Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ThinAir

Do more.
The return leg of my last post. This time I managed to stay on.

My first ever ride in any sort of rain. I've actively avoided prior to this. It was a bit hairy in paces especially when I realised that my tyres, although in good condition are pretty slick. I'm need to learn to have a bit more trust in them and my ability I guess.... The "chocolate mouse" did put in an appearance at one point when I was headed down hill at 30+ mph and that the brakes aren't efficient as the ones on my MTB.

However, I've made a 9lb weight loss this week with a combination of extra cycling and a much better/more sensible diet!

Feeling pretty good!!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 65

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Up and out early to do the BHF London to Brighton ( I'm no cycling snob but some people should taught some basic road sense) anyway enough of that. Did it 2 years ago but a bit fitter this time the Off time from Clapham Common was 7.30 man was it heaving we got parked and got to the line about 7.31 ! Nice route out made a change to see it in sunshine I'm sure you all no the route so I won't bore you with it. Cracking weather a bit to cracking it seems as I'm burnt to buggery lol. My main aim although I didn't think possible due to numbers or fitness or both was trying to conquer Ditchling Beacon and I'm pleased to say I did it in one go :dance:no stopping kept hard right and didn't hit any traffic and paced myself well. Didn't have to use the 28 on the cassette until the last 400-500 yards so well chuffed with that and man was it worth it a stunning view that I could look at for hours...
image_zpszlgzte9q.jpe

The run down into Brighton was swift and trouble free so a cracking day but bloody long ! Left my house at 6.30 and got home at 19.30 !

Well earned at the beach
image_zpshui23sy3.jpe

image_zpsnq836oyo.jpe

That is my mate he didn't enjoy it so much as you can see :biggrin:

Dodgy bangers anyone :eek:
image_zpsdcjv3b96.jpe

All in all a cracking day out never going to break any records but The Beacon is off my bucket list

55.4 miles with 2793 ft of climbing in 5 hours 52 and a pretty poor 11 mph avg.

https://www.strava.com/activities/614065730

Cheers
Mark
Edit.... It does get rather sunny in England somtimes :sun::ohmy:.
image_zpsziojfyou.jpe

Last edited:
Cracking ride today.

Headed down to Suffolk for a little soiree around the villages and then back up via Red Lodge and Soham to Ely and then a Coveney loop to make up the 100k,all done at a 32KPH average:smile:.

Really pleased with that today and the Helium was flying today;here it is at the end,in better shape than me^_^.

helium 19:6:16.jpg

Lots of bods about today and no dodgy traffic either.

https://www.strava.com/activities/614026099

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Not my ride today but my daughter's.. I think we will be on our bikes next time with her, just to keep up !

From Yate Station to the Road to Nowhere, and back, thence to the Ice Cream Van for a suitable reward. 3.75 miles in all. About 3.5 miles more than her furthest ride before now.

She was delighted and so were we. Perfect Fathers' Day stuff & a landmark/milestone in her cycling.

IMG_20160619_142856585_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160619_143552210.jpg
IMG_20160619_144009305.jpg

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Up and out early to do the BHF London to Brighton ( I'm no cycling snob but some people should taught some basic road sense) anyway enough of that. Did it 2 years ago but a bit fitter this time the Off time from Clapham Common was 7.30 man was it heaving we got parked and got to the line about 7.31 ! Nice route out made a change to see it in sunshine I'm sure you all no the route so I won't bore you with it. Cracking weather a bit to cracking it seems as I'm burnt to buggery lol. My main aim although I didn't think possible due to numbers or fitness or both was trying to conquer Ditchling Beacon and I'm pleased to say I did it in one go :dance:no stopping kept hard right and didn't hit any traffic and paced myself well. Didn't have to use the 28 on the cassette until the last 400-500 yards so well chuffed with that and man was it worth it a stunning view that I could look at for hours...
image_zpszlgzte9q.jpe

The run down into Brighton was swift and trouble free so a cracking day but bloody long ! Left my house at 6.30 and got home at 19.30 !

Well earned at the beach
image_zpshui23sy3.jpe

image_zpsnq836oyo.jpe

That is my mate he didn't enjoy it so much as you can see :biggrin:

Dodgy bangers anyone :eek:
image_zpsdcjv3b96.jpe

All in all a cracking day out never going to break any records but The Beacon is off my bucket list

55.4 miles with 2793 ft of climbing in 5 hours 52 and a pretty poor 11 mph avg.

https://www.strava.com/activities/614065730

Cheers
Mark

Great stuff.. I expect you could have eaten two of those fish suppers by the end of it !

Katherine

Guru
A highly enjoyable ride with the Salford Cycle Club to Lymm. It was great It was going to be a 25 mile loop out through Astley and back along the A57 Cadishead Way, but then we decided to do a few more miles to Dunham in order to include a cafe stop. We had to miss out one of the loops down a quiet lane on the route due to a running race going that way. Which meant we were too early for the cafe, so we went a few more miles to another one which was closed for refurbishment, so we went several more miles to a cafe in Lymm but it was full, so we went to the café barge on the canal. Finally! Lovely coffee too. We came straight home, no wind, good pace.Final total miles for me was, 39.9. I should have gone to the end of the road to round it up!

Last edited:

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Great stuff.. I expect you could have eaten two of those fish suppers by the end of it !

Your not wrong mate :mrpig:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
10 miles today, 8.2 yesterday, both just doing utility runs to t he store. Father and son team breezed past me as I was leaving a road crossing, but I soon passed them and had the Fuji rolling along quite nicely compared to yesterday, with a change to a slightly smaller crankset. I then went home and had a grilled cheese sandwich, some gherkins, and kale.
89F
31C
Winds SW 13
Relative humidity 50%
Barometer 30.19 slow fall
Scattered clouds

rugby bloke

Veteran
Funny old ride yesterday, set off on the usual Sunday morning spin. Legs felt a little heavy after a day's gardening on Saturday but I thought I could ride it out. Approaching Santa Pod it was clear that it must be BMW day as there was a stream of Beamers passing me. What could have been some what unpleasant was fine, all the drivers leaving plenty of room. Quite a strong westerly wind drained the legs more in the middle 20 miles, so took a shorter route home to record 54 miles rather than the planned 60. Clearly strenuous gardening is damaging to my health and I will avoid it at all costs in future.

upload_2016-6-20_9-2-20.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/614071870

Got home to find the family had clubbed together to buy the perfect Father's Day pleasent - a set of SPD pedals and shoes ... They seemed to be determined to drag me into the realms of serious cycling so its good bye to the toe straps and hello to embarrassing falls ! My eldest lad has every confidence that this will add an extra 1 mph to my average speed .. we will see ..

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Not my ride today but my daughter's.. I think we will be on our bikes next time with her, just to keep up !

From Yate Station to the Road to Nowhere, and back, thence to the Ice Cream Van for a suitable reward. 3.75 miles in all. About 3.5 miles more than her furthest ride before now.

She was delighted and so were we. Perfect Fathers' Day stuff & a landmark/milestone in her cycling.

View attachment 132444 View attachment 132445 View attachment 132446
Great to see kids on bikes.:okay:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
A quick swim, sorry, spin out to Waldringfield Heath, this morning. Strangely enough, I only saw one other cyclist and I got the impression he was only out in the pouring rain because he had to be. (He laughed when I called out 'morning!'. I suspect it was because he knew what I was heading for - some of the deepest puddles I've ever had to ford. Still, the new wheelset on Patsy #2 The CX seem run-in now.)

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
After a truly awful morning of heavy rain it's finally stopped and the sun is out so I got the Whyte Coniston out for a trip down to the shops and bank. Along the 544 cycle route to Didcot to Sainsburys then round the back passed the station back on to The Broadway to the bank, then through the quiet roads of the council estate back to the 544 where I had a race with a stick thin spotty yoof on a Ridgeback MTB but he scalped me after a bit, but then, I am old enough to be is granddad and it was windy on the way back and I realised as I got home I was pedalling in the middle gear and not the big ring, if it wasn't for that I would've had him, the skinny oik. 6.78 miles.

2-IMG_2051.JPG

20.06.16.png

Top Bottom