Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Spring weather today, magic.
IMG_20150321_111317_zpsevzdpw0c.jpg

ScotiaLass

Guru
I didn't think I'd get on the bike today after yesterdays 31 miles :wacko:
But after I had done cleaning her (right down to the spokes!) I took a ride into town and back, 10½ miles.
It was lovely with blue skies, and although cool, it was still pleasant.
I was quite impressed with my new gloves and I'm just waiting on a bottle carrier that Mr SL bought me online, which matches the turquoise detail on Priscilla :smile:
I am looking forward to a hot bath after my stir fry, which is being cooked for me as I speak type.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Not long back from a quick spin out to Acton Burnell on the Raleigh. It was this bike's first proper outing of the year and the first proper test of the new Vittoria Voyager tyres which I thought might be a fairly good idea with ColinJ's forum ride coming up very soon.

Straight away the Raleigh feels very lively after riding the knockabout bike all winter and I found myself comfortably cruising at a pace which would be a flat out slog on the other bike. Of course having a tailwind was a help at this point.:whistle: The roads on this loop aren't the smoothest in the world so it was immediately noticeable that the new tyres give a nice supple ride compared to the Marathons, even though they are pumped up harder (80 psi front, 85 rear compared to 75/80). Me like.:okay:

One of the local hunts must have been out around the Acton Burnell area as there were horses & riders aplenty and 4x4s parked in most gateways. After Pitchford the traffic that had just passed me ended up slowing to look, thereby holding me up - slightly frustrating.:rolleyes:

At Longnor I turned north towards home and into the wind which slowed me a bit but not as much as I'd feared. Passing through Condover for the second time I thought that I'd struggle on the exposed stretch of road to the north of the village but by tucking down as best I could I managed to keep the speed up around 18-20 mph. Don't know how much of this is due to the new tyres and how much is due to riding a heavy bike through the winter.

A touch over 17 miles on this trip at a new personal best of 16.7mph average.:hyper: Really happy with that and I'm now wondering what I could manage in better weather conditions and with fresher legs.^_^

Levo-Lon

Guru
Did a bit of a wow this is a toughy today ,even the fit 40yr old son in law started to complain..lol nice that..
wind was just a bastid..did 28.4 miles all off road and a good hr in the quarry..managed to get to the pub for the England game.
28.4 miles 1800 cals and some mean hea winds..4.5 hrs average 9mph

Up by 04:30. Rode to Carlisle. Caught the 6:49 train to Preston. Rode to Fleetwood and crossed over to Knott End on the ferry. Rode to Lancaster used the cycle trail from Glasson Dock. Train from Lancaster to Carlisle Rode from Carlisle to home.55.50 miles in 6.34 hours of riding Good ride to Blackpool, very enjoyable, used some tracks I hadn't been on before then banged up against the wind to Fleetwood, couple of right dower characters operating the ferry. Had a touch of the verbal s with a white jag man near Glasson (two silly old so & so's , acting like spoilt teenagers) Really delightful ride from Glasson to Lancaster on thee old railway line. Arrived in Lancaster with two hours to spare. Had a a touch of the verbal,s (but only a touch) with some one who objected to me using the mobile to ring the wife in "a quiet coach" on the train (I hate mobile's with a passion and my normal conversation lasts less than two minutes) An excellent day, now it's time for a shower and three CrampX.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
3 Friday's ago I was driving down to Plymouth feeling like I had a bit of a cold. On the following Monday I went to Bridgwater to test and be measured for a Thorn Raven :hyper::hyper::hyper:. On the 5 mile test ride I was sweating like a sweaty thing and burning up, thinking "hello, here we go..." From the Tuesday until the Tuesday just gone I was a horrible, croaky, snotty virus ridden mess!

The reason for this laboured preamble to my ride is that before being ill I would have said I was "fairly fit". I wouldn't say I was back to square one, but I've certainly lost it:cry:

Before getting to Toft which is all of 2 miles (down hill) I was feeling awful, no rhythm, no nothing. I'd decided to go over Barrington hill to see what my legs were doing and the climbing bit was fine. There were plenty of other riders out.
The shire horses were looking impressive out in the sunshine at Wimpole, and I managed the Old Wimpole hill ok, but I was still feeling a bit crap. From the A1198 at Longstowe I headed left toward the fragrance free maggot farm, and the. At around 18 miles something fell into place, I was able to pick the pace up and feel like something was happening. After catching someone who I'd spied in the distance I decided to calm it down for the final 3 miles to home, no point blowing up is there!

So a lovely 31 miles at an average of 15.8mph was just the tonic.
I'm never being ill again, ever!

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
image.jpg
First proper ride in quite a while. I was plagued with noisy gears most of the way around. Odd, as I have friction downtube shifters. The general noise was joined by two other horseman of the the cycling apocalypse; namely jumping chain and annoying rattle.

The weather was quite nice. Short fingered gloves and a cotton riding cap were the accessories of choice and I didn't get cold. I also saw a small hatch of March Browns, a wonderfully delicate upwing fly.

In the last few miles of the hilly ride through Shropshire the chain came off completely. A closer look at home and all became very obvious:

Top Bottom