Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dark46

Veteran
Well yesterday's ride I really wasn't looking forward to, as a member of the group didn't really want to be there and the route was too short.

Oops I designed the route and did it shirt and flat as there was the possibility of a new member joining us.

There was no sign of @Donger or @gordyfinbar , I know the latter was doing a triathlon and hope he did ok?

Well @Largie003 arrived and so did @Frazzle, well I was the one late and missed out on flapjack. Well plenty of Whale blubber to keep me going g and to get rid of.

A new guy turned up which was good. His bike was new it was a 13 which he got a bargin on as it was a ex display model.

@Frazzle was riding with the new guy and it wasn't lo g before he was thinking of jacking it in saying he was knackered . Not a good sign.

We had a few stops to let him catch back up and we cut the route even shorter than planned. As not too put him off too much , as we've all been there.

We went through Stonehouse, The Stanleys, Cam, Frampton and Saul. Before going round part of the Elmore loop and finishing through Stonebench
and back to Quedgeley.

We stopped at Saul Junction for a coffee to as we had to have a stop somewhere.

I think it was around the Elmore loop that Mark (the new member) fell off saying hewas drained. But it was as we were entering Quedgeley that he changed down and.....

The chain hopped over 1st gear and wedged itself between the cassette and some of the spokes. Plus the chain had also jumped out of the lower jockey wheel on the rear derailiuer. @Frazzle and I tried to release the chain but no luck. So unfortunately it was a phone to his wife to pick him up. Luckily we where only about a mile from home.

I just hope Mark got his bike sorted back at Halfords and will be back out soon.

The ride was 30 miles for me, so not too bad.

iandg

Legendary Member
2nd day of my holiday. A short spin out to the Loch Lednock Reservoir and back to Comrie. 10km mostly uphill outwards and 10 km mostly downhill back - it rained again.

https://www.strava.com/activities/607853576

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We've had some heavy showers today, more forecast for this evening...
By half eight I was like a caged animal. Mrs Dave told me to just go out for a quick blast, so I did, on the Trek 1.5.

Just a touch of drizzle. Quiet out. A short ride but warm and muggy.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looking ominous to the north...

https://www.strava.com/activities/608361842

Well it was a good first part of theis mornings commute.

Went a different way as I had a card delivery to make so headed out towards Soham(via Stuntney village for the card drop) and then via Burwell and the Swaffhams before getting to Cambridge;then down Newmarket road and East road for a coffee and cake at the Espresso Cafe.

Tried to keep the cadence low for a change rather than spinning it out to try and help build up the leg strength and pleased with how it went as sometimes that leads to me cramping up so fitness must be good at the mo.

Anyhoo,after a nice stretch,sit-down,coffee and cake and a quick read of the Grauniad it was back on for the quick run down Mill road during which I was almost cut up by a van,nearly doored and had to take avoiding action from a 'cyclist' on the wrong side and not paying attention;usual Cambridge morning then:laugh::rolleyes:.

https://www.strava.com/activities/608725135

122k to go to bring up the 5,000:smile:.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Well it was a good first part of theis mornings commute.

Went a different way as I had a card delivery to make so headed out towards Soham(via Stuntney village for the card drop) and then via Burwell and the Swaffhams before getting to Cambridge;then down Newmarket road and East road for a coffee and cake at the Espresso Cafe.

Tried to keep the cadence low for a change rather than spinning it out to try and help build up the leg strength and pleased with how it went as sometimes that leads to me cramping up so fitness must be good at the mo.

Anyhoo,after a nice stretch,sit-down,coffee and cake and a quick read of the Grauniad it was back on for the quick run down Mill road during which I was almost cut up by a van,nearly doored and had to take avoiding action from a 'cyclist' on the wrong side and not paying attention;usual Cambridge morning then:laugh::rolleyes:.

https://www.strava.com/activities/608725135

122k to go to bring up the 5,000:smile:.

Looking at the ride profile I have to ask, what happened at 23 miles ??? Looks like you actually fell off a cliff !!!

Rain seems to be forecast on at least part of all days this week
However with a waterproof on managed to visit Mum yesterday

Managed to miss any real rain

@rugby bloke I think that @Elybazza61 stopped and during the stop the air pressure was going down - shows up on Garmin as a descent

Meantime it is pouring outside and I am resigned to another turbo session tomorrow, unless I get up at sparrow's fart and try to do some real miles before the rush hour

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Tough one yesterday. Rain all over. I decided to risk it as I'd arranged to visit my cousin. I got a bit damp as I headed out for Ham Bridge but the rain eased and things weren't too bad as I rode the well known valley roads to Tenbury. It has been quite some time since I rode from Tenbury to Ludlow. I'd forgotten how lumpy bumpy hard it was (the earlier valley road is pretty lumpy bumpy too). I'm not even sure I used the route I used to use a long time ago. Greete and Caynham came and went before things got easier. I rode into Ludlow through the back door and climbed to the centre of town. With 3 miles to go to my cousin's the clouds opened up and a deluge ensued. I hid under a tree for a while until it eased. With just the 17% Whitbatch climb ahead I was soon supping a cuppa with my cousin.

I had a lovely afternoon with my cousin and I delayed my departure to allow another deluge to peter out so I said my byes and dropped away to pass through Ludlow and take a very new route back. I jinked through some lanes until I was forced onto a busier B road. My quiet link to cross the incredibly fast and busy A49 had signs saying "road closed". I ignored them and rode through unhindered (thankfully as the detour would have involved far too much fast and busy for me). Then another deluge hit and I got very wet. I was riding through lanes I did not know and found a spot which was very confusing. I went off route and retraced but missed the turn again. Not too surprising really as it was gated and very small. It just looked like a farm road but a lovely find nonetheless. It's quite tough up and down country in this neck of the woods and my pace was quite slow. I found another tiny lane to Hatfield which I recognised as one I'd ridden in the past so I was now getting closer to known territory but time was advancing for sure. At Hampton Charles I was now confident of my route but hunger was setting in. The Co-oP in Bromyard came to my rescue before I rode the hilly Frome valley to climb out and over to the Leigh Brook and home.

That was one tough ride back from Ludlow. It's superb and quiet countryside and deserves more attention from me. Despite tough I'll be back. 91 miles clocked up with 6500 feet of up too and I am noticing the effects today. Just a shame about the weather.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
With rain forecast at some stage for every day this week it was a question of just trying to find a dry window for one of my regular midweek sortie around the forest.

A few spots delayed the start but once under way I headed west & into the wind through Minstead & Emery Down to Bolderwood where some new additions to the forests pony collection were busy keeping the grass down...
001.JPG

A very brief shower greeted me as I got to the top of Bolderwood hill & then it was another little lump before a couple of miles on the flat open forest heading east so with the wind at my tail but with a grey cloud looming in front....
002.JPG

A proper soaking followed just at the end of the flat with no trees for shelter so it was onto Nomansland before a quick stop to put the gillet on just to stop my back getting any wetter than it already was....
003.JPG
004.JPG

The rain carried on for 5 or 6 miles & it was a case of once I was wet it didn't really matter & in fact I didn't even notice it after a while apart from the squelching in my shoes & after a 30 mile round trip I was home, where ironically it hadn't rained at all!!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/608995983

Well just like @Goonerobes I have been seeing unfavourable weather forecasts
Even the BBC and Met office weather apps have been showing differences (BBC no longer uses Met Office)
It is clearly changeable and a bit unpredictable

So seeing sunshine this morning, went out for a session, including 3 hill reps of St Ann's hill, did not go at it quite so hard as last time
These are low cadence reps to help build strength

Then did some intervals

Got home about an hour ago (dry) and it is pouring now so feeling pleased!
25.5 miles @ 16.3 mph - rather slow for me but there are recovery period in there
787 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/609880286

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
Went for a spin round Bishopstone last night, This was part of my first long ride on my new bike back in April and I wanted to compare how I got on. I only stopped once for a quick mouthful of water as I still have not mastered getting my drink out while riding along. I passed a few other cyclists going in the opposite direction and one chap went past me like I was standing still. One day that will be me!!

I am still maintaining my 10mph average and now I am aiming for 11 over the next month or so.

View: https://www.strava.com/activities/609257493/embed/85212b4f5572059b191ea3045000108ba9457d31
'

Old jon

Guru
Flat tales, episode 4593.

Just like Monday, a soft front tyre for yesterday’s breakfast. After the cursing, I fitted a new rim tape and a new tube, inflated the tube and checked three tubes for holes. One tiny hole in each tube, roughly the same distance from the valve so I patched them all. Then I went to Spa Cycles in Harrogate and bought a pair of Schwalbe Marathons, you can tell I have had enough of the old tyres.

This morning the old tyre on the front wheel was still up to pressure, so off I went in the drizzle. Holbeck and Hunslet, John O’ Gaunts and Swillington, the northern end of Garforth. Every stop and I squeeze the front tyre.

Lotherton gates and turn left for Aberford, stop at the bench almost at the top of the hill to eat a sandwich or several, squeeze front tyre, its fine. Twenty minutes later, put the bike back on tarmac. Soft front tyre. Can I find a hole? Nope. New tube in and inflated and home by the usual Barwick, Scholes, three lanes and Boot Hill, checking that piece of rubber at every opportunity. So, twenty eight miles of angst about a tyre, but I still enjoyed the ride. The things I do . . .
Tomorrow, fit the Marathons. I understand they can be difficult.
There is always a plus, I still think these Garmin produced maps are sort of brilliant.

15062016.jpg

gavgav

Guru
The weather is ruining my plans for this week. I had 4 rides lined up, including a 50k(tomorrow morning, as on a day off to watch the footy in the afternoon) and another on Saturday. I'm likely to get 1 at best.

Monsoon showers, with biblical rain, thunder and lightning have been hitting Shropshire for over a week now. Floods everywhere again, after things had dried up nicely. May as well sell the bike and buy a boat, would get more use in a British Summer.

About to book a holiday for September, to Kefalonia, instead of holiday in the UK!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I met Margaret as planned and we took to the Castlemorton lanes with catch up chat flowing well. As we progressed south rain was attempting to get going. Eventually it did in a rather successful fashion so we sheltered and let it pass. On down to Birdwood and beyond went well until again shelter was required. Now with just some damp dropping from above we rode the ramp to Mitcheldean. Decision time now. Hart's Barn just down the road or climb up and over into the Wye valley for Ross on Wye? So we took to the tough climb away from Mitcheldean to crest over Howle Hill and descend to Coughton. Just one more decision - which cafe in Ross?

The Priory Coffee House was very welcoming and we watched another deluge drop outside. Off we went refreshed to take to the shorter route back. The lumps were taxing Margaret as we headed for Kempley. At Fishpool a cat was admiring a cockatiel safe in its cage. The bird wasn't at all bothered about the proximity of the cat and appeared to be gazing back. The owner appeared and we all had a giggle about it. Apparently the cockatiel can say the cat's name.

So now it was a straightforward run back around the southern flanks of the Malverns and back into the Castlemorton lanes. It had been a lovely outing with my friend and although we had got slightly damp we had dodged the localised deluges quite well. Definitely worth the risk of venturing out. 70 miles for me today.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7.1 miles today, very hot, and GITAP
http://rideillinois.org/events/gitap/
riders flowing through town .
I only saw 2 on my ride, in the country.
I earlier saw about 6 in the LBS.
87F
30C
Winds W9 G18
Relative humidity 65% Heat index 95F
Barometer 29.81
Partly cloudy
I had also given the dogs a 1.5 mile march and playtime by the stream, where I saw a bluebird, quite rare in these parts.

Top Bottom