.
Beyond the motorway I guess there were some gorgeous views to be had but hard to tell through the mizzle. Consolation came in the form of cycling hardman fantasies as road muck kicked up by guardless wheels began to cake the face.
Having skipped breakfast (ok slept in resulting in a mad dash to the start) I tarried awhile at the Italian deli stuffing my face with a couple of gorgeous and much-needed arancini (orange-sized, cheese-stuffed rice balls).
Rode out from the deli with a guy on fixed which kept me honest. As @ianrauk says, the ride was a little more rolling than anticipated and my stock of jelly babies was depleted by the time we hiit the outskirts of London. We were joined by three strong female riders and my tired legs were happy to take their wheels from Barnet-ish on back to that London.
Stopped off for a swifty with my rain shy mate on the way back through Peckham. He seemed somewhat glad to have missed the weather but he missed a good ride too.
My bike's filthy but I've some annual leave tomorrow: The wet wipes can wait.

Having got the mudguardless Van Nich out and prepared yesterday with new chain, cassette and tyres, I looked at the weather report and thought, nah...the mudguarded commuter it was to be, my riding mate @rb58 thought the same, riding his mudguarded Enigma. It was a very good choice.

I had a few other riders comment that they wish they had had mudguards too.

Yep, we were in the very first group to leave. Both all in black, sans plastic hats.

The only thing that lets Islington CC's Audax rides down is no free tee or coffee at the start or finish, or come to think of it, no decent 'fair' priced tea or coffee.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Taking last night's weather forecast at face value I set off for a familiar loop of Holmfirth and New Mill. It started drizzling while going up the hill towards Holmfirth and pretty much never stopped. Hey ho. Holmfirth itself is usually bustling on a Sunday but it was very quiet. Please feel free to use this ride report as a cure for insomnia if you need it. :tired:

40 miles and 1883 feet of ascending.

https://www.strava.com/activities/606900322

:okay:

Untitled.png

RedRider

Pulling through
Having got the mudguardless Van Nich out and prepared yesterday with new chain, cassette and tyres, I looked at the weather report and thought, nah...the mudguarded commuter it was to be, my riding mate @rb58 thought the same, riding his mudguarded Enigma. It was a very good choice.

Yep, we were in the very first group to leave. Both all in black, sans plastic hats.

The only thing that lets Islington CC's Audax rides down is no free tee or coffee at the start or finish, or come to think of it, no decent 'fair' priced tea or coffee.

I was only ever going to ride my 'new' Rourke today which doesn't have guards so I can't complain. It's the second Islington audax I've ridden (after the GE '14) and they're such a friendly club. If I lived up north I'd be joining them but yeah, free tea would be nice!
Did you see that pair in Italian jersey's on the impressive-looking tandem? They motored past somewhere around Elstree and I never saw them again. They had to be a shoe-in for the Italian style prize.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Did you see that pair in Italian jersey's on the impressive-looking tandem? They motored past somewhere around Elstree and I never saw them again. They had to be a shoe-in for the Italian style prize.

Yep, they wizzed by us at a lightning pace just before Chalfont.....

@jo from the other place looked very dapper too with his awesome teased facial hair and lovely Flying Gate bike.

Osprey

Guru
Saturdays ride, 7.45 start, light misty drizzle with sporadic heavy drizzle. Took the Croix Der Fer and stted out down the North Gower Road and picked up the NCN route 4 in Gowerton which offers great views down the Loughor estuary. At Llanelli picked up the NCN route 4 in a northerly direction which gradually climbs between 4% and 7% for the next 12 miles to the village of Tumble. Now the rain has set in heavier and I join the road that climbs out of Tumble before turning in a Southerly direction along the busy A476. After a few miles it was a relief to turn on to the quiet B4306 which decends for 3 miles down to the village of Hendy. A couple of busy roads through Pontardulais and Gorseinon saw me back on the North Gower road rather wet but with 36 miles and 1400ft climbing. No real photo opportunities as it was pretty bleak all the way round.

upload_2016-6-12_21-31-48.png

Attachments

• IMG_20160410_100617.jpg
    IMG_20160410_100617.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 63
Nice commute this today on a muggy grey morning;fully loaded up with the Alp-kit tail pack full of undies and t-shirts for this week.

Just the standard A10/cycle path run but did make the best of a quiet cycle path to set a 3rd best on one of the segments,a good way to end the commute before gently rolling to Waitrose for some provisions.

https://www.strava.com/activities/607792324

Then a roll down Mill Rd to work;

https://www.strava.com/activities/607792315

Might do a longer one tomorrow as I'll have a day off Wednesday as were off tp that Naaaridge to see the Womens tour stage one finish;and maybe if I'm lucky get two Pro Cycling covers signed by Lizzie and Marrianne:shy::becool:

Old jon

Guru
Yesterday I took the big camera out to play, pics of some of the cycling and some running in the Leeds Triathlon. Loads of fun for me and 400 + pictures to sort out so no time for a ride.

Well ready for a ride this morning. Oh fiddle ! Soft front tyre, the one I put a patched tube in on Saturday . . . Pumped it up and an hour later it was holding pressure still, so off I pedalled in the direction of away. Or, more usually, Holbeck. A ride along the towpath to Viaduct Road, and passing Burley Road, where I took some pics yesterday, up Cardigan Road to Headingley and on to the Ring Road at Lawnswood. Over that and about a mile further on turn right for Adel, carry straight on across the dam and straight across Five Lane Ends towards the New Inn at the edge of Eccup. Next village on is Weardley, with the most difficult road surface yet on some parts of the drop, really gets the adrenaline flowing.

Along the A 659 to the bottom of Harewood Bank, turn left and roughly a mile on turn right for Kirkby Overblow. Seeing the sign for the right turn to Netherby, I turned that way. That is one steep hill on the way to Sicklinghall @NorthernDave , I walked up a lot of it. On to Wetherby and a munch stop, and the discovery of a soft front tyre. Oh dear me, I almost said. Properly prepared, I stuck a new tube in, inflated it and rode home via the A 58. The round trip was 33.5 miles in total, would have been longer without the probably badly stuck patch. Must do better.

13062016.jpg

rugby bloke

Veteran
Nice gentle spin after yesterday's exertions. Got off as soon as I could and I thought I would have to race the rain, which was forecast for 7pm, happily it stayed dry despite looking very dark over Northampton way. Only trouble with going out at that time is that there is more dicing with commuters than I normally have to deal with. Happily all the drivers were in a sensible mood.

upload_2016-6-13_20-14-19.png

http://www.strava.com/activities/608256316

22 miles ridden, a mere 779ft of climbing ... easy !

Last edited:
Top Bottom